Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Restaurants

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Old Restaurants

Remember Woodstock, the Bar and Grill on N May? Loved the place for the music and wine. Food was decent for what it was. Hated when they closed in 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by boscorama View Post
    Remember Woodstock, the Bar and Grill on N May? Loved the place for the music and wine. Food was decent for what it was. Hated when they closed in 1994.
    Was that in the old Kip's Big Boy building?

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Was that in the old Kip's Big Boy building?
    I don't know if it's the Kip's building.

Why is it that, with certain notable exceptions, the finest dining experiences are no longer available?
    (for the texting public?)

(e.g.: Shipman's Café [on Robinson toward the south] one of the best, ever. Endless "biscuits" and chicken.)

I only ate at Shipman's on Robinson once; it had to be sometime around 1980. I do remember the fine biscuits as if it was yesterday.

How in the world can a restaurant like that not last forever? Seriously.
    (well . . . we're off to another Old and Classic Restaurant (Ingrid's) that's still hangin' in there . . . =)

Prunepicker Guest

I remember a place in the 80's that had a Renaissance theme. It was in
    Dallas. There was jousting, too! I never went. The excitement and
    cuisine in Arlington was too much to pass up (Ranger baseball).

Medieval Times!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    been meaning to try this place for a bit of molly's nostalgia: Magic Time Machine -M
    Quote Originally Posted by capt_john_97 View Post
    A lot of people say that that was the original inspiration for Molly's. I don't know if it is true or not.
    It was, the architect who did it and TaMolly's made many trips to Dallas, Austin and San Antonio to get the theme and style down. They did make some changes to the Molly's design so it was not an exact copy but it was definitely the inspiration. The Austin location closed right around the time I moved there in 2003, I think the Dallas and San Antonio locations are still open.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I remember a place in the 80's that had a Renaissance theme. It was in Dallas. There was jousting, too! I never went. The excitement and cuisine in Arlington was too much to pass up (Ranger baseball).

Medieval Times!
    It is still open in Dallas.
    {url=http://www.medievaltimes.com/dallas.aspx]Medieval Times - Dallas[/url]

We did a "drive-by" of what used to be Colonel Drake's #2 today. Apparently, the old tower (a replica of the first oil well drilled in Pennsylvania)--representing a landmark in 'Oilie' history, locally-- has been removed from the building. And a lot of the imported Cottonwood siding is falling off the exterior façade. The food inside is probably just as bad as the cover at this point in history. =)

Now the place looks like a bad haircut on a Saturday Night with no place to go.

Time for a musical interlude to remind us of important stuff.
    Like going to a restaurant with this on the tableside jukebox interface.
    That only required a nickel to play.

Speaking of which, those tableside jukeboxes were a lot of fun. I always liked hearing a song that "I" picked out and paid for being played for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Speaking of which, those tableside jukeboxes were a lot of fun. I always liked hearing a song that "I" picked out and paid for being played for everyone.
    Which is Exactly Correct and As It Should Be . . . (ain't it?) . . . =)
    (as long as the rest of the diners like your selection.)

Does it strike you as odd that Dean Martin somehow morphed into Jerry Lewis' straight man?
    (Dean was a good crooner . . . Nearly up to the level of Bing Crosby . . . Jerry was a goofball) (imho)

Sorry . . . Off topic . . . This thread is about Old Restaurants. =)

Well, Bing Crosby also served well as one of Bob Hope's straight men, so it wasn't unique for Dino...

Now back to topic.

I always thought Dean Martin was the epitome of "cool" when I was a kid. If he had an old restaurant, I would have gone there.
    It would have been extra nice if his restaurant was showing reruns of those old Matt Helm movies on the big screen TVs.

Am I correct, didn't Nicolosi's on tenth (after they moved from May to between Ann Arbor and Perdue) have the jukebox controls on the tables? (back on topic)

Does anyone remember the Fox and the Horn? How about Twitty Burger. Anyone from South OKC (and old enough) should remember. I believe the Fox and Horn was the only nice steak house on the South side. Twitty burgers was a franchise started by Conway Twitty. I thought it was good but it wasn't around very long.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Does anyone remember the Fox and the Horn? How about Twitty Burger. Anyone from South OKC (and old enough) should remember. I believe the Fox and Horn was the only nice steak house on the South side. Twitty burgers was a franchise started by Conway Twitty. I thought it was good but it wasn't around very long.
    C. T.
    Yes, the Fox and Horn was a very nice restaurant south of 59th on the west side of Western. I ate there quite a few times and always liked it. I did try Conway's place a couple of times but it wasn't often. While it wasn't a steak house, there was another place in the same area that I always liked call Peaches. There was also a Steak and Ale on I240.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fox and Horn.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	7680

Ljbab,
    When did the Steak and Ale open? I don't remember it but I left South OKC in 1975. I don't remember Peaches either.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    There was also a Steak and Ale on I240.

Ljbab,
    When did the Steak and Ale open? I don't remember it but I left South OKC in 1975. I don't remember Peaches either.
    C. T.
    Not sure when it opened exactly but it was there in 1978, me and wifeypoo ate dinner there the day we were married.

Ljbab,
    C. T.
    This article is from January, 1980.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steak and Ale.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	7695

Oh man, I loved Peaches! I always thought Steak and Ale had the best salad bar.

been meaning to try this place for a bit of molly's nostalgia: Magic Time Machine -M

A lot of people say that that was the original inspiration for Molly's. I don't know if it is true or not.

On Classen there's an old church that's apparently in the news right now because it's been declared a public nuisance. Back in the early 70's (maybe) there was a church, likely the same one, that had a new innovation in OKC dining - the salad bar! Please help us remember the name. Thanks.

Might have been an Episcopal church before it was a steakhouse and, later, The Bowery.

That was my thought but they tore that church down several years ago and it is an empty lot now. Was across from the 7/11. Not sure how it would be a public nuisance now.
    Quote Originally Posted by boscorama View Post
    Might have been an Episcopal church before it was a steakhouse and, later, The Bowery.

Thread Information