Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I really appreciate all your ODOT and OTA updates. I find their capital project 'information' nearly impossible to decipher. ODOT's website might be as bad as the one for OESC.
    It is something I enjoy doing. Though I will say I don’t fully understand what OTAs plans exactly are. Perhaps they are just laying the framework with this money.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Some good news and bad news.

Good news is they have been updating their website regarding capital projects on their current and planned projects as well as their five year plan.

Bad new and I’m really bummed about this one is they had planned to build out the entire interchange at SH-74 and Kilpatrick but now those plans have been removed. My guess is it was much more expensive then previously planned.

The OTA has also planned a partial flyover interchange at I-40 with the Kilpatrick extension but that project was scaled back as well. I only hope once they finish the current projects we will see more interchange modernizations for the Oklahoma Turnpikes.
    Anything about 235/KTP enhancement? Once 235/44 is done in one year there will be long jams going northbound 235 to westbound KTP. With no logjam at 44/235 means all that traffic rushes north faster. But then have to compete with a merge lane plus the ramp itself is only 1 lane and is for both KTP east and west. Then east branches off and west is one lane flyover. They need to do a far left lane flyover (N235 to WKTP). As is traffic will likely back up to Hefner or more south of KTP once current 44/235 work is done

^^^^ I don’t think we’ll see major traffic problems at the JKT/235 interchange for awhile but I do agree this interchange needs a major upgrade. It would be nice to see the frontage roads built through it as well but that would require a complete rework of the existing flyovers.

Unfortunately very little work is planned for the JKT but the OTA has surprise projects that pop up so maybe we’ll a get a present soon. BoulderSooner seems to be more in the know about the OTAs plans.

I agree about current traffic its really amazing to go thru work zone at posted speed of 45 both ways. But once people get back to work about the time current project is done we’ll see those backups up there. One way around it is going 44e to 35n to KTPw but it adds 6-7 miles. The issue is not just backups, but backups breed wrecks.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    Anything about 235/KTP enhancement? Once 235/44 is done in one year there will be long jams going northbound 235 to westbound KTP. With no logjam at 44/235 means all that traffic rushes north faster. But then have to compete with a merge lane plus the ramp itself is only 1 lane and is for both KTP east and west. Then east branches off and west is one lane flyover. They need to do a far left lane flyover (N235 to WKTP). As is traffic will likely back up to Hefner or more south of KTP once current 44/235 work is done
    One thing that would make a huge difference is closing the on-ramp to 235 from 122 St. That on-ramp that close the major interchange is just stupid and leads to tremendous slowdowns. And this isn't the only area where there are on-ramps too close to interchanges (I-40/44 and Agnew Ave is another prominent one).

One thing that would make a huge difference is closing the on-ramp to 235 from 122 St. That on-ramp that close the major interchange is just stupid and leads to tremendous slowdowns. And this isn't the only area where there are on-ramps too close to interchanges (I-40/44 and Agnew Ave is another prominent one).
    Or they could braid it which most major cities do now but that isn’t cheap.

Agree. Ramp traffic is not up to speed due to bend in the ramp, and you have 60+ wanting to exit with 40 trying to merge on and get over to avoid TP exit.

HangryHippo Guest

Isn't this what San Antonio did with Loop 410 by the airport?

What is braid? Like a flyover lane?

A braided ramp is where the exit lane crosses over or under the entrance lane. If you look at SB Broadway Extension at 63rd, you will see an excellent example of a braid. SB 235 to WB 44 crosses over the SB on ramp from 63rd.

Closing the NB on ramp from 122nd will never happen. Too much industry west of Broadway Ext that heavily uses that ramp. Piss poor design needs to be completely rebuilt. I would guess it would take $75-80 million for both, which means it ain't happening soon.

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    A braided ramp is where the exit lane crosses over or under the entrance lane. If you look at SB Broadway Extension at 63rd, you will see an excellent example of a braid. SB 235 to WB 44 crosses over the SB on ramp from 63rd.

Closing the NB on ramp from 122nd will never happen. Too much industry west of Broadway Ext that heavily uses that ramp. Piss poor design needs to be completely rebuilt. I would guess it would take $75-80 million for both, which means it ain't happening soon.
    Ok thanks. Even better is make a flyover ramp from the far left lane. But that would mean no TP entrance from the 122 on ramp there would not be room to scoot over all lanes and make the ramp.

Rt. 66man describes it better than I could have. But here is a video for any further clarification:

We have a couple in the metro now one at the new I-235/44 interchange and one or two in Norman. I’m sure if there are any others.

I’m still trying to figure out why folks refer to the intersection of the Kilpatrick Turnpike and 77/Broadway Extension, as JKT& 235. This is not the first place I’ve heard that. The northern terminus of 235 is at I-44..... 5 miles south of the JKT.

Our shop is located west of the Broadway Extension in the area of the JKT and 122nd. We’ve had people come through looking for the Kilpatrick & I-235. I have to ask them where they got their Information because those roads do not intersect.

Are there any plans to officially designate the full run from JKT as I-235?.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    I’m still trying to figure out why folks refer to the intersection of the Kilpatrick Turnpike and 77/Broadway Extension, as JKT& 235. This is not the first place I’ve heard that. The northern terminus of 235 is at I-44..... 5 miles south of the JKT.

Our shop is located west of the Broadway Extension in the area of the JKT and 122nd. We’ve had people come through looking for the Kilpatrick & I-235. I have to ask them where they got their Information because those roads do not intersect.

Are there any plans to officially designate the full run from JKT as I-235?.
    It’s the same road and might as well be called that. It just is not signed.

IMO, we should remove tolls on the portion of the Kilpatrick from SH-74 to I-35 and sign that as I-44 and route I-44 down SH-74/Hefner Parkway will it will eventually reconnect with itself. I-235 should be signed up to Kilpatrick.

15. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

To get an Interstate designation, a road has to meet a certain set of design standards and pass through an approval process by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) and the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA). It's a somewhat big deal because being an interstate also automatically qualifies a road for national highway funding. Before the 90s it was an even bigger deal since there was special maintenance funding which could only be spent on Interstates.

North of I-44, the Broadway Extension is US-77. I am not sure whether it qualifies for national funding, but I would suspect so, since most freeways do. If ODOT wanted to submit it as an extension to I-235, I imagine it would pass. They just have never done so.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott5114 View Post
    To get an Interstate designation, a road has to meet a certain set of design standards and pass through an approval process by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) and the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA). It's a somewhat big deal because being an interstate also automatically qualifies a road for national highway funding. Before the 90s it was an even bigger deal since there was special maintenance funding which could only be spent on Interstates.

North of I-44, the Broadway Extension is US-77. I am not sure whether it qualifies for national funding, but I would suspect so, since most freeways do. If ODOT wanted to submit it as an extension to I-235, I imagine it would pass. They just have never done so.
    US77 seems like a designation Oklahoma uses for business routes or a secondary highway that runs parallel to i35, you see it in Guthrie, Norman, Purcell, Paul's valley, Wynnewood, Davis ardmore, Marietta thackerville to name the towns I'm familiar with, just like route 66 runs with 40 and 44

I'm old enough to remember the construction of 235, as it significantly shortened my dad's commute to work from Britton road to over by the old Paris flea market

17. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Quote Originally Posted by JDSooners View Post
    US77 seems like a designation Oklahoma uses for business routes or a secondary highway that runs parallel to i35, you see it in Guthrie, Norman, Purcell, Paul's valley, Wynnewood, Davis ardmore, Marietta thackerville to name the towns I'm familiar with, just like route 66 runs with 40 and 44
    This was actually negotiated with the towns south of Norman when I-35 was built through the area. They were afraid that the new highway would be too far away from them and cut them off from traffic. They got the state to intervene on their behalf, and Governor Bellmon threatened the Bureau of Public Roads that he'd build a turnpike instead of I-35 if the route was too far from the existing one. The Legislature went a step further and passed a law saying state money couldn't be spent on I-35 through southern Oklahoma if it were more than one mile away from US-77.

I am not exactly sure where BPR intended to send I-35, if not down the US-77 corridor. In most other situations they preferred to route interstates down existing US routes and just bypass the towns. This was done with I-40 west of Oklahoma City; much of it is actually built on top of the old US-66 roadbed.

Blog Entries

Are five major turnpikes an obstacle to Tulsa's area growth.

Cimarron Turnpike: Length: 59.2 miles

The Cimarron Turnpike is a toll road in north-central Oklahoma. The route travels 67 miles, from an interchange with Interstate 35 north of Perry, to Westport, just west of Tulsa.

Creek Turnpike: Length: 33.22 miles

The Creek Turnpike, also designated State Highway 364, is a 33.22-mile-long freeway-standard toll road that lies entirely in the U.S. state of Oklahoma. The turnpike forms a partial beltway around the south and east sides of Tulsa.

Muskogee Turnpike: Length: 53.1 miles

The Muskogee Turnpike, also designated State Highway 351, is a toll road in eastern Oklahoma ends in Broken Arrow.

Turner Turnpike: Length: 86.5 miles

The Turner Turnpike is a toll road in central Oklahoma, connecting its two largest cities, Oklahoma City and Tulsa. Authorized by the Oklahoma Legislature in 1947 and opened in May 1953, it is the oldest of the state's ten turnpikes.

Will Rogers Turnpike: Length 88.5 miles

The Will Rogers Turnpike is a freeway-standard toll road in the northeast portion of the U.S. state of Oklahoma. The highway begins as a continuation of the Creek Turnpike in Tulsa, continuing northward from the I-44/US-412 interchange there to the Missouri state line west of Joplin, Missouri. The turnpike carries the I-44 designation for its entire length.

Could the State provide some relief to Tulsa's turnpike saga...

OTA needs to invest majorly in Pay by Plate. I bring cash with me when driving in Oklahoma but there is no signage - you pull up to a toll booth and have no idea if it will be manned or not. I had to run 2 toll booths in Tulsa last week because the bill changers were out of service. So frustrating and I am sure I will receive a hefty fine. There’s just no way to know what you will owe until you are already on the turnpike and no idea if the toll booths will be manned or even work.

20. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

I've had that problem, too. The state needs to go the way of most states and use photo bills. I may be saying the same as you.

Blog Entries

Contact OTA, tell them what happened. Be prepared to give them your tag number, turnpike you were on, time and information like insurance and registration.

This happened to me years ago (2000s) on the Kilpatrick Turnpike after they added the extension. After explaining my situation to them; they gave me instruction on paying the toll. There were some fees, however at the time, I was able to avoid a fine.

IIRC they sent me some forms to fill out.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    OTA needs to invest majorly in Pay by Plate. I bring cash with me when driving in Oklahoma but there is no signage - you pull up to a toll booth and have no idea if it will be manned or not. I had to run 2 toll booths in Tulsa last week because the bill changers were out of service. So frustrating and I am sure I will receive a hefty fine. There’s just no way to know what you will owe until you are already on the turnpike and no idea if the toll booths will be manned or even work.
    PikePass is one thing that OTA got right. It is ridiculously easy to set up. And wouldn't pay by plate require everyone to buy a new license plate? Or are you just talking they send you a bill monthly based on your plate #?

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    PikePass is one thing that OTA got right. It is ridiculously easy to set up. And wouldn't pay by plate require everyone to buy a new license plate? Or are you just talking they send you a bill monthly based on your plate #?
    In Colorado you just drive on the toll way. If you are registered with the toll operator they charge you a lower rate, if not they send you a bill at the end of the month. No stopping, no carrying coins, no hoping the booths are attended. I was in a rental car so no pikepass.

Pay by plate is something OTA is slowly working towards. Part of the reason for the tag registration changes is to support OTA in this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Pay by plate is something OTA is slowly working towards. Part of the reason for the tag registration changes is to support OTA in this.
    Is there more to Pay by Plate in Oklahoma than just the Jenks exit on the Creek Turnpike?

Thread Information