Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Breweries

Default Re: Oklahoma Breweries

^

That's a very cool building. Hope they leave it somewhat rustic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mballard85 View Post
    I agree on Welltown's location, they should make so much money with all the shows at both the Brady and Cains, but also the BOK. Unfortunately I did not like their beer very much, but that doesn't mean they don't do good work, just not my style. I hope they are a success because the facility is amazing, the taproom is about as high quality as you will find in OK and the brewery is open to the street via large windows.
    I liked a couple of their IPA’s but beer wise we were blown away by Marshall. It was so refreshing to find a brewery that makes beer that people will actually drink and enjoy. They didn’t have jalapeño sour rum crap they served Oktoberfest, Amber, IPA, wheat, lager etc. Wish all the OK breweries tried to outdo each other taste and quality wise instead of unique and novelty wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

That's a very cool building. Hope they leave it somewhat rustic.
    Ity's on the National register of historuc places so it will remain very rustic! It was an old bullet manufacturing plant for WW2

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Updated Tulsa brewery list - all of these are located in midtown/downtown:

8. Heirloom Rustic Ales (2113 E. Admiral Blvd.) - Kendall-Whittier - under construction
    Heirloom has been open for about 10 months now. Great taproom with some killer lagers and farmhouse beers.

Are all the local breweries now open until midnight?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Are all the local breweries now open until midnight?
    They just no longer have to close at 9PM.

Each taproom is doing their own thing and hours vary... But generally, all will now be staying open later than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They just no longer have to close at 9PM.

Each taproom is doing their own thing and hours vary... But generally, all will now be staying open later than before.
    this.. having talked with most around OKC... most right now plan to keep previous hours of operation... but this allows them more flexibility when they have special events and parties.

Stopped by Prairie today, they are going to stay open til 10 on weeknights and midnight on Friday/Saturday with the ability to stay open later at bartenders discretion. They said they are really excited because before they couldn't serve most beers after 9 if there was a big game on. Tonight, they plan to stay open later than 10 for anyone watching Monday Night Football. I believe most Downtown OKC Breweries will at least stay open until 11 or midnight on Fridays and Saturdays!

Also, something overlooked is you can now bring your whole family to the taproom/brewery. I think this is really cool and a great change! Could definitely see our friends sitting around playing a board game, but couldn't do that before with the kiddos.

Very excited about the longer hours and all ages welcome. Just need some of that space to get built out around Prairie and have a restaurant or two. Anybody know what the holdup is there?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb911 View Post
    Very excited about the longer hours and all ages welcome. Just need some of that space to get built out around Prairie and have a restaurant or two. Anybody know what the holdup is there?
    Magain Table should be opening in the next month or two:

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=43824

Lively Beer Works launch party tonight at Bleu Garten at 6. Unveiling their IPA. All are welcome.

https://twitter.com/livelybeerworks/...148843520?s=21

Surprised no mention of SB424 passing allowing legal taproom sales of all beer, not just low point? The most recent changes certainly help our local breweries gain more exposure but 424 passing two years ago was HUGE for our local beer scene. This alone allows a brewery to open and survive strictly selling pints and growlers across the bar. Expect more "nano" style breweries to open because of 424. Likewise we'll see more brewpubs now that they aren't restricted to selling only low point beers.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    They are also taking into consideration the future of this location... And remember there is going to be a new concert/sports venue built nearby. Sometimes it’s not about the right now. It’s about the future.
    Exactly what I'm thinking. 24th is filling up and that new complex will bring a lot more traffic to the area. Plus they are conveniently located right off the interstate.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I guess that’s really my point. Not saying it needs to be proximate to OKC breweries; being close to other breweries in Norman is great but I’d think if they both were BOTH easily walkable/bikable to each other and also to either Main or Campus Corner would be even better. For instance Main and Porter vicinity. Much better for creation of a Norman brewing “scene.”
    Lazy Circles brewery is at Main and Porter, they've been open a year now. And there's another brewery in planning (BiG Brewing) just two blocks west of them on Main. Also Beau (Crossed Cannons) has mentioned Norman as their future home, although he told me that before BiG and Black Mesa had breweries building out in Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb911 View Post
    Does Bricktown Brewery actually do any brewing at that location anymore? I'm not in there frequently enough, and never see any actual brewing happening when I am. I assume they do everything off-site now, but have no idea.
    My understanding is they still brew there for the Bricktown location. They are however also brewing off-site for all of their satellite locations. They purchased the old Huebert brewery for their off-site brewing.

Angry Scotsman is having a 1 year anniversary party this Saturday along with a grand opening of their new brewery however it sounds like the inside taproom space won't be completed until the end of the year (which means likely longer) and no timeline given for the outside beer garden.
    https://www.facebook.com/28511970008...6378534490081/

Vanessa House has a grand opening event next Saturday, 27 October. If you follow their social media you've likely seen the pictures of their brewery in Automobile Alley, it looks very nice.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1997...97412273655370

14. Default Re: Oklahoma Breweries

Quote Originally Posted by bille View Post
    Angry Scotsman is having a 1 year anniversary party this Saturday along with a grand opening of their new brewery however it sounds like the inside taproom space won't be completed until the end of the year (which means likely longer) and no timeline given for the outside beer garden.
    https://www.facebook.com/28511970008...6378534490081/
    I stopped by Black Mesa last Friday and hung out for awhile and they are on about the same time frame... They were up and brewing but still had quite a bit of work to do on the interior. Said they were hoping for an early 2019 opening on their tap room.

Sad to report that Twisted Spike is closing up shop. One of my favorites and one of the first brewery and taprooms in the urban core. It was a place that gave folks a reason to turn east on 10th Street.

From their Facebook page:

No Tears in Your Beers!
    Thanks for 7 Years!
    This Train is Leaving the Station!
    �� Thanks for the Ride!!
    Twisted Spike will be closing its doors on Sept 30th. Please come celebrate the Ride with us all month!! There will be specials, events, reminiscing, beer discounts and lots of toasts!
    Help us close out this month strong ���� and please support our amazing staff!! ����������

The margins are too slim, and the market is so oversaturated at this point. We are going to see more breweries closing soon than we want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    The margins are too slim, and the market is so oversaturated at this point. We are going to see more breweries closing soon than we want to see.
    margins actually are really good in a taproom. you cut out all of the middleman costs, and are able to make good money per product. margins aren't the problem, it's the cheap cost. you need people to buy multiple drinks and for the place to be consistently busy.

but yes, the market is very much over saturated, and you will see those that can't attract, either by bad location or bad beer, to start to go under. that was the problem here. twisted spike was in a horrible location. it made it difficult to get to, and easy to forget except right when you were driving by.

18. Default Re: Oklahoma Breweries

If anyone is around Norman next weekend, Friday the 29th is the 3rd annual Brewtoberfest. All local Norman breweries. A good time we enjoy yearly.

https://www.travelok.com/listings/vi...id.33032/35986

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    margins actually are really good in a taproom. you cut out all of the middleman costs, and are able to make good money per product. margins aren't the problem, it's the cheap cost. you need people to buy multiple drinks and for the place to be consistently busy.

but yes, the market is very much over saturated, and you will see those that can't attract, either by bad location or bad beer, to start to go under. that was the problem here. twisted spike was in a horrible location. it made it difficult to get to, and easy to forget except right when you were driving by.
    Profit margins after factoring in rent, labor, utilities and all other associated costs are not good for smaller breweries. An LBW program in a bar, restaurant, or club will clean house. Most of the smaller breweries are absolutely getting eaten alive by costs. We have brewers going back to their day jobs to float the business at several of the smaller breweries.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    Profit margins after factoring in rent, labor, utilities and all other associated costs are not good for smaller breweries. An LBW program in a bar, restaurant, or club will clean house. Most of the smaller breweries are absolutely getting eaten alive by costs. We have brewers going back to their day jobs to float the business at several of the smaller breweries.
    sorry, i thought you were talking about the actual margins on the product... those are good. yes, overall profit margins for the business as a whole can be difficult.

21. Default Re: Oklahoma Breweries

Hey, everyone! ELK VALLEY just posted on IG about a triumphant return!

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    Hey, everyone! ELK VALLEY just posted on IG about a triumphant return!
    a little strange they put a message on their IG @elkvalleybrew pointing people to their new IG @elkvalleybeer is says "Elk Valley Beer is coming back! Follow us and turn on notifications for upcoming releases."

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    a little strange they put a message on their IG @elkvalleybrew pointing people to their new IG @elkvalleybeer is says "Elk Valley Beer is coming back! Follow us and turn on notifications for upcoming releases."
    I bet there was at least a partial change in ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    John recently completed the sale of Elk Valley. I'm probably wrong, but I believe it is to a group of people starting a brewery in Tulsa called New Story Brewing.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    sorry, i thought you were talking about the actual margins on the product... those are good. yes, overall profit margins for the business as a whole can be difficult.
    Net profit margins are low because they put way too much money into the build out of the tap room. Tap rooms in general should not be in high rent areas because people will travel for good beer. Stone cloud is probably the only one that will survive that decision if I was a betting person.

Thread Information