Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Deep Deuce District

Default Re: Deep Deuce District

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    Does anyone have any info about the townhouse and separate residence being built on the west end of 3rd street, near the tracks? And is there another separate residence going between Maywood II and the townhouses along Oklahoma?
    Those are all private homes being built, two on 3rd and the other one between the brownstones and Maywood II.

Really had a fun time at the DD Christmas Crawl last night.

There were hundreds of people out, most in Christmas costumes or PJ's or other regalia and by the time we packed it in around 10:30, both WSKY and Slaughter's Hall were absolutely packed and pumping.

As I commented to my friends, it's amazing to see this many people out in this district considering there was almost nothing here just a few short years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Really had a fun time at the DD Christmas Crawl last night.

There were hundreds of people out, most in Christmas costumes or PJ's or other regalia and by the time we packed it in around 10:30, both WSKY and Slaughter's Hall were absolutely packed and pumping.

As I commented to my friends, it's amazing to see this many people out in this district considering there was almost nothing here just a few short years ago.

Came out for a little bit despite my cold between 10:30 and midnight and it was even more packed after this! Good crowd and a completely different event in terms of attendance from what it started as 3 (?) years ago when I first went. Some pretty funny costumes, too.

Definitely they need to do this in the summer sometime.

5. Default Re: Deep Deuce District

Posted this in the wrong thread a second ago: I just noticed on Redfin two lots for sale on 3rd. I wonder if someone will end up building something similar to the firehouse home on 1st.

Sign is getting ready to go up on the 2nd Street rail bridge.

Will be a great gateway into the district and help to further define it:

^
    I agree! Can't wait to see it go up!

Perfect. Maybe this will help cut down on the amount of people thinking I am speaking specifically of the Deep Deuce Apartments whenever I mention something being in Deep Deuce.

9. Default Re: Deep Deuce District

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Perfect. Maybe this will help cut down on the amount of people thinking I am speaking specifically of the Deep Deuce Apartments whenever I mention something being in Deep Deuce.
    Ha, yes this gets very annoying. The sign looks great, can't wait to see it up. Now if they could just get the lighting under the bridge sorted out.

I saw some signs in Norman near campus earlier this week that said "Don't Deep Deuce My Neighborhood." Does anyone have an idea what that means?

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I saw some signs in Norman near campus earlier this week that said "Don't Deep Deuce My Neighborhood." Does anyone have an idea what that means?
    Probably an anti-gentrification sentiment.

Blog Entries

I translate it as "don't crap on my lawn"

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Probably an anti-gentrification sentiment.
    Gentrification is bad in a lot of areas. Mainly big cities where people are pushed out because of it in areas around the core. I can give tons of examples of this in Los Angeles. Oklahoma City could use gentrification in a lot of areas, but gentrification is not always a good thing.

In the Campus Corner case, I'd be for more gentrification though I'm not sure if it needs it. Some new urban infill to connect OU with downtown Norman would be great.

I wonder if the owners of the Deep Deuce apartments are wishing they could make the investment to turn all of their surface parking into underground parking and build more units. So much of that area is parking.

15. Default Re: Deep Deuce District

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Gentrification is bad in a lot of areas. Mainly big cities where people are pushed out because of it in areas around the core. I can give tons of examples of this in Los Angeles. Oklahoma City could use gentrification in a lot of areas, but gentrification is not always a good thing.

In the Campus Corner case, I'd be for more gentrification though I'm not sure if it needs it. Some new urban infill to connect OU with downtown Norman would be great.
    I was pushed out of the Campus Corner area because of gentrification. My house/apartment thing was sold and the new owners raised rent up $100 every time a lease was up so that people would move out so he could fix it up and re-rent at twice as much. I liked the area, but it became a den of rich kids and mcmansions. So many houses around me got demolished and rebuilt as stupidly large, cheaply built luxury homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Beard Face View Post
    I was pushed out of the Campus Corner area because of gentrification. My house/apartment thing was sold and the new owners raised rent up $100 every time a lease was up so that people would move out so he could fix it up and re-rent at twice as much. I liked the area, but it became a den of rich kids and mcmansions. So many houses around me got demolished and rebuilt as stupidly large, cheaply built luxury homes.
    I hate when older homes get torn down and they overbuild the lot with something too large. It just looks out of place and dumb. And there's nothing wrong with those older homes if they're fixed up and kept nice.

Approved by Board of Adjustment today so sign should go up within the next couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    Approved by Board of Adjustment today so sign should go up within the next couple of months.
    Excellent.

Will finally create a formal entry point to a very underrated urban district.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Boutique Hotel Indigo with retail planned for Deep Deuce ($): http://www.oklahoman.com/login?refer...o_redirect=yes
    Any word on this? Still a go or has it flamed out?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Any word on this? Still a go or has it flamed out?
    That story was almost a year ago and they haven't filed any sort of design plans.

Perhaps they are waiting to first finish and open the Springhill Suites project.

This angle really shows the emerging density of Deuce Deuce and Bricktown.

Outstanding picture. Thanks for sharing.

So much better than the year 2000! Great pic, Pete!!

Really needs some landscaping and trees tbh. I love the buildings but the entire area from that angle looks so bare.

It's an amazing transformation. Look at the street view for that area in 2007/2008 and see how many of those lots were just bare. The apartment buildings weren't there, Aloft wasn't there, OKSea wasn't there. About the only thing that was in the area were the row houses on 3rd St.

Thread Information