Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Man, hate to do this, but saw 4 more things on my 30 minute drive home that I see in OKC that I haven't seen anywhere else very much, if at all...

"They got brakes" - people pulling out onto a main street almost literally right in front of other cars, then going slow. Saw this 3 times happening to someone else, and once to me, just on the way home. Could be a by-product of Okie drivers expecting all other Okie drivers to be going slow...

Can't figure out 4-way stops - if you get there first, do *not* wait for the person coming up to it that's 2 blocks away, then decide to wave them on. Just go if you're the first, and if you're not the first, right-of-way is called that for a reason. Can't count how many times I've sat there waiting for the dumb*** waving me on to go, because they either got there first or they were on my right, not going to continue the stupidity...

In the left lane and wanting to turn right (or vice versa) 20-30 feet (or whatever distance) ahead and just sitting there with your turn signal on (most of the time) holding up all traffic behind you and just generally screwing things up in both lanes.

Can't figure out friction and gravity - if you're holding your accelerator pedal steady, you will slow down going up a hill and speed up going down a hill, most of the time. Watch your speedometer, don't go between 30 and 50 when the speed limit is 40, just stay consistent, really not that hard.

Hopefully no more....

One of my pet peeves is taking up a 1/4 mile to slow down to a stop light.

Besides just chewing through your brakes, it's just ridiculous. If I see I won't make it through a light and I am a good distance away, I'll coast and then apply brakes as I am several hundred feet away from stopping. Instead of a slow constant braking for a 1/4 mile. Plus if I am coasting, I will slowly lose speed and maybe as I get closer the light will change and I don't have the wear on my brakes or a lot of speed to pick back up. (Good on gas)

Edit: Distracted Poster: eating nachos and typing.

Two things I've also noticed:
    1.) Rubbernecking. Several times I've noticed traffic on the highway slow in all lanes and I've wondered what the deal was. Then a mile of so later I'll see someone in the opposite flow of the highway across the median changing a flat, or a two car fender bender. Then the traffic disappears and everyone speeds up.
    2.) When two cars at each other's eleven o'clocks, opposite directions, are both turning left on unprotected lights.....YOU CAN BOTH GO AT THE SAME TIME!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Oh and another complaint I have is the douchebags in pick-up trucks that throw their garbage in the bed and then it flies out on the highway. That really grinds my gears. I have recorded people doing it(with my dash cam) but never reported anyone mainly because I don't want to be "that guy".
    Wow man up son. I do it all the time. Especially drunk drivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWitty View Post
    I'm not trying to be the goody goody poster here, because I speed between 5-10 mph everywhere too, but are you really going to complain about the cops being a-holes because they actually do their jobs??
    The Nazis were just doing their job too. Yes people are responsible for what happens when they "do their jobs." Or at least they should be, but are rarely held accountable (e.g. Tinseltown killing).

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    A friend has heard that Edmond cops (and others, probably) have a saying - "9 you're fine, 10 you're mine"
    I just figured that was the rule everywhere. That's the same way it is up in Kansas and KC. In fact back when I was in HS our school security guard (an off-duty state trooper) told us that exact same phrase. That's why I always keep my speeding to no more than 10 over. Especially now that the interstates in KS raised their speed limit to 75. If you hit 85 on the radar gun there's no hesitation these days, it's pretty much automatic.

Everyone speeds ~15-20 mph over the speed limit up here in NY/PA. But that's because all the interstates and highways have 65 mph speed limits, and sometimes 55 mph. So I guess the state troopers and highway patrolmen are just more lenient because of it.

6. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

I think the drivers here are fine. Sure they might be a bit slow, but I don't mind it. I just go around them if I can, or just be patient and be grateful I don't have to drive in a big city somewhere. My last home area, Orlando, FL, the drivers were either inept (British tourists especially, but tourists in general) or VERY impatient and aggressive (mostly NYC transplants). I once sat with a dropped jaw as I was honked at and passed, PASSED (!) at a stop sign in a residential neighborhood! I could not believe it. I don't miss being constantly passed on residential streets like I was there. And I am not a slow driver, generally a 5 MPH over guy.

Most people have already covered it.

Merging.

Seriously, I took driver's education in OK and not once was any mention of interstate/highway merging. Probably the most dangerous part of OK driving, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Most people have already covered it.

Merging.

Seriously, I took driver's education in OK and not once was any mention of interstate/highway merging. Probably the most dangerous part of OK driving, IMO.
    Yep, this thread nailed it. Merging is my number one peeve here. The slow driving is bad, but it is a nice break for me coming from the unbelievably aggressive driving of NJ.

The other thing that drives me up a wall here is the lack of turn signals. Worse than anywhere else I've ever driven. I was beginning to think they were optional in the state of Oklahoma for a while....

What's funny is, a few months back I made a comment about the people OKC having problems merging and I was told I was just looking for something else to bash the people of Oklahoma about and said poster had never encountered any problems merging. Oh irony, how you make ignorance so much funnier.

It may have been mentioned before, but why does everyone slow way down for the slightest curve on an interstate or freeway? Do all the drivers forget that the highway continues on the other side of the curve, even though they can't see it? Are they Flat Earth people who think they're going to drive into the abyss?

11. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Yep, this thread nailed it. Merging is my number one peeve here. The slow driving is bad, but it is a nice break for me coming from the unbelievably aggressive driving of NJ.

The other thing that drives me up a wall here is the lack of turn signals. Worse than anywhere else I've ever driven. I was beginning to think they were optional in the state of Oklahoma for a while....
    I felt the same way moving here from back North. Granted nothing gets your nerves going then driving down LSD heading for the interstate in downtown Chicago - during the last bit of rush hour - with 4 intoxicated people yapping away. LOL

Merging is probably the biggest issue here. Those in Norman are definitely familiar with the annoyance of Hwy 9 to I-35 NB. The very end really has no merging room at all anymore with the construction, but you have a good quarter mile to match speeds of those on 35 to integrate in perfectly. Which of course doesn't happen. People take their time getting up to speed and then you have everyone slamming on their brakes right at the end. Granted you have people from Lindsey entering on that don't bother looking and get in front of you (who is doing 50-60 mph already) while only doing 30-40 mph. I can understand some people just don't have the mental capacity or concentration to visualize spacing and trends in where everyone is going, but you should still be able to fit yourself in without causing problems. My opinion, if merging in and you cause the person behind you to brake - you did it wrong.

I would also point out yield signs are there for a reason. If you are going to impact the flow of traffic by ignoring it, you are in the wrong.

The only other major issue I have are those that feel the need to do 10 over all the time and zip in an out. Depending on how many cops I see out, I probably average around 5 over in most cases unless the flow of traffic is set higher than that - in most cases it isn't here. I also find it entertaining that some idiot flew passed me usually ends up right in front of me at the traffic light at the exit ramp I'm taking.

Okay...one other thing. Speeding in construction. Especially when workers are out, I can not stand people that have such ill regard for those working that they'll keep going well over the posted limit in construction zones. They are only maybe a mile or so long, doing 55 for a couple minutes instead going to hurt. Personally I think the fines for speeding through construction should be way more than doubled. Just start at a minimum of $1500 and go up from there. People will learn quickly.

On the way to work earlier this week I seen an idiot coming up behind me tailgating another car. We were on I-35 N just north of 19th steet in Moore, traffic was stop and go and really no way the guy in front could have gotten over. The idiot behind was weaving back and forth and literally 1'-0 behind the other guy. Idiot passed me, he was driving a old piece of junk cavelier or something similar and on the back glass had had placed stickers that read "Oklahoma State Law 11309 - <------Left lane for passing only. Slower Traffic keep right ------>". I wish I could have expressed to the idiot how stupid and imature he looked. He continued to tailgate and eventually passed the guy on the right hand side but continued weaving in and out of traffic tailgating everybody he got behind. I wish idiot had gotten behind me, I'd have let him tasted my bumper.
    Back to the topic I think in general OKC drivers are pretty mild compared to other cities such as Dallas/Ft. Worth. Folks down there do not know how to drive! It's like a 24/7 Nascar race, get out of the way or get ran over.

13. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    I think it's a result of what I said earlier. If you signal to make a lane change some jacka$$ in that lane will speed up so you can't get over. So people don't use them at all and make the stealth lane change.

14. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

From my trip log, my first drive in the City of New York -- some of it, anyway:

I'm sure there's a reason why it's the Bronx, although I admit to spending more time looking at the exit for the Throgs Neck Bridge and wondering just who the hell was Throg. Actually, I got to spend a lot of time looking at signs, what with the usual traffic congestion exacerbated by construction here and there. And I executed a fair number of what I would normally consider to be startling moves in traffic, operating under the assumption that New Yorkers wouldn't care what kind of crap I pulled so long as I didn't inconvenience them in so doing. From the absence of horns sounded in anger rather than sorrow (and with WQXR on the radio, I'd have heard them had they been sounded), I must conclude I was right.
    This was twelve years ago, but I stand by my conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by windowphobe View Post
    From my trip log, my first drive in the City of New York -- some of it, anyway:

This was twelve years ago, but I stand by my conclusions.
    I drove around NYC (Manhattan) for the first time a couple months ago. I have to say, it wasn't near as hard to drive around as I would've thought. It was basically just me and the taxis, along with an occasional Escalade or Benz. But OMG, the taxis. I kid you not, I got horned trying to turn right at just about every intersection because I had to wait for all the pedestrians when the light would turn green. Now I truly understand what people are talking about when they talk about NYC taxis. I had a taxi PASS ME (go around and cut in front of me to turn right) while I was waiting to turn, and he just slammed right through a tiny gap in the pedestrians walking through the crosswalk. I don't know how he didn't hit anybody. Those guys alone would be enough to make me never step foot in a car while I was in the city.

The car taking pictures here wasn't totally innocent but LOL.

Interesting news follow-up interview with the lady that filmed the video above. She said the speed limit was 55 and she had slowed down to 50 as it was coming down. I assume the speed limit slows at some point, but she never said to what and when it slowed down. She admitted to going 5 under and riding the left lane. I too would be a little PO'ed if I was following her. I guess technically, that is like an every day drive in Oklahoma

Anyway, she's proud that she caught this guy doing that and got her moment in the sun, but she is part of the problem too as she clearly antagonized this guy.

It is interesting because the speed limit in our neighborhood is 25 and I swear, there are a couple of people out here that will drive 15 just to prove a point that you need to drive slow in a neighborhood. My truck won't even idle that slow. It drives me absolutely insane!!

The Full Story Behind That 'Instant Karma' Viral Video - Video

About half the people driving anywhere (not just OKC) shouldn't be allowed to drive....but it is what it is.

Traffic in OKC is pretty good IMO. People drive a safe 10 mph over, generally know where they're going, and are polite enough and get along.

I think Cleveland and St Louis are the fastest driving cities I've been in, 20 mph over is standard.. Many cities move ridiculously slow IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Interesting news follow-up interview with the lady that filmed the video above. She said the speed limit was 55 and she had slowed down to 50 as it was coming down. I assume the speed limit slows at some point, but she never said to what and when it slowed down. She admitted to going 5 under and riding the left lane. I too would be a little PO'ed if I was following her. I guess technically, that is like an every day drive in Oklahoma

Anyway, she's proud that she caught this guy doing that and got her moment in the sun, but she is part of the problem too as she clearly antagonized this guy.

It is interesting because the speed limit in our neighborhood is 25 and I swear, there are a couple of people out here that will drive 15 just to prove a point that you need to drive slow in a neighborhood. My truck won't even idle that slow. It drives me absolutely insane!!

The Full Story Behind That 'Instant Karma' Viral Video - Video
    I fully understand your point, and I've certainly been the angry follower at times, but at no time should you take your 4,000 lb weapon and use it to intimidate someone. Odd and sad that we can consider road rage to be justifiable.
    ETA: I wonder how capable she was filming AND driving.

Drivers here aren't too bad, except for a bunch of a-holes who always honk at me when I'm merging onto the interstate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    I fully understand your point, and I've certainly been the angry follower at times, but at no time should you take your 4,000 lb weapon and use it to intimidate someone. Odd and sad that we can consider road rage to be justifiable.
    ETA: I wonder how capable she was filming AND driving.
    that's a nice spin

The left lane may be the passing lane or fast lane, but it's not the "break the law" lane. It's not your own personal lane to drive 90mph

Quote Originally Posted by thebigtamale View Post
    The left lane may be the passing lane or fast lane, but it's not the "break the law" lane. It's not your own personal lane to drive 90mph
    So are you saying the other lanes are for going 5-10 UNDER? I'm confused as to what you mean per "the law"

25. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    So are you saying the other lanes are for going 5-10 UNDER? I'm confused as to what you mean per "the law"
    Interstates have a minimum and maximum allowed speed limit..... Most generally 45 MPH is the minimum by law.

Thread Information