Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

1. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I don't think the video is saying to let the bully speed by. I don't think it's saying that at all. What I see it saying is to be courteous. Pass and then get back into the right lane to leave the passing lane open for others. Some people take it as a personal offense that someone wants to pass them or that someone is driving faster than them. I'm not a particularly fast driver most of the time. I try to conserve my gas. I drive in the right lane unless I'm passing. If someone passes me, it doesn't bother me. If the speed limit is 70 and they're doing 75 or 80, it's not my job to drive 69 in the passing lane to make sure that no one goes over the speed limit.

I'm currently trying to teach my son that the left hand lane is for passing only and not to camp out in the left lane.
    My bad for not watching the whole thing. That exact video was on a Miata board a few weeks ago. It's been shortened since then. It had a segment on the end where the guy goes into how he's surprised his old driving habits didn't create road rage and suggesting others make sure to not aggravate faster drivers.

Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

How much could cities and states save by doing away with yield signs? No one ever sees them, reads them, nor abides by them anyway. Nearly got t-boned by a woman on her phone who just blew through one the other day.

How much could cities and states save by doing away with yield signs? No one ever sees them, reads them, nor abides by them anyway. Nearly got t-boned by a woman on her phone who just blew through one the other day.
    Seriously... the yield sign protecting the exit from northbound LHP onto 150th might was well not exist.

I had an old hag road raging on me the other day because I didnt cause a wreck by swerving into traffic to allow her into the lane I was in (she was coming onto the freeway on an on-ramp). She had ample time to either speed up and get in front of me or slow down a hair and ease in beside me.... but no... she expected me to just crash my car into the vehicle to the left of me so that she could "merge".

5. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Yesterday morning, 5:45ish AM, eastbound on I44 near Western. We're in the middle lane of three lanes. There's a few cars in the right lane, less in the middle and absolutely no one in the left as far as I could see either direction. This idiot in a big silver SUV came up on our back bumper. All I could see was headlights. Which he flashed at my while honking. If he wanted around the left lane was completely empty. Besides, I was going 65 to 70 in a 60. I have no idea what his problem was. Then just now I'm westbound on I 40 having just gotten on from northbound I44. I'm in the middle lane going about 65 and about Meridian I come up on a semi going 60ish. I move to the right lane to go around and I'm getting off at MacArthur anyway. A car gets behind me and swerves back and forth between the semi and the shoulder. As I pull onto the exit the car gets beside me and the guy flipping me off and screaming something. What's with people.

I've notice people behave differently based on what car I'm driving. If I'm driving the minivan, no matter how fast I'm going people will swerve, speed, and do everything they can to pass me. They get super aggressive. If I'm on my harley, in a sports car, or driving the jeep, not so much. It's like people get upset or offended getting passed by certain types of vehicles.

7. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

You might have something there. Both days I was driving our Suzuki SX4. I don't think I see as many crazies when I'm on the Harley or in the Jeep or the Miata.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I've notice people behave differently based on what car I'm driving. If I'm driving the minivan, no matter how fast I'm going people will swerve, speed, and do everything they can to pass me. They get super aggressive. If I'm on my harley, in a sports car, or driving the jeep, not so much. It's like people get upset or offended getting passed by certain types of vehicles.
    I have a tricked out van with a supercharged v8 and agree with all of this. I see ridiculous, desperate, behavior to swerve and pass the van going 5-10mph over at just about all times. The worst is having my cruise control set and passing a car on the left, the car on the right thinks "what the...is that a VAN about to pass ME? I'm driving a 2.5liter Sonata damnit!" Said car then floors the gas to do some kind of Days of Thunder move through the car in front and me to get ahead and fly through the gap.

The desperate moves to get in front of my vehicle are especially bad on exit/entry lanes to the freeway. I'm starting to wonder if it's how I will die.

But when I drive the my daily driver, the project car, the ragtop, or any of my scoots I never see it. I think it's because people can't see around the front of the vehicle. But still. Why the need to do 70-100mph to be in front of a vehicle that's already exceeding the speed limit?

My son passed his driver's test today. First time. God help us all, he's on the road now.

10. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Congratulations.... Hope he doesn't take up the new fad I've been experiencing from OKC drivers recently.... Changing lanes in intersections.

I had an unpleasant experience this weekend as a pedestrian.

I was crossing Hudson near Elemental Coffee on Sunday afternoon when a car came zooming up very fast from the south; likely going 40-50 MPH in a 25-30 MPH zone.

Just as I reached my car on the other side of the street, this young lady blew her horn at me.

I was already pissed she was blazing down that street in the first place and I happened to pull up next to her at a light a couple of streets down. I said, "Hey, you were driving *way* over the speed limit in an area with lots of pedestrians and you blow your horn at me?? That's not cool." She lied and never said she didn't do it, then turned into the OCU Law parking lot.

What an idiot. And since I had been taking pictures as she approached me, I went back and confirmed it was indeed her car.

There is a weird and growing tension between OKC drivers and pedestrians and cyclists. I suspect because most our roads are built to move people very fast and that drivers are not used to anything other than cars; and don't like if they have to slow down for a fraction of a second.

12. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There is a weird and growing tension between OKC drivers and pedestrians and cyclists. I suspect because most our roads are built to move people very fast and that drivers are not used to anything other than cars; and don't like if they have to slow down for a fraction of a second.
    Amazingly I have had several motorists stop and wave me across a street while walking around the Film Row area..... Now crossing Broadway in Automobile Alley, even with the new signs up, still scares the bejeezus out of me.

I had an unpleasant experience this weekend as a pedestrian.

I was crossing Hudson near Elemental Coffee on Sunday afternoon when a car came zooming up very fast from the south; likely going 40-50 MPH in a 25-30 MPH zone.

Just as I reached my car on the other side of the street, this young lady blew her horn at me.

I was already pissed she was blazing down that street in the first place and I happened to pull up next to her at a light a couple of streets down. I said, "Hey, you were driving *way* over the speed limit in an area with lots of pedestrians and you blow your horn at me?? That's not cool." She lied and never said she didn't do it, then turned into the OCU Law parking lot.

What an idiot. And since I had been taking pictures as she approached me, I went back and confirmed it was indeed her car.

Hudson and Walker from 23rd to 10th = crazy bats out of hell who don't give a rat's behind about it being (mostly) residential and very ped/cyclist oriented. It just boils me how rampant it is. In the mornings, especially, when oh-so-selfish people who are running a bit late to work heading toward downtown on one of these streets don't even bother to stop at a stop sign.

The thing is, in addition to the activity where Pete was, there is a TON of pedestrian traffic each morning near Wilson School. I was pleasantly surprised how many parents walk their children to school down there. It's kind of old-timey and really cool seeing that. But again, with the way people drive, I'm afraid there will eventually be an accident. Hope I'm wrong.

Having said that, I've been pleasantly surprised as a cyclist with how *most* people are very courteous to me when I'm out riding. Many people who have the right of way will go out of their way to stop and wave me through so I won't have to break my momentum. I try to always smile and wave a "thank you" to them for their courtesy. Sadly, it's the few bad apples out there that wreck it for many of us.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Congratulations.... Hope he doesn't take up the new fad I've been experiencing from OKC drivers recently.... Changing lanes in intersections.
    In all truth, he's a very considerate and cautious driver. If anything, too cautious which brings in it's own problems. But being a motorcyclist, I've hammered into him an awareness of others, so I think he'll be ok. But he is blond and not so much on the common sense, so I still worry.

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    Hudson and Walker from 23rd to 10th = crazy bats out of hell who don't give a rat's behind about it being (mostly) residential and very ped/cyclist oriented. It just boils me how rampant it is. In the mornings, especially, when oh-so-selfish people who are running a bit late to work heading toward downtown on one of these streets don't even bother to stop at a stop sign.
    This is what's hurting downtown Edmond's growth IMO. Broadway from 15th to 2nd is 6 lanes, no easy crossing, and a speed limit that's way too high. There are more and more offices going in on the east side of the road, with restaurants on the west. There's no way for pedestrians to safely cross. They need to narrow the road and add some crosswalks. People think they should be able to do 55 from 2nd to Memorial.

My son passed his driver's test today. First time. God help us all, he's on the road now.
    Congratulations to your son. That's a big step for the young ones.

BTW, I know there is a Better Classen project underway and man is it needed...

On Sunday I crossed Classen at 6th; from the west side to the east side where Sunnyside and Revolucion are located.

Holy Cow... Six traffic lanes plus one turn lane... You can barely get across it during a signal change.

What a huge barrier between all the residential areas to the west of Classen and the commercial / downtown core.

18. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

BTW, I know there is a Better Classen project underway and man is it needed...

On Sunday I crossed Classen at 6th; from the west side to the east side where Sunnyside and Revolucion are located.

Holy Cow... Six traffic lanes plus one turn lane... You can barely get across it during a signal change.

What a huge barrier between all the residential areas to the west of Classen and the commercial / downtown core.
    Yeah... I agree on Classen being tough to cross.... I usually make the walk from my mechanic, when I drop my vehicles off for maintenance, back to my office and crossing Classen is always an adventure.... It's almost like playing live action Frogger!

There are also places along Classen where there is no sidewalk.... You are walking through mud if it's been raining or balancing on the curb as drivers go flying past you.

This is what's hurting downtown Edmond's growth IMO. Broadway from 15th to 2nd is 6 lanes, no easy crossing, and a speed limit that's way too high. There are more and more offices going in on the east side of the road, with restaurants on the west. There's no way for pedestrians to safely cross. They need to narrow the road and add some crosswalks. People think they should be able to do 55 from 2nd to Memorial.
    In Edmond, on Broadway between 15th & 2nd the speed limit is 35, except for a small section of 30mph just south of 2nd. which to me is reasonable for that stretch of road. But like you said, some folks think they have to blast through there. I set my cruise on 35 when driving that stretch and almost always get passed by other motorists.

I crossed Classen. Once.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    In Edmond, on Broadway between 15th & 2nd the speed limit is 35, except for a small section of 30mph just south of 2nd. which to me is reasonable for that stretch of road. But like you said, some folks think they have to blast through there. I set my cruise on 35 when driving that stretch and almost always get passed by other motorists.
    Yup. Improper road design from a time period where they thought bigger is better. The lanes are too large, and too many lanes, with too little stop points, which gives the impression of a higher speed limit. It's the same problem 23rd has. Luckily city planners in Oklahoma are starting to figure this stuff out.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I've noticed that too. Along with the current red light running fad, that should make for an interesting combination.

This is a bad problem at N. Western and the Kilpatrick. When westbound on the service road, trying to turn right on red on to Western, the north bound traffic coming from under the bridge and wanting to turn right into OnCue or onto Memorial can make for some harrowing experiences. Your getting ready to turn right, you check to make sure the lane is clear, you go and suddenly there's a car right there where there wasn't one just a second before because they changed lanes right in the intersection.

23. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    ...Your getting ready to turn right, you check to make sure the lane is clear, you go and suddenly there's a car right there where there wasn't one just a second before because they changed lanes right in the intersection.
    Exactly... That's the same experience I've had as well. Only in different locations.

Have you experienced someone swing around you during a turn in an intersection? That's a pleasant surprise.

25. Default Re: Question: What are OKC drivers like compared to other cities?

Have you experienced someone swing around you during a turn in an intersection? That's a pleasant surprise.
    Not yet but man I can't wait to experience that one!

I did have a guy make a right turn in front of me from the left lane of a one way street at Reno one day while waiting for the light to change.

Thread Information