Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 17 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: OU football 2014

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

OU OU football 2014

Spring football started this past Saturday.

If this video on this link is any indication things looks rather spirited

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...191622626.html

Default Re: OU football 2014

From The Dallas Morning News

This is a Game-by-game preview of Oklahoma’s 2014 football schedule:

Game-by-game preview of Oklahoma?s 2014 football schedule: An undefeated regular season? | Dallas Morning News

It's going to be interesting to see how teams handle the playoffs. We've got a D set up to stop wide open, fast paced offenses. In the BCS era you had a month to prepare for a different type of O and you only had to do it once. In the playoffs, you're gonna have to do it twice. The first team in this new era to figure out the formula will be well ahead of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see how teams handle the playoffs. We've got a D set up to stop wide open, fast paced offenses. In the BCS era you had a month to prepare for a different type of O and you only had to do it once. In the playoffs, you're gonna have to do it twice. The first team in this new era to figure out the formula will be well ahead of the game.
    I will be interesting but this is where recruiting diversity comes into play IMHO.
    Having players with flexible skill sets will be very important.
    Fortunately for OU Stoops has always made it a priority to recruit players who can do several diffrent things.
    Quality depth (with different types of skills) will also be a big advantage because it will let a team bring in different packages depending on the circumstances.

Most coaching staffs will have already done much of their scouting on the second oponit before they play the first play off game.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    I will be interesting but this is where recruiting diversity comes into play IMHO.
    Having players with flexible skill sets will be very important.
    Fortunately for OU Stoops has always made it a priority to recruit players who can do several diffrent things.
    Quality depth (with different types of skills) will also be a big advantage because it will let a team bring in different packages depending on the circumstances.

Most coaching staffs will have already done much of their scouting on the second oponit before they play the first play off game.
    You may be right. I've never been a huge fan of the multiples offense ( feel like an O really doesn't have an identity when using that) but maybe recruiting athletes to play in a multiple offense instead of strictly position players will help in this new era. Not to say we don't recruit position players, but we also tend to recruit athletes more than an offense like Bama's would.

You may be right. I've never been a huge fan of the multiples offense ( feel like an O really doesn't have an identity when using that) but maybe recruiting athletes to play in a multiple offense instead of strictly position players will help in this new era. Not to say we don't recruit position players, but we also tend to recruit athletes more than an offense like Bama's would.
    This is the way I see it.... Football has changed.... Its much more about individual match ups than it once was when teams operated nearly exclusively from one formation such as the Wishbone or I formation.....

As a result most college teams must be able to exploit the weakness of the opponent, wereever it may be and know the oponits weakness will change from week to week. IMO offensive diversity is the new offensive identity. But just win and everything is ok.

Over the past 3 or so years Stoops has been recruiting players who can play a more physical brand of football.... the coaching changes made by Stoops just over a year ago were a big step in advancing this goal. Since the Surgar Bowl OU players have reportedly put on very good weight particularly in the trenches. OU's new RB's are big, physical and generlly have good speed for RB's. With the speed at other skilled potions this will make for a very tough match up for other Big 12 defenses.

Bob Stoops generally stays away from making strong predictions but he did recently say the OU's DL will be the best in the nation.

You ever get the feeling that this thread is our own personal little forum? No LT people and no one from OKCTalk has ventured in here.

You ever get the feeling that this thread is our own personal little forum? No LT people and no one from OKCTalk has ventured in here.
    I hadn’t given it a thought.....LOL
    With 184 + views there are others who have read at least parts of the thread.
    Basketball is probably on the minds of most people right now.......
    But some of us have time and the interest for both.

There is good OU football information on the links I have posted that most any OU football fan would enjoy

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops has some scary words for the rest of the Big 12.

When asked about his defense this spring, the Sooners’ veteran coach left no doubt he was pleased about the progress of that unit.

“We’re light years ahead of a year ago,” he said.

Bob Stoops: Oklahoma Sooners defense 'light years' ahead spring 2014 - ESPN

^^Read that on LT. Hope we just go on the field and do our job instead having the rediculousness of the Sharks from a few seasons back. I'd rather let our play do the talking than some self inflicted nick name.

^^Read that on LT. Hope we just go on the field and do our job instead having the rediculousness of the Sharks from a few seasons back. I'd rather let our play do the talking than some self inflicted nick name.

LOL Yep.....We don't need any more of the sharks.

Sorry to break up your only OU48A or Traxx thread. I thought about wanting to post a while back but it looked like you all were having too much fun just talking to each other.

I remember when Mike Stoops was hired back before the 2012-2013 season people said he was going to be playing with someone else's players for a season (2012-2013) along with Brent Venables (who ended up leaving for Clemson), then he will have a full season to get his troops right (2013-2014) and then watch out for the next season when he has recruited some of them and had two sets of two-a-days with them to mold them how he wants them.

Do you think if OU wins a Nat'l Champ this year, Mike could get another head coaching job or will it take longer?

As long as Bob is at OU I doubt Mike ever goes anywhere else.

Yeah, I'm with 48 on this. I don't see Mike being eager to take another HC job anytime soon. He's done that and felt the pressure. I think he stays put for a while. If he puts together an NC winning D, he can be a hero in this state, get paid well, have a low cost of living and not have to deal with all the stuff an HC deals with.

I'm sure Mike would leave for the right job. Almost any assistant would, but that probably only includes a handful of programs that would be pretty difficult for him to get.

For those not going or if you want to record it....OU spring game will be televised and its on the radio.
    As of this morning OU had “issued over 40,000 tickets” for its spring game....
    This does not include walk-ups or students.

Check your local TV listings....... OKC COX 722

Perhaps the biggest statement made at yesterdays OU spring event was the record crowd of 43,500 that showed up.....
    By comparison the school up north had 41,000 less people at their spring event. Their spring event was not on TV or radio like OU's was......
    This huge difference is a clear indication of the stark contrast that exist in terms of fan support, media attention and advertisers.
    There were about 150 recruits from all over the nation that attended.

Perhaps the biggest statement made at yesterdays OU spring event was the record crowd of 43,500 that showed up.....
    By comparison the school up north had 41,000 less people at their spring event. Their spring event was not on TV or radio like OU's was......
    This huge difference is a clear indication of the stark contrast that exist in terms of fan support, media attention and advertisers.
    There were about 150 recruits from all over the nation that attended.
    You never miss a chance to run down OSU do you? I don't think a comparison was necessary at all. This is a thread about OU football, not OSU.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    You never miss a chance to run down OSU do you? I don't think a comparison was necessary at all. This is a thread about OU football, not OSU.
    My last post was about OU. It was about OU's dominant football position that somehow still revives near equal coverage in the papers and on local TV. It would be smarter business to devote more attention to what is obviously a much more popular product.... But you really are as petty as it gets. I really do feel sorry for someone like you who seems to be so full of so much hate and belligerence in several post where you have quoted me. You must be very board and boring person.

My last post was about OU. It was about OU's dominant football position that somehow still revives near equal coverage in the papers and on local TV. It would be smarter business to devote more attention to what is obviously a much more popular product.... But you really are as petty as it gets. I really do feel sorry for someone like you who seems to be so full of so much hate and belligerence in several post where you have quoted me. You must be very board and boring person.
    LOL, just LOL. Someone must be very bored to use a thread that they started about OU to bash OSU. If you have any evidence to dispute any of my posts please present it. I'm an OU graduate who's older than you and totally without any of the OSU animosity than you exhibit at every turn. We can totally support OU without having to knock OSU.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    LOL, just LOL. Someone must be very bored to use a thread that they started about OU to bash OSU. If you have any evidence to dispute any of my posts please present it. I'm an OU graduate who's older than you and totally without any of the OSU animosity than you exhibit at every turn. We can totally support OU without having to knock OSU.
    There is no way you could have very much worth while going on in your life.
    I did not even directly mention osu/pokes yet you make hay out of a lack of anything else better to do.
    What I said about the attendance is a fact.
    The differences is a clear illustration of the facts that exist.... rather you like it or not.

OU is a top 5 program of all time. Why Bob hires family, friends and former players when OU has the name and resources to hire just about any assistant coach out there is mind boggling. When Bob first got hired he did his homework and brought in some of the best young football minds out there and in just a few years we had a National Championship. He's gotten lazy in his hiring's IMO.

Thread Information