Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: OKC Public Schools

Default Re: OKC Public Schools

Quote Originally Posted by krisb View Post
    The others seem to be jaded and burnt out and were ineffective teachers before he arrived.
    I'm amazed by any teacher who has taught in the district for more than 3 years and isn't jaded.

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    To be fair, a lot of the issues with the perceived need for changes to suspensions came from the OCR (Office for Civil Rights). They cracked down nationwide on the racial disparities and urged large, urban districts to review and revise their policies in an attempt to fix the problem. So whatever Neu did (right or wrong...I have no personal opinion of him) was likely to have been responsive to the OCR.
    I'm sure that this was the case, but it's typical of bureaucracies in general to force a "one size fits all" solution to a perceived problem, with no concern at all as to its effect in any individual situation.

I'm reminded of the way that Microsoft solved their problem of frequent error messages at the release of Windows 95: They changed the title of the message, then trumpeted that the old one was gone. The errors continued to plague users, but with a new name -- the only thing that had changed!

The suspension problem was similar. Setting a no-suspension policy certainly solved the problem of too many suspensions, but actually made the classroom-discipline problem worse. I have no simple solution to the discipline problem; the OKC Independent School District has been, in general, a failure for at least 55 years to my personal knowledge and problems become institutionalized in far less time than that. While it's always had dedicated teachers -- they're the only reason it's remained at all viable -- I can't say the same for its top administrators, or its governing board. They complain about lack of parental involvement, yet when parents attempt to participate, they're shunted aside and their concerns dismissed. Many of us found that the only way to fight the problem was with our hats: take them and run to a better environment. And this left the inner city system heavily unbalanced with the apathetic and indifferent.

I caught the end of the meeting when the board went out of executive session via the live feed on newsok. The board president said Rob Nue is out of the office and the associate superintendent will assume responsibilities. They still have to discuss his employment...this is after 5 hours in executive session from 5:30 to 10:30. Being out of the office is an interesting term.

LIVE: Special Oklahoma City school board meeting to consider superintendent's future | NewsOK.com

^^^ "Out of the office." Now that's a term we often hear when someone has just stepped out to lunch, or tending to company business, or perhaps running an errand. In all these cases the salary continues. Speculation, yes, but I personally attach this term to still being on the payroll. I can only hope that someday I can be paid not to come to work, particularly at the highest-salary slot in the organization.

Looks like Aurora Lora the Ass Superintendent is gunning for the job with a listening tour. Acting OKC superintendent seeks stability for the district | NewsOK.com

I looked her up and she is a school jumper too, moving on to the next best thing. She left West Seattle Schools in 2012 to go to Dallas. West Seattle Blog? | West Seattle schools: Aurora Lora leaving the district

She left Dallas in 2014 to go to OKC. Assistant superintendent Aurora Lora is leaving Dallas ISD | | Dallas Morning News

So did he just not show up for work one day?

As per usual, I am dissapointed in our local media for failing to give us ANY information about why Neu was fired (quit?). I know most involved cannot speak on the record, but for goodness sake get someone to provide some color even if anonymously.

Does anyone have any insight into what the hell happened with Neu? Was it the charter thing that blew him up?

Acting Superintendent Aurora Lors worked two years with required certification. Also one of the positions Lora recommended to eliminate due to budget cuts is the one she currently holds.

What is going at OKC Schools?

http://newsok.com/article/5504109

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    What is going at OKC Schools?
    Looks like business as usual.

It seems a pay raise for OKCPS employees is on the board agenda tonight. No details yet.

Blog Entries

I think I saw that it passed?

It passed for most people but a small group of employees' pay (maybe central service) raise was rejected. The raises are also retroactive back to the beginning of the work year, which is sometime last summer. Certified people basically got a step raise, which for some is just a few hundred dollars and for others, a few thousand.

Saw this on Facebook:

"Oklahoma City Public Schools announced they will be one of only a handful of school districts in the country to participate in this weekend's gay pride celebration. The district will take one of their buses on the parade route this Sunday."

I applaud OKCPS and think it puts forward a positive, progressive image for the city overall. I'm pleasantly surprised that a majority of Facebook reactions also support this.

Quote Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
    Saw this on Facebook:

"Oklahoma City Public Schools announced they will be one of only a handful of school districts in the country to participate in this weekend's gay pride celebration. The district will take one of their buses on the parade route this Sunday."

I applaud OKCPS and think it puts forward a positive, progressive image for the city overall. I'm pleasantly surprised that a majority of Facebook reactions also support this.
    It doesn't really matter what your personal beliefs are, but once you're a teacher, it's just really your obligation to support your students, particularly those who are bullied or marginalized. LGBTQ students are one of the most bullied groups in schools and showing visible support can help students overcome barriers that can deter them academically. As a teacher, I always let every single student know that I had their back and that meant to showing up Gay-Straight Alliance meetings, talking to them about their dirt bike racing, or attending a Vietnamese cultural event. A lot of people politicize these issues, but educators should put their views aside and just support all students. Good for OKCPS.

Blog Entries

Dan,

you're a true to your heart teacher. Keep up the good work.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    It doesn't really matter what your personal beliefs are, but once you're a teacher, it's just really your obligation to support your students, particularly those who are bullied or marginalized. LGBTQ students are one of the most bullied groups in schools and showing visible support can help students overcome barriers that can deter them academically. As a teacher, I always let every single student know that I had their back and that meant to showing up Gay-Straight Alliance meetings, talking to them about their dirt bike racing, or attending a Vietnamese cultural event. A lot of people politicize these issues, but educators should put their views aside and just support all students. Good for OKCPS.
    Outstanding post Dan.

I wish you were my teacher in highschool.

We need more teachers like you.

I'm really impressed with OKCPS for doing this. I think I heard it was one of only 5 districts nationwide to do this. Paula Lewis seems to have spearheaded this but nonetheless it was approved unanimously. One of the few times I can say I'm proud of a progressive decision the city has made. Some of the comments on the News 9 Facebook post, on the other hand...

thanks for being an educator, we need more like you! I had some great teachers in my life who really made an impact on me, however I was not an out gay teen I didn't come out till 21. Kids keep coming out younger and younger and I think of how hard it must be as I can't imagine it myself. Then I see posts like this that make me smile. Thank you!

Ben Felder just reported that superintendent Aurora Lora has resigned:

https://twitter.com/benfelder_okc/st...16241907073024

Holy cow.

Lora only officially took over that position in July 2016.

OKCPS has had 14 superintendents in the last 30 years.

Thread Information