Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    i was previously told by some one at ODOT that it would extend to HW 9 then extend to I35 south of norman
    That sounds to me like it would also become part of the HE Bailey Spur?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    That sounds to me like it would also become part of the HE Bailey Spur?
    that would seem to make sense ...

i hope this plan becomes public sooner rather then later

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    that would seem to make sense ...

i hope this plan becomes public sooner rather then later
    You and me both. Have you heard anything about the inner change at SH 74 and KilPatrick? They said the plan is subject to change an additions so I’m hoping they might consider completing that interchange.

4. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Im a tad lazy to look back but driving down broadway extension yesterday I saw what looks like them clearing out land for a southbound ext to eastbound turnpike ramp. Anyone have anything on this?

Just placing a cloverleaf ramp. Better than nothing but it should be a flyover.

I've been wondering about that construction, it will be nice to finally have the missing ramp at that intersection.

Just placing a cloverleaf ramp. Better than nothing but it should be a flyover.
    What is the traffic count for that maneuver? Maybe it is so low it doesn't justify the cost involved.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    What is the traffic count for that maneuver? Maybe it is so low it doesn't justify the cost involved.
    Oklahoma never has the money. Texas can build 100 stack interchanges and we can’t even build one.

Oklahoma never has the money. Texas can build 100 stack interchanges and we can’t even build one.
    Well, the Turnpike Authority can do what it wants since they are not tied to the state coffers. If they wanted to do a flyover they would, but they are driven by traffic counts not solely desires. Now, not to say it wasn't weird to not have a ramp there to begin with -- and same with not having flyovers to WB JKT over at SH74 -- all that is strange. But they will cite that they will only sell bonds to build what "is needed" and they just take that a little more seriously to the penny. LOL. Also, if you notice Texas is building more and more turnpikes and keeps expanding the one's they have. I know a lot of people have problems with turnpikes (not saying you do, rather in general), but I really like them as they usually are a better facility to drive on that state-maintained highways.

10. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Texas is under $32 billion in transportation debt.

Its probably easier for turnpike authority to justify replacing a dangerous cloverleaf 10 to 20 years down the road than to build a flyover for a ramp that is safe because it is non-existant. Thats kind of like stoplights at interchanges that don't exist yet. Usually start off with stop signs.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Texas is under $32 billion in transportation debt.
    Debt isn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    Debt isn't bad.
    Yeah that out of context statement is often made when Texas transportation funds are brought up but there’s more to the story than that. Texas is not in any way shape or form in a bad position they’re faring much better than us and they have way better roads than we do.

Took me a long time to find the OTA meeting replays but finally found the 12/7/21 meeting at https://video.ibm.com/recorded/131199756. Tim Gatz speaks about the need for the South metro connections starting around 2:17:30 into the video. Among other things he discusses the need to add a I-35 turnpike connection crossing the South Canadian River around Purcell. I believe this would be the Kickapoo extension to I-35. This is also discussed in the Purcell Register at http://purcellregister.com/stories/t...ell-area,34520.

15. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    Debt isn't bad.
    At 0-2% interest, it's not at all. I'm simply pointing out one major reason for how Texas can pay for such colossal roadbuilding projects. Some states use toll roads, others use debt. Either way, someone pays for it either through taxes or through tolls.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    At 0-2% interest, it's not at all. I'm simply pointing out one major reason for how Texas can pay for such colossal roadbuilding projects. Some states use toll roads, others use debt. Either way, someone pays for it either through taxes or through tolls.
    ODOT seems to be able to take out debt if it is authorized by the legislature. So how does TxDOT do it? Are they authorized to take out unlimited debt? I am trying to understand how they can take out debt. Oklahoma needs to just authorize ODOT to take out debt without legislative actions all the time.

17. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

https://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdo...ochure2020.pdf

See if this works and go to page 8. It's interesting reading all the way and shows how they do all their transportation funding.

I doubt the state constitution allows the dept. to indebt the state without leg. approval.

Thanks for the link. I will give it a read later tonight.

OTA updated their 5 yr plan into 2026. Not much in this plan but worth a post nonetheless.

https://oklahoma.gov/content/dam/ok/...tal%20Plan.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by macfoucin View Post
    Took me a long time to find the OTA meeting replays but finally found the 12/7/21 meeting at https://video.ibm.com/recorded/131199756. Tim Gatz speaks about the need for the South metro connections starting around 2:17:30 into the video. Among other things he discusses the need to add a I-35 turnpike connection crossing the South Canadian River around Purcell. I believe this would be the Kickapoo extension to I-35. This is also discussed in the Purcell Register at http://purcellregister.com/stories/t...ell-area,34520.
    Great finds. Thank you

Around Purcell is an interesting place to connect in, maybe redo the interchange right north of the city where Green Ave hooks in with I-35? That'll be a pretty long stretch of new highway, probably 1.5-2 times the length of the Kickapoo so far. It's definitely the missing piece that causes that turnpike make more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Around Purcell is an interesting place to connect in, maybe redo the interchange right north of the city where Green Ave hooks in with I-35? That'll be a pretty long stretch of new highway, probably 1.5-2 times the length of the Kickapoo so far. It's definitely the missing piece that causes that turnpike make more sense.

I’m sure it will be an all new interchange

Kickapoo Turnpike going cashless in a few days:

https://kfor.com/news/local/kickapoo...hless-tolling/

Built those extra cash lanes just to close them off a few months later.............

Kickapoo should have been the first cashless turnpike. Its not like the technology didn't exist yet when they started construction on it.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Built those extra cash lanes just to close them off a few months later.............

Kickapoo should have been the first cashless turnpike. Its not like the technology didn't exist yet when they started construction on it.
    An absolute waste!

Thread Information