Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I40/I44 Interchange

Default I40/I44 Interchange

I'm sorry if this has been discussed at length already. I didn't feel like reading through the other huge I-40 thread. I have a couple of questions: First, are they going to continue the second lane on the I-40 to I-44/74 northbound (technically east-bound) through the entire length of the ramp? Secondly, if not, who the heck designs these things???

For instance, I-40 is six lanes or so coming up to that interchange. Two lanes break off to the north, a couple continue through, and a lane or two break off to the south. This is fine, and I have no problem with this. My problem is that out of the two lanes that break off to the north, only one goes all the way through. This seems incredibly inefficient to me. What ends up happening is you funnel a large portion of traffic from two lanes down to one in the middle of a ramp, so the people that are in the through-going lane end up getting stuck in a huge traffic jam while others continue on around to force themselves in later. It seems more efficient to only send one lane off to the north. You end up with a really long line but it moves because you don't have that funneling effect that we do now. The other option is to continue both lanes through the freaking ramp like they should have done! Any thoughts?

Default Re: I40/I44 Interchange

Ummmm...I-40 east if the interchange was recently rebuilt so you have to turn (five) lanes into two thru lanes which previously existed since the time the interchange itself was born.

With regard to the two lanes--westbound I-40 to eastbound I-44 (traveling north) the left lane has to merge because I-44 is made of 4 lanes (the one from eastbound I-40, the two thru lanes that are I-44 and this lane). You could make it a two lane entry with the right lane turning into an Exit Only lane for NW 10th Street but you'd have to widen the overpass for Reno which means you might as well go ahead and rebuild the whole damn thing to accommodate for adding a fifth lane so that when they rebuild the whole interchange, the second lane for I-40 eastbound Exit Only to I-44 eastbound (traveling north) will already be in place.

I think it's frustrating too. There should be three lanes in every direction available at this interchange but unfortunately, the state (with the way they pay for road construction) can only afford to do so much work at one time...hence I235/I44 now and then followed by I35/I240.

I'd also like to see 2 thru lanes on I-44 westbound where Hwy 74 southbound merges in. Continue that second lane AT LEAST all the way to NW 23rd Street as an EXIT ONLY lane.

I'm still wondering why they screwed up the east bound 39th st exit to I44 W. It seemed perfectly fine before they changed it to where you now have to cross 36th st then negotiate the short s turn to get on I44.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Ummmm...I-40 east if the interchange was recently rebuilt so you have to turn (five) lanes into two thru lanes which previously existed since the time the interchange itself was born.

With regard to the two lanes--westbound I-40 to eastbound I-44 (traveling north) the left lane has to merge because I-44 is made of 4 lanes (the one from eastbound I-40, the two thru lanes that are I-44 and this lane). You could make it a two lane entry with the right lane turning into an Exit Only lane for NW 10th Street but you'd have to widen the overpass for Reno which means you might as well go ahead and rebuild the whole damn thing to accommodate for adding a fifth lane so that when they rebuild the whole interchange, the second lane for I-40 eastbound Exit Only to I-44 eastbound (traveling north) will already be in place.

I think it's frustrating too. There should be three lanes in every direction available at this interchange but unfortunately, the state (with the way they pay for road construction) can only afford to do so much work at one time...hence I235/I44 now and then followed by I35/I240.

I'd also like to see 2 thru lanes on I-44 westbound where Hwy 74 southbound merges in. Continue that second lane AT LEAST all the way to NW 23rd Street as an EXIT ONLY lane.
    The bridge at Reno is wide enough to add an exit only lane to 10th, the one at Black Gold Dr would need to be widened to accommodate that. That was probably as much as ODOT could get out of the deal to rebuild i40, the old crosstown was on the verge of being a national problem to the interstate network but completing the lane to 10th is a regional issue and is probably going to have to wait till at least the i44/i35 & i240& i35 interchanges are complete.

Three lanes (I am guessing you mean through lanes) seems like overkill, the only time that they are not smoothly flowing is because the area beyond was already clogged. I44 between i40 & Airport road needs to be at least four lanes and some better design of the i44/66/Hefner parkway needs to be completed before that is even considered.

Look at Google Maps..it is not wide enough to accommodate 5 lanes plus two shoulders. Black Gold Drive overpass could be filled in the middle like how the OTA did all their bridges.

Everything else you say, I think you just strengthened my post so thank you.

Because the 2 lanes of I44 westbound had to merge to one lane. When the added traffic from eastbound 39th St was added in, it guaranteed a gridlock there from 3 - 6 PM every day.

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Because the 2 lanes of I44 westbound had to merge to one lane. When the added traffic from eastbound 39th St was added in, it guaranteed a gridlock there from 3 - 6 PM every day.
    Not to mention the number of accidents trying to make that move off the May Avenue exit and quick crossover to I-44 to head southbound. It was a nightmare.

Just wait until there actually is traffic coming from the bouelvard.

Apparently, there is going to be 60,000 cars a day according to ODOT. lol

Speaking of this intersection, does anyone know if the construction work on westbound I-40 lanes just west of I-44 is finished? Because if it is, then that is the absolute worst concrete work I have EVER seen. They made it worse than it was when it had cracks and potholes (and most of those are still there).

They have created a huge bottleneck at I-44 & I-40. Takes forever to go north bound on I-44 from I-40. I try to avoid that area if possible. They need to get this fixed asap. but it looks like it will be years before they get to it.

HangryHippo Guest

This interchange is an abomination. I understand this state has severe fiscal problems, but this interchange needs to be blown up and rebuilt brand new. It is terrible. And whatever company did the "work" on I-40 WB just west of this interchange ought to be shut down. It's embarrassing.

12. Default Re: I40/I44 Interchange

I think it's probably the next interchange to think about after 235/44 and 35/240 are done. But really it's only the I40 bridges that are problematic and cause the "funnel". You can't really do much more for w40 to n(e)44 because all of 44 really needs another couple of lanes added to it from the hefner split down to 240. And that's not gonna happen any time soon! But there is room to make sure that I-40 has at least 3 lanes over 44. Since 2 separate lanes open up to 4 lanes (for what 6 total each way) once they hit the new 40...there's plenty of room there to make it happen.

I dont think they are done on the 40 section just west of that junction though. I drive through that daily and the inside lanes (at least as of last week) had not been touched yet. I suspect that after they finish the patching, that they'll grind it down again like they did when they did the work 10 years ago. Just more work that can help extend the life of the road.....its just kind of a mess while they work through it.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I think it's probably the next interchange to think about after 235/44 and 35/240 are done. But really it's only the I40 bridges that are problematic and cause the "funnel". You can't really do much more for w40 to n(e)44 because all of 44 really needs another couple of lanes added to it from the hefner split down to 240. And that's not gonna happen any time soon! But there is room to make sure that I-40 has at least 3 lanes over 44. Since 2 separate lanes open up to 4 lanes (for what 6 total each way) once they hit the new 40...there's plenty of room there to make it happen.

I dont think they are done on the 40 section just west of that junction though. I drive through that daily and the inside lanes (at least as of last week) had not been touched yet. I suspect that after they finish the patching, that they'll grind it down again like they did when they did the work 10 years ago. Just more work that can help extend the life of the road.....its just kind of a mess while they work through it.
    They just slapped some lines on it recently and called it good. It's absolutely awful driving over it every day. I really hope they finish it off properly soon. I have a hard time believing that any concrete contractor could do such poor work.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jompster View Post
    They just slapped some lines on it recently and called it good. It's absolutely awful driving over it every day. I really hope they finish it off properly soon. I have a hard time believing that any concrete contractor could do such poor work.
    The “work” they did here is absolute sh*t. It’s an embarrassment and I can’t believe we paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The “work” they did here is absolute sh*t. It’s an embarrassment and I can’t believe we paid for it.
    I agree. I wouldn't have paid a dime for that. Whichever company was responsible for that should be utterly ashamed.

Quote Originally Posted by jompster View Post
    I agree. I wouldn't have paid a dime for that. Whichever company was responsible for that should be utterly ashamed.
    Not only this, but the fact that it also passed inspection.

^^^ Is there any recourse to this, or are we just stuck and screwed? It's not like we can vote ODOT out or sue them....

Are they finished with these repairs ? I thought maybe they pulled off until better weather came ?

Has ODOT responded if it's finished or not ?

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Are they finished with these repairs ? I thought maybe they pulled off until better weather came ?

I was told it was finished when I inquired. Unreal.

Then it really does suck.

Bombermwc posted in the New I-40 thread that ODOT told him that they are not finished and will start back up in the Spring.

Hope this is correct, I just cant see how they could call what they've done as finished.

HangryHippo Guest

Bombermwc posted in the New I-40 thread that ODOT told him that they are not finished and will start back up in the Spring.

Hope this is correct, I just cant see how they could call what they've done as finished.
    I saw that. I'm hoping he's correct too. I contacted ODOT through social media and was told work had concluded. Perhaps they were simply referring to that stage of work? I sent them another message asking for clarification so I'll let you know what they say.

23. Default Re: I40/I44 Interchange

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    ^^^ Is there any recourse to this, or are we just stuck and screwed? It's not like we can vote ODOT out or sue them....
    The ODOT director serves at the pleasure of the governor. Haven't ever tried griping at the governor's office about ODOT, though, so I'm not sure whether it would actually get anything done.

You could also try your state House rep, who might be a little easier to put some fire under. Legislators don't have the direct authority to order work at ODOT, but Cabinet agencies generally don't like legislators poking around in their business all that much.

24. Default Re: I40/I44 Interchange

I can see them saying this but what kind of weather conditions would they want. They worked though Dec and Jan. The long range forecast is pretty much warm for Feb and dry.

Blog Entries

I could post this in several threads, but haven't. I wonder if the awful hi-way system has any effect on business people looking at OKC for a home for their business? What I mean by that is if you fly into OKC, get a rental car, then drive on I-44 north, that road has been awful for years as far as bumpiness. Then, heaven forbid, they are looking out west on I-40... 40 gets better after Council, but that section that they just "repaired" between Portland and Meridian (both ways), is an absolute joke. It is worse than it was before they "repaired" it. I have to think that the car ride around this city has to have some indirect effect when people evaluate OKC.

Thread Information