Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Restaurants

Default Re: Old Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by soonergeezer View Post
    There was a restaurant in what would be the same parking lot as Outback on NW exp. It would have been just south and slightly east of the current Outback. I ate there a few times, but cannot remember the name. This would have been late 70s or early 80s. I think it was the same building as My Pi(Pie) pizza. It was a decent restaurant had lots of plants and posters and interesting things on the walls.
    Butterfield's Overland Express.

Had a very lively nightlife as well.

looks like you posted this pic in 2006, pete...

I was a fan of Woodstock The Bar and Grill on N May in the early 90's. The food wasn't to die for, but it was adequate. Atmosphere and music were wonderful. Even the restrooms were spacious and user friendly. This coming October they will have been closed for 20 years.

This may have been mentioned before but I couldn't find it. How many remember Cajun's Wharf on South Meridian where the current Cowboys OKC club is?

Cajun Wharf Owners Plan New Restaurants | News OK

I went there many times and enjoyed it. It was usually very packed when I went.

RM,
    Sure I remember it. We didn't go there often, but we did enjoy it.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    This may have been mentioned before but I couldn't find it. How many remember Cajun's Wharf on South Meridian where the current Cowboys OKC club is?

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    RM,
    Sure I remember it. We didn't go there often, but we did enjoy it.
    C. T.
    Despite what you may think, I--The Radical Moderate--and Ljbab728 are not one in the same. =)
    (that being said, we both like Leslie Gore =)

How about Chequer's and Pelican's? (not technically, OKC . . . yet OKCish)
    Other than Don's Alley, there were no other "upscale" eatin' places to be found out East, back in the day . . .

Chequer's was noted for The BIG Block OF Cheddar Cheese adjacent to the salad bar.
    They also made a passable version of Long Island Iced Tea.
    It was the sort of place at which, when a frumpish woman who apparently got tired of waiting, in the entryway for a seat, your pal could say, in regard to her frowny countenance and irritated, haughty wannabee, vibe:

"What's her problem? She looks like her vibrator shorted out in the bathtub."

And everyone--except for the frowny person in question--had a hearty laugh.

RM,
    Pelican's was OKC. The Sushi place (Shiki Japanese) on May, North of Memorial, West side of the street was originally Pelican's. I have eaten at both, the original one in Midwest City and the one in OKC. I have never eaten at Chequer's or Don's Alley although I'm going to try to go to Don's Alley today for a late lunch. Since we're talking about the Mid/Del area, do you remember Lefty's? Really good pizza.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    How about Chequer's and Pelican's? (not technically, OKC . . . yet OKCish)
    Other than Don's Alley, there were no other "upscale" eatin' places to be found out East, back in the day . . .

Chequer's was noted for The BIG Block OF Cheddar Cheese adjacent to the salad bar.
    They also made a passable version of Long Island Iced Tea.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post

I went there a number of times, I still have a few of the tall glasses with a profile of a woman on them . That was also the location of several other clubs, just can't recall their names.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    RM,
    Pelican's was OKC. The Sushi place (Shiki Japanese) on May, North of Memorial, West side of the street was originally Pelican's. I have eaten at both, the original one in Midwest City and the one in OKC. I have never eaten at Chequer's or Don's Alley although I'm going to try to go to Don's Alley today for a late lunch. Since we're talking about the Mid/Del area, do you remember Lefty's? Really good pizza.
    C. T.
    Now that you mention it . . . I actually knew that the current location of Shiki (formerly known, and designed to be a Pelican's location). When we (that is, my wife and I) first moved out on this side of town, we gave this Bill Atkinson backed eatery location a try. It wasn't bad, but it was at best mediocre mostly because they treated the "Rice Pilaf" as an afterthought rather than a primary player on the plate.

The other day, a small family gathering was gathered at The Original Pelican's (next to the deserted Hub of Commerce formerly known as Heritage Park Mall) in MWC. The "Coconut Shrimp' was just OK. Way bigger shrimp but wrapped with too much batter. Not perfectly crisp as they used to be. I ordered the Blackened Catfish. It wasn't bad. The salad bar was as good as its always been. And the ambience is second to none.

My guess is that someday Vast (or the most recent reincarnation of the Spinning Restaurant on top of Founders Tower) will reach that point of perfection first pioneered by Jim D. at Pelicans in MWC (not officially OKC).

The TakeAway: No Statue Was Ever Erected to a Food Critic. Nor To A Hobby Cook Neither. =)

Oh!: And the rice on the side at the MWC location also indicated a lack of attention to detail. =0

The most amazing thing to me is that . . . even after maybe a five year hiatus? . . . after the next to the last visit, the Owner said, "John?" and I said "Yup". It was almost like a Facebook Moment. =)

Just for the Fun of IT? . . . this should probably be on the jukebox at the last surviving Pelican's location . . .
    [Video Down/Uplink Disabled by Service Provider]
    (It involved knowing some lines from Steve Martin--in his starring role as "The Jerk").

Youre not referring to Crystal's Pizza are you?

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Just for the Fun of IT? . . . this should probably be on the jukebox at the last surviving Pelican's location . . .
    [Video Down/Uplink Disabled by Service Provider]
    (It involved knowing some lines from Steve Martin--in his starring role as "The Jerk").
    There are no pelicans in Oklahoma.

Are there?

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    There are no pelicans in Oklahoma.

Are there?
    Yes, there are.

Up at Grove (Grand Lake area) they even have a Pelican Festival in October.
    Plus there is that restaurant over there next to the shell of what used to be Heritage Park Mall in MWC.
    I think it has something to do with migration patterns.

(welcome back)

There used to be a Pelican's restaurant at grand, but the festival you are thinking is the egret festival

Quote Originally Posted by mike1k View Post
    There used to be a Pelican's restaurant at grand, but the festival you are thinking is the egret festival
    Apparently you have never visited Grove, Oklahoma, on the scenic shores of Grand Lake.
    In October, when they have the Pelican Festival. =)

In all honesty, I can't think of a notable restaurant in Grove . . . not since the Seafood Place where they used to park The Cherokee Queen Lake Tour Steamboat shut down . . . except for the "German Restaurant" that is never actually open. =)

Last time we were up there we dined at an authentic, local, place that had a lot of old Sinatra music on the dusty ol' jukebox. One of the patrons plugged in a quarter and played that old time Sinatra Hit, with the hook line, "'Egrets . . . I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention." The egret served on the plate was perfectly done (with a side of home fries) and probably helped protect the migrant pelican population. I understand that pelicans are a bit tough and gamey.

Does anyone remember what restaurant was in the building on N. Western before The Metro opened? We think it might have been called Cappuccino's...It was in the mid- to late '80's because I remember watching Olympic skater Debi Thomas on the TV at the bar...strange thing, this memory of mine...

Quote Originally Posted by cindycat View Post
    Does anyone remember what restaurant was in the building on N. Western before
    The Metro opened? We think it might have been called Cappuccino's...
    You're correct, it was Cappuccino's and was in that location for a long time.

Does anybody remember Domino's on N. Western? Pump's?

19. Default Re: Old Restaurants

Definitely remember Pumps, which later became the original TapWerks.

Used to frequent both Pump's and Tap Werks a lot, nice cigar and beer times at Tap Werks.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Does anybody remember Domino's on N. Western? Pump's?
    I remember Domino's that was at approx. at the 7300 blk of N Western. Before that back in the day there was a Sammys Pizza just south of there a block or 2 that was pretty darn good. I also remember a Grocery Store as well as a drug store around that same area in the 70s.....cant recall the names though.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    I remember Domino's that was at approx. at the 7300 blk of N Western. Before
    that back in the day there was a Sammys Pizza just south of there a block or 2
    that was pretty darn good. I also remember a Grocery Store as well as a drug
    store around that same area in the 70s... cant recall the names though.
    Flip's Wine Bar took over Domino's location. I don't remember Dominoes being
    north of NW 63rd, not that it wasn't at one time.

Remember the Broncho Drive-In? Gridiron? Dairy Boy? The Red Sack Burgers? All were between NW 63rd and Wilshire on N Western. Also Art's Drug Store and Maddox' Grocery. I know this departs from the subject of the thread, but all were in that same mile.

Let's go back over 50 years to the NW corner of 23rd and N/ Western sat a Carnation's Ice Cream Parlor. After it closed Beef and Bun occupied that spot but I believe it was a newer building. East of there about 2 blocks was Billie Lee Pie's.

Quote Originally Posted by harp23 View Post
    Let's go back over 50 years to the NW corner of 23rd and N/ Western sat a
    Carnation's Ice Cream Parlor. After it closed Beef and Bun occupied that spot but
    I believe it was a newer building. East of there about 2 blocks was Billie Lee Pie's.
    I remember both. I believe it became Beef & Bun @ 1970. I know it was or became
    another restaurant either just before or after B&B. The signage was green with
    a white background.

Across the street on Western was Nick's Deli. That place was fabulous.

Thread Information