Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Rayo OKC

Default Re: OKC NASL Still Going to Happen

Quote Originally Posted by borchard View Post
    And as far as this "one fan on Twitter" thing? The last time I looked Rayo had over 1,600 followers between the English-speaking, and Spanish-speaking, twitter accounts. And that's after, really, less than two months. Going to have alot more in the future, but that's already about 100 more than a good Barons crowd.
    You think the Barons comment really bothers me? Lol. I am over that. But enjoy the 2 season Rayo Yukon will have before they are gone. Better hope Rayo Vallencano doesn't get relegated or it may happen sooner.

Man your hatred for a team that hasn't even played yet is absolutely childish. Look I really like the Energy and I hope they continue to get better and attendance stays stronger than ever but this NASL team that is playing in Yukon means nothing. If it was down the street from Taft then maybe it would effect it more but its 20 miles away. I thought it was absolutely disgusting that the rayo fans would bring energy gear to their games and I would hope the Grid or any Energy fans had nothing to do with it, I know this is a rivalry that started before these owners owed soccer teams but its well past time keep these threads about what the communities can do to support each team to the best of their abilities and not about why one is going to only last 2 seasons. ( step off soap box)

3. Default Re: OKC NASL Still Going to Happen

I think you might be a little dark on a lot of the details surrounding this. The reason the real Rayo fans hate this team is because the owner is investing in an American team that has no ties to the club and neglecting them. And the "hate" that kwhey has for that team was all brought on by Brad when he began trolling the Energy in the very beginning. Both Borchard and Rayo OKC deserve what they have coming to them.

A little dark? After he posted the image of the dozen rayo fans holding energy gear I read multiple stories because it baffled me so I'm fully aware a very small minority (by multiple Spanish paper accounts), don't like he is putting an undisclosed amount of money into an American soccer team. But neglecting them? Again multiple papers describe him as the best owner in the teams history of underachieving soccer. They nor has anyone been able to show how he is neglecting his team. That's like Thunder fans being mad the owners are spending their money on non thunder related ventures. The reality is the Energy are a solid team with great support and got the jump by two years, but it reflects on OKC if rayo fails and there should be more than enough support for both of these teams to do just fine.

Some guy posted all of these pics of their stadium, showing rusted hand rails, and seats that had bird crap on them. He tried to say that the owners money should go to fixing up the stadium, instead of to Rayo OKC. The reality is this, the owner has said already that he wanted to build a new stadium for the team. But the Rayo stadium is owned by the city. The city doesn't want to approve him building his OWN stadium, that he controls. Instead, they want him to put his money into fixing up THEIR stadium. He said no.

6. Default Re: OKC NASL Still Going to Happen

Support whoever you want but the message goes both ways. Borchard has been the biggest detractor of the Energy. And you're wrong. If the ultimate goal for either team is MLS, there absolutely is not enough room in this city for two teams.

Quote Originally Posted by hfry View Post
    A little dark? After he posted the image of the dozen rayo fans holding energy gear I read multiple stories because it baffled me so I'm fully aware a very small minority (by multiple Spanish paper accounts), don't like he is putting an undisclosed amount of money into an American soccer team. But neglecting them? Again multiple papers describe him as the best owner in the teams history of underachieving soccer. They nor has anyone been able to show how he is neglecting his team. That's like Thunder fans being mad the owners are spending their money on non thunder related ventures. The reality is the Energy are a solid team with great support and got the jump by two years, but it reflects on OKC if rayo fails and there should be more than enough support for both of these teams to do just fine.
    I want both teams to succeed, and hate each other. Rivalry drives sports like almost nothing else does. A true rivalry would help both teams.

Agreed. I hope they play every year and both fan supports are rabid in their hate for the others. But their is difference between that and saying "so is this happening cause they don't have a team and that must mean they are a failure." It's like bedlam football. Their is no love lost between fans and I feel it really creates a great rivalry.

Blog Entries

Both franchises should share success next season.

It would have been nice if they could have joined forces, built a 12,000 seat starter stadium with expansion capacity.

Right now, what we know about the MLS, the model favors more league profits & larger markets (more TV households) . Just don't really believe that anyone wants to invest that much capital into an MLS franchise that his little return. Maybe the MLS TV revenue stream could provide more for future team profitability.

Competitive balance at stake in MLS as some clubs set new spending pace | FOX Sports

If the NASL gets a TV contract; watchout, you could see the NASL expand its footprint into some really great markets.

Concern about where the USL is headed:

The USL is becoming more of an MLS2 development league. Cities like Sacramento, OKC, Rochester, Richmond, Tulsa & Louisville will have trouble attracting competitive talent. These markets will be at-risk in about two years.

You'll discover very quickly which of Oklahoma's two ULS cities is a hard town on losers.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    Support whoever you want but the message goes both ways. Borchard has been the biggest detractor of the Energy.
    Absolutely correct. And I will continue to not support them.
    And you're wrong. If the ultimate goal for either team is MLS, there absolutely is not enough room in this city for two teams.
    No one, that I have talked to on the NASL side, has MLS aspirations. They want to be in the NASL. All money they make is theirs. Any TV contract that they get is theirs. When I watched Don Garber give the Eastern Conference trophy to Columbus this year, he introduced the Columbus head as the "Investor/Operator of Columbus SC..."?!? NOT the owner, because he isnt.
    And if it's the energy management throwing out the MLS balloon (and they have. I navigated to a survey they posted last year) then shame on them. They have neither the ambition, not the wherewithal to make that happen. Trying to sell that to their fans is a mistake, at best, and completely disingenuous at worst. Oklahoma City will NOT get an MLS team. We had a chance 14yrs ago, and Bob Funk Sr. bought the Redhawks, instead. Now, the franchise fee is 10x what it was, and NFL and NBA owners are clamoring to get in. We have ZERO chance of MLS. As @Laramie has pointed out
    MLS, the model favors more league profits & larger markets (more TV households) . Just don't really believe that anyone wants to invest that much capital into an MLS franchise that his little return.
    MLS is a corporate conglomerate, instead of a collection of independent teams. And there are far too many larger, more well-healed potential "investors" out there.
    So be happy where you are. I want OKC to be the best NASL franchise there is. If you are an energy supporter, then make them the best USL team. But stop wishing for MLS. It. AINT. GONNA. HAPPEN.

Columbus arena sparks opening of convenience store, bringing Twizzlers to struggling local economy | Field of Schemes
    In related news, the Chicago suburb of Bridgeview just sold another $16 million worth of bonds to help pay off its money-losing Chicago Fire MLS stadium, but this year a new gas station opened nearby.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Oklahoma City went about building the Chesapeake Energy Arena the right way; debt free penny sales tax.

Glad that Oklahoma City didn't get what Columbus' wrestled away from us in that final decision hour; 4th NHL '97 expansion franchise. Nationwide of Columbus stepped in to steal that final NHL franchise which was signed and not sealed to deliver to OKC's group (Ron Norick & Clay Bennett).

http://newsok.com/article/3683005

If we decide to build a soccer stadium on the riverfront; build a 12,000-15,000 seat starter, something in the $25 million range without all the bells & whistles that could host local events downtown; eventually bring NASL or USL to the downtown area were there is more restaurant & family atmosphere support.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rayo charter prep.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	11952
    Good to see the team getting out int he comunity

Rayo OKC set to name Ex-Scorpions Boss Alen Marcina as First Coach - Empire of Soccer

Marcina was an assistant with the Scorpions when the club finished on top of the points table during its inaugural season in 2012. The Canadian-born coach then took over midway through the following year when current Indy Eleven coach Tim Hankinson was sacked.

The Scorpions removed the interim tag from Marcina’s job title for the following year and it paid off well for both sides. Under Marcina in 2014, the Scorpions were first in goals allowed (24) and second goals scored (43) in the 27-game regular season. The Scorpions capitalized on those advantageous numbers by claiming the Fall Season title to clinch a playoff spot and they then took home the ultimate prize of the Soccer Bowl trophy in the championship final.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CX4nT8xUEAAF-ec.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	12033

18. Default Re: OKC NASL Still Going to Happen

If the first pint is really on them I might show up and grab one then leave, going to Slims tomorrow anyway and it's on the way.

Went to the press conference today and met the General Manager and listened to the comments from the new coach.

Pretty impressive organization and well-done event. Good crowd, too.

This team will have a substantially larger payroll than the Energy and we might see some MLS players on the way up or down.

The new coach promised an attacking, dynamic style of play and his previous teams have scored lots of goals. He is also a native Spanish-speaker and made some remarks in Spanish to the delete of the Latinos in the crowd.

Rayo's association with Rayo Vallecano of Madrid is an interesting wrinkle.

Rayo OKC names Alen Marcina head coach | News OK
    Great crowd at the press conference. Looking forward to the season. I talked to one of the owners who told me that they already have 5 players signed. They are just waiting fro NASL approval to introduce them, probably next week?
    Of the 5 players;
    All FIVE have played in MLS
    THREE have National Team experience

Kind of surprised that no one has posted this post here (or maybe I missed it). It's from November 2015.

Rayo OKC is hilariously bad and could be a catastrophic failure for the NASL - Black And Red United

Rayo OKC names Alen Marcina head coach | News OK
    Great crowd at the press conference. Looking forward to the season. I talked to one of the owners who told me that they already have 5 players signed. They are just waiting fro NASL approval to introduce them, probably next week?
    Of the 5 players;
    All FIVE have played in MLS
    THREE have National Team experience
    What national team? There are national team players playing in USL as well.

23. Default Re: OKC NASL Still Going to Happen

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Kind of surprised that no one has posted this post here (or maybe I missed it). It's from November 2015.

Rayo OKC is hilariously bad and could be a catastrophic failure for the NASL - Black And Red United
    While I think I agree with most of the criticisms, it should also be pointed out that this is from an MLS fan blog and they are always biased against NASL.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    What national team? There are national team players playing in USL as well.
    Well outstanding! I never said there weren't? But apparently, Rayo OKC will have at least three players with world national team experience, and at least 5 with MLS experience. I think that's a real positive thing

Well outstanding! I never said there weren't? But apparently, Rayo OKC will have at least three players with world national team experience, and at least 5 with MLS experience. I think that's a real positive thing
    What is "world national team?"

Sure it's positive, I never said it wasn't?

Thread Information