Widgets Magazine
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 161718192021

Thread: Old Restaurants

Default Re: Old Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Okigator View Post
    Does anyone remember the name of the Mexican restaurant on the East side of Meridian, just north of I-40. I believe it was owned by Howard Johnson's, and was in the same building. My memory is not perfect, but I think it only lasted a year or two. I think it had a name based on the menu. They had a "build your own" fajita bar.

One thing I'm sure of, there was a Gilligan's Island pinball machine, so it was probably no earlier than 1991.
    I believe you are talking about Two Pesos.

2. Default Re: Old Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I think you're right. They had another store on NW Exp that a softball team I played for went to after every game for drinks. I hate to admit I rode my Harley home many times and couldn't remember it the next morning. Blessed that I and anyone I was near me on the road are still alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by rayvaflav View Post
    Attachment 17911 Just came across this 30 year old memento in my tool box. Loved the lunch "hot line".
    Was the the place that you paid a fixed cash dollar amount for whatever was served that day, and a dollar extra for a soft drink?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I think you're right. They had another store on NW Exp that a softball team I played for went to after every game for drinks. I hate to admit I rode my Harley home many times and couldn't remember it the next morning. Blessed that I and anyone I was near me on the road are still alive and well.
    Yes, the Two Pesos location on NW Expressway was just west of Meridian on the South side of the road near where Braum's/Aaron Rents is now. If I'm not mistaken, it was more of a very early "fast casual" concept. They lost a copyright infringement lawsuit to Taco Cabana back in the early 90s which lead to their demise. https://www.quimbee.com/cases/two-pe...aco-cabana-inc

^

That NW Expressway Two Pesos location was on the south side of the street directly west of Braum's where the Weokie Credit Union is now.

I lived nearby at the time and ate there many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, everything fits. Thanks!

wasnt there a Two Pesos where the deep fork grill was? Did Deep fork just use the same building or was it torn down and built a new?

Pretty sure Two Pesos had a 2 lane driven in as well.

It was a two pesos. I believe but others will correct me if I am wrong that it was the original building with remodel

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    It was a two pesos. I believe but others will correct me if I am wrong that it was the original building with remodel
    That's a good question. I know it became Portobello's but I don't recall if it was the same building.

The article below is from February of 1988. It says that there were 4 two pesos planned for oklahoma city. the first was at 4528 nwx which is just west of meridian where there is currently a car wash. the second was 2125 sw 74th and that structure still stands as a pier 88 just west of i-240 and penn. as mentioned in this thread, the third was at i-44 and western where portabello and deep fork grill once were and the fourth was at i-40 and meridian.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twopesos.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	17999

and this one is from july 1995 where the i-44 and western property was purchased and planned to be expanded into portabello:
    Attachment 18000

deep fork replaced portabello by october of 1997 and was a rebranding under the same ownership:

Name:	deepfork.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	18001

12. Default Re: Old Restaurants

It was indeed the original building.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    The article below is from February of 1988. It says that there were 4 two pesos planned for oklahoma city. ...... and the fourth was at i-40 and meridian.

Name:	twopesos.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	17999
    The I40 and Meridian was a boomerang and is now Gopuram. I believe it is also the original building but less sure on this one. I had many 99 cent margaritas there

The I40 and Meridian was a boomerang and is now Gopuram. I believe it is also the original building but less sure on this one. I had many 99 cent margaritas there
    ah yes, i went there plenty of times during college while that was boomerang. before that, wasn't it called 'bombay bicycle club' or something?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    wasnt there a Two Pesos where the deep fork grill was? Did Deep fork just use the same building or was it torn down and built a new?

Pretty sure Two Pesos had a 2 lane driven in as well.
    It always annoyed me they named it Two Pesos instead of Dos Pesos.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    It always annoyed me they named it Two Pesos instead of Dos Pesos.
    ...and zwei pesos would have been right out. unless it was for an argentinian restaurant, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by securityinfo View Post
    Was the the place that you paid a fixed cash dollar amount for whatever was served that day, and a dollar extra for a soft drink?
    Yep, a dollar extra if you had a drink and sometimes if you added a dessert. Just depended on Rick's mood that day, always a bargain !

This may have already been asked somewhere, but does anyone know what happened to Atomic Burrito? I LOVED that place. Even went to one in Tulsa. Then.....poof....they were gone.

Quote Originally Posted by borchard View Post
    This may have already been asked somewhere, but does anyone know what happened to Atomic Burrito? I LOVED that place. Even went to one in Tulsa. Then.....poof....they were gone.
    i think this best summarizes it:
    New life sought for Atomic Burrito (oklahoman.com)

the last one in tulsa closed in 2005. i think the one in norman closed around 2001.

i really liked the food at the one in norman but part of that might just be nostalgia. freebirds kind of scratched that same itch for me but i didn't feel that it was quite as good.

Quote Originally Posted by borchard View Post
    I loved that place! I was introduced to Atomic Burrito in College Station some 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i think this best summarizes it:
    New life sought for Atomic Burrito (oklahoman.com)

the last one in tulsa closed in 2005. i think the one in norman closed around 2001.

i really liked the food at the one in norman but part of that might just be nostalgia. freebirds kind of scratched that same itch for me but i didn't feel that it was quite as good.
    Atomic Burrito involved one of the same owners from the Two Pesos group, which was sued by Taco Cabana.

Years later, he was sued by Hopdoddy for essentially the exact same thing that shut Two Pesos down.

The Two Pesos on Western was out of business by the end of 1988. It sat unoccupied until Chris Lower and Kurt Fleischfresser opened Portobello in September 1991. They added the covered patio, which was the first place in town to have outdoor heat lamps.

Thread Information