Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Uptown Grocery to the Village

Default Re: Uptown Grocery to the Village

I went by at about 7 to try and get some coffee but the east doors were locked and they didn't appear to be open for business yet. Sign said they opened at 6AM, so I'm hoping it's just a wonky first-week schedule. I walked through the store yesterday, and I am very happy to have it 3 blocks away. Prices aren't much better than our Homeland, but it's far more convenient with far more amenities.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    I went by at about 7 to try and get some coffee but the east doors were locked and they didn't appear to be open for business yet. Sign said they opened at 6AM, so I'm hoping it's just a wonky first-week schedule. I walked through the store yesterday, and I am very happy to have it 3 blocks away. Prices aren't much better than our Homeland, but it's far more convenient with far more amenities.
    I went in right at 6AM this morning but entered through the main, south entrance.

Coffee place was open.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I went in right at 6AM this morning but entered through the main, south entrance.

Coffee place was open.
    Well shoot. I didn't want to embarrass myself going all the way around to the other one if it wasn't open, and since it wasn't open until 8 yesterday I thought I'd give them a pass.

Don't feel bad, I was literally the only customer in there the entire time and it sure didn't look open when I pulled up.

I *love* the fact they are open so early every day. That means I could drive there early on a Sunday and have the whole place to myself. Also, would mean no traffic as it's a good 10 miles from me, but going so early this AM it was only a 12 minute drive.

The places is so great it will be worth the trip, although way too far to be my every day store.

I would *kill* to have one of these downtown.
    No kidding! How can we make that happen, even if on a smaller scale?

I need to go shopping this afternoon anyway, I think I'll stop by.

terryinokc Guest

Went last night about 8:00---parking lot was not packed but several people looking around. When I checked out, only 2 lanes open and didn't see anyone with full baskets.
    It is a nice store--and much brighter and roomier feeling than the one in Edmond. The perimeter departments all looked nice--didn't really look at the meat department.
    As far as the grocery "side"---pretty average in my opinion. You could go to any new Kroger or Publix and have just as nice or a nicer store....of course, those aren't here...and this is nice for OKC.
    I live about 5 or 6 minutes from there...a little closer to Sprouts. Wouldn't use this as my only store to shop in--I am a big store brand shopper. There are a few Best Choice items mixed in...but not close to the selection that BFL or Crest or Homeland would carry.
    If you want 200 kinds of yogurt...this could be your place.
    I shop multiple stores monthly--Aldi every couple of weeks for a big chunk of items....Sprouts for meat and vegetables...and Crest for everything else. I will add this to the mix for a while and see how it goes.
    Definitely a nice store...a nice option to everything else we have here.
    Prices on grocery items were comparable with Homeland I would say.
    Just my two cents.

I'll need to check this place out for myself. From what I've seen and heard, this is the type of grocery store OKC needs more of, especially closer to the urban core which is so underserved by quality options.

Reminds me of a Mustard Seed Market.

Glad to have some upscale options in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    No kidding! How can we make that happen, even if on a smaller scale?
    It doesn't even have to be in downtown proper, just convenient from it. Something like this on Classen somewhere between 23rd and 36th would be excellent. Of course Midtown would be ideal but if there isn't enough rooftops there isn't enough.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    It doesn't even have to be in downtown proper, just convenient from it. Something like this on Classen somewhere between 23rd and 36th would be excellent. Of course Midtown would be ideal but if there isn't enough rooftops there isn't enough.
    In my ideal world, we'd plop one of these Uptowns right next to Byron's and call it a day!

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    In my ideal world, we'd plop one of these Uptowns right next to Byron's and call it a day!
    That would be perfect. Could draw from the high-income neighborhoods of Edgemere Park, Heritage Hills, and Mesta Park, and be convenient for those living downtown.

Bluegarten / Industry Flea site is where it is most likely to go with the great added benefit of being on the streetcar line.

Bluegarten / Industry Flea site is where it is most likely to go with the great added benefit of being on the streetcar line.
    Are they waiting for the streetcar before pulling the trigger, or are they waiting on more housing?

Both.

I could live with that! Very much so.

I think we are still about 3 years out but also believe there is a very good chance of it happening.

I liked it well enough, was very shiny.

In case anyone is curious about the layout:

It was a tiny bit confusing from the outside on account of the two different sets of entrances, don't park near the side entrance if you have lots of stuff to buy or you're going to have a bit of a longer walk back with your loot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UptownGroceryMap.jpg 
Views:	704 
Size:	280.5 KB 
ID:	12197  

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I liked it well enough, was very shiny.

In case anyone is curious about the layout:

It was a tiny bit confusing from the outside on account of the two different sets of entrances, don't park near the side entrance if you have lots of stuff to buy or you're going to have a bit of a longer walk back with your loot.
    "Uptown Pub"?

I went to Uptown Grocery tonight. Very nice store. It definitely will satisfy people who have lived in other cities and have had access to Kroger, Publix, Harris Teeter, etc. I probably wouldn't say its the nicest store I've ever seen, as some of the flagship Harris Teeter and H-E-B locations are a sight to behold, but its still a very solid store. I talked to the manager and told him they should put one downtown. He hinted that it will be coming within the next couple of years.

It will be interesting to see if the neighboring Homeland can hold it's own.

It's their flagship store but pales in comparison to this new Uptown Grocery and their prices are no better.

^^^ The parking lot was pretty full at the Homeland when I drove by last night. The Homeland at S 104th and Penn, so far, has held on despite Crest being so close and its in much worse shape. If the May and Britton Homeland fails, I think that's the beginning of the end for Homeland as a chain.

The May and Britton Homeland will likely benefit from Grand Cru Wine and Liquor being there, which is the best liquor store in OKC in my opinion. Aside from all the accessories and wine tastings, it reminds me of Total Wine.

I did my usual Saturday morning grocery shopping today and, as I normally go to the Homeland, I decided to take my shopping list to the Uptown Market first to compare prices. There were a few things cheaper there and a few were higher or exactly the same price. The Homeland is definitely a larger store in the general grocery aisles so it likely has a larger selection. The Uptown Market is nicer and with a larger selection in the prepared foods area. The Homeland is certainly not bad in that area though. I didn't see anything yet that would make me change stores except for the prepared foods but I may continue to compare for a few weeks. The Homeland seemed to be just as busy as it normally is on a Saturday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by TexanOkie View Post
    "Uptown Pub"?
    There is a pub upstairs that will also be used for special events. I spoke with one of the employees this morning who told me they would do wine tastings, have live music, etc. I was also told you could purchase a protein (steak, chicken), take it to the grill counter, and have it grilled to order for free. Then you could take said steak upstairs and have a beer with your food.

It's a pretty cool store, and has replaced Homeland for me.

25. Default Re: Uptown Grocery to the Village

I went last night and it is very nice. The cashier told me that the pub would be open soon and that next time my fiance goes grocery shopping I should come hang out and have some beers. Sounded awesome to me.

Thread Information