Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

" Your forgot the briefcase!. You forgot the briefcase!".

Got behind a car yesterday that was riding its brakes. Listen, if you keep hitting your brakes every 5 seconds, those of us behind you can't tell if you're really slowing down/stopping or just riding your brakes.

I'm wondering if speedometers for vehicles sold in OKC are calibrated to show they're going 10 MPH faster than they actually are.....

^^ I wondering if turn signals are optional on late model cars.

Maybe they're out of blinker fluid?

Maaaaaan, they promised me they checked the blinker fluid when they rotated my 710 cap.

7. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Got behind a car yesterday that was riding its brakes. Listen, if you keep hitting your brakes every 5 seconds, those of us behind you can't tell if you're really slowing down/stopping or just riding your brakes.
    HA! I've been behind cards accelerating with their brake lights on!

8. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

I wasn't going to bring this up but since the thread is up right now. I'm was on I40 westbound on the way to work Tuesday. I was in the second to right lane where it's four lanes. I, as most cars at that time, was doing 67ish. A car came up behind me and got right on my bumper. He started flashing his lights. I really had nowhere to move or I would have gotten out of his way. I could see this in the left lane but in the right-center?

9. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    I wasn't going to bring this up but since the thread is up right now. I'm was on I40 westbound on the way to work Tuesday. I was in the second to right lane where it's four lanes. I, as most cars at that time, was doing 67ish. A car came up behind me and got right on my bumper. He started flashing his lights. I really had nowhere to move or I would have gotten out of his way. I could see this in the left lane but in the right-center?
    Man that hacks me off when people do that. It causes my recessive-dominant a-hole gene to kick in and my foot usually slips off the accelerator to help me save a little gas by just coasting a ways.

10. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

I am starting to believe that there is a segment of the population that is so self-absorbed that they actually believe that they are the only ones on the road that have somewhere to go. Every other car on the freeway is there just to be in their way.

Yep, left lane is pretty much the only lane that anybody should be flashing their lights, that's officially the passing lane, and only if you're behind somebody going under the speed limit or not passing and just driving in stereo (same speed as the car in the next lane over). Any other lane and you want to go faster, then you should get in the left-er lanes.

12. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCDrummer77 View Post
    I am starting to believe that there is a segment of the population that is so self-absorbed that they actually believe that they are the only ones on the road that have somewhere to go. Every other car on the freeway is there just to be in their way.
    Pretty much my thoughts as well. They can't be bothered by stop signs/lights, speed limits, pedestrians... I've even witnessed people not moving over/stopping for emergency vehicles recently. I can only assume because wherever they are trying to get to is more important than some strangers life.

Every day I have to get off Hefner Parkway going South at 63rd to turn west. There are four (count them 4) signs there in various locations saying no turn on red. Almost every day I see people doing it anyway. If I'm right behind them, I usually honk my horn but I'm sure they don't care in the least.

14. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Every day I have to get off Hefner Parkway going South at 63rd to turn west. There are four (count them 4) signs there in various locations saying no turn on red. Almost every day I see people doing it anyway. If I'm right behind them, I usually honk my horn but I'm sure they don't care in the least.
    I pick up my wife every day at Homeland's corp office at 36th & Lincoln. I come from the south and get off I235 at 36th and turn right on 36th. NO TURN ON RED sign big as could be. I get honked at once or twice a week because I sit waiting for green. ??????

Some "no turn on red" signs are like the stop sign at 66th/Independence (I believe that's the one), which is completely worthless. The only way someone going north on Independence can go is to turn right on 66th, the only way someone going west on 66th can go is to turn left on Independence, neither car can actually hit each other if there's no stop sign, absolutely no reason for it to be there. The reason for most "no turn on red" is limited visibility, and I have absolutely no problem with turning on red even if there's a sign if I can see there's nobody coming (but I pay attention moreso than tons of other OKC drivers). There are intersections, however, that are more complex that have the signs, and I won't turn on red at those (like 36th/Springlake/Kelley, or any intersection that has a diagonal street intersecting 2 perpendicular streets), but at 36th/235 and 63rd/parkway, I turn right on red all the time (unless my radar detector lights up). I'd never honk at someone waiting for a light to turn green if it says "no turn on red", but if I'm first, I will turn right on red most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Some "no turn on red" signs are like the stop sign at 66th/Independence (I believe that's the one), which is completely worthless. The only way someone going north on Independence can go is to turn right on 66th, the only way someone going west on 66th can go is to turn left on Independence, neither car can actually hit each other if there's no stop sign, absolutely no reason for it to be there. The reason for most "no turn on red" is limited visibility, and I have absolutely no problem with turning on red even if there's a sign if I can see there's nobody coming (but I pay attention moreso than tons of other OKC drivers). There are intersections, however, that are more complex that have the signs, and I won't turn on red at those (like 36th/Springlake/Kelley, or any intersection that has a diagonal street intersecting 2 perpendicular streets), but at 36th/235 and 63rd/parkway, I turn right on red all the time (unless my radar detector lights up). I'd never honk at someone waiting for a light to turn green if it says "no turn on red", but if I'm first, I will turn right on red most of the time.
    I think you are mistaken about 66th and Independence. That is a residential area and there is no light or stop sign there. (I'm assuming that you mean NW 66th). When you get to 69th you can only turn right and the people going west on 69th can only turn left. I agree that the stop sign really accomplishes little except perhaps protecting someone backing out of the driveway immediately after the right turn. I'm not sure I agree, however, about the no turn on red signs. I don't think those are put up without any thought, even if they may be inconvenient in places. Also, those signs are not put up only for those who are bad drivers. If a bad driver sees you doing that why would they not think it's OK for them to do that too, even if they don't take precautions.

Sorry, this is quite off-topic, but this is the thread I saw it in, so will ask here...if it can be discussed, why is ljbab728 showing as banned? I can't recall any particularly incendiary posts from that user, and don't see any in recent posting history either. Did someone mean to ban the random person who decided to necro a bunch of threads to add irrelevant posts with insanely stupid 'jokes' and had bad aim?

18. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I used to go on ahead myself. As I said I'm at 235 and 36th most weekdays. Turning there on red cost me a couple hundred bucks I didn't have about 3 years ago. Now I wait.

I used to go on ahead myself. As I said I'm at 235 and 36th most weekdays. Turning there on red cost me a couple hundred bucks I didn't have about 3 years ago. Now I wait.
    Hence my statement about my radar detector (no, it won't sound if they don't have their radar on, but a majority cops run with their radar on all the time around here).

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I think you are mistaken about 66th and Independence. That is a residential area and there is no light or stop sign there. (I'm assuming that you mean NW 66th). When you get to 69th you can only turn right and the people going west on 69th can only turn left. I agree that the stop sign really accomplishes little except perhaps protecting someone backing out of the driveway immediately after the right turn. I'm not sure I agree, however, about the no turn on red signs. I don't think those are put up without any thought, even if they may be inconvenient in places. Also, those signs are not put up only for those who are bad drivers. If a bad driver sees you doing that why would they not think it's OK for them to do that too, even if they don't take precautions.
    Yeah, guess it is 69th, my bad - I didn't check google maps before posting.

And I also agree that "no turn on red" aren't put up without any thought, but to me they're put up to protect the drivers that don't pay attention from themselves (and others). The one on 36th is on a hill, the one on 63rd has limited visibility, and I can see perfectly fine enough if there are no cars coming and it's safe, and my car's fast enough to speed up if someone suddenly does come barrelling up behind me. I'm not responsible for how other drivers think, so if they see me do something and emulate it, that's on them, not me.

^^^ At 63rd & Hefner Parkway, I've seen the traffic cops hiding in that office parking lot just to the west, so be advised.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    ^^^ At 63rd & Hefner Parkway, I've seen the traffic cops hiding in that office parking lot just to the west, so be advised.
    Of course they are, easier for them to get the low-hanging fruit rather than hiding at an intersection that has multiple red-light runners and is *truly* dangerous. Thx for the tip, though, luckily we are very rarely on the parkway (or 235) now that we live on 36th/May.

23. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

So as I'm switching to reverse to back into my parking space in my companies parking lot this morning. Some jacka$$ cuts behind me, through my parking space as I'm backing into it.

He parked in the lot next to ours and I was headed over to confront him but he took off running.... Wish he had parked in our lot. I'd have a tow truck on the way already!

^^^ Sadly, lack of respect and consideration for others is becoming all too common. Daily on my path home from work, I witness people driving over the double yellow lines in order to make the left turn light. It doesn't matter how many people are waiting in line ahead of them ...legally I might add, ...to take their turn at the light, these people will drive completely over the double yellow into the oncoming traffic lanes well before the striped safety zones, essentially cutting the line so they can make the light. I watched a guy on a motorcycle do it the other day, and then run the yellow left turn signal as it was changing to red. Knuckleheads... all of them.

25. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

^ Yeah... I see that happen way too often too.

Thread Information