Widgets Magazine
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 121314151617

Thread: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

1. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

I had an epiphany on my way to work this morning...

Normally I avoid I-35 like the plague if I can't get on it before 7 AM and take Shields downtown. This morning as I was approaching I-35 I noticed traffic was moving very smoothly. So I made the snap decision to hop on and enjoy this anomaly.

Got about half way to downtown. Everyone was driving friendly, doing at, or near, the speed limit, no swerving between lanes, no brake checking.... Then it dawned on me what today is!

Even when I got off the interstate I only saw one car run a red light this morning... Most mornings I see multiple cars run every signalized intersection.... I'm guessing this must have been one of those "essential" government employees that didn't get today off.

Take the government employees off the highways and they become safe and enjoyable to drive on.... Everything runs smoothly... Imagine that!!!

2. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I had an epiphany on my way to work this morning...

Normally I avoid I-35 like the plague if I can't get on it before 7 AM and take Shields downtown. This morning as I was approaching I-35 I noticed traffic was moving very smoothly. So I made the snap decision to hop on and enjoy this anomaly.

Got about half way to downtown. Everyone was driving friendly, doing at, or near, the speed limit, no swerving between lanes, no brake checking.... Then it dawned on me what today is!

Even when I got off the interstate I only saw one car run a red light this morning... Most mornings I see multiple cars run every signalized intersection.... I'm guessing this must have been one of those "essential" government employees that didn't get today off.

Take the government employees off the highways and they become safe and enjoyable to drive on.... Everything runs smoothly... Imagine that!!!
    Nope it's all the bankers not going into work. Gotta dodge those BMWs and Audis that never seem to have blinkers working...

3. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Wow this morning was definitely interesting for traffic in OKC.... Saw a school bus speeding through a school zone and an OKC police car, a black one none the less, driving without any lights on.... SMH

Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Wow this morning was definitely interesting for traffic in OKC.... Saw a school bus speeding through a school zone and an OKC police car, a black one none the less, driving without any lights on.... SMH
    I'm not that surprised, really. What I am surprised about is that anyone would consider adding parallel parking to Reno.

Has anyone SEEN people try to parallel park properly here?

Glad to see OCPD working the construction zone around NW 178th & Western. Have seen marked and unmarked ,as well as motor jocks working the area. I know this is a problem all over, but this area seems to have some of the most prolific speeders, stop sign and red light runners in town. A couple days ago, as I pulled out of my neighborhood, I had the pleasure of watching a lady in front of me in a white Ford Explorer, who had just blatantly blew through a stop sign, and sped through the construction zone get pulled over by an unmarked OCPD unit that was on the other end of the construction zone. This morning there were 2 motor jocks working it. Each had someone pulled over. I’ve worked construction zones before, and the idiocy of many motorists is mind boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by jompster View Post
    I'm not that surprised, really. What I am surprised about is that anyone would consider adding parallel parking to Reno.

Has anyone SEEN people try to parallel park properly here?
    I got princess parking right in front of 420 w. Main last week. I’m cozied up next to the car in the space in front, with my blinker on and the car in reverse as some ***hat tried to pull in forward after making a left on walker. I just kept on backing in while they honked in protest as if somehow by dipping a crooked toe in the space that they had claim to it...crazy. I got the spot of course and it only takes one shot if done properly from reverse. I get heat on 23rd all the time for this as if pulling in forward, blocking half the lane then proceeding to do a 10 point correction is the right way vs stopping for a few seconds and backing in.

I only forward parallel park if there are 2 spaces open where I can literally get it right without even having to change gears. It'll be interesting to watch people's parallel parking when the streetcar starts rolling down the streets.

Couldn't really find a more appropriate thread, so it goes here. What I've been wondering about (what effect do all the new safety gadgets have on driving?) is apparently true - people start to depend on them rather than using their own senses. When I get a new car, I plan on turning most of them off (if possible and it's prudent to do so - I have no idea which ones my new car will have yet).

Your driver-assist system may be out of alignment… with your understanding of how it works

I've been listening to a podcast recently that has been really critical about self driving technology and how Telsa has basically been beta testing self driving technology on public roads. The design of the system allows drivers to use these features without holding them accountable for paying attention to the roadway. Then when the car get in an accident, it's the drivers fault for not paying attention, rather than Tesla fault for releasing features that are not road worthy yet. Something like 75 Tesla's have hit emergency responders while self-driving over a period of two or three years. I am not a Telsa hater and I think they have done great stuff including pushing every legacy manufacturer to add electric cars to their line up, but they have a tendency to overpromise and underdeliver. When we're talking about cars supposedly driving themselves on public roadways, that scares the heck out of me.

I have always been acutely aware of the fact that my life is at risk every time I am behind the wheel. My father had a 76 'Vette land on top of him before I was born and is permanently scarred and disabled from the accident. Also, My step-mother died in a car crash when I was 11. I just bought a car I've lusted after for a good while, but its small, low and with no air bags. I've considered getting Ricaro's and a 4 point harness because 1) Racecar! and 2) If my passenger died in my car, I'd never forgive myself. I've found it fascinating that in the world of motorsports can have cars fall off a cliff (See Evo corner) or sustain 50+ G impacts, and the driver can just walk away. The safety equipment is available, but generally as consumers we value comfort over safety.

Sorry for the rant, but along those lines, someone mentioned having some sort of indicator to inform other drivers that autonomous features are actively being utilized. I think that should be the case for all driver assist features. I would like to know if the car in front of me keeps needing the lane assist, or the car behind me would've rear ended me if the sensors didn't see me. I think more people would pay closer attention if they knew drivers around them could see they were driving like a jackwagon. I'm sure people like Shawnw would like to know the oncoming car is driving itself before crossing an intersection. Finally, I agree with your plan to turn all driver assist features off. The thought that my steering wheel could be overridden by software makes me uneasy at 80 mph on Oklahoma roads where we use bottom of the barrel marking.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Jamison View Post
    I've been listening to a podcast recently that has been really critical about self driving technology and how Telsa has basically been beta testing self driving technology on public roads. The design of the system allows drivers to use these features without holding them accountable for paying attention to the roadway. Then when the car get in an accident, it's the drivers fault for not paying attention, rather than Tesla fault for releasing features that are not road worthy yet. Something like 75 Tesla's have hit emergency responders while self-driving over a period of two or three years. I am not a Telsa hater and I think they have done great stuff including pushing every legacy manufacturer to add electric cars to their line up, but they have a tendency to overpromise and underdeliver. When we're talking about cars supposedly driving themselves on public roadways, that scares the heck out of me.

I have always been acutely aware of the fact that my life is at risk every time I am behind the wheel. My father had a 76 'Vette land on top of him before I was born and is permanently scarred and disabled from the accident. Also, My step-mother died in a car crash when I was 11. I just bought a car I've lusted after for a good while, but its small, low and with no air bags. I've considered getting Ricaro's and a 4 point harness because 1) Racecar! and 2) If my passenger died in my car, I'd never forgive myself. I've found it fascinating that in the world of motorsports can have cars fall off a cliff (See Evo corner) or sustain 50+ G impacts, and the driver can just walk away. The safety equipment is available, but generally as consumers we value comfort over safety.

Sorry for the rant, but along those lines, someone mentioned having some sort of indicator to inform other drivers that autonomous features are actively being utilized. I think that should be the case for all driver assist features. I would like to know if the car in front of me keeps needing the lane assist, or the car behind me would've rear ended me if the sensors didn't see me. I think more people would pay closer attention if they knew drivers around them could see they were driving like a jackwagon. I'm sure people like Shawnw would like to know the oncoming car is driving itself before crossing an intersection. Finally, I agree with your plan to turn all driver assist features off. The thought that my steering wheel could be overridden by software makes me uneasy at 80 mph on Oklahoma roads where we use bottom of the barrel marking.
    Pretty much agree with all of the above. Especially the last sentence (although I'm not sure that standard driver assist features could grab your steering wheel, thought only Teslas or other autopilots (if there are any) could do that, but I admit I'm not up to speed on the world of driver assistance, need to read up on it). The last sentence is absolutely what will make self-driving or autonomous vehicles completely impractical in OK. The lines on city streets just do not exist or are in any way up to the standard that sensors need to have them to be usable, and on the highways/parkways/tollways, they're not much better.

My fairly new Honda Accord does lane management. It doesn't fully grab your steering wheel but it will keep you inside the lines if it can detect them (doesn't work perfectly 100% of the time) if you have it toggled on and it will give you a bump if it senses a lane departure. Don't imagine people going down the road not paying any attention, it also forces you to maintain steering wheel contact or it will warn you and then turn the automatic features off. It's impressive technology, but is still clearly a work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    My fairly new Honda Accord does lane management. It doesn't fully grab your steering wheel but it will keep you inside the lines if it can detect them (doesn't work perfectly 100% of the time) if you have it toggled on and it will give you a bump if it senses a lane departure. Don't imagine people going down the road not paying any attention, it also forces you to maintain steering wheel contact or it will warn you and then turn the automatic features off. It's impressive technology, but is still clearly a work in progress.
    I may have exaggerated a little. My point was the thought of some sort of secondary system that could physically change the directions my wheels are pointed makes me uneasy. Chevy's Lane Keep Assist can make slight adjustments to the steering wheel to guide you back into your lane. For the most part, I take comfort in the fact that I know how the mechanical systems function and know the ways they can fail. When it comes to these features, they feel more like a black box to me. However, I have never driven a vehicle with these features so I may just be paranoid.

I don't necessarily imagine people not paying any attention, just a sort of moral hazard. We shouldn't text and drive, but these features protect you from consequences. But the day someone turns the features off, forget they are off, and responds to a text could be a fatal one because they expect a warning.

I think the technology has a place on the roads and will continue to improve. I'm not opposed to it's use or think it should be outlawed. I just feel like there were a clearer framework because Telsa's recent behavior makes it feel like the wild west.

Thread Information