Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 Grocery Chains

Default Top 5 Grocery Chains

Matt Lauer from the Today Show was interviewing a correspondent from Consumer Magazine on a segment about the top grocery chains in America. Here is the breakdown on those establishments.

1. Wegman's - Found predominately on the East Coast.

2. Trader Joe's - West Coast but rapidly expanding nationwide.

3. Publix- Florida based found predominately in the Southeastern USA

4. Costco- Seattle based expanding at a rapid pace.

#55 Walmart - Bentonville, Arkansas based found all over the USA.

Default Re: Top 5 Grocery Chains

Yes. Walmart is number #55 so I am sorry for the title being a little misleading, however, I was not able to go back to edit it. Anyway, hoping OKC lands Trader Joes.

Sad that OKC doesn't have any of these. There is rumors of Trader Joe's but such has been the case for several years now. Same with Costco.

Walmart finished dead last in a popularity contest. Go figure.

Wegmans is amazing . . . closest thing I've seen to it in this part of the country is Central Market. I would love to see something like this in the metro . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Walmart finished dead last in a popularity contest. Go figure.
    That probably say a lot about who votes as much as anything. If people vote with their wallets it won't be last.

Sprouts was #5.

OKC will have Trader Joe's within a year and a Costco within 2 years.

So a positive way to look at this is to say we will have become the target of 3 of the 5 top grocery chains in just the last few years, not even including Whole Foods and the expansion of Uptown Grocery.

Things are improving very rapidly.

Here is the Top 10:

We also already have Aldi and I'm pretty darn sure we are getting WinCo soon.

And obviously, price is a strong consideration here otherwise you wouldn't see Costco, Aldi, Sprouts and WinCo on this list. All are very bare-bones and rely on low prices as their main draw.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    That probably say a lot about who votes as much as anything. If people vote with their wallets it won't be last.
    Wal-Mart is terrible as a grocery store in about every way except for their prices. In other cities that have a multitude of other options to choose from, Wal-Mart grocery shoppers generally do so for the convenience of one-stop shopping more than it being a good grocery store. It's also not always the cheapest.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Here is the Top 10:

We also already have Aldi and I'm pretty darn sure we are getting WinCo soon.

And obviously, price is a strong consideration here otherwise you wouldn't see Costco, Aldi, Sprouts and WinCo on this list. All are very bare-bones and rely on low prices as their main draw.
    Yes, price is a key factor. But most places have a variety of options ranging from bare-bones/low prices to high-quality/high prices. Unfortunately, the options in the metro are heavily concentrated at the bottom of this continuum, with very few options on the high end.

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock View Post
    Yes, price is a key factor. But most places have a variety of options ranging from bare-bones/low prices to high-quality/high prices. Unfortunately, the options in the metro are heavily concentrated at the bottom of this continuum, with very few options on the high end.
    Or mid-range. Most of the stores on the list above are mid-range with a few low-end ones. You don't see Whole Foods, Fresh Market, or Central Market listed, which are true high-end stores. I don't consider Trader Joe's to be high-end. What OKC is lacking is the solid, middle of the road, go-to grocer like Reasor's in Tulsa. I think the OKC grocery market is very slowly correcting itself, but we would be in much better shape had Safeway not spun off Oklahoma's stores into Homeland.

We went to the Trader Joe's in Greenwood Village that just opened up, not the one with alcohol that location is east of Downtown Denver. We were not that impressed, seemed to be more hype than substance. Just like with Whole Foods, Sprouts or the King Soopers Fresh Market they had some items we don't normally see at a regular King Soopers or WMNH but nothing that would compel us to shop there unless we were looking for a specific item. Reminded me of a smaller Sunflower before they merged with Sprouts.

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock View Post
    That is changing, and pretty rapidly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Or mid-range. Most of the stores on the list above are mid-range with a few low-end ones. You don't see Whole Foods, Fresh Market, or Central Market listed, which are true high-end stores. I don't consider Trader Joe's to be high-end. What OKC is lacking is the solid, middle of the road, go-to grocer like Reasor's in Tulsa. I think the OKC grocery market is very slowly correcting itself, but we would be in much better shape had Safeway not spun off Oklahoma's stores into Homeland.
    Curious where you value Crest...particularly their new stores. I know you think nothing in OKC is quite as good as elsewhere, but Reasors and Crests is pretty comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Curious where you value Crest...particularly their new stores. I know you think nothing in OKC is quite as good as elsewhere, but Reasors and Crests is pretty comparable.
    The new Crest on S 104th and May as well as the one in Norman are solid stores. The older format, which is still most locations, leaves a lot to be desired. Once Crest has Fresh Market format stores conveniently accessible to most parts of the metro area, then I would say they are comparable to Reasor's. I am looking forward to Uptown Grocery at Britton and May. Now I won't have to drive all the way to Buy for Less on NW Expressway.

One Wegmans in Core to Shore and the entire area would fully develop within 5 years.

Grocery options in the city are clearly improving. Besides the stores already mentioned, there are a few nice specialty grocers that are worth checking out. There's Akin's for those who want organic food (they even have a nice sugar free snack section); Super Cao Nguyen has so many specialty foods and a great fresh fish selection, along with some of my favorite vegetables; Native Roots may be small, but it packs a punch (I never get out of there under budget); and I've only been to one grocery store on Commerce Street, but again it added variety.

The future is bright. I'm excited about Uptown Grocery/Buy4Less investing in the northeast side , Trader Joes entering the market, and I've got to believe a full-scale grocer is headed downtown soon.

Quote Originally Posted by boitoirich View Post
    The future is bright. I'm excited about Uptown Grocery/Buy4Less investing in the northeast side , Trader Joes entering the market, and I've got to believe a full-scale grocer is headed downtown soon.
    I am really hoping it ends up being Buy for Less with a "Midtown Grocery" concept tailored to downtown OKC. That would be so much better than a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market setting up shop.

^ That would be a home run. And I would recommend they look at Walmart's DC urban store designs -- especially H Street.

Man, I miss Publix. They have the best subs at their deli counter. I'm headed back to the south next week for a visit, and getting a grocery store sub is pretty high on my to do list.

Publix are very nice as is Harris Teeter. They are a step above Kroger. I personally find Uptown Grocery to be the closest thing we have to that type of store in OKC. It's exciting that they are adding another location.

Being from South Carolina, I would love to see a Harris Teeter in my neighborhood!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Heaton View Post
    Being from South Carolina, I would love to see a Harris Teeter in my neighborhood!
    Agreed. I was within walking distance of a flagship 24-hour Harris Teeter when I lived in Charlotte, probably the second best grocery store in the metro next to the Morrocroft Harris Teeter. I really do miss that grocery store.

Agreed. I was within walking distance of a flagship 24-hour Harris Teeter when I lived in Charlotte, probably the second best grocery store in the metro next to the Morrocroft Harris Teeter. I really do miss that grocery store.
    We had a Harris Teeter right outside the Main Gate of Shaw AFB in Sumter, SC. Equally important was that they hired a good many military dependents.

One thing I miss about Harris Teeter is they always were well-staffed so it was quick in and out. I was at a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market last week and it was 6PM, slammed busy, and only a single cashier working. Absolutely appalling. There is no doubt why Wal-Mart is considered the worst supermarket.

we would be in much better shape had Safeway not spun off Oklahoma's stores into Homeland.
    Yeah, why is that? Why is it that we always seem to get the shaft on things like that? Safeway got spun off into Homeland, Hardee's became Carl's Jr., our 7-11s aren't real 7-11s...

Thread Information