Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 28 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Default Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Now allowing Kansas toll tags to be used in Oklahoma and vice versa. Will be nice. I also believe you can now use Oklahoma toll tags in North Texas and North Texas tags in Oklahoma. I really just wish they'd do away with toll tags and bill your license plate or add it to your taxes every year.

http://newsok.com/traveling-teachers...rticle/3946608

2. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

They need to make the next jump and connect into I-Pass and EZ-Pass.

Billing a license plate wouldn't work since you would have too many people getting covers that block out the plate from view - well until a cop catches them. Leave it off my taxes though. We pay enough and it doesn't even cover the non-toll roads. If I need to use a toll road, I have no problem paying to use it.They also tend to be in much better condition than non-toll highways.

Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Technically the service isn't available NOW. The Kansas spokesman said they hope to have it up and running by the end of the year. Don't be like a local new station and mess the wording up, PluPan.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post

Billing a license plate wouldn't work since you would have too many people getting covers that block out the plate from view - well until a cop catches them. Leave it off my taxes though. We pay enough and it doesn't even cover the non-toll roads. If I need to use a toll road, I have no problem paying to use it.They also tend to be in much better condition than non-toll highways.
    Both the Colorado and TxDOT (Austin) systems bill you off the tag (at a higher rate) if you do not have an ExpressToll or TxTAG sticker. I know it works, we got one from Colorado when we still had Texas tags and when we closed on the house in Austin and moved up the last of our possessions we got a bill since I terminated the TxTAG account the day before. Now I only have the Colorado and Oklahoma accounts.

It would be nice for them to be interoperable so I could get down to one account. I did have three at one time, OK, TxTag and NTTA since I was working up in Dallas. When the TxTag went to working statewide I closed the NTTA account.

You know what, I didn't even think about that. I have one of those, and I checked, they are not illegal either. I have cops behind me all the time when and they don't ever pull me over for it. So I don't think they are illegal, esp. seeing as they sell them in auto stores. Either way, I still don't believe in cheating the turnpike authority over money, I just have it for red light and speed cameras.

It would be nice to have the a license plate scanner and and toll tag. Then people who have the photo blocking plate covers(like me) could have a toll tag. It works in Texas, I'm sure it would work here.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    You know what, I didn't even think about that. I have one of those, and I checked, they are not illegal either. I have cops behind me all the time when and they don't ever pull me over for it. So I don't think they are illegal, esp. seeing as they sell them in auto stores. Either way, I still don't believe in cheating the turnpike authority over money, I just have it for red light and speed cameras.

It would be nice to have the a license plate scanner and and toll tag. Then people who have the photo blocking plate covers(like me) could have a toll tag. It works in Texas, I'm sure it would work here.
    The Mythbusters did some testing and figured out that NONE of the license plate hiders (at the time) worked... they tag always got caught.

On another note, I don't believe the Pike Pass has interoperability with Texas yet. Kansas will be the first.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    The Mythbusters did some testing and figured out that NONE of the license plate hiders (at the time) worked... they tag always got caught.

On another note, I don't believe the Pike Pass has interoperability with Texas yet. Kansas will be the first.
    Not sure about the toll ways, but my tag works.

Not sure about the toll ways, but my tag works.
    The OTA Twitter account confirmed that Texas is not interoperable yet... it might work because your license plate is run, but not because your Pike Pass is connected to Texas. They said "Coming soon... stay tuned."

The OTA Twitter account confirmed that Texas is not interoperable yet... it might work because your license plate is run, but not because your Pike Pass is connected to Texas. They said "Coming soon... stay tuned."
    Well, the only reason I have a tag photo blocker is when I go to Dallas, I have received two tickets for running red lights. I know for a fact I didn't run them and I have four dash cams in my car that record everything along with a blackbox and I spent three hours looking through footage and I stopped at every light and sent it in to the Dallas court. It is a pain in the ass and have had to do it two times!!!!! I have also had friends and family that live there tell me they have received red light photo tickets for no reason.

I know though, it works because I have passed speed cameras in St. Louis going well over the limit and they attempted to take a photo of my tag and it didn't work. I don't plan on breaking the law, but I don't want my tag out there for any camera to pick up either. Not sure which one the myth busters use, but I have BLINDER-X-TREME Anti photo license plate cover Blinder.net plate right here.

I didn't realize the Texas Turnpike isn't ready yet either. I know I have a toll tag because I don't want to cheat out of paying. I have the same thing for the Kirpatrick Turnpike, Pikepass.

11. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

I don't plan on breaking the law...
    I know though, it works because I have passed speed cameras in St. Louis going well over the limit and they attempted to take a photo of my tag and it didn't work
    So your constant lead foot is just accidental?

So your constant lead foot is just accidental?
    I had a friend with me that ushered me into speeding on purpose to see if the camera could get my plate. Thank god it worked because if I had gotten a ticket..... TREME would have gotten a message from me explaining that their product is garbage , I'd be stuck with a speeding ticket, and I'd feel really stupid for doing such a thing. It wasn't like going 100 or anything like that, just a little over. There wasn't anyone around either.

Well, the only reason I have a tag photo blocker is when I go to Dallas, I have received two tickets for running red lights. I know for a fact I didn't run them and I have four dash cams in my car that record everything along with a blackbox and I spent three hours looking through footage and I stopped at every light and sent it in to the Dallas court. It is a pain in the ass and have had to do it two times!!!!! I have also had friends and family that live there tell me they have received red light photo tickets for no reason.

I know though, it works because I have passed speed cameras in St. Louis going well over the limit and they attempted to take a photo of my tag and it didn't work. I don't plan on breaking the law, but I don't want my tag out there for any camera to pick up either. Not sure which one the myth busters use, but I have BLINDER-X-TREME Anti photo license plate cover Blinder.net plate right here.
    You wouldn't need the dash-cams and worries about tickets if we had more transportation options and a more walkable, less-driving-required urban landscape...

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

You wouldn't need the dash-cams and worries about tickets if we had more transportation options and a more walkable, less-driving-required urban landscape...

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

can't say you're wrong...

15. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Those red light cameras have been proven to be inaccurate in almost every deployment. For a normal light issue, they're ok. But if something out of the ordinary happens, they go nuts. For example, out of no fault of your own, you get stuck in the intersection because something happens mid-stream in front of you (like a wreck). BAM, ticket. The thought is to keep the intersection clear so you must deserve a ticket. That's the trouble with a machine instead of a person....it can't account for all situations with critical thinking.

San Diego, CA is an example of how so many cities have deployed this in a catastrophic way. They had several put in near the airport. If you're familiar with the area, there is a high congested (and poorly planned) road structure to get from the water's edge, to get over the mountains to the actual town....and the highway (which does NOT go right to the airport believe it or not). There is a ton of traffic and it blocks intersections because of the way too many streets cross each other in too short of an area, along with a rail line. It's just horrible design. Anyway, they put these lights in there to try and control it. Except the CITY didn't put them in. They contracted it. 50% of the tickets get contested (90% of those cases are upheld) but the COST of the ticket is double to three times that of a regular light because the contractor charges so much to manage the system. There has been major PR backlash because there's that lovely "Welcome to San Diego, here's your ticket". It really turned into a whole big issue of corruption between the city and the contractor. But suffice to say, they were planning on taking them down.

PluPan, what was your take on the I-44-235 interchange sketch? I saw it on Steve's Twitter. Are there enough stacks going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Motley View Post
    PluPan, what was your take on the I-44-235 interchange sketch? I saw it on Steve's Twitter. Are there enough stacks going on?
    haha... I've said it before, but I think it will be a huge improvement over what is there now. I-235 is getting a massive 6 lane bridge with two fly-overs, and is being widened to six lanes all the way through. I-44 is going to be six lanes all the way through and the cloverleafs are going to be wider and have their own dedicated lanes(technically the bridge will be 8 lanes I guess) so I think this will keep traffic moving for a very long time just depending on much growth the metro sees.

All in all, I like this project and to say is much needed is an understatement. This should have been done back in the early 2000's at best. I still hope the Santa Fe bridge happens, which one of my neighbors who does something for ODOT(I don't really remember what) told me a few weeks ago the bridge is still happening, but I've heard from others it isn't.

Like I said, I do like this, but if it were me I would removed the cloverleafs and add flyovers, but due to BNSF bridge, it would require them to be much longer and higher than normal flyover ramps and be very costly, but I still would've done it.

It should make the flow of cars in and out of all the new downtown parking garages more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Motley View Post
    It should make the flow of cars in and out of all the new downtown parking garages more efficient.
    Yeah. It should help all the people who subsidize downtown get there quicker, that's for sure.

FYI-People that have the hard case toll tags for NTTA, they will not read on Oklahoma Turnpikes. Only the sticker tags will read. Don't know if it has to do with the transponder, or if it is due to technology issues. I heard from employees that the interoperability for Pike Pass and the NTTA was implemented due to higher demand.

Thread Information