Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: OU football 2014

Default Re: OU football 2014

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Joe Mixon has been suspended from the OU team for the entire season and cannot even participate in team activities. Extremely strong statement about OU's stance concerning violence against women by OU as similar infractions at other schools have resulted in zero to two game suspensions. I am sure Mixon will transfer soon.
    He can transfer, and file under the same NCAA "Run off" rule that DGB is using to be eligible to play right away. I honestly think, that if DGB, and Frank Shannon weren't currently on campus....that Mixon would have received a multiple game suspension. But to have 3 active/current players on your roster that are either currently being accused of assault, or have been kicked off of other teams because of assault..its somewhat difficult to not try and set an example with this one. It would be a huge PR nightmare for OU. I wish I could say, that they made the right decision. but its not mine decision to make...as I can only have an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy View Post
    He can transfer, and file under the same NCAA "Run off" rule that DGB is using to be eligible to play right away.
    I'm not sure, but I don't think that rule would apply. First, he was charged with a crime. Second, he was suspended for a year, not permanently kicked off the team.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I'm not sure, but I don't think that rule would apply. First, he was charged with a crime. Second, he was suspended for a year, not permanently kicked off the team.
    You are correct in that he has been charged with a crime......whereas DGB was not. I am not certain how the verbage reads under the rule. But, I do know that not only is this a suspension...but, his scholarship has been removed, and he is not allowed to participate in any team activities of any kind. He cannot associate with the athletic department at all. I just somewhat worry about the kid, that was already not "enjoying" his time here in Oklahoma, and was already having issues adjusting to the cultural differences. If he cannot participate in any teams functions, and no longer has a scholarship....I would just assume that he is going to wonder off. Find a Jr. College or something to work out at...and enroll somewhere else.

Blog Entries

OU Re: OU football 2014

Example to others...

Sounds as though Mixon's situation is being used to make a harsh statement about violence against women on the OU Campus? Wish her a speedy recovery and Joe Mixon a better football career.

Mixon was definitely in the wrong for what he did to retaliate. She shouldn't have put her hands on him for comments directed at someone else. Whoever the comment was directed toward, did the right thing to ignore Mixon.

You would think that since Mixon came from California that he wouldn't have been making those kind of statements.

As many times as I've been to California, it is much more common place to witness various lifestyles. Let's hope Mixon learns a valuable lesson; know what thoughts to keep to yourself without expressing your ignorance. Time for Joe Mixon to come down off his high horse and become a mature adult.

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

5. Default Re: OU football 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy View Post
    You are correct in that he has been charged with a crime......whereas DGB was not. I am not certain how the verbage reads under the rule. But, I do know that not only is this a suspension...but, his scholarship has been removed, and he is not allowed to participate in any team activities of any kind. He cannot associate with the athletic department at all. I just somewhat worry about the kid, that was already not "enjoying" his time here in Oklahoma, and was already having issues adjusting to the cultural differences. If he cannot participate in any teams functions, and no longer has a scholarship....I would just assume that he is going to wonder off. Find a Jr. College or something to work out at...and enroll somewhere else.
    Your bolded part is what stood out to me immediately as I read the story. The part where he can stay at OU and take classes but then that he is also eligible for financial aid - which of course means no more scholarship. He's probably good as gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    Your bolded part is what stood out to me immediately as I read the story. The part where he can stay at OU and take classes but then that he is also eligible for financial aid - which of course means no more scholarship. He's probably good as gone now.
    The channel 4 sports just said he can be put on a student scholarship and attend class. I'm not sure if he leaves or not....time will tell I guess.

If he never attended a class at OU, does he have to sit a year if he transfers to a D1? Have there been any reports that he has attended a class yet?

8. Default Re: OU football 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    If he never attended a class at OU, does he have to sit a year if he transfers to a D1? Have there been any reports that he has attended a class yet?
    KWTV said he did attend class on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I think so. He's signed a Letter of Intent and enrolled at OU. I don't think he could just transfer tomorrow and play somewhere else.

10. Default Re: OU football 2014

Stoops just looks so desperate these days. All his plans of having these these outcasts and trouble makers are crashing right in front of him. They are falling like dominoes.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Stoops just looks so desperate these days. All his plans of having these these outcasts and trouble makers are crashing right in front of him. They are falling like dominoes.
    Says an obvious Stoops or OU hater. LOL.

It certainly looks like Mixon will be sticking around, however.

Joe Mixon Staying at Oklahoma | KFOR.com

Huh? Stoops and OU gave one player (DGB) a second chance that wasn't granted by the NCAA and then punished two players on the team pretty harshly compared to what other programs have done in similar situations (which I think was the right thing to do). How does Stoops look desperate? Desperate coaches usually don't lead the third ranked team in the nation and the most consistently successful program of the century.

Stoops tried everything trick in the book to get all 3 of these guys eligible to play this season. Some of the higher ups {Boren} didn't share that view. My complaint is not with OU {the school} but rather Stoops win at all costs mentality.

BTW, I seriously doubt that DGB will ever play a down for OU. He will be going to the draft next year and has more talent than any other WR in college IMO. He will be a 1st rounder if he's not in the news for something else this year.

Blog Entries

OU Re: OU football 2014

Stoops tried everything trick in the book to get all 3 of these guys eligible to play this season. Some of the higher ups {Boren} didn't share that view. My complaint is not with OU {the school} but rather Stoops win at all costs mentality.

BTW, I seriously doubt that DGB will ever play a down for OU. He will be going to the draft next year and has more talent than any other WR in college IMO. He will be a 1st rounder if he's not in the news for something else this year.
    Stoops couldn't produce that rabbit from the magic hat...

Could it be (?): NCAA has not forgotten the Oklahoma-Georgia sponsored lawsuit that gave the universities & colleges their rights to their own TV revenues? No, most of those associates of that era are not with the NCAA anymore.

NCAA doctored up their response to justify their decision:

Players who run-off but are in good academic standing can gain immediate eligibility, but the NCAA didn’t buy the argument that, because he wasn’t charged in the April incident, he qualified for the special exemption.
    Glad the University of Oklahoma took the high road in respect to the NCAA's decision to deny Dorial Green-Beckham immediate eligibility; let's see if there is some consistency with which the NCAA handles these appeals?

NCAA denies Oklahoma?s appeal seeking immediate eligibility for Dorial Green-Beckham | The Kansas City Star

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

Coach GP at Mizzou didn't want to lose DGB but he made the tough decision to kick him off the team because it was the right thing to do. DGB should have went ahead and gone to Tenn St and played this season and then enter the draft. Stoops begged him to come to OU because he thought he had found a loophole to get him eligible. All this did was hurt DGB because he was ready to head to Tenn St. and get on with it. So Stoops did nothing but hurt the guy and make OU look like a bunch of slimeballs in the process.

Sorry, but the "Stoops win at all costs" comment just doesn't reconcile with reality. You can't assign that label to a coach who kicked the starting quarterback off the team not even a month before the season started when it was found out the guy was taking impermissible benefits on the side (Remember Bomar/2006?)

I realize its fashionable to bash any football coach who has won more than he's lost as some secretly inveterate scumbag who'll recruit whatever slime he can to win , but trying to pin this on Stoops isn't going to stick. Switzer? Back in the day, sure. Stoops took a shot at DGB, it didn't work, and the program still plans to play La Tech next week last I heard...

Stoops tried everything trick in the book to get all 3 of these guys eligible to play this season. Some of the higher ups {Boren} didn't share that view.
    Absurd. Name one verifiable fact that he took any action in these cases other than adapt to whatever process played out.

You can't just make up your own facts. The only player you could even claim Stoops fought to get eligible (no doubt with Boren's support) was DGB and the NCAA decided he was ineligible.

Stoops and Boren jointly supported the harsh penalty for Shannon and decided on the penalty for Mixon. There's no evidence Stoops did anything to try to get either player eligible, much less use "tricks" to win-at-all-costs. You could make a case that Stoops has one of the best track records at NOT winning-at-all-costs and this off season certainly supports his track record that no player is above the program (see Bomar, Quinn, Broyles, Reynolds, Metoyer, Shannon, Mixon and on and on).

On the other hand, these are sensitive issues. Coaches shouldn't just kick these 18-22 year olds to the curb when they mess up. Stoops has a solid track record of giving guys second chances with no room for error who then turned their lives around to be productive citizens (see Dvoracek, McGruder, Broyles, Reynolds).

There are plenty of coaches/programs who have let players with serious violence against men & women (ex: LSU) or rapists (see OSU, Missouri) who have a far more sordid history if you want to make the win-at-all-costs claim. I am certainly not saying Stoops or OU are without mistakes, but your claim isn't supported by the record.

I guess he should have waited til the player is actually found guilty even though he had already been charged before he got to school, ala Gundy with Chris Collins......

Guys...don't feed the troll.

OU game is on pay per view only? lame

23. Default Re: OU football 2014

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	9097

Ok, that was funny.

Wait till the national media gets hold of Mixon tape punching the girl. Not gonna be a pretty site and along with the others Shannon/DGB it's going to get real ugly for OU. Can't believe they didn't cut Mixon and DGB lose.

Thread Information