Widgets Magazine
Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It also says there are reasons why the price was upped and that the value wasn't considered unusual.

Just click-bait IMO.
    Thanks Pete. Due to the pay wall, I was unable to read the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I’m out of the loop. What is the status of the east to west connector and south extension? Does this mean they’re dead?
    no, not dead at all. i think we are all still waiting for the Supreme Court Ruling. all of the other law suits and rulings, are really just slowing down the process, have done nothing in the way of stopping any of it. There just seems to need to be some slight modifications around Federal Land around Lake Thunderbird which will require taking a few more houses, and same around the airport.

There just seems to need to be some slight modifications around Federal Land around Lake Thunderbird which will require taking a few more houses
    Brilliant work by the turnpike opponents if this is the end result, though that could be unfair since the feds might have said no regardless of local objections.

FYI - if you go to the Access Oklahoma website they have posted updates for each of the projects. They break it down by each segment within each project, noting which ones are held up in court vs which ones are they are continuing with design/engineering on. Generally, they have been bad about keeping that site updated, so I was surprised to see those updates posted recently.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    no, not dead at all. i think we are all still waiting for the Supreme Court Ruling. all of the other law suits and rulings, are really just slowing down the process, have done nothing in the way of stopping any of it. There just seems to need to be some slight modifications around Federal Land around Lake Thunderbird which will require taking a few more houses, and same around the airport.
    Awesome! Hopefully these projects get built.

This was a Lawton based company that has stations on many of the Oklahoma turnpikes. Looks like Loves will be buying them out. I assume this means Loves will acquire these locations as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B8D53177-8BAD-4BD5-80EA-0F34A2FC0C45.jpeg 
Views:	109 
Size:	284.4 KB 
ID:	17876

Looking at the plans for the kilpatrick. It looks like there will only be an interchange at county line. Not new ramps at council. And also looks like no new off ramps for west bound kilpatrick. This seems weird. Still requiring anyone going west to get off at rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    Looking at the plans for the kilpatrick. It looks like there will only be an interchange at county line. Not new ramps at council. And also looks like no new off ramps for west bound kilpatrick. This seems weird. Still requiring anyone going west to get off at rockwell

Hmm, that change is recent. The plans I'd seen had a full interchange at Council.

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Hmm, that change is recent. The plans I'd seen had a full interchange at Council.
    Yea it seems odd. I looks at the plans multiple times and there I nothing for council. And nothing for west bound off ramps which seems insane. So much traffic already had to exit at rockwell. And that is where relief it needed with an additional off-ramp at council or county line to give relief to that area.

OTA needs to add eastbound JKT exit ramp for Santa Fe now that they have gone cashless rendering the old toll plaza that's there empty. They've got plenty of room to make an offramp up to the service road there. This would provide major relief to the JKT/Western intersection.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    OTA needs to add eastbound JKT exit ramp for Santa Fe now that they have gone cashless rendering the old toll plaza that's there empty. They've got plenty of room to make an offramp up to the service road there. This would provide major relief to the JKT/Western intersection.
    That would help, also reworking the entire south side Western/Memorial intersection is needed. The on-off ramps also need to be pushed back to ease congestion. Overall it wouldn't cost that much to do compared to building an entire new turnpike in eastern Oklahoma county.

Who owns what? I imagine the at grade intersection is OKC, ramps would be OTA? Does OTA technically maintain the access road from Costco to Santa Fe, since that isn't Memorial?

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    Are you speaking of N Council?

https://www.oag.ok.gov/articles/drum...pike-authority

Drummond requests investigative audit of Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Some really good info on the court case the OTA just lost and the current OTA financials.
    https://freedom969.com/podcast/the-j...ay_file=133146
    I can understand now why the state AG will be doing the audit.

15. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

I know its all speculation. I'm no fan of the OTA at all and I welcome a set of eyes making sure they're up to snuff. But does anyone thing this will actually prevent them from doing the new roads? So far, i'm not seeing anything that would do anything other than inconvenience them and potentially make them spend one on audit/legal work (that i'm sure they'll try to find some way to pass on to customers). I mean in the end, we all suffer since we either pay more or they defer maintenance to eat the cost. They're certainly not going to take it out of their profit margin.

But it feels like the OTA is an unstoppable beast and that it's all just a matter of dotting some I's and crossing some T's and they'll be right back on the path.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I know its all speculation. I'm no fan of the OTA at all and I welcome a set of eyes making sure they're up to snuff. But does anyone thing this will actually prevent them from doing the new roads? So far, i'm not seeing anything that would do anything other than inconvenience them and potentially make them spend one on audit/legal work (that i'm sure they'll try to find some way to pass on to customers). I mean in the end, we all suffer since we either pay more or they defer maintenance to eat the cost. They're certainly not going to take it out of their profit margin.

But it feels like the OTA is an unstoppable beast and that it's all just a matter of dotting some I's and crossing some T's and they'll be right back on the path.
    it really all comes down to the State Supreme Court decision. even the AG investigation is really just political theater if the Court says that the OTA can move forward. literally everything else that has been said, ruled, etc has all just been minor setbacks to the project.

Anyone driving I-35 around the Purcell, Norman area should be able to see the need for a Norman bypass especially looking towards the future. My opinion but it seems to me most of those complaining the loudest are NIMBY types or left leaning looking to push back against a right leaning state government. Not saying OTA is perfect at all but feel like the Kickapoo South extension is badly needed. Hope the SSC moves forward with this.

All of it is needed. Hopefully the court soon rules in favor so they can get going on these projects. I’m not a blind cheerleader of the OTA I have my criticisms but these are awesome projects. Especially the five stack proposed at I-35.

Quote Originally Posted by macfoucin View Post
    Anyone driving I-35 around the Purcell, Norman area should be able to see the need for a Norman bypass especially looking towards the future. My opinion but it seems to me most of those complaining the loudest are NIMBY types or left leaning looking to push back against a right leaning state government. Not saying OTA is perfect at all but feel like the Kickapoo South extension is badly needed. Hope the SSC moves forward with this.
    I know several of the people in Norman complaining, as you say, and they aren't complaining because they're being political or pushing back against government. They are genuinely upset they are going to lose their homes. That's a legitimate concern for them, so let's not reduce their complaints to political posturing. OTA violated the law when they developed and proceeded to approve these plans and contracts, so it's certainly correct they aren't perfect. If traffic growth is in fact a concern that needs to be addressed, it can be done in a way that is lawful, transparent, and adequately takes into account the personal disruptions likely to be caused.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I know several of the people in Norman complaining, as you say, and they aren't complaining because they're being political or pushing back against government. They are genuinely upset they are going to lose their homes. That's a legitimate concern for them, so let's not reduce their complaints to political posturing. OTA violated the law when they developed and proceeded to approve these plans and contracts, so it's certainly correct they aren't perfect. If traffic growth is in fact a concern that needs to be addressed, it can be done in a way that is lawful, transparent, and adequately takes into account the personal disruptions likely to be caused.
    which they now have done

Quote Originally Posted by macfoucin View Post
    My gripe is the route chosen. They should be going down the east side of Lake Thunderbird to connect up with Highway 9 around the Little Axe area. Keep the cost down by minimizing how much needs to get built. The stair-step pattern of the current plan seems unnecessary.

I do fully agree that a connector between I-35 and I-44 in North Norman or South Moore is needed. Though Indian Hills between I-35 and 77H doesn't need to be a highway.

No. The western route is better as it provides better transport options for Norman as well. Eventually a new freeway will also be needed east of Thunderbird.

Quote Originally Posted by Womp Womp View Post
    Though Indian Hills between I-35 and 77H doesn't need to be a highway.
    i keep hearing people say this, and i just am curious what route these people take to try and cross norman. it can take 40 minutes just to get down robinson from I-35 to 77h and it's like 3 1/4 miles. and Tecumseh keeps getting worse. if there was a fast way to get from 35 over to the east side of norman so alleviate some of that traffic, i think it would be very beneficial for all of norman. maybe those people who are saying that live in moore, and i can't speak for the travel times between 35 and 77h in moore, as i have never driven on those roads.

24. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

I also think this is wrong. Even the west route is too far east IMO. It should be closer to Norman where increased traffic would better pay for any higher costs. After all, isn't the purpose of a highway to carry traffic efficiently?

The further west you go the higher the cost. Wasn't the purpose to divert traffic around Norman, and not through it?

Thread Information