Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Restaurants

Default Re: Old Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    As far as I am concerned both places exist today in name only. They were the once the incredibly hot girls-next-door and today they are surgically-enhanced and unrecognizable.
    I know the location leaves a lot to be desired, but I'm hoping the new Tommy's on Memorial will remind us why we all fell in love with Bellini's (and Tommy's) in the first place.

Speaking of "Tommy's" (and perhaps at the risk of being redundant or whatever) . . . Wasn't there a "Tommy's" in Northpark Mall, perhaps where Rococo is now? I seem to recall eating there once--had the best Norweigian Salmon with pasta ever--and also seem to recall that it was the same Tommy of Bellini's fame . . .

How about this one . . .
    There used to be a little hole in the wall place at the corner of Reno and Sunnylane that served some of the best "Plate Lunches" ever.

And what about "Maggie's Kitchen" out there in Harrah?
    Or "The Front Porch" in Nicoma Park?

Achilleslastand,
    Even though I enjoyed the place, my worst dining experience happened there. Reservations for Mother's day for 1:00, and at 2:30 we had not been seated. I told the family (11 of them) that I would buy the take-away and we would celebrate at my house. It was unanimous and I never went back. I understand problems on holidays but it was an advance reservation that they didn't come close to honoring and didn't seem to care. I believe a chef named Houston was the last owner and it seems there were some legal problems that led to the closing, possibly even some shady activity by the owner.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Cant believe no one has mentioned this yet.
    Some of the best fried chicken in town in my opinion.
    Didn't they reopen for a spell after the robbery but ultimately had to close the doors?

RM,
    Yes and yes.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Speaking of "Tommy's" (and perhaps at the risk of being redundant or whatever) . . . Wasn't there a "Tommy's" in Northpark Mall, perhaps where Rococo is now? I seem to recall eating there once--had the best Norweigian Salmon with pasta ever--and also seem to recall that it was the same Tommy of Bellini's fame . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Achilleslastand,
    Even though I enjoyed the place, my worst dining experience happened there. Reservations for Mother's day for 1:00, and at 2:30 we had not been seated. I told the family (11 of them) that I would buy the take-away and we would celebrate at my house. It was unanimous and I never went back. I understand problems on holidays but it was an advance reservation that they didn't come close to honoring and didn't seem to care. I believe a chef named Houston was the last owner and it seems there were some legal problems that led to the closing, possibly even some shady activity by the owner.
    C. T.

The times ive been there were all pre-robbery and the food as well as the service was pretty good. Did you happen to go during the last ownership?
    Here is a pretty good article on the place...
    Sleepy Hollow Restaurant, Oklahoma City, OK

No, the last time (Mother's Day) was sometime between December, 1972 and August, 1975. I know because we went to our home on S. W. 92nd to eat the take-away and that's the timeframe that we lived there. They were still a good place, but I got burned pretty bad. I'm fairly forgiving and give a place a couple of chances. If they had only been apologetic, I understands foulups, but, as I mentioned previously, they didn't seem to care. I think they were happy that they didn't have to seat us.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    The times ive been there were all pre-robbery and the food as well as the service was pretty good. Did you happen to go during the last ownership?
    Here is a pretty good article on the place...
    Sleepy Hollow Restaurant, Oklahoma City, OK

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ... If you are thinking of the place by the same name that still exists inside the
    Waterford, I doubt you spent much time at Bellini's in the '90s, eating anyway.
    I definitely spent time at Bellini's in the 90's.

No, the last time (Mother's Day) was sometime between December, 1972 and August, 1975. I know because we went to our home on S. W. 92nd to eat the take-away and that's the timeframe that we lived there. They were still a good place, but I got burned pretty bad. I'm fairly forgiving and give a place a couple of chances. If they had only been apologetic, I understands foulups, but, as I mentioned previously, they didn't seem to care. I think they were happy that they didn't have to seat us.
    C. T.
    I had a similar experience on a Mother's Day at the Bellini's in Edmond. Rather than getting mad (instead, sublimating my anger) I managed to get the manager alone in his shabby little office to clarify and align our paradigms of what constitutes good customer service and what does not. No threats of any sort were involved. Our entire meal was "comped" and I left a tip.

Little Dee's, 27th/Classen, wasn't exactly a restaurant but they sold fine Chocolate Soldiers, dreamsicles, Dr Pepper, and beer.

Up the street on the east was a burger drive-in called Candy Cane, irrc.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post

How about this one . . .
    There used to be a little hole in the wall place at the corner of Reno and Sunnylane that served some of the best "Plate Lunches" ever.

And what about "Maggie's Kitchen" out there in Harrah?
    Or "The Front Porch" in Nicoma Park?
    Tommy's was pretty good but my favorite in that spot was Interurban, had a lot of fun times there and the food was better than the last time I ate at Interurban (Mustang location).

11. Default Re: Old Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I definitely spent time at Bellini's in the 90's.
    And you think it today in any way resembles the place where you hung out in the nineties? Other than the patrons, I mean. Interior, ownership, menu, all COMPLETELY different. BINO. Bellini's In Name Only.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Tommy's was pretty good but my favorite in that spot was Interurban, had a lot of fun times there and the food was better than the last time I ate at Interurban (Mustang location).
    Since I don't get downtown often I don't know if it's still around, but the Interurban, down there somewhere, was where I first experienced a "Cajun Chicken" Sandwich on one of the first Opening Nights on New Year's Eve. Both the sandwich and the restaurant were fabulous.

13. Default Re: Old Restaurants

Not around in that location anymore. Replaced a couple of years ago by Coolgreens, though that is presently mothballed due to P180 street closure. IU is not 100% gone from downtown; Packards is an Interurban-related place.

I just remembered what I believe was the first Japanese restaurant in OKC (I might be wrong), Tokyo Gardens on 46th and Lincoln. I remember their shrimp tempura, it was excellent.
    C. T.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Family Spaghetti House.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	193.0 KB 
ID:	7082SoonerDave,
    I found this on the DOK archives. I couldn't locate one called "Jack's" as was mentioned by a couple of our members.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Restaurant I miss from my kidhood was the old Spaghetti House on S. Western, on the west side of the road around 50th or so (Give or take). Near the old YMCA.

I remember its quiet, dimly lit atmosphere, breadsticks at the table, checkered tablecloths, and just the best smell you could imagine. They'd bring a little carousel of sauces to your table, and each meal finished off with a small bowl of orange sherbet.

Been trying for 4 years to find someone who remembers and knows the history of Ellen's Grill located at S.W. 42nd & S. Penn. Typical Diner built in the late fifties and then added a room on to the south end. I think they only had the one location although I've heard differently. It looked just about like the old "Cherry's" diners !! CT, you should be able to find this history if anyone can...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Family Spaghetti House.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	193.0 KB 
ID:	7082SoonerDave,
    I found this on the DOK archives. I couldn't locate one called "Jack's" as was mentioned by a couple of our members.
    C. T.
    Great find, CT! $1.79 AYCE dinner. Wow.

Remember a last trip to Sleepy Hollow, but its been many, many years ago. It was good, but not overwhelming, and nothing that ever compelled us to try going back.

Now one pace that was really good the one time I visited it was the Haunted Mansion (House?) Think it was discussed recently in a different thread. Wife and I went there many moons ago with another couple - back when we were just dating - and it was a really nice place.

CarltonsKeeper,
    I am drawing a blank. I search with Ellens (with and without apostrophe) grill, cafe, and diner between 1952 and 1975 and the only hit I get is Lou Ellen's Cafe in (I think) the Mid-Del area. How long has J & I Hitch been there? If you talk to the owner, he might have an idea since he is on the North side of 41st and it appears that the South side is where Ellen's could have been.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by CarltonsKeeper View Post
    Been trying for 4 years to find someone who remembers and knows the history of Ellen's Grill located at S.W. 42nd & S. Penn. Typical Diner built in the late fifties and then added a room on to the south end. I think they only had the one location although I've heard differently. It looked just about like the old "Cherry's" diners !! CT, you should be able to find this history if anyone can...

SoonerDave,
    The Haunted House is a very nice place. At one time, it was one of the finest in OKC along with Christopher's, Jacques, and Junior's. The last time I was there we did have a problem, but it was partly because my late mother was so slow and the steaks were ready too soon. Instead of starting over, they kept them warm while she finished her salad, and it was obvious. I didn't let one little problem change my attitude, if my wife was still here, I would definitely go there.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Now one pace that was really good the one time I visited it was the Haunted Mansion (House?) Think it was discussed recently in a different thread. Wife and I went there many moons ago with another couple - back when we were just dating - and it was a really nice place.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by boscorama View Post
    Little Dee's, 27th/Classen, wasn't exactly a restaurant but they sold fine
    Chocolate Soldiers, dreamsicles, Dr Pepper, and beer.

Up the street on the east was a burger drive-in called Candy Cane, irrc.
    And the Blue Goose was about a block north. I lived in that area in the early
    70's. The Candy Cane was pretty good.

Ellens Grill was definitely there and it was just North of J&I Hitch which was previously a FINA service station. J&I bought the place sometime after 1963. (I knew the owner of the FINA station) It must have been owned under another name and just operated as Ellens? Thanks for the work CT....

Does anybody remember El Patio on S. W. 5th between Walker and Robinson? A nice little "mom and pop" Mexican cafe. It was Tex-Mex and it was one of the first places my wife and I went when we were dating. It was open in the mid 60's and closed sometime in the early 70's. Really good salsa, we even bought it by the quart to take back to Maryland.
    C. T.

There were two places we used to hit for lunch on regular basis that I miss. Durangos Mexican Restaurant which used to be on SE corner of 10th and Walker where the physical therapy place is now. They had a fire in the building and never came back. The other is the Pagoda which was on NW 36th street on north side of street between Shartel and Robinson. Looked like it was an old hamburger takeout. Miriwa on NW 23rd was one of the best back in the late 80's but now is just a shell of what it used to be. Sign is still there but doesn't look open.. Also, Jim's fried chicken on S. Douglas in MWC and location on NE 23rd was excellent

From what I hear, Jim's Fried Chicken on NE 23rd is still in business under new management.
    Edy's--just down the street--served real good Broasted Chicken.
    A little further down the street--where Mr. Tee's BBQ is or used to be--was Dean's Drive-In. You could get 5 pretty darn good hamburgers for a dollar. They also had great chili dogs and Frito Pies. But I was just a kid, so my taste in food was fairly simple and it might not have been as good in reality as in my recollection.

If you wanted food a step up from any of that you had to go to MWC: Checker's (Chequer's?) or Pelican's.
    I still like to go to Pelican's once in a while . . . Jim Doelzel, the owner, opened a branch of Pelican's on N. May where that sushi place is now. We only ate there once. It was nowhere near as good as the original location. They treated their rice pilaf side almost as an afterthought and that is NOT good eats.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    There were two places we used to hit for lunch on regular basis that I miss. Durangos Mexican Restaurant which used to be on SE corner of 10th and Walker where the physical therapy place is now. They had a fire in the building and never came back. The other is the Pagoda which was on NW 36th street on north side of street between Shartel and Robinson. Looked like it was an old hamburger takeout. Miriwa on NW 23rd was one of the best back in the late 80's but now is just a shell of what it used to be. Sign is still there but doesn't look open.. Also, Jim's fried chicken on S. Douglas in MWC and location on NE 23rd was excellent
    Pagodo, which I don't remember, must have been on the site of McMahon's, indeed, a hamburger takeout. Or maybe ice cream. It was across Walker from the First Christian Church.

Thread Information