Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Breweries

Default Re: Oklahoma Breweries

I sure wish more of them had taprooms. When visiting Atlanta I went to Red Hare Brewery. they do tours and tastings on Thurs, Fri and saturdays for 2 hours. they have some laws that make it so you have to purchase a glass and with the glass you get 6 tastings. I don't know if its similar to our 12oz rule and suppose to be 6x 2oz samples but they were all nearly full. Great beer and they had a band and tours of the brewery. was a great time. would love to see some of the local breweries around here do similar. I know Roughtail has a Tap room and I just bought 4 Tours on Groupon for them.. Great deal.. 24 bucks for 4 pint glasses, 24 x 2 oz samples and 4x 32 oz growlers..

Been meaning to hit up the Roughtail tasting room. Mustang has a tasting room open on Saturdays as well, been a couple of times. Actually need to get back to get a growler fill.
    Marshall and Prairie each have one in Tulsa. Pretty sure Prairie shares theirs with Choc since they are both brewed out of Petes.

I need to check out Mustang then..

4. Default Re: Oklahoma Breweries

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    Updating the list...

Choc Beer Co
    Prairie Artisan Ales
    COOP Ale Works
    Roughtail Brewing Co
    Mustang Brewing Co
    Anthem Brewing Co
    Battered Boar
    Black Mesa
    Dead Armadillo
    Huebert Brewing
    Redbud Brewing
    Marshall Brewing
    Iron Monk
    Elk Valley
    Willows Family (think its an offshoot of Prairie?)
    ...and Renaissance Brewing Co. out of Tulsa.

5. Default Re: Oklahoma Breweries

Is Mustang brewing any significant percentage of their product in the state of Oklahoma yet? Honest question; I haven't kept up. I know a couple of years ago they had plans to replace a little bit of their out-of-state contract brewing and actually making some beer themselves, but that they had some setbacks.

7. Default Re: Oklahoma Breweries

Good news if true!

Roughtail taproom is a great place.. Check it out!!

9. Default Re: Oklahoma Breweries

I need to. Their 12th Round is one of my favorite Oklahoma brews. They're doing a great job.

Last night I enjoyed a large bottle of Anthem Count Pedro ale. It's aged in tequila barrels and finished with habanero peppers. It was really good. There was a touch of "heat/spice" but not anything very hot. Anybody know a nice bar that has Count Pedro?
    C. T.

Their web page lists locations, but not what beer is available at the locations.
    C. T.

12. Default Re: Oklahoma Breweries

Black Mesa posted renderings of the brewery they are building in Norman yesterday.

https://www.facebook.com/BlackMesaBr...33951479995526

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Black Mesa posted renderings of the brewery they are building in Norman yesterday.

https://www.facebook.com/BlackMesaBr...33951479995526
    I saw that and was trying to picture the location, which is 3901 N. Flood in Norman.

Below is a map; you can see the new brewery will be just south of where you take the north campus exit off I-35 and just north of the OnCue.

I know at one time they were actively looking for a location around downtown OKC.

14. Default Re: Oklahoma Breweries

It’s just south of that pond. I thought I sent you a pic a few months ago showing where it was to be when they announced Norman.

15. Default Re: Oklahoma Breweries

Man I think that is an unfortunate decision, unless they plan on making this just a brewing site and opening a tasting room elsewhere, which still doesn’t make much sense. Considering the changes in the laws, tasting rooms are going to be a great way for breweries to engage with the public and to build brand loyalty, not to mention decent profit centers. And people are much more likely to visit tasting rooms and to tour breweries if they are not too far off the beaten path; even better if they are clustered with other breweries.

I say this not only as someone who has toured breweries and visited tasting rooms in cities all over the U.S. - and as someone who regularly drinks at tasting rooms in OKC - but also as someone who knows for a fact that when COOP picked their off-the-beaten-path industrial brewery location a few years ago they did so only because they bet (incorrectly) that laws would not change very soon.

They were instead focusing on a location that would allow easy distribution and expansion to other markets. They achieved this, but I’ll promise you that in retrospect they regretted not being closer to the emerging on-premises market in OKC and are now having to spend tons of cash to stay in front of local consumers via sponsored events, pay-to-play at Thunder games, etc.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I’d think Black Mesa would want to avoid cutting out the local/visitor market with an odd location.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    It’s just south of that pond. I thought I sent you a pic a few months ago showing where it was to be when they announced Norman.
    You probably did but the whole thing didn't register for some reason! Sorry about that.

Yeah, I don’t get this location. It’s not really near much.

Here is the rendering from the Black Mesa Facebook site :

I kind of agree that it would probably be better to be somewhere centralized, but 405 is just up the road from there in the middle of the industrial area and it seems to be doing well anecdotally. Always packed whenever I'm there.

20. Default Re: Oklahoma Breweries

They may still do a tasting room downtown OKC but they are kicking around a lot of ideas for this location.

They are also taking into consideration the future of this location... And remember there is going to be a new concert/sports venue built nearby. Sometimes it’s not about the right now. It’s about the future.

Went to Stonecloud and Prairie today. Prairie's space is cool but to me a bit sterile. Also, doesn't help the beer I had was terrible.

Stonecloud on the other hand was great, the work put in to that building is amazing and the beers are great.

Prairie will be a lot better when the Vietnamese restaurant opens and they get tenants for what should be a small food court on the other side of the public space from Prairie.

Yeah I meant to quality my post with something about it being incomplete. The space is nice and well done, was just something lacking. It was also eerily quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    I kind of agree that it would probably be better to be somewhere centralized, but 405 is just up the road from there in the middle of the industrial area and it seems to be doing well anecdotally. Always packed whenever I'm there.
    Agree with this as well as the fact mentioned by BBQ that the area is developing with the proposed athletic venue. One needs to keep in mind that this is still less than 5 miles to downtown Norman and relatively close to 405 brewing. Other considerations need to be made when opening a facility like this other than can people walk here from a restaurant/ entertainment venue. Norman is not OKC and this will not be as far flung as Coop is from the city center. The site would also allow travellers easy off-on to I-35, thereby getting those people to stop in Norman and entice them to UNP or downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    ... Prairie's space is cool but to me a bit sterile. Also, doesn't help the beer I had was terrible.
    What were you drinking? Prairie has some great offerings right now. I am super impressed with everything the local breweries are producing. Prairie, Stonecloud, Anthem, Twisted Spike, etc. all are making adventurous and exciting beers.

My favorite part of the newly concentrated brewery situation in downtown OKC is that each brewery is developing their own little "niche" of beers. For example, Stonecloud seems most interested in testing new sours while Prairie always has a great collection of stouts.

I'm not concerned about the "sterility" of the space. Once the 8th St Market opens one or two more shops/eateries that space is going to be HOPPIN'.

Thread Information