Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: OU football 2014

Default Re: OU football 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    LOL, just LOL. Someone must be very bored to use a thread that they started about OU to bash OSU. If you have any evidence to dispute any of my posts please present it. I'm an OU graduate who's older than you and totally without any of the OSU animosity than you exhibit at every turn. We can totally support OU without having to knock OSU.
    There is no way you could have very much worth while going on in your life.
    I did not even directly mention osu/pokes yet you make hay out of a lack of anything else better to do.
    What I said about the attendance is a fact.
    The differences is a clear illustration of the facts that exist.... rather you like it or not.

Is anyone else worried about how bad Knight looked on Saturday? He made poor reads and threw into coverage repeatedly. This is exactly how he looked early last season. Heupel even stated that he was having trouble reading coverages - and this was with a vanilla defense that wasn't even mixing things up.

I guess I'm just not totally convinced that the Alabama game wasn't an aberration. Of course, I hope not, but what if Knight isn't better than who we saw for most of last season and in the Red/White game?

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    There is no way you could have very much worth while going on in your life.
    I did not even directly mention osu/pokes yet you make hay out of a lack of anything else better to do.
    What I said about the attendance is a fact.
    The differences is a clear illustration of the facts that exist.... rather you like it or not.
    I see. So when you mentioned that school up north, I'm sure you were referring to Kansas. Right? Never-the-less, it was still a fact that had nothing to do with OU whether (not rather) you like it or not and there was no reason to even mention it unless you just wanted to denigrate OSU. This is just so funny.

And I have enough going on in my life as an OU graduate that I don't find it necessary to bash OSU at every chance and I don't find it necessary to do so in order to support my school.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Is anyone else worried about how bad Knight looked on Saturday? He made poor reads and threw into coverage repeatedly. This is exactly how he looked early last season. Heupel even stated that he was having trouble reading coverages - and this was with a vanilla defense that wasn't even mixing things up.

I guess I'm just not totally convinced that the Alabama game wasn't an aberration. Of course, I hope not, but what if Knight isn't better than who we saw for most of last season and in the Red/White game?
    Heupel is already a huge Baker Mayfield fan. Hard not to be when you look at his high school career at Lake Travis (6,255 passing yards, 67 touchdowns and only 8 interceptions), his incredible walk-on single season career at Texas Tech (missed games with injury and still won the Big 12 Freshman Offensive Player of the Year), and this OU Spring Game where he went 9 for 9, 100+ yards and 2 touchdowns -- and has been with the program for 14 days. But, alas, he isn't eligible until next season. Bob Stoops went out of his way to talk about how that's so unfair to Mayfield. Everything points to him being a 2015/2016 superstar at Oklahoma. He's got NFL arm strength and is about as accurate on paper as any quarterback to set foot on Owen Field. Good article below.

Baker Mayfield Dominates Oklahoma Spring Game, Is He Sooners' Future Star QB?

Knights inconstancy has got to be a concern... He look more like he did early last year.
    I hope part of it is the defense is just that good?
    Another concern is that OU's receivers who were playing were mostly preety young and at times appeared to be having problems getting open.

Head coach Bob Stoops wore a mic during OU's Spring Game telecast to give fans insight and analysis on his team during the action.

SoonerSports.tv - SoonerSports.com

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    Knights inconstancy has got to be a concern... He look more like he did early last year.
    I hope part of it is the defense is just that good?
    Another concern is that OU's receivers who were playing were mostly preety young and at times appeared to be having problems getting open.
    Yeah, but our other QBs, including a kid who should still be in high school, were working with the same players and reading the defense better than Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Heupel is already a huge Baker Mayfield fan. Hard not to be when you look at his high school career at Lake Travis (6,255 passing yards, 67 touchdowns and only 8 interceptions), his incredible walk-on single season career at Texas Tech (missed games with injury and still won the Big 12 Freshman Offensive Player of the Year), and this OU Spring Game where he went 9 for 9, 100+ yards and 2 touchdowns -- and has been with the program for 14 days. But, alas, he isn't eligible until next season. Bob Stoops went out of his way to talk about how that's so unfair to Mayfield. Everything points to him being a 2015/2016 superstar at Oklahoma. He's got NFL arm strength and is about as accurate on paper as any quarterback to set foot on Owen Field. Good article below.

Baker Mayfield Dominates Oklahoma Spring Game, Is He Sooners' Future Star QB?
    Mayfield has looked good so far, but let's not build him up too much. He did lose his job to another freshman at Tech, he only put up average numbers - 12 TDs, 9 INTs - against a really, really weak schedule, and he doesn't have the same upside as the other quarterbacks. Not saying he can't do it, but I'd be surprised.

Blog Entries

If Trevor Knight's can boost his Sugar Bowl performance heading into the 2014 college football season; the Sooners should be okay. Knight is exhibiting signs of maturity. The offensive line is going to be the key in providing Trevor Knight the protection he will need. On the defensive end, Mike Stoops has shown that he can adjust to combat most high powered teams.

A 45-31 win over Alabama Crimson Tide was no fluke. OU backed up Coach Bob Stoops talk about the so-called powerful S.E.C. The Crimson Tide and the Auburn Tigers both went down during the holiday bowl classics.

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

Mayfield has looked good so far, but let's not build him up too much. He did lose his job to another freshman at Tech, he only put up average numbers - 12 TDs, 9 INTs - against a really, really weak schedule, and he doesn't have the same upside as the other quarterbacks. Not saying he can't do it, but I'd be surprised.
    You left out 2315 yards and 218 of 340 in passing before his injury. Again, he won the Big 12 Freshman Offensive Player of the Year!

The kid got screwed at Tech. You can blame an immature, young coach on most of it. Kingsbury has a bright future ahead of him, but his lack of communication with Mayfield after the injury at Kansas was stunning. Tech players watched a healthy Baker Mayfield (who won his five games before getting hurt) sit on the bench while Tech loses a game - and then another, and another, and another, and another. They lost 5 straight games before their bowl win. Mayfield claims, and other players told the Dallas Morning News it was true, that during that time, Kingsbury hadn't spoken with Mayfield but one time. Mayfield asked about a scholarship for the next season and Kingsbury said he would get back with him and again, never did. Nothing was ever said about why Mayfield wasn't back in the lineup after he was healthy. His offensive coordinator would only tell him he that Coach K would talk to him. He never did - even as the Red Raiders were going down week after week. Then Kingsbury acts surprised to find out Baker Mayfield said goodbye to Texas Tech. Tech threatened to make a transfer really tough and they agreed that "miscommunication" would be the answer to the press. The truth was NO communication. Tech never released him and Mayfield came to OU anyway, knowing that without the release, he'd have to sit out the year.

We have a year to wait, but Heupel knows he has somebody special. Stoops is figuring that out as well. When was the last time a walk-on at OU, who has only been with the program for two weeks, got that many snaps in the spring game? Never. And look what he did. He had the same line as Knight and performed like a superstar. Calm and cool and sharp as a knife with his passing. That kid has an arm.

Edit: You know how careful the football program is about who talks to the press in the interview room. Even with his performance, most reporters didn't expect him to be selected to be interviewed. He was - much to the surprise of John Hoover over at the Tulsa World: http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/spor...7a43b2370.html

Yeah, but our other QBs, including a kid who should still be in high school, were working with the same players and reading the defense better than Knight.
    I'm not too worried about Knight though.... In the significant majority of games this season he will only need to be a good game manager..
    More so that in recent years OU will lean more on its run game, defense and a great kicking game.
    OU will have what will probably be its very best FG kicker and punter combination in school history.

HangryHippo Guest

An article in today's Tulsa World is talking about an event that Adrian Peterson is going to be hosting in Norman this summer. In the article, there's a mention of the proceeds being used to fund an OU football scholarship and a new student housing facility. Any idea what new housing facility is being talked about?

Link: OU Sports: Adrian Peterson to endow OU scholarship, help fund new housing facility - Tulsa World: OU Sports

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    An article in today's Tulsa World is talking about an event that Adrian Peterson is going to be hosting in Norman this summer. In the article, there's a mention of the proceeds being used to fund an OU football scholarship and a new student housing facility. Any idea what new housing facility is being talked about?

Link: OU Sports: Adrian Peterson to endow OU scholarship, help fund new housing facility - Tulsa World: OU Sports
    Bump. Anyone know anything about this?

Blog Entries

A man possessed attitude is what Baker Mayfield will bring to the 2014-15 OU Sooners; he's more than a sideline cheerleader. There are several players with this contagious forecast.

Q: When you announced you were leaving and it was rumored you were coming to Oklahoma, the consensus was you’d be crazy to come here (because of Knight’s performance in the Sugar Bowl). So why come here?

A: “One thing I base my whole life on is competition. I think that drives me to be the better person. In high school I wasn’t even supposed to start; just battling throughout that. And even if Blake (Bell) and Kendal (Thompson) still were here and playing quarterback, I think I’d still be here right now pushing myself to be better. Not afraid of competition, and I think that’s just how it goes.”
    The defense will back up the offense.

Join the craziness club: Geneo Grissom, Eric Striker & Zack Sanchez are among the returnees (impacted the 'Sugar Bowl') to beef up the defense. Mike Stoops will have a chance to mold this experience.

Thanks for the link zookeeper.

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

Dean Blevins (take it with a grain of salt) says OU is expanding the stadium by bowling it in and replacing the press box to the tune of $350-400 million (!!!!!): EXCLUSIVE: OU Set To Announce Football Stadium Expansion - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

I have been informed that OU's athletic department is attempting to make this special game train on the link available to OU football fans traveling to Fort Worth for this years TCU game. OU is working with the BNSF on this possible train trip.
    I'm not sure how many people the train would handle but they my be able to stop just a few blocks from the TCU stadium?
    TCU fans took this train to the game in Norman last season.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47104480@N07/10060479904/

Notes On A Scorecard - TCU Horned Frogs Official Athletic Site

Blog Entries

OU Re: OU football 2014

Oklahoma 20 Texas Christian 17

An evening to remember...

Heisman hype: Trevor Knight a 17-1 Favorite to Win Heisman According to One Sports Book | Bleacher Report

It’s the middle of summer and we are starved for information.

This is a nice podcast interview with Bob Stoops
    PodOmatic | Best Free Podcasts

Very good audio OU football commentary from DOK’s Ryan Aber and Jason Kersey

OU stadium renovations on the Board of Regents agenda next week | News OK

Blog Entries

2014 Sugar Bowl Full Game Replay

Oklahoma Sooners
    vs.
    Alabama Crimson Tide

Tonight, Saturday, June 21

ESPNU 7:00 p.m.

Very good article but I really love this part
    Oklahoma football: How does Cale Gundy find the right running backs? By trying to scare them away | News OK

“I really almost try to scare players away when I recruit running backs,” Gundy said in an interview with The Oklahoman.

“When I watch film and I find my running backs that I know have the talent to play here, that’s just half of it. Then you’ve gotta find the character. Then you’ve gotta find out if he’s the fit you want at Oklahoma.”

Gundy tells recruits about Jerry Schmidt’s summer workouts. He tells them there will almost certainly be days when they are mad at him and wish they’d never signed with the Sooners.

“But at the end of the day, at the end of their career, five years from now, 10 years from now, they’ll realize it was the best decision of their life,” Gundy said

I don't think Trevor Knight has the consistency to bring home a Heisman Trophy. Especially when I really believe that even the coaching staff believes he's the second best quarterback on the team. Confused? See this post.

Blog Entries

OU Re: OU football 2014

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    I don't think Trevor Knight has the consistency to bring home a Heisman Trophy. Especially when I really believe that even the coaching staff believes he's the second best quarterback on the team. Confused? See this post.
    Agree!

Let's hope he's not focused on a Heisman. He has exhibited signs of maturity; it doesn't convince me that he's all about team.

Given the circumstances, Trevor Knight will have a crack to secure the quarterback position since Baker Mayfield won't be eligible until 2015-16. Blake Bell moves over to tight end and Kendall Thompson's exodus doesn't give Oklahoma any backup experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Agree!

Let's hope he's not focused on a Heisman. He has exhibited signs of maturity; it doesn't convince me that he's all about team.

Given the circumstances, Trevor Knight will have a crack to secure the quarterback position since Baker Mayfield won't be eligible until 2015-16. Blake Bell moves over to tight end and Kendall Thompson's exodus doesn't give Oklahoma any backup experience.

I agree with you that he should have his attention focused elsewhere.
    A huge key IMHO will be keeping Knight healthy… He has go to learn to protect himself better and he did make improvement s by the Sugar bowl
    Knight or whoever the QB is should be able to lean more on an improved defense and a group unproven running backs that are thought to be among Stoops best ever as a unit. The OL has better depth and its likely going to be the biggest strongest OL unit Stoops has ever had….OU has its very best FG in school history…… Besides # 3 there are good WR and TE prospects….. So there is a lot for Knight to lean on for help…. In most game all Knight needs is to be a game manager and save his self for a few close games.
    OU is favored in every game by the early odds makers.

Thread Information