Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

In regards to the OTA approving a plan for PikePass use across all of Texas' turnpike systems - is it just me, or does this whole setup feel rather similar to the way E-ZPass began in New York? I personally think it's pretty awesome that we're getting the ball rolling on interoperability, and it wouldn't surprise me if an inter-agency group similar to E-ZPass gets created within the next several years - and we're the driving force behind the IAG.

Looks like Hefner Parkway and Kilpatrick will be getting more flyovers to further complete the interchange in 2018. Says there will be a bid for direct connect ramps @20million in 2018.

https://www.pikepass.com/pdf/5%20Yea...tal%20Plan.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Looks like Hefner Parkway and Kilpatrick will be getting more flyovers to further complete the interchange in 2018. Says there will be a bid for direct connect ramps @20million in 2018.

https://www.pikepass.com/pdf/5%20Yea...tal%20Plan.pdf
    Not sure if i'm reading this right, but one is for 2017 and one is for 2018... ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Not sure if i'm reading this right, but one is for 2017 and one is for 2018... ?
    I missed that! Even better. So they are spending close to 40 million adding new ramps. Is that enough to complete the entire interchange? So this would become a solid 4 stack with flyovers in each direction.

I hope it's enough to complete the interchange, but at the very least it should get a flyover for NB LHP to WB Kilpatrick and EB Kilpatrick to SB LHP.

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher07 View Post
    I hope it's enough to complete the interchange, but at the very least it should get a flyover for NB LHP to WB Kilpatrick and EB Kilpatrick to SB LHP.
    Agreed. Those are the two biggest needed, imo.

9. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Hopefully the will do a SB Broadway to EB Kilpatrick someday

Does OTA have the same fiscal year as the state? If so wouldn't we be in higher year 2017 right now meaning the 1st bridge budgeted would be happening within the next 12 months?

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    Does OTA have the same fiscal year as the state? If so wouldn't we be in higher year 2017 right now meaning the 1st bridge budgeted would be happening within the next 12 months?
    That is correct. The state's FY is July-June and OTA follows it.

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    I saw on one of the reports on OTAs website where it states they're in "negotiations" for this project. I'm guessing that means they're negotiating with the consultant on the design fees so it probably won't be until later in the FY when they go to bid.

This sounds like a good idea, but I have questions. The main one is how much would this cost me? Theoretical question, considering I have a Pikepass, but let's roll with it. What bill am I mailed? A bill for the toll, or a bill for the toll, plus processing, plus fee for mailing, plus whatever other fees OTA thinks they can get away with?

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I love this.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    This sounds like a good idea, but I have questions. The main one is how much would this cost me? Theoretical question, considering I have a Pikepass, but let's roll with it. What bill am I mailed? A bill for the toll, or a bill for the toll, plus processing, plus fee for mailing, plus whatever other fees OTA thinks they can get away with?

My experience in Denver is the toll for paying by plate is slightly higher than other methods, so you will receive a bill once a month in the mail and there are no dditional fees. The slightly higher toll covers admin costs and postage.

Yeah, Texas does this and I like it. If you don't have a "tolltag" account with fund (just like a pikepass) you get billed at a higher rate. They send out the bills monthly, and you have 25 days to pay, or you get a $10 administrative fee. I've actually gotten mailed a bill up here (you have to get over $50 to get mailed if you're out of state).

What's nice about this, is that it encourages out of state drivers to use the toll roads more.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    What's nice about this, is that it encourages out of state drivers to use the toll roads more.
    Great point, jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
    Great point, jerry.
    Agreed, very convenient and will definitely lead to more out of state users.

20. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

This is great. When Texas went to the system I found it very easy to use and didn't mind paying when I went to see family as the bill just came in the mail.

I don't know how many times I see people slam on breaks and cross three lanes to make it to the toll booth.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I don't know how many times I see people slam on breaks and cross three lanes to make it to the toll booth.
    Right?! That is so damn irritating!

I also wonder about the cost difference between these, manned booths, and unmanned toll stations (the latter two, besides maintenance, have a labor expense as well). If seems like a system like this would ultimately save the turnpike authority some dough.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Yeah, Texas does this and I like it. If you don't have a "tolltag" account with fund (just like a pikepass) you get billed at a higher rate. They send out the bills monthly, and you have 25 days to pay, or you get a $10 administrative fee. I've actually gotten mailed a bill up here (you have to get over $50 to get mailed if you're out of state).

The out of state part was something I had in mind as well. I really wish states would interlink their turnpike tag systems, but in lieu of that just sending the registered owner a bill via plate scan will do as well. I'm fine with the charge being slightly higher, because there are mail costs, but on the other hand I also agree that not paying someone to sit in the booth is going to result in a certain amount of savings as well. What I had in mind was a fresh experience from recently renewing my tags. There's the tag fee. Then the insurance fee (not really 100% certain what this is, it costs $1.50 to verify I have insurance? Then why am I printing that card out every six months?). Then the mail fee. Then the fee if paying by credit card.

Thankfully it doesn't look like it would be something like that, so bring it on. Like I said, I have a Pikepass, but let's be honest, the real reason I have that is to avoid the bottleneck that results from paying cash. Removing the booths removes that bottleneck.

We can rebuild it. We have the technology.

Maybe they will put this technology in the Norman Spur toll area next. I always thought, it was crazy that people with pikepasses have to veer left while the toll booths are in the middle of the road.

You can end up spending a lot of money on toll fees if your not careful in Dallas where every other road is a toll road it seems like. Its also more complex in that the fees change based on traffic conditions in some places.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Maybe they will put this technology in the Norman Spur toll area next. I always thought, it was crazy that people with pikepasses have to veer left while the toll booths are in the middle of the road.
    This.

Thread Information