Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baker Hughes to bring 475 new jobs to OKC

Default Baker Hughes to bring 475 new jobs to OKC

On the agenda for next week's meeting of the Economic Development Trust, there is a resolution to approve $850,000 in job incentive funds to Baker Hughes Oilfield Operations.

They will be adding 475 jobs over the next five years and building a new facility on the SW corner of the Kilpatrick Turnpike and Broadway Extension.

All of the following is from the EDT agenda:

Background
    The Company plans to add 475 new jobs in Oklahoma City over the next five (5) years. These jobs include new manufacturing jobs and other onsite jobs that will support its oil field service operations in the region. The average first year wage for these new jobs is estimated to be $51,660.
    Baker Hughes is in need of expanding its manufacturing capacity for its Artificial Lift Systems (“ALS”) group and desires to invest in a state-ofthe-
    art manufacturing facility using high tech robotics to manufacture motors used in the oil and gas services industry. Making these investments in Oklahoma City would bring manufacturing jobs back to the United States. Baker has an existing manufacturing facility located in Oklahoma City with 48 employees. The construction of these two new manufacturing facilities will bring an additional 250 ALS manufacturing jobs and 125 motor manufacturing jobs to the state. This, along with the 100 on-site support jobs represents a total of 475 new quality jobs to Oklahoma City over the next 5 years.

Company Background
    Baker Hughes Incorporated was formed in 1987 with the merger of Baker International and Hughes Tool Company. Baker Hughes Incorporated creates value from oil and gas reservoirs with high-performance drilling, evaluation, completions and production technology services, integrated operations and reservoir consulting. Its solutions are designed to lower costs, reduce risk or improve productivity for the global oil and gas industry. The company is headquartered in Houston, Texas and has offices in throughout the United Sates. In 2012, Baker Hughes Incorporated generated revenues of $21.36 billion. Baker Hughes Incorporated has over 58,800 employees in more than 80 countries. This project is being undertaken by both Baker Hughes Oilfield Operations, Inc. (“BHOO”) and Baker Petrolite Corporation (“BPC”), both of which are subsidiaries of Baker Hughes Incorporated and will employee employees associated with this project.

Project Background
    The Greater Oklahoma City Chamber and the City have worked with the Company since the middle of October, 2013. In evaluating its location
    options for these new manufacturing facilities, Company management met with City and Chamber staff to discuss the needs of their planned operation. Based in part upon local incentives (city and state), the company has decided to locate this operation in Oklahoma City.

Economic Impact
    The total estimated economic impact of this project is $299.6 million over the first four year period (based on total project impact, including capital investment, wages, state and local taxes). The estimated local sales tax and property tax revenue is expected to be $549,749 over the first four year period and $250,294 annually from the 5th year forward.

Default Re: Baker Hughes to bring 475 new jobs to OKC

Awesome

More good paying jobs is great news.

Great news!

Between this and the GE center OKC could see itself becoming a hub for oilfield artificial lift technologies. It is a niche business, but still it is nice to be a niche in something!

It's not well understood by very many people in our area but Oil & NG manufacturing has been big business in our area for some time.
    One such Co is the Wood Group. As I'm sure its true of others... their products are shipped all over the world.

But these Baker Hughes jobs are some of the types of jobs that comes with increased crude / NG drilling and other associated facility's.
    Many of the jobs (probabaly a strong majority) pay much better than the listed BH average wage.

In my view, anything we can do to promote these types of jobs and there prosperity it's good for the OKC metro and the nation.

Steve's article.

Baker-Hughes to open OKC manufacturing center | News OK

In addition to creating 475 jobs, the company is planning to invest between $128 million and $150 million on land, new plants, high tech robotics, machinery and inventory. The new Oklahoma City operation will be the company’s only site in the United States to incorporate high-tech robotics as part of creating motors for oil and gas companies.

Another great announcement!

Blog Entries

Any chance GEs locating here affected this decision?

If I were a young soon to be, or recent high school grad, I might look at taking some robotics courses. I didn't see a robotics program at Francis Tuttle, but surely someone in the state has a program. The CNC stuff is helpful, but some specific training in robotics and programming would be a nice thing to have complete when this opens.

Great news for the metro.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidD_NorthOKC View Post
    If I were a young soon to be, or recent high school grad, I might look at taking some robotics courses. I didn't see a robotics program at Francis Tuttle, but surely someone in the state has a program. The CNC stuff is helpful, but some specific training in robotics and programming would be a nice thing to have complete when this opens.

Great news for the metro.
    That type of work isn't for everybody.... I have done a little of it and found that after awhile that this was mind numbing boring work that kept me way to confined.....
    I felt like a robot my self.... LOL
    But these are good jobs for the right people.

A guy in my office just left to take a job over there as a contract analyst a week ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    It's not well understood by very many people in our area but Oil & NG manufacturing has been big business in our area for some time.
    One such Co is the Wood Group. As I'm sure its true of others... their products are shipped all over the world.

But these Baker Hughes jobs are some of the types of jobs that comes with increased crude / NG drilling and other associated facility's.
    Many of the jobs (probabaly a strong majority) pay much better than the listed BH average wage.

In my view, anything we can do to promote these types of jobs and there prosperity it's good for the OKC metro and the nation.
    GE bought out Woodgroup ESP and Pressure control (sites in shawnee and purcell). The GE site by TAF base (not the GRC being built downtown) is a direct competitor to BHI's Centrilift division, which is part of their artificial lift line. It will be interesting to see how this will affect the Centrilift hq in Claremore, where all their pumps and surface units are manufactured.

Doubt it will also happen, but schlumberger has an artificial lift group based in bartlesville...

Quote Originally Posted by OSUPeterson View Post
    GE bought out Woodgroup ESP and Pressure control (sites in shawnee and purcell). The GE site by TAF base (not the GRC being built downtown) is a direct competitor to BHI's Centrilift division, which is part of their artificial lift line. It will be interesting to see how this will affect the Centrilift hq in Claremore, where all their pumps and surface units are manufactured.

Doubt it will also happen, but schlumberger has an artificial lift group based in bartlesville...
    Thanks......
    I had forgotten about those GE purchases but now that you mention it I remember it now.

16. Default Re: Baker Hughes to bring 475 new jobs to OKC

It's just corporate charity. More money to the wealthy. Let Texas or some other state give the people's money to get those jobs!

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    It's just corporate charity. More money to the wealthy. Let Texas or some other state give the people's money to get those jobs!
    Troll so hard. That, or you're just an idiot. Hope that it's just the former and not the latter.

18. Default Re: Baker Hughes to bring 475 new jobs to OKC

Recognize it for what it was, sarcasm, for those who don't understand that incentives are investments. Perhaps you should hold your comments until you know who you are talking about and what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Recognize it for what it was, sarcasm, for those who don't understand that incentives are investments. Perhaps you should hold your comments until you know who you are talking about and what you are talking about.
    I'll admit, I almost made the same comment but it's the
    Let Texas or some other state give the people's money to get those jobs!
    part that got me! lol

20. Default Re: Baker Hughes to bring 475 new jobs to OKC

I just want to slap some people.........

How large of a facility can we expect them to build on Broadway ext/Kilpatrick.

475 jobs, mostly manufacturing, should indicate a sizable development.

Funny I see this thread after my neighbor and I were talking about this this past weekend. He has been with Baker for several years now, but due to his job, works from home 90% of the time.

23. Default Re: Baker Hughes to bring 475 new jobs to OKC

I'm curious why they didn't work to build a consolidated plant on the south side near their existing sites on Sooner/59th. There is ample room in the industrial complex on 240/air depot, and plenty land to buy near there as well. Going to the NW side for this seems weird to me.

Yeah I know my neighbor made comments about wishing they'd built more on the south side.

They also have a corporate presence in Union Plaza on NW Expwy.

Thread Information