Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: OU football 2014

Default Re: OU football 2014

I do not at all think the coaches actually think Mayfield is a better or more talented QB than Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    I don't think Trevor Knight has the consistency to bring home a Heisman Trophy. Especially when I really believe that even the coaching staff believes he's the second best quarterback on the team. Confused? See this post.
    So crazy and not close to to the truth

This is huge good news for the 2014 Sooner football team.

Jordan Phillips is back and healthy which would help OU’s defense pretty good and maybe the best it’s been since the early Stoops years.

OU Sports: Jordan Phillips is back, and that's big for the Sooners - Tulsa World: OU Sports

It's not a matter of "true" or "untrue" as to what they think. We're just voicing opinions. I do KNOW the coaches are very excited about him. I wish Mayfield was eligible this year, but Stoops making him an integral part of the team, even without eligibility, is a good sign for the future. Baker Mayfield has put up freak numbers in high school and college. I expect he will be another great OU quarterback.

Oklahoma football: Mike Stoops says defensive tackle Jordan Phillips a full participant in summer workouts.
    “Jordan, if he stays healthy, he can be as ***dominating***a player as there is in college, and disruptive up front,” (Mike)Stoops said
    “We missed him inside; Jordan Wade came in and really did a nice job for us, kinda holding down that middle, but the production, it’s different, Jordan can take up the middle and make plays. That’s something we’ll be looking forward to getting him back.”

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-football-...stom_click=rss

It's not a matter of "true" or "untrue" as to what they think. We're just voicing opinions. I do KNOW the coaches are very excited about him. I wish Mayfield was eligible this year, but Stoops making him an integral part of the team, even without eligibility, is a good sign for the future. Baker Mayfield has put up freak numbers in high school and college. I expect he will be another great OU quarterback.
    By integral you mean 4th string qb. And other than his first 2 starts against SMU and SFA. He was average at best last year. Closer to bad

It is likely that he never takes a game snap at OU

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    By integral you mean 4th string qb. And other than his first 2 starts against SMU and SFA. He was average at best last year. Closer to bad

Boulder, That's not true. At all. You don't win the Big 12 Freshman Offensive Player of the Year by being "bad." Check his stats. If you saw the Spring Game, you saw a guy not even eligible take snaps. When does that happen at OU? And not only did he take snaps, but with the same personnel, made Trevor look very, very average. This was noticed by everybody. I'm pulling for Trevor all the way, but your response about Baker Mayfield was just not in tune with the facts and the stats.

Boulder, That's not true. At all. You don't win the Big 12 Freshman Offensive Player of the Year by being "bad." Check his stats. If you saw the Spring Game, you saw a guy not even eligible take snaps. When does that happen at OU? And not only did he take snaps, but with the same personnel, made Trevor look very, very average. This was noticed by everybody. I'm pulling for Trevor all the way, but your response about Baker Mayfield was just not in tune with the facts and the stats.
    Again look at the facts. Mayfield was against 3 walk on db's most of the scrimmage

Knight was with the 1's against the 1's every snap.

Mayfield. Game 1 vs SMU 413 yards 71.7% 4 td 0 picks
    Game 2 vs SFA 367 yards 70% 3 td's 0 picks.

So 780 yard 9 td's 0 picks in games 1 and 2 over 70% passing

Game 3 216 yards 52% 1 td 3 picks
    Game 4 124 yards 70% 9 td 1 pick
    Game 5 368 yards 65% 0 td 1 pick
    Game 6 276 yards 77% 0 td 2 picks
    Game 7 314 yards 55% 4 td 1 pick. (In a game they lost by 30)
    Game 8 237 yards 55% 0 td 1 pick.

So after week 2 5 td's 9 picks 60 %.

As in average at beast much closer to bad.

Which is why he got benched

Boulder, What are you looking at? Baker Mayfield started and won every game until he was hurt againt Kansas, which was Game 5. He gave Tech a 5-0 start when he was injured. You said he threw for 314 yards game 7 and they lost by 30. ???????? They beat Kansas 54-15 and Mayfield threw for 368 yards when he was injured in the third quarter of Game 5.

He didn't even play in games 6,7,8 or 9. The Baylor game (which Tech lost) he returned and threw for 314 yards and 4 touchdowns.

(Should we list all of Trevor Knight's statistics?)

Did you throw Webb's stats in there as well? You seem to have forgotten that Mayfield missed 5 games to injury and was on and off for several other games.

The bottom line is this:

2013: Baker Mayfield - 340 attempts, 218 completions, 2,315 yards (while missing 5 games) 12 TDs, QB rating of 127.7 and Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year.

I'm not going to argue with you any more. It is what it is. The above award speaks for itself.

Baker Mayfield Dominates Oklahoma Spring Game, Is He Sooners' Future Star QB? | Bleacher Report

What is so hard to figure out I listed the 8 games he played. He was great the first 2 against bad teams. He was average at best closer to bad the rest of the year.

And yeah he was good in the spring. He had good scholarship receivers against walkons.

And you list his passer rating like it is a good thing. Lol. He was 80th in the country

What is so hard to figure out I listed the 8 games he played. He was great the first 2 against bad teams. He was average at best closer to bad the rest of the year.

And yeah he was good in the spring. He had good scholarship receivers against walkons.
    The final stats speak for themselves. The award speaks for itself. OU's scholarship and his leading the Scout Team in '14 speaks for itself.

Do you know something that the Big 12 doesn't? That Stoops doesn't know?

Your claim: a "bad" season. The Big 12: Offensive Freshman Player of the Year.

About that Spring Game, you keep talking about passing against walk-on DBs. Where's your source for that?

ESPN evaluation of the Spring Game: Spring game review: Oklahoma Sooners - ESPN

Best offensive performance: Baker Mayfield stole the show, completing 9 of 9 pass attempts for 125 yards and two touchdowns. The former Texas Tech quarterback, who transferred to OU in January after earning Big 12 offensive freshman of the year honors last season, is ineligible for the 2014 season. Nonetheless, Mayfield outshined Knight, the Sooners’ projected starter this fall, with his flawless outing. Mayfield has Big 12 game experience, and it showed throughout the spring game. He’ll spend this fall giving OU’s defense fits while leading the scout team.

You are OKC's drive-by poster who is so often proved wrong. Who are we to believe BoulderSooner or the awards and the status he has going into 2014?

He is a walk on he is not getting a scholarship.

And I watched the spring game you are free to do so

Again why don't you talk about the numbers

He is a walk on he is not getting a scholarship.

And I watched the spring game you are free to do so

Again why don't you talk about the numbers
    Yes, he left Tech and walked-on at OU. ESPN says he had several in-the-bag offers at big time schools, but he wanted to play at OU. He's a walk-on who is getting a scholarship. Do you really not believe that? According to ESPN he's already been designated the Scout Team QB. He's ineligible to play in any games in 2014 - but do you REALLY believe he's not getting a scholarship at OU?

Why don't I "talk about the numbers"? I listed the 2013 numbers. Why won't you talk about the award from the Big 12 after his "bad" season?

edit - I just read where Mayfield threw against the second-team defense at the SG - which at most schools is a first-team, do you doubt that?

I'm through. Really. An award like that, numbers like that - some complications in other games true - but so did Trevor. The totality is overwhelming that he's a great addition at OU.

No one really knows how good Mayfield is in my opinion, but he definitely struggled once Tech's competition ramped up. Also, spring game performances are notoriously unreliable. Does this mean that Mayfield is bad and will never start? No, but I'm skeptical that he ever wins the job. He obviously lost his job at Tech and OU has two pretty highly touted younger guys coming after Knight. I think it's more likely that either Thomas or Hansen wins the job in the future, but we'll see.

Yes, he left Tech and walked-on at OU. ESPN says he had several in-the-bag offers at big time schools, but he wanted to play at OU. He's a walk-on who is getting a scholarship. Do you really not believe that? According to ESPN he's already been designated the Scout Team QB. He's ineligible to play in any games in 2014 - but do you REALLY believe he's not getting a scholarship at OU?

Why don't I "talk about the numbers"? I listed the 2013 numbers. Why won't you talk about the award from the Big 12 after his "bad" season?

edit - I just read where Mayfield threw against the second-team defense at the SG - which at most schools is a first-team, do you doubt that?

I'm through. Really. An award like that, numbers like that - some complications in other games true - but so did Trevor. The totality is overwhelming that he's a great addition at OU.
    2nd team d in name only. The top 3 S and top 3 corner were all playing with the 1's. (Thomas Byrd Hayes Sanchez Wilson Johnson Taylor and Dakota Austin didn't play a snap with the second Team. )

And he is not getting a scholarship. He showed up at OU uninvited. Stoops met him at the first team meeting of the winter as a walk on. Do we want him sure he is a good walk on. Is he getting a scholarship. No

If he sticks with the program I suspect he'll get a scholarship after this season.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    If he sticks with the program I suspect he'll get a scholarship after this season.
    Historically he only walk one that get scholarships under stoop. Either paly a real role before hand (ie start)or are seniors and we end up with non used ships during hat year

Historically he only walk one that get scholarships under stoop. Either paly a real role before hand (ie start)or are seniors and we end up with non used ships during hat year
    Could you translate that from Boulderspeak to English?

He's not a normal walk-on. He's already started at QB at Big 12 conference foe. Worst case, he provides a decent backup. He'll likely get a scholly offer after this year if he decides to stay at OU.

Blog Entries

OU Re: OU football 2014

It's going to be a luxury for Oklahoma to have an insurance quarterback like Baker Mayfield (6 foot-2, 220 lb., sophomore), who becomes eligible for 2015-16. If his performance in the Spring Game is a token of things to come; Mayfield's early stage confidence may be ready to bloom.

06 Baker Mayfield, OU Spring game

Mayfield looks like a slightly smaller version of Blake Bell. Bell (6 foot-6, 252) moves to tight end where his height could cause some teams--matchup problems.

Mayfield left Texas Tech amid reports that there was a breakdown in communications with the Tech coaches and he wants a fresh start somewhere else.

He (Baker) likes the system OU runs and the protection (offensive line) seems better at OU than at TTU. This will give us options to look at when playing teams like BU, KSU, OSU & TU who come at you with good multiple defensive sets.

His 2015 debut will tell us more... I don't recall any quarterbacks at OU who didn't get an opportunity to take snaps especially when the game is out of reach. Baker Mayfield has impressed upon me with his willingness to switch schools and sit out a year to play for Oklahoma. Some might say he's cocky; but to me it seems more like inner confidence.

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

Please list the walk ons not named p fletcher that have taken snaps under stoops

He's not a normal walk-on. He's already started at QB at Big 12 conference foe. Worst case, he provides a decent backup. He'll likely get a scholly offer after this year if he decides to stay at OU.
    He wasn't recruited. He wasn't asked to come to OU. We are trying to sign a qb in this recruiting class (giving us 4 next fall). He is not getting a scholarship next year

He wasn't recruited. He wasn't asked to come to OU. We are trying to sign a qb in this recruiting class (giving us 4 next fall). He is not getting a scholarship next year
    Okay. We'll see. I think you're wrong. There's a decent chance OU doesn't even sign a 2015 QB. They missed on all their targets and today offered two 2016 QBs. It's the earliest they've offered QBs under Stoops.

Okay. We'll see. I think you're wrong. There's a decent chance OU doesn't even sign a 2015 QB. They missed on all their targets and today offered two 2016 QBs. It's the earliest they've offered QBs under Stoops.
    Still several targets out there

Thread Information