Widgets Magazine
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

if they dont' want to play ball with the state .. .then a stop and ticket policy for all of those tags on turnpikes should be put into effect ..

That's a mess OTA/OHP wouldn't want to get into even if they had the legal authority to do that. Another issue is vehicles hauling trailers. Those plates are often blocked. I suspect Oklahoma will adopt front plates specialfically for this reason.

Duplicate
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13573899-1426104484897.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	18225  

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    That's a mess OTA/OHP wouldn't want to get into even if they had the legal authority to do that. Another issue is vehicles hauling trailers. Those plates are often blocked. I suspect Oklahoma will adopt front plates specialfically for this reason.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13573899-1426104484897.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	18225

https://www.cars.com/articles/which-...1420663046939/

Kansas is in the process of moving to Plate Pay as well. Although their toll roads aren’t nearly prolific as they are here.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrenogolf View Post
    Kansas is in the process of moving to Plate Pay as well. Although their toll roads aren’t nearly prolific as they are here.
    Kansas was smart. They have ONE turnpike and it hits Wichita, Emporia, Topeka (Capitol City), and the Kansas side of the Kansas City Metro. Oklahoma basically has this with the HE Bailey, Turner, and Will Rogers that connected Lawton, OKC, Tulsa, and ends just before Joplin. However, I think the rural turnpikes bring down the progress that could be made on the metro turnpikes and heavily traveled I-44 turnpikes.

I would assume the KTA has a much easier time maintaining one turnpike and it is traveled well enough to continuously maintain the roadway with revenue.

https://oklahoma.gov/content/dam/ok/...nualReport.pdf - Page 88 is the breakdown of Oklahoma revenue by turnpike.

For example, in 2021 the Kilpatrick brought in roughly 5 times the revenue as the Cherokee Turnpike and both are about 30 miles in total length.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Kansas was smart. They have ONE turnpike and it hits Wichita, Emporia, Topeka (Capitol City), and the Kansas side of the Kansas City Metro. Oklahoma basically has this with the HE Bailey, Turner, and Will Rogers that connected Lawton, OKC, Tulsa, and ends just before Joplin. However, I think the rural turnpikes bring down the progress that could be made on the metro turnpikes and heavily traveled I-44 turnpikes.

I would assume the KTA has a much easier time maintaining one turnpike and it is traveled well enough to continuously maintain the roadway with revenue.

https://oklahoma.gov/content/dam/ok/...nualReport.pdf - Page 88 is the breakdown of Oklahoma revenue by turnpike.

For example, in 2021 the Kilpatrick brought in roughly 5 times the revenue as the Cherokee Turnpike and both are about 30 miles in total length.
    That's true, but it's also true for non turnpike roads. The cities are always going to be subsidizing the rural roads. But you need the rural roads to literally help feed the city.

I would be willing to bet $1 the 3rd lane on l-35 from OKC to the Texas line ends up as a toll road.

I've turned into quite the fan of Mileage Mike. Here is a informative and thorough breakdown of the toll landscape of Oklahoma, including history and some of its absurdity...

https://youtu.be/EWxxj-DFtt8?si=OVilGBURchc-8i5E

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
    I've turned into quite the fan of Mileage Mike. Here is a informative and thorough breakdown of the toll landscape of Oklahoma, including history and some of its absurdity...

https://youtu.be/EWxxj-DFtt8?si=OVilGBURchc-8i5E
    While he did some evaluation, it seems was more just an engineering evaluation, and did not even notice how much is politically motivated. At least the last two rounds of expansion approvals read like a political compromises, which is the only two rounds I have been old enough to witness, and it sounds like probably goes back to the first route. On top of which there have been multiple eras where OTA and ODOT executives are the same person, and are often building basically what ODOT would done if they had more funds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingoat View Post
    I would be willing to bet $1 the 3rd lane on l-35 from OKC to the Texas line ends up as a toll road.
    That's the only way they're gonna be able to fund it in the time frame they want to get it done.

Just goes to show that you ca⁸n fight "City Hall". OTA to pay over 2 million in property compensatipn.
    https://kfor.com/news/jury-awards-ok...apoo-turnpike/

This similar to the Cusack meets parking lot that takes up a chuck of Scissortail Park. Its important for their trucks to turn around or something like that, so it lowers value from the main building. This is a special case so I wouldn't expect widespread rulings against OTA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Just goes to show that you ca⁸n fight "City Hall". OTA to pay over 2 million in property compensatipn.
    https://kfor.com/news/jury-awards-ok...apoo-turnpike/
    the OTA should 100% appeal this and drag it out to the last mile they can ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the OTA should 100% appeal this and drag it out to the last mile they can ..
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Martin View Post
    Why?
    Probably bc if they go ahead with overpaying for the property (by everyone's standards except the homeowner) what is to stop the next one? The next 100 from doing the same thing which only drives up the cost for the taxpayers.

I fully believe homeowners should be justly compensated anytime this happens but going well above even the highest estimates is too much.

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    Probably bc if they go ahead with overpaying for the property (by everyone's standards except the homeowner) what is to stop the next one? The next 100 from doing the same thing which only drives up the cost for the taxpayers.

I fully believe homeowners should be justly compensated anytime this happens but going well above even the highest estimates is too much.
    exactly correct ..

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post

Except a jury awarded this to them, so they were justly compensated...

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Maybe, that's for the appeals process to determine. Its no secret that OTA is not liked by most of the population.

A jury isn't made up of experts. They are made up of human beings, very likely not experts in any way, shape or form.

So they aren't a fair way to say that the party isn't getting above any beyond.

their own expert said the property was worth $1.9... they got awarded $2.9...

A jury who inflated the value for emotional reasons and not based on any expert opinion. The plaintiffs own expert valued it at 1.9 yet somehow they got 2.9?

24. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

I've been on both juries and attorney run faux juries. People throw $ amounts around withput any consideration for true value. If they have a stick-it-to-the-man attitude, these inflated amounts happen. Since l wasn't at the trial, there could be reasons this "punative" amount was awarded.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I've been on both juries and attorney run faux juries. People throw $ amounts around withput any consideration for true value. If they have a stick-it-to-the-man attitude, these inflated amounts happen. Since l wasn't at the trial, there could be reasons this "punative" amount was awarded.
    I don't believe punitive damages are available against the state.

What's really at issue in a condemnation case from the lawyer's point of view is you're trying to get 10% above the commissioners' award. These aren't usually contingency cases. The attorneys will have lots of hours, probably at the highest $/hour they can justify tied up in this thing. If they get 10% above the commissioners' award, the state pays those attorneys fees.

A jury verdict can be set aside if it's against the clear weight of the evidence. Even the trial judge has discretion to do something like that. I'm sure, without doing research, that there are cases on point here and that the courts will already have some pretty clear case law directing everyone on what's going to happen.

That said, I'm sure OTA had a numbe thrown at them for a settlement and they rejected it. They had to have thought they could get a better deal from the jury and they too chose to roll the dice. Everyone is just assuming here that it was the landowners who were being unreasonable. Having dealt with adjusters and insurance companies, trust me, they can be oftentimes even more unreasonable than the plaintiffs or defendants.

Thread Information