Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Via Paseo

Default Re: Via Paseo

Quote Originally Posted by Paseofreak View Post
    I spoke with the designer and he assured that it will be "real" stucco.
    Did he also assure it won't be a funeral home? LOL Really would have liked to see the building play of the curve of the parcel more; could have done some really cool designs on that property.

I don't like it. I wished it hugged the street more and had more design features.

That's just a quick sketch-up model that makes it looks much more simple than it will be.

The patio follows the curve (and will look great with umbrellas and string lights) the restaurant has two sides that face this outdoor space, and the architecture is very much in keeping with the district.

I bet people will be happy with the finished product and this will bring very much needed new life and development to a district that up until now has been sitting on the sidelines while several other urban districts have been going nuts.

Except that tourist dumbards will try to park in the spots behind my apartment.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That's just a quick sketch-up model that makes it looks much more simple than it will be.

The patio follows the curve (and will look great with umbrellas and string lights) the restaurant has two sides that face this outdoor space, and the architecture is very much in keeping with the district.

I bet people will be happy with the finished product and this will bring very much needed new life and development to a district that up until now has been sitting on the sidelines while several other urban districts have been going nuts.
    Paseo's got some stuff going on. This cool project (very important to continue the Mission-style tradition), the Paseo Plunge, the 4-plex thing up on 30th, and now Walker emerging as a cool urban corridor, all come together to create more synergy here than we are used to at least.

Are the apartments on Walker and 24th really happening?

Marva Ellard is the driving force behind the residential project just north of The Rise; there are several boarded up small houses along 24th and then an empty lot to the east.

I was told some time ago the homes would be renovated along with a neighboring 4-plex and new apartments built on the lot.

However, there has been no movement. No design plans filed, etc.

Not sure why this is taking so long.

Has the CHDO (Positively Paseo and Jefferson Park?) in this area still been adding those small infill homes (the income-restricted ones)? I know there's a very nice block or two of those along Walker by the Marva site, probably finished five years ago..

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Has the CHDO (Positively Paseo and Jefferson Park?) in this area still been adding those small infill homes (the income-restricted ones)? I know there's a very nice block or two of those along Walker by the Marva site, probably finished five years ago..
    Yes, to my knowledge, although I think they've spread out their development to a larger area now.

Marva Ellard is the driving force behind the residential project just north of The Rise; there are several boarded up small houses along 24th and then an empty lot to the east.

I was told some time ago the homes would be renovated along with a neighboring 4-plex and new apartments built on the lot.

However, there has been no movement. No design plans filed, etc.

Not sure why this is taking so long.
    I think we can see that the patio follows the curve, but instead of so many harsh angles, it would have been nice to have seen a curved aspect to both he building, and the patio instead of the staggering stair step stucco fence/patio that follows the curve. I agree overall it's a win for the Paseo, and they need much more investment, however the design could have had just a few simple design elements to make this go from boring to WOW, and probably not have affected the construction cost much if any.

Just to be clear, this has not been formally approved.

It goes to the Urban Design Commission on Wednesday (12/17).

They received their design approval yesterday, so we should start to see this project go forward.

12. Default Re: Via Paseo

I don't think there's anyone more looking forward to news about the Marva and Floyd properties than me. Now that I'm open I have to worry about my customers and staff crossing paths with all the squatters that live in the boarded up houses. They tend to stick to themselves, but I can't help but worry.

HangryHippo Guest

Foraker's new project has me wondering how things are on this project. Has it even started?

Not yet.

They made some small changes at the request of design review and should get their plans approved soon. Work would start shortly thereafter.

The restaurant with large outdoor patio will be a Mexican concept called Mesero Mesero.

Ryan Parrot from Picasso Cafe (and formerly Iguana) is helping develop the menu.

Great fit IMO.

Has this deal stalled? Any idea when construction on this is supposed to begin?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Has this deal stalled? Any idea when construction on this is supposed to begin?
    Is it time to panic?!?!?

Absolutely not stalled and will be starting soon.

Any movement on this?

Building permit still working it's way through the process but they are getting close.

Building permit still working it's way through the process but they are getting close.
    Good to hear. Looking forward to it being built.

They just submitted some slight revisions to their plans for design review and should be starting construction right after the first of the year.

Building is already fully leased.

They just submitted some slight revisions to their plans for design review and should be starting construction right after the first of the year.

Building is already fully leased.
    Good news! Do you know what tenants are going to end up there?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Good news! Do you know what tenants are going to end up there?
    The Mexican restaurant (now to be called Frida) is going to take the entire 1st floor and patio. The proposed coffee shop is moving to the Pueblo at Paseo project by the same developer.

The upstairs will be offices with a large rooftop terrace. Offices will be open concept and they are considering a configuration that would allow for private events upstairs.

The Pueblo project has a lot of tenants too and should start work right after Via gets going.

Paseo is getting ready to see some pretty big changes for the first time in a long time. All this should help move the district back into the forefront and the consciousness of people who tend to forget about it while favoring The Plaza, Updtown, Midtown, etc.

The Mexican restaurant (now to be called Frida) is going to take the entire 1st floor and patio. The proposed coffee shop is moving to the Pueblo at Paseo project by the same developer.

The upstairs will be offices with a large rooftop patio. Offices will be open concept and they are considering a configuration that would allow for private events upstairs.

The Pueblo project has a lot of tenants too and should start work right after Via gets going.

Paseo is getting ready to see some pretty big changes for the first time in a long time. All this should help move the district back into the forefront and the consciousness of people who tend to forget about it while favoring The Plaza, Updtown, Midtown, etc.
    This is all great news.

I am personally biased but I think the Paseo is one of the best neighborhoods in OKC. It's already special because its so unique and has such good bones, but it could become much moreso with this investment along with development to bridge it with Uptown/23rd. I hope to eventually see an investment in sidewalks and lighting like what is being pushed for in Deep Deuce.

Thread Information