Widgets Magazine
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 282930313233

Thread: General Weather Discussion - April 2014

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - April 2014

They are expecting another big tornado day in the south east.

One of the things I sometimes do is go on line and watch the TV media coverage in other locations
    Nowhere else is the TV Tornado coverage anywhere near as good as in OKC, even in much bigger city’s.

As much as some complain here about our coverage we should really learn that in spite of a few mistakes its still the very best TV tornado coverage available anywhere in the world.

It sounds like adaniel and I are family. We have family in the same areas.

Ignorance is bliss but dangerous. Weather here seems a lot scarier because the meteorologists go far more in depth and explain everything that could possibly happen. In other cities they will simply say they are expecting strong to severe thunderstorms, people will go about their day, and then a tornado with baseball sized hail will strike.

4. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - April 2014

One of these things is not like the others ...
    Those tornado tracks up above the Mason Dixon ... why do they tend more south to north when ours and the ones east of us tend to move SW to NE?

6. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - April 2014

Just depends on the setup. Those were focused around the upper level storm system and the air flow was around the low up there.

Do we need to cover our tomato plants Wed night/Thurs morning? All 3 TV stations are saying we could have a frost but have their forecast temps at 37-40 for that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    It sounds like adaniel and I are family. We have family in the same areas.
    Ha! don't know how I missed this but its funny how many "kinfolk" I have in that area. If you were curious we have family in both Tupelo and Saltillo if you know where that is. Also our family that was hit in AL lived in Pleasant Grove, but most of the people I am related to live in and around Hoover, just south of Birmingham.

While its not my cup of tea per say, its a nice area with good people.

This is sort of weather related. Has somebody bought the weather channel? It seems a bit off to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    This is sort of weather related. Has somebody bought the weather channel? It seems a bit off to me.
    Living in Oklahoma, I would never pay attention to the weather channel. The local meteorologists, even with the hype, do a much better job.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Living in Oklahoma, I would never pay attention to the weather channel. The local meteorologists, even with the hype, do a much better job.
    Of course that depends on if you might be interested in the weather in other areas. Many people travel regularly and need to know what's happening in other parts of the country or world. I

What is the hate with the Weather Channel around here? Pretty much, every forecast I've seen from them, is just as accurate as the locals here....

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    What is the hate with the Weather Channel around here? Pretty much, every forecast I've seen from them, is just as accurate as the locals here....
    I lost interest in them a long time ago when they forced out their founder, John Coleman, and since transformed into a huge weather hype machine, along with some other issues behind the scenes I just felt departed from the simple mission of covering the weather. They then turned into this fear machine with a general tenor much like this idiotic TORCON nonsense to "naming" winter storms. They changed from covering the weather to airing wave after wave of silly TV shows in much the same way MTV lost its way by no longer showing music videos. When TWC started, they had a really simple and effectively executed mission of covering the weather. It wasn't sexy, it wasn't exciting, but it was reliable, pretty darned accurate, and available. Somewhere along the way, they decided their Q-ratings, or their happy talk factor, or their collective female skirt level (take your pick), wasn't high enough, and they sold their soul out.

Realize that's just my opinion, and others may differ, but since you asked, thought I'd offer up as honest an opinion as I could. This thread is *the* best place to get effective local weather info, IMHO, and then pick your favorite local resource (twitter, radio, local TV) when it gets down to the literal street level at tornado time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    It's owned by NBCUniversal and several investment firms. Read into that what you will...

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I don't watch the local mets or TWC. All the basic weather info you need is readily available online. For a simple forecast just go to the NWS Norman page. It also has good graphical forecasts and radar. These threads are also good for severe weather.

16. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - April 2014

To avoid any confusion, probably a good idea to wrap up discussions in the April thread.

Thread Information