Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Uptown Grocery to the Village

Default Re: Uptown Grocery to the Village

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    Don't forget that Ingrid's built a central bakery quite literally across the street from sprouts. Excellent baked goods and you can just walk across the street when you visit sprouts. Which has decent bread. But it's so much nicer to get a loaf that was baked that morning from ingrids. They do hot & cold sandwiches too.
    Walk across the street? Have you been to 63rd and May lately? Not pedestrian friendly - BAD intersection.

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    Don't forget that Ingrid's built a central bakery quite literally across the street from sprouts. Excellent baked goods and you can just walk across the street when you visit sprouts. Which has decent bread. But it's so much nicer to get a loaf that was baked that morning from ingrids. They do hot & cold sandwiches too.
    Actually, that bakery existed prior to Sprouts for quite a while, believe it was called Sweet(e?) Memories, owned or run by the Saturn Grill folks (which is why their desserts used to be wonderful). Then they sold to Ingrid's a couple of years back and I stopped getting dessert at Saturn Grill. And yeah, walking across May to there from Sprouts would be unpleasant (but do-able as long as you can run ).

It's a great addition to the neighborhood, it will be VERY popular I think. I did go opening weekend to shop. I don't like it though, I hate the colors, not a fan of the layout. The deli is nice, good cheese selection, but not too much else to get excited about. The nice Homeland at Britton and May is much better IMHO, it's where I go when I need things Whole Foods doesn't have, Sprouts is gross and I won't shop there.

4. Default Re: Uptown Grocery to the Village

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    As a single guy, I love grocery stores with prepared foods. It's still cheaper than eating out and you get a well-balanced meal. When I wish for a quality grocery store in central OKC, prepared foods is a big part of that.
    Good point BChris. Downtown would definitely need a grocer (or more) to specialize in prepared meals.

On that note, how does Native Roots fair? Given they're in the heart of Deep Deuce, the state's most dense area likely with mostly singles, I was assuming they had the specialty prepared meal thing covered but that it was everyday things downtowners were looking for. Is there opportunity for NR here?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

^

Native Roots has great fresh and flavorful soups and sandwiches and other prepared items.

They really do a great job in that store and I hope they can hang in there even when they are no longer the only game downtown.

6. Default Re: Uptown Grocery to the Village

I also hope that the singles are remembering NR then when they're looking for prepared meals from a grocer. Perhaps NR should do some creative advertising to market themselves since there are a significant amount of new arrivals downtown AND there's more residential further from NR than there ever has been in the past.

I think the market is there and it's a little concerning that BChris didn't mention NR as an option to fill his needs.

We went there today, and all I can say is "Screw Crest, we're done with you!". Selection was so much better than Crest (10 each of 8 different kinds of Inglehoffer mustard vs. Crest's 100 each of 2 kinds, for example), they have less quantity of more items than Crest, better items than Crest, just better in pretty much every single way than Crest, other than *maybe* price (some things were cheaper than Crest, some more expensive). Crest does have a very few things that they don't, but we can get those elsewhere (sweet soy sauce, 5 oz Dixie cups, just a few odds'n'ends). Cheese selection is OK, but not nearly as good as WF for the more exotic kinds, bakery's better, but they had a brand of meat we haven't heard of that they slice at the deli counter, can't remember the name offhand, but it wasn't Wilson or Boar's Head, so hopefully it's a good brand, nice little seating area and coffee/juice counter, and their soups look *really* good, as well as the olive bar. Oh, and the produce - OMG, there *is* good produce in OKC! Crest's was so pathetic, there were times I literally could not find a single decent yellow onion (or green pepper, or head of cabbage, or ...), and they didn't put their asparagus in water (a lot of places don't do that in OKC, but Uptown is one of the few that does). More traffic and further than Crest, but it'll be worth it to shop at a decent store again!

8. Default Re: Uptown Grocery to the Village

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I also hope that the singles are remembering NR then when they're looking for prepared meals from a grocer. Perhaps NR should do some creative advertising to market themselves since there are a significant amount of new arrivals downtown AND there's more residential further from NR than there ever has been in the past.

I think the market is there and it's a little concerning that BChris didn't mention NR as an option to fill his needs.
    Speaking to NR advertising, they sent out a discount ($x off if you spend $x amount) recently to my building, and I assume most others living in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    We went there today, and all I can say is "Screw Crest, we're done with you!". Selection was so much better than Crest (10 each of 8 different kinds of Inglehoffer mustard vs. Crest's 100 each of 2 kinds, for example), they have less quantity of more items than Crest, better items than Crest, just better in pretty much every single way than Crest, other than *maybe* price (some things were cheaper than Crest, some more expensive). Crest does have a very few things that they don't, but we can get those elsewhere (sweet soy sauce, 5 oz Dixie cups, just a few odds'n'ends). Cheese selection is OK, but not nearly as good as WF for the more exotic kinds, bakery's better, but they had a brand of meat we haven't heard of that they slice at the deli counter, can't remember the name offhand, but it wasn't Wilson or Boar's Head, so hopefully it's a good brand, nice little seating area and coffee/juice counter, and their soups look *really* good, as well as the olive bar. Oh, and the produce - OMG, there *is* good produce in OKC! Crest's was so pathetic, there were times I literally could not find a single decent yellow onion (or green pepper, or head of cabbage, or ...), and they didn't put their asparagus in water (a lot of places don't do that in OKC, but Uptown is one of the few that does). More traffic and further than Crest, but it'll be worth it to shop at a decent store again!
    Probably cause they were out of season, but before Uptown Grocery was open I was looking for plums and peaches. Ended up having to go to wal mart for it =(

10. Default Re: Uptown Grocery to the Village

nice to see, sooner. Simple loyalty and coupon advertising to the local community like that can enhance the market and 'remind' people that OKC does have a downtown grocer that could fill their needs.

Pub is now open from 11 AM - 2 PM and 4 PM - 8 PM. Drink list attached, sorry it's so big, lazy and didn't resize it. Nice local selection of beers, wines look decent too, but weird to have a drink or two, then go grocery shopping (or vice versa)...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0612.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	426.0 KB 
ID:	12355

^

Thanks!

And ooh, a handful of nice local brew options.

Just a quick driving tip for anyone who travels to Uptown Grocery Co. using the Lake Hefner Parkway. The signal at May Ave. & Britton Rd. is notoriously long in duration and not enough time given to people turning left. When exiting onto Britton Rd. from the Lake Hefner Parkway, turn in at the side street that is located between the Freemason Lodge and Kim Wah. This shortcut will allow you to snake back to the parking lot of Uptown Grocery Co. while avoiding the signal and wait at May & Britton.

I ate here the other week. I think I might have ordered wrong.

Sidebar: It isn't necessarily clear that there's a machine between the bakery and the entrance where you can input the order.

Back to the main story. Ordered a buffalo chicken and bleu cheese panini, and a pear smoothie of sorts. The chicken was dry, and the smoothie was frothy/watery. I plan on ordering from the hot bar next time I go there.

Finally visited today, and man does that store blow the Edmond location out of the water!

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    Finally visited today, and man does that store blow the Edmond location out of the water!
    In what ways?

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    In what ways?
    For me it was a combination of the following (I still like the Edmond store a lot, I realized that I might have given the impression that I don't):

1) The hot food line is self serve: It's quicker than having to wait on someone to fix your plate after they, and you, try to figure out whose turn it is to be served. It also makes it easier to get whatever size serving you want.
    2) The dining area is nicer and bigger.
    3) They have a bar!
    4) More quick food options: pizza & calzones, the make-your-own plate Mongolian BBQ, sushi bar, smoothies.
    5) In general, it just seems bigger for all the other departments (meat) and more self-serve areas (like the bakery where you can get cookies and breads yourself instead of having to wait on staff).

I always thought of the Edmond location as having the meat/bakery/produce/deli section of a Whole Foods attached to a traditional grocery store. The lighting and layout of the "traditional" section felt and looked more like a traditional grocery store to me. I don't know if the new location has a bigger selection, but it feels like they extended the design of the meat/bakery/deli section to the rest of the store. I don't know if that makes any sense the way I'm describing it.

I don't think that the Edmond store is suddenly worse than what it was before, but I feel that they managed to take all the great stuff from the original Edmond location and improve on that and make it even better.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    For me it was a combination of the following (I still like the Edmond store a lot, I realized that I might have given the impression that I don't):

1) The hot food line is self serve: It's quicker than having to wait on someone to fix your plate after they, and you, try to figure out whose turn it is to be served. It also makes it easier to get whatever size serving you want.
    2) The dining area is nicer and bigger.
    3) They have a bar!
    4) More quick food options: pizza & calzones, the make-your-own plate Mongolian BBQ, sushi bar, smoothies.
    5) In general, it just seems bigger for all the other departments (meat) and more self-serve areas (like the bakery where you can get cookies and breads yourself instead of having to wait on staff).

I always thought of the Edmond location as having the meat/bakery/produce/deli section of a Whole Foods attached to a traditional grocery store. The lighting and layout of the "traditional" section felt and looked more like a traditional grocery store to me. I don't know if the new location has a bigger selection, but it feels like they extended the design of the meat/bakery/deli section to the rest of the store. I don't know if that makes any sense the way I'm describing it.

I don't think that the Edmond store is suddenly worse than what it was before, but I feel that they managed to take all the great stuff from the original Edmond location and improve on that and make it even better.
    3) They have a bar? Like where you sit and drink alcohol?
    4) How are the calzones?

I've gone upstairs to the bar a few times and have yet to see an employee up there. We went last night, bought a wok-prepared meal and went upstairs to eat, but there wasn't anyone up there to sell us a beer.

20. Default Re: Uptown Grocery to the Village

Yep. It's pretty cool. Upstairs, overlooking the rest of the store.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    I've gone upstairs to the bar a few times and have yet to see an employee up there. We went last night, bought a wok-prepared meal and went upstairs to eat, but there wasn't anyone up there to sell us a beer.
    The hours are a bit odd, from 11-2 and 4-8, I believe, and there has been someone up there whenever we've been there, but that's always been during the daytime.

4) How are the calzones?
    Dunno about the calzones, but the paninis aren't great - good taste and good bread, but the insides don't get hot enough on their press.

And yes, alcohol is served (wine and beer only), check a few posts up for their drink menu that I posted a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    The hours are a bit odd, from 11-2 and 4-8, I believe, and there has been someone up there whenever we've been there, but that's always been during the daytime.
    Hmm. We were there right close to 730pm, but they may have shut it down early. I'll keep checking. I like the idea of grabbing a bite downstairs and bringing it upstairs to eat with an adult beverage.

I wonder how about other new add building in Uptown Grocery to the Midwest City/ Del City? As you know how far going up there in The Village and Edmond that long way to get there and return to Midwest City/Del City. We went there last few month ago at the Village it's very nice store. We can't image how wonderful looking so great! I wish bring down to set up a new building here in Midwest City/Del City in the future someday who know. But I know how far we drove there from at Midwest City/Del City to The Village or Edmond take for about approximate 15 miles or 30 miles roundtrips.

The Village looks for growth despite lack of space

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record April 21, 2017

THE VILLAGE – Carl Edwards gave the city some harsh news.

Edwards and his business partners have owned the Casady Square shopping center off W. Britton Road since the 1980s. He said they wanted to invest in the property because it was near Casady School and it wasn’t far from Nichols Hills.

While the center is about 80 percent occupied and does well, it’s not a huge sales-tax generator.

“It’s going to be very difficult for a center like Casady Square to attract a large tenant,” he said. “It’s the big tenants that generate the most sales tax.”

And like other cities in Oklahoma, The Village is trying to figure out how to generate more sales tax, which can come with more retailers. But The Village is nearly out of room. The city measures 2.6 square miles, with only one undeveloped corner remaining.

Securing Uptown Grocery Co. at 9515 N. May Ave. showed the city had potential to get more shoppers, said Sonny Wilkinson, city councilman. The grocery store was built in the city’s tax increment finance district.

“Uptown showed what was possible,” he said.

With space dwindling but development interest rising, Wilkinson and the council wanted to look at how the city could be more strategic in locating new businesses.

In February, the council approved hiring the Center for Economic Development Law to create a strategic plan regarding the city’s development.

“We’re not creating a land-use plan,” said Leslie Batchelor, an attorney with the center. “We’re creating an action plan with immediate steps and long-term steps. We’re looking at ideas such as commercial zoned space and if it brings in sales tax. At the same time, retail is changing. People’s shopping habits are changing. By creating a more sense of place, they’ll see The Village as a destination. We can create a whole experience and a pleasant place to be.”

The center is looking at four areas: the TIF area that includes Uptown, the W. Britton Road corridor, the N. May Avenue corridor, and the W. Hefner Road corridor.

“We want to give The Village an identity,” he said. “Some corridors you don’t even know when you’re entering The Village.”

The city is asking residents for their insight with a meeting on April 27 at 4:30 p.m. at The Village Library. City leaders have also reached out to Love’s Travel Stops and Country Stores to see how the company’s open spaces can be used by city residents.

City Manager Bruce Stone said it’s crucial for the city to have a strategic plan.

“To do the things we want to do, we have to have more sales tax,” he said. “To have sales tax, we need more retail.”

Thread Information