Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 17 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Default Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

This is for those of you who have spent any amount of time driving in other cities as I have only spent the majority of my driving life in central oklahoma.

Are drivers in other cities as rude as the drivers in okc? I know rude can mean a couple of things, so I will just add a couple of my own stories to get the conversation going. I've noticed, a little too frequently, that drivers can be extremely rude when merging onto a major highway. There have been quite a few times lately when I see a gap when merging, and as i match speeds to hit it, the driver in the other lane behind me notices and guns it to close the gap so I can't merge. This has happened quite a few times lately. You kinda get stuck in no-man's land when that happens and typically have to merge going slower than the pace of the traffic.

I've also noticed than when lanes end, people will not give a gap to let you merge.

Finally, when you have the people that gun it to the front of the line when you have a lane that ends, they just merge even when there is no gap between cars. They seem perfectly content on running in to you. (I know...this is a little contradictory to the previous point.)

Now, I know this happens everywhere to some degree. I just notice this stuff all the time here. What are other's experiences? How would you rate the drivers here as far as "rudeness" is concerned?

Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

I don't think OKC drivers are that rude. Now in the parking lot yes, people in their big F-350s feel the need to park so close to me on the drivers side they almost hit me and I have to get into my car on the passengers side because I cannot fit on the drivers side. That happens all the time and wish I knew of a way to stop it. Never had it happen once in Charlotte. Other than that though, I haven't had much problem on the roads here. OKC drivers do tend to go at or below the speed limit for the most part. In big cities traffic generally flows at 10-15 mph over the limit and if you are going below the speed limit under normal traffic conditions you are likely to spark road rage.

Slow slow slow. And what is it about Oklahoma that they refuse to put in left hand turn lanes? Even on major streets like May.

Slow. Don't understand how to merge on highway. Don't understand how to move out of the way for people in the fast lane. Although, it does seem traffic in OKC is beginning to speed up lately.

My biggest gripes:

I don't understand the need for people to drive so slow here. NW Expressway and Classen are the worst in regards to people going 5-10 under the speed limit. I shouldn't blow past people going 40-45 on these streets.

Merging is a serious issue for a lot of drivers here. If I had a dollar for every person who I've been stuck behind who thinks they can get on a freeway moving 60-70 MPH going 35-40 I would be a millionaire. I guess I should be lucky as I've never been behind someone who STOPPED on the on ramp, which I have seen several times.

Something I have noticed here as well is people are afraid to pass a slower driver, even if another lane is clear. They would rather ride their bumper and impede the flow of traffic behind them. Once you get onto the rural interstates this is not a problem. I don't get it.

All in all, drivers here are not bad but could stand to be a bit more aggressive and defensive, which are not always bad things.

I have the same complaints about other drivers in basically any city I've ever been in haha.

7. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

You guys do realize the "fast lane" isn't the break the speed limit lane... Right?

Biggest problems I see in OKC are the people that weave in and out of traffic because they can't schedule properly so they speed everywhere they go.

People making exits from the Interstate from the inside lane crossing 2 or 3 lanes of traffic. See this happen almost daily now.

And as has already been mentioned.... Not knowing how to merge properly.

Oh and my biggest pet peeve.... People that think a blinker being put on for a lane change means speed up and get next to the person trying to make the lane change.

Too slow driving in general (clear blue sky, flat, visibility for miles, 4-lane road, not heavy traffic - why do they go 10 MPH under???)

Too slow to notice a red light has changed (I've missed dozens of lights because #3 in line sat like an idiot, the sensors didn't detect anybody and changed to red, leaving about 10 of us behind the idiot for at least another cycle, who finally realizes the light has changed and goes, but runs the red light)

Too slow while turning (literally sometimes 2-3 MPH, and yes, there are sometimes reasons for turning really slow, but it happens ridiculously often)

Don't use signals

Can't figure out how to merge onto a highway

Can't figure out how to navigate curves on the Hefner Parkway at more than 50 MPH

Jump across many lanes of traffic all of a sudden because they need to turn left instead of right within 30 feet of the intersection

Don't understand what someone behind them on the highway flashing their headlights means

Don't understand that the left lane on a highway is for passing, they just dawdle along

When I try to get around or pass someone, a disturbing amount of the time the driver seems to think this is a personal affront and fights with me (just let someone pass you and get out of their way, absolutely no reason to do anything otherwise), happens 5-10 times every day to and 5-10 times every day from work on the Hefner Parkway and Kilpatrick Turnpike, all I do is go 7-10 MPH over the limit, start flashing my headlights in enough advance time and want to get off the road and to work or home, I don't want to race or figure out who has the biggest ****

Not as much of a problem as in other cities, but red-light-running has been increasing and the runners seem to have no care in the world they're doing it (I honk and flash my lights at them and they don't seem to even notice that what they did is horribly dangerous)

NO BRAKE LIGHTS! I can't begin to tell you how many vehicles I've seen here with absolutely no brake lights, way way more than any other place I've lived or driven. Taillights/headlights/signals out too - way more than average, I believe.

Lots of pick-em-ups that can't seem to figure out how to park between the lines (not exclusive to OKC, but the percentage of vehicles over the line that are pick-em-ups is huge, in my estimation)

Don't seem to realize that you should not go through an intersection unless you can clear it on the other side

When someone's turning left, the drivers slam over into the right lane without much looking, signaling, or anything else on their minds other than "MUST NOT STAY MORE THAN 1 MORE SECOND BEHIND A LEFT TURNER!!!!!!" Almost been hit many times because of that

Slowing down to a crawl when they're in the right lane of a 4-lane road passing someone who's turning left (probably because they've been hit by someone who pulled the last stunt I listed)

Swinging out into the left lane when turning right (basically, not knowing how their car handles/operates and what its parameters/limits are)

The lack of left (and right) turn lanes in OKC is appalling on major streets. In IL and WA, major streets were almost always 5 lanes, if not more - 2 one-way, 2 the-other-way, middle left turn, and maybe a right turn lane. Left and right turn lanes help traffic flow *so* much more smoothly. Great stretch of road that shows that is May between Britton and Hefner, but south of Britton and north of Hefner, May turns into a cluster**** because of all the retail that people turn into and out of. Left-turn lanes will never be constructed on major streets, though, because all the infrastructure is usually *right* beside the street and it's not gonna be moved just so traffic can flow more smoothly, no return on the cost.

Horribly unsynchronized traffic lights are also a problem - try driving up/down May from 36th to Memorial almost any time of day, NW 63rd light changes to green, you go north, floor it trying to get through the light at NW 65th, can't, changes to red almost immediately when NW 63rd light changes to green, very consistently. Same goes for the 50th/Target lights, and Hefner/Taco Cabana lights, etc. Other streets are as bad, I just use May as an example 'cos I drive on it more than other streets.

Last two aren't really driver problems, but thought I'd just stick 'em in there for fun...

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    My biggest gripes:

I don't understand the need for people to drive so slow here. NW Expressway and Classen are the worst in regards to people going 5-10 under the speed limit. I shouldn't blow past people going 40-45 on these streets.

Merging is a serious issue for a lot of drivers here. If I had a dollar for every person who I've been stuck behind who thinks they can get on a freeway moving 60-70 MPH going 35-40 I would be a millionaire. I guess I should be lucky as I've never been behind someone who STOPPED on the on ramp, which I have seen several times.

Something I have noticed here as well is people are afraid to pass a slower driver, even if another lane is clear. They would rather ride their bumper and impede the flow of traffic behind them. Once you get onto the rural interstates this is not a problem. I don't get it.

All in all, drivers here are not bad but could stand to be a bit more aggressive and defensive, which are not always bad things.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    You guys do realize the "fast lane" isn't the break the speed limit lane... Right?

Biggest problems I see in OKC are the people that weave in and out of traffic because they can't schedule properly so they speed everywhere they go.

People making exits from the Interstate from the inside lane crossing 2 or 3 lanes of traffic. See this happen almost daily now.

And as has already been mentioned.... Not knowing how to merge properly.

Oh and my biggest pet peeve.... People that think a blinker being put on for a lane change means speed up and get next to the person trying to make the lane change.
    It really is more known as the passing lane....

I am convinced the slow driving is kind of a cultural thing. Spend some time in Arkansas or in Texas outside of the big cities and its same thing. It's a much slower pace of life here and that is reflected in the way people drive. I also think the aggressiveness of police also may be a factor. When driving to North Carolina, I try to not go more than 5 mph over the limit through Oklahoma and Arkansas, but once I get to Tennessee I bump the cruise control up to 10 mph over the limit. In NC I go 15 mph over because not only does traffic flow at that speed but the cops generally won't pull you over until you are above 15mph over the limit.

Oh and another complaint I have is the douchebags in pick-up trucks that throw their garbage in the bed and then it flies out on the highway. That really grinds my gears. I have recorded people doing it(with my dash cam) but never reported anyone mainly because I don't want to be "that guy".

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I am convinced the slow driving is kind of a cultural thing. Spend some time in Arkansas or in Texas outside of the big cities and its same thing. It's a much slower pace of life here and that is reflected in the way people drive. I also think the aggressiveness of police also may be a factor. When driving to North Carolina, I try to not go more than 5 mph over the limit through Oklahoma and Arkansas, but once I get to Tennessee I bump the cruise control up to 10 mph over the limit. In NC I go 15 mph over because not only does traffic flow at that speed but the cops generally won't pull you over until you are above 15mph over the limit.
    Yeah, the police here are assholes. The only good ones are really Oklahoma County Sheriff. I was pulled over for doing 8 over by an Edmond cop one time on I-35 and I've had OKC police flash their lights at me for doing 10 over, but they haven't pulled me over for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Yeah, the police here are assholes. The only good ones are really Oklahoma County Sheriff. I was pulled over for doing 8 over by an Edmond cop one time on I-35 and I've had OKC police flash their lights at me for doing 10 over, but they haven't pulled me over for it.
    I'm not trying to be the goody goody poster here, because I speed between 5-10 mph everywhere too, but are you really going to complain about the cops being a-holes because they actually do their jobs??

15. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It really is more known as the passing lane....
    And it's still not the break the speed limit lane.

You personally admitted that you drive 7-10 over the limit. That's not the other drivers problem that is doing the speed limit. It is a problem you have created by breaking the law.

Quote Originally Posted by PWitty View Post
    I'm not trying to be the goody goody poster here, because I speed between 5-10 mph everywhere too, but are you really going to complain about the cops being a-holes because they actually do their jobs??
    Well, I honestly can't argue with you. The law is the law no matter what. The police could show some leniency however. In most big cities, they won't mess with you for going 5-10 over and a bunch of places I know of don't really do anything until you hit 16MPH or above. Speeding makes up for a small part of accidents. I could try and find the graphic, but the majority of accidents are related to distracted driving(texting), being under the influence of something, and disregarding traffic signals(stop signs, stop lights etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by PWitty View Post
    Well, I kind of agree with the Panda, and yes, the cops are doing their jobs, but there are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more dangerous things that happen on the road that cops ignore (I have seen them sit there as the first car while 2 cars run the left-turn red light, for example), but they'll bust you for speeding in an instant, even if you're the only one on the road and not really creating much of a safety problem. Low-hanging fruit that brings in tons of money and is usually an easy stop is what I'm thinking is happening. A friend has heard that Edmond cops (and others, probably) have a saying - "9 you're fine, 10 you're mine", which is why I usually don't go above 10 over (yes, I have a radar detector, but going much more than 10 over here *is* dangerous due to all the other weirdness).

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    And it's still not the break the speed limit lane.

You personally admitted that you drive 7-10 over the limit. That's not the other drivers problem that is doing the speed limit. It is a problem you have created by breaking the law.
    I don't have an issue with people that drive the speed limit in the passing lane. My issue is with people that purposely match the persons speed next to them to be a dick and block traffic. A ton of people do it. I have even witness troopers pulling slow drivers over on occasion. I have a truck that swerved over 2 lanes to block me when I was doing about 10 over with a trooper behind me and a guy in a lifted Chevy truck got right in front of me and matched to persons speed next to him(which was about 65mph) and the trooper turned his lights on(I got nervous and thought he was pulling me over) and I moved, he went right pass me and pulled the guy in the truck over. I can only assume he was busted for obstructing traffic unless his vehicle matched a description put out by a police abd.

When coming to the base of the on-ramp and about to merge, the driver on the ramp behind me will rush over the double white lines and try to cut me off from behind. It's like they're so anxious to merge that they can't control themselves and wait 5 more seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Well, I kind of agree with the Panda, and yes, the cops are doing their jobs, but there are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more dangerous things that happen on the road that cops ignore (I have seen them sit there as the first car while 2 cars run the left-turn red light, for example), but they'll bust you for speeding in an instant, even if you're the only one on the road and not really creating much of a safety problem. Low-hanging fruit that brings in tons of money and is usually an easy stop is what I'm thinking is happening. A friend has heard that Edmond cops (and others, probably) have a saying - "9 you're fine, 10 you're mine", which is why I usually don't go above 10 over (yes, I have a radar detector, but going much more than 10 over here *is* dangerous due to all the other weirdness).
    Yeah, I see people all the time weaving in and out of traffic driving like a maniac, not even speeding, just driving recklessly; that is way more dangerous than doing 5-10 over. I never weave through traffic and am actually very patient with people driving slow in the fast lane. The majority of my driving ends up being behind some slowpoke because two or three people will sit there and drive like 5-10 UNDER! It gets really annoying, but I think as OKC grows and becomes bigger(along with fixing our screwed up highways and interchanges) people will gradually drive faster; we are also seeing an aging baby boomer population and my grandmother is one of them and drives 10-15 under and thinks people drive aggressive here because people start getting on her tail. That is one thing I can understand, but if you are unable to keep up to speed, maybe it's best you stay off the highway lol

Quote Originally Posted by thebigtamale View Post
    When coming to the base of the on-ramp and about to merge, the driver on the ramp behind me will rush over the double white lines and try to cut me off from behind. It's like they're so anxious to merge that they can't control themselves and wait 5 more seconds.
    Man, I have problems with people driving too slow when merging

I will actually do this sometimes, but I go over the white lines and into the middle or left lane, going faster than the person I was behind, who was going way under the speed limit, so I don't cut anybody off, I just get ahead of the slow person (not saying *you're* slow, just that I do it when someone ahead of me gets on the highway at 45 and the rest of the highway is going 65, for example). Oh, and as far as I know, my driving has not caused an accident that I was not involved in, nor have I been in an accident because of my driving habits, not in over 30 years of driving, just to head anybody off that thinks I'm a maniac leaving wreckage in my wake...

Oh man! This x10000000!!!! This happens on a nearly daily basis. I once had a guy tailgate me for 5 miles because he jumped the lines, and I merged in front of him still. I may have been slightly irritated that he jumped the lines and forced myself in, but you know...

I've lived in several cities across the USA and overseas. And no matter where you live the people there complain about the local drivers. It's universal and what separates us from the chimps.

My least favorite drivers are Philadelphians. Holy cow they honk and flip you off for stopping at an amber light. But hey what can you expect from a lot who boo Santa clause. City of brotherly love my arse.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    I've lived in several cities across the USA and overseas. And no matter where you live the people there complain about the local drivers. It's universal and what separates us from the chimps.

My least favorite drivers are Philadelphians. Holy cow they honk and flip you off for stopping at an amber light. But hey what can you expect from a lot who boo Santa clause. City of brotherly love my arse.
    Whenever they do that... this is what you do

Be Terry Crews in the Corvette. I have that song on my phone and an extremely loud stereo system and I blasted it after he pulled up next to me to cuss me out because I let an older lady out of Sprouts parking lot onto 2nd street and caused him to have to wait through another red light.

Thread Information