Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: OKC Public Schools

Default Re: OKC Public Schools

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    My partner works for MPS and he and all of his coworkers think very highly of Dr. McDaniel, AFAIK. *shrug*
    I'm not saying there aren't those that like him, but of the 10 or 12 MPS employees I know, I can think of one that doesn't dislike him. The biggest complaint is his focus on spending money, and not on the right things. I don't personally work there so all I have is second hand opinion. All I know is my mom text me on Monday when it was announced to them and said she was so excited he was gone. There has to be some truth to her feelings, because 2 of OKC's board members voted against him saying he was the wrong direction. No one's perfect I get that, but I hope for the sake of OKCPS that he does well and proves people wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    Thanks for posting this! I work at U.S. Grant and I didn't know this article was being published.

4. Default Re: OKC Public Schools

Are schools in Ok like Texas where they have to be funded equally/student?

The complaint about changing the school name is odd. Federal lawsuit and demanding resignations. My recommendation is for the school board member to focus on priorities that matter like trying to have a superintendent stick around for more than a year or the quality of education. The current superintendent is about as good as the district will get and hopefully the school board will not ruin the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Are schools in Ok like Texas where they have to be funded equally/student?
    State funding is equal per student.

But the schools also receive property tax directly from within their district boundaries, and that varies greatly by district.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    The complaint about changing the school name is odd. Federal lawsuit and demanding resignations. My recommendation is for the school board member to focus on priorities that matter like trying to have a superintendent stick around for more than a year or the quality of education. The current superintendent is about as good as the district will get and hopefully the school board will not ruin the opportunity.
    Yeah - they have a superintendent that seems to really care about the students and is working to make things so much better and this board member is going off the rails. I don't understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    Is there an article available with the details?

Thanks! Also, that was not the context for school renaming drama that I expected, I figured it would be one of those confederate general named schools situations and I just hadn't heard about it.

I am still surprised they didn't go with a compromise name like "Northeast Classen SAS." Everyone would have been satisfied. Seems like they are being wierdly stubborn about not throwing the NE side a bone in this one.

That said, the insanity of that one board member is not helping their cause.

On an unrelated note: the P2G is causing chaos at my kids' schools but I am impressed by how up-front and pro-active the principals are in ironing things back out. My daughter's elementary class started with 31 students enrolled. Way too many. I think way more kids showed up than the P2G people had predicted. But by day 4 they had found a new teacher and a new classroom and re-allocated the students to knock the class sizes back down.

The problem is the Superintendent proposed this as a merger instead of a take over. If they would have just said NE is closing and followed up a few weeks later with a statement to say CSAS is moving in we wouldn't be here. The board tried to please everyone by saying it's a merger but only made matters worse.

Well, there goes the last of my schools - Luther Burbank Elementary, Longfellow 5th Grade Center, Hoover Middle, and now Northeast High are no more (at least under those names)...

Not good.

Blog Entries

While I live in OKC I am in Moore School District so I was suprised to receive a mailer from OKC Public Schools touting their improvments and centralized transfer process as well as an invite to join OKCPS. I appreciate their confidence but I can't imagine people wanting to transfer to OKCPS. I am curioius as to which school districts they are targeting. Anyone from another school district receive the mailing?

While I live in OKC I am in Moore School District so I was suprised to receive a mailer from OKC Public Schools touting their improvments and centralized transfer process as well as an invite to join OKCPS. I appreciate their confidence but I can't imagine people wanting to transfer to OKCPS. I am curioius as to which school districts they are targeting. Anyone from another school district receive the mailing?
    Western Heights School district seems to be having some issues and is close to the sw area of OKC that would be in Moore Schools (We are SW OKC and my kid would be at WestMoore if we didn't have him at the Mount). That would be my purely speculative guess.

OKCPS is actively promoting its magnet schools and trying to lure families away from some of the high-performing charters. Even to the point of now disallowing recruitment from the Enterprise School, Belle Isle, which fed a lot of students to the Hardings. And really, I can't blame them. They're fighting for the same pie as everyone else. As a parent, I'd be pretty skeptical though.

Blog Entries

Charter schools (in-person learning) don't have to deal with curriculum for special needs pupils, High Challenged once known as Special Education which has so many categories (LD, ED, EMH, Hearing impaired, Sight loss....)

Students have an IEP (Individualize Education Plan/Program) which could be adjusted through the IEP with educators on the student's IEP team. These students have to be taught through Individualized learning/teaching programs. That's why a per pupil teacher ratio will not exceed 10 pupils maximum--preferably 6- 8 students per teacher.

These students can not technically be suspended from school. Often parents are asked to voluntarily keep them at home on a time-out program; this is written into the IEP. Students with severe mental disabilities are often taught at home or off campus; this often comes at the school district's expense. Now as to how many students are placed on these types of at-home/off campus teaching programs depends mainly on how large the district is, also the social economic levels of an area.

Much of this changes as laws are enacted...

Blog Entries

Get involved in your child's education. School visitations, Open house, classroom visitations...

Teachers are also encouraged to reinforce good behavior of students like giving parents a courtesy call explaining the 'good behavior' of particular students. This goes a long ways with parents.

Schools can be dramatically impacted if there is a partnership approach to the education of our students.

Good parenting skills help put a 'good student' seal of approval on shaping the reputation of your school. You (The Parent) is responsible for the education of your son/daughter. interact with your child, knowledge of what they are learning and being taught can't be underestimated.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Western Heights School district seems to be having some issues and is close to the sw area of OKC that would be in Moore Schools (We are SW OKC and my kid would be at WestMoore if we didn't have him at the Mount). That would be my purely speculative guess.
    Will never forget the very first time I won anything. A turkey from Mount Saint Mary's in a raffle. Went to P/U the bird, a 'Nun' took me to an area I thought contained a freezer--instead, she produced a 'live bird,' damn thing' almost beat me to death riding in the back seat of my car. Will never forget that turkey...

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Charter schools (in-person learning) don't have to deal with curriculum for special needs pupils, High Challenged once known as Special Education which has so many categories (LD, ED, EMH, Hearing impaired, Sight loss....)
    That's just false. Charters are public schools which are not allowed to discriminate. One can only enroll by being selected in a lottery or on a first come/first serve basis. Charters absolutely have to provide IEP programs. Now, are you going to have a profound/non-verbal spectrum student apply to a college preparatory charter school? Probably not. See Title 70, section 3- 136(7) of the Oklahoma Statutes. Link provided.

https://www.oscn.net/applications/os...?CiteID=104637

25. Default Re: OKC Public Schools

by-law and by-practice are oftentimes mutually exclusive.

while it may be illegal for prep schools to discriminate against IEP they do ask if the child is IN ONE; that alone can provide a subjective opinion as to why the child may not succeed in an accelerated program whereas in reality the child may just have a "behavioral" problem that they don't want to deal with. ...

reality does not often meet ideology.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information