Widgets Magazine

Thread: DISCUSSION: MWC Structures/Infrastructure - Size, Standards, & Requirments

1. Default DISCUSSION: MWC Structures/Infrastructure - Size, Standards, & Requirments

I left the title pretty vague, but I wanted to start a discussion on the City's infrastructure and structures, along the lines of the requirements, municipal codes, etc. All of this of course along with praises, complaints, likes and dislikes.
    +++++++++

Are there any municipal codes that limit the height of buildings in Midwest City? Its as if everyone is afraid to build higher than 2 stories and most retail centers (besides the big box places) are 1 story with faux 2nd floors or cheaply done uninspired metal awnings. This shouldn't be an issue (building height) for example, Autumn House on Adair Blvd, once a flat roof, now a tall green metal gable roof that adds almost another floor to the structure. It's actually a very nice area since they have made a few improvements.

I know we do have some multi-story buildings in the city like MRMC, MD Medical Tower, the Midwest Physicians Building and Legacy Apartments (actually 3 stories).

Sign height limitations? Why? Is it so that they are not obtrusive to the power lines that the powers that be seem to favor so much of (imo). A little birdy told me that the new sign in front of the city municipal complex is about 2 feet too high for the current sign regulations. Maybe someone can verify that or link to the municipal code that states such height limitations.

My next point, power lines... do we as a city receive some sort of subsidy to have the type of power line infrastructure that we have? Why are we not burying our power lines? If there is some study out there that gives a reason as to why, i'd like to read that too (if not for my own understanding).

Are we not interested in creating structures that will last over time? We have more "house" offices than we have actual office buildings. Don't get me wrong, i'm glad these small business are popping up, but I think a more professional "district" is in order (suggesting the HPM area which could help benefit the restaurants and office retail establishments on that end far from the 29th street area) with actual office buildings and perhaps some mixed retail space.

The original mile, in the revitalization study, there was a suggestion for a nice brick and steel fencing that accented the neighborhood in both a defining boundary for the OM and aesthetic "tone" to set the mood for the look of the overall revitalization project. A few weeks ago they started to put a wall up for this project, but its not the brick and steel fence recommended in the study. Instead, it's the cheap post and slat simulated stone fence in an unfavorable shade of red. IMO, it just looks kinda cheap, which makes the whole project seem cheap. This month (March 2014) they will begin to do the landscaping for the entry ways, pocket parks, and traffic islands. A recent article sites that they have selected types of plants that will require no to low maintenance foliage, which basically means that they will more than likely not be maintained and will succumb to vandals, animals, vehicles and pest, over time.

29th Street Center... the roads are TERRIBLE! This past week they just got done patching all of the pot holes. There are tons of uneven asphalt and were brick crossing are, its like driving over a square speed bump.

Well.. thats all I can think off the top of my head at the moment.

2. Default Re: DISCUSSION: MWC Structures/Infrastructure - Size, Standards, & Requirments

City Building Codes: Codes | City of Midwest City
    Municipal Code: Municode
    APZ Map: Image Map

3. Default Re: DISCUSSION: MWC Structures/Infrastructure - Size, Standards, & Requirments

I don't believe there are any height restrictions for buildings in MWC, only signs. I agree that i think it's horrible that we have so many little house office spaces. It bugs the crap out of me every time i see one of them allowed. Development is great, but bad development is bad. The thing is, this is what happens when the trends allow every tom dick and harry that wants to be a real estate developer, to plop in commercial space in a small footprint. Hence the little crappy 3 shop strip centers MWC is overflowing with as well.

I actually think the fencing looks good...and way better than everyone's crappy chain link or collapsing pickets. And the landscaping only makes sense. How do you justify using city resources to maintain landscaping in TOM but not in other areas? The low/no maint stuff can look good, they just have to use the right stuff. Some shrubbery, crepe myrtles, etc. can go a long way to sprucing (haha pun) up an area without being a resource drain. If you notice, areas like 29th do have sprinker systems in them as well....they're just well hidden. So even that can qualify in the "low" maint world.

I've complained about the state of the Town Center roads as well. At least they did fix the brickwork exiting the areas, but they did a pretty crappy job of grading the roadbed when they paved the area in the first place. It shouldn't be that lumpy day 1.

4. Default Re: DISCUSSION: MWC Structures/Infrastructure - Size, Standards, & Requirments

Bomber,

I know exactly what you mean about the 3 store strip centers popping up all over the place. I'm afraid the entire Douglas Corridor is going to head down the same route. Our city looks like a bad rendition of simscity.

While i'll agree that the new fencing is by far way better than the previous fencing of the individual lots, I would still not prefer to settle for (imo) sub-par quality when we're trying to reinvent the area, it sends out a bad message. I'm afraid we as citizens of this city settle for "sub-par" too much.

I don't believe the city should use 'city' funds to maintain areas in the OM but there are plenty of municipal/civic partnerships that could do such a thing all while growing those civic groups as well. Looking at the upkeep of current medians to me is proof of being a low priority when it comes to city maintenance.

I know we're not Bricktown, but I sure wish we had a design review committee.

5. Default Re: DISCUSSION: MWC Structures/Infrastructure - Size, Standards, & Requirments

Well TOM isn't a income producing area, at least not the part that the project is focusing on. It's totally private housing, so in there lies the difficulty. How do you put effort into revitalizing an area with municipal effort, without making the rest of the city feel like it's unfair? If you start putting up barriers like a review committee, then all you'll find is that developers are unwilling to go there to do their work. A review committee, like Bricktown's, decides if designs by developers meet the area. In this case, the city IS the developer so the committee is city employees that are working the project.

I can totally understand the frustration if it's not what you expected. Only thing I would say there is when is a master plan ever built as designed? Quite often, the funding is lacking for plan A, so plan B has to come in. A cheaper material or something has to make up for the gap. I agree that it would be nice if we could get the local civic groups involved, but unfortunately, those are literally dieing out. Things like the Elks/Moose/Kiwanas/etc. were mostly popular with older generations and the younger folks of today don't join them. So as the members pass away, the group's ability to help support the community falls more and more behind. Those more able to support, like Rotary, have their own pet projects. And for those folks, this wouldn't be a project they would be interested in. It sounds crappy, but based on my experiences with some of the members, I know how they perceive a project focusing on TOM.

I know this sounds like I'm just countering your argument, but I'm on your side. Just thought it might be good to voice, at least what I believe, the reply would be.

6. Default Re: DISCUSSION: MWC Structures/Infrastructure - Size, Standards, & Requirments

Office of the City Manager - Midwest City, OK
    MWC original mile resident's - the Community Development Department is hosting a meeting on Monday, March 17, from 4:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. for the purpose of reviewing the proposed median designs. Staff and consultants will be in attendance to discuss the project and to answer any questions you may have. The meeting will take place in the Charles J. Johnson Building, 8726 SE 15th. For additional information, call 739.1229.

Default Re: DISCUSSION: MWC Structures/Infrastructure - Size, Standards, & Requirments

^^ wish I could go- hopefully MWC will post on website.
    As an OSM resident, I'm thrilled they are finally doing something to fix up the neighborhood. More people drive through in route to Town Center, and a general fix up will hopefully instill more pride by owners which will mean more property upgrades.
    When we added on, tore down garage and built nice carport and re-sided/re-roofed, our neighbors gradually started gliding up. It's contagious!

8. Default Re: DISCUSSION: MWC Structures/Infrastructure - Size, Standards, & Requirments

I need to get around and get some shots of some of the remodeled homes.

I still own the two domains theoriginalmile.com and originalmile.com Need to get a site up to keep up with all the info.

Default Re: DISCUSSION: MWC Structures/Infrastructure - Size, Standards, & Requirments

There are a few hidden gems in the Original Mile. Take a look on Trulia or Zillow they are there and they are pretty nice. As time goes on, many of the houses on Air Depot are being raised and replaced with traditional businesses. I do think MWC needs to look at doing some beautification to Air Depot. It looks tacky with all the power lines and the mishmash of signage. Not every place needs a giant sign out front. A modest sign or ground sign is plenty. Not to mention, they need to get something happening with Heritage Park Mall. It is time to renovate it or redevelop it. I am tired of seeing just sit and rot. That is valuable real estate that could become something special for Midwest City.

10. Default Re: DISCUSSION: MWC Structures/Infrastructure - Size, Standards, & Requirments

There are several gems hidden away in the original mile, and unless you've ever driven through the neighborhood, you would never know they were there.

I do agree, not every place should have a huge sign out by the street and everyone has complained about the power lines for years with no change.

Air Depot does need a beautification, but who is going to pay for it?

Heritage Park Mall is a tough one to think about doing anything to it. Sears is still open and owns that end (with parking lot) , LifeChurch has the other end (with parking lot), and whoever bought the old Montgomery Wards has the backside (with parking lot). Then there is of course the Whataburger, Pelicans, and the Car Repair Station on the other facing street corners of that lot. What we see as Heritage Park Mall and what is actually develop-able at the site, are two different things. The only part that can have anything done to it is the core of the building and front facing parking lot on the south side. A developer would need deep pockets to try and do anything.

11. Default Re: DISCUSSION: MWC Structures/Infrastructure - Size, Standards, & Requirments

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Well TOM isn't a income producing area, at least not the part that the project is focusing on. It's totally private housing, so in there lies the difficulty. How do you put effort into revitalizing an area with municipal effort, without making the rest of the city feel like it's unfair? If you start putting up barriers like a review committee, then all you'll find is that developers are unwilling to go there to do their work. A review committee, like Bricktown's, decides if designs by developers meet the area. In this case, the city IS the developer so the committee is city employees that are working the project.

I can totally understand the frustration if it's not what you expected. Only thing I would say there is when is a master plan ever built as designed? Quite often, the funding is lacking for plan A, so plan B has to come in. A cheaper material or something has to make up for the gap. I agree that it would be nice if we could get the local civic groups involved, but unfortunately, those are literally dieing out. Things like the Elks/Moose/Kiwanas/etc. were mostly popular with older generations and the younger folks of today don't join them. So as the members pass away, the group's ability to help support the community falls more and more behind. Those more able to support, like Rotary, have their own pet projects. And for those folks, this wouldn't be a project they would be interested in. It sounds crappy, but based on my experiences with some of the members, I know how they perceive a project focusing on TOM.

I know this sounds like I'm just countering your argument, but I'm on your side. Just thought it might be good to voice, at least what I believe, the reply would be.
    Bomber, I havn't forgot, i will reply to you, lol.

mmonroe: I want my two dollars.
    Well, actually, I wanted to politely remind you to share, if you care to and have the time, your big ideas for MWC.
    I realize this is not your job / money maker, but I am still interested, if you are, as well.

http://www.okctalk.com/midwest-city-...-maps-mwc.html
    Quote Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post
    If you guys will give me a month, (this is pushing me to move forward now with it), I have a few proposed ideas for midwest city i've had for a little while and have put it on the back burner of my 20% pile. I'll get these presentable and you can ooh and ahh over them, or hate them. You might see some surprises you've never thought of before.
    Do we have a link to this information yet? Also, I have not forgotten about this project, but like I said, it's a big project, lol.
    4th quarter is my busy season. Still not forgot about this. Figured out the perfect way to put this together, should have something up before Christmas.
    Trust me, the interest is still there. Plus, how are you going to contend with the passenger rail traffic from Tulsa?

13. Default Re: DISCUSSION: MWC Structures/Infrastructure - Size, Standards, & Requirments

I haven't forgotten this either and have secretly being piecing it together on www.midwest-city.net which is not ready for public viewing as of yet, all in spare time.

I will give a few details away, i've outlined projects based on square miles of the city, the first one i'll share is what i'm calling "Mile 0" as a working title. It encompasses the square mile that is 29th and Sooner at the SW and diagonally to 15th and Air Depot on the NE. This order styling came from the idea of the original mile revitalization project and with Midwest City being roughly 26sq miles, there are 26 "mile" areas with different ideas and project samples as well as my own opinion and commentary for the future. The time consuming part is the detailed map outlying the sample ideas. It's been a long time.

14. Default Re: DISCUSSION: MWC Structures/Infrastructure - Size, Standards, & Requirments

Cool idea mmonroe! I can't wait to see! Let me know if you would like any help with it, I've got a fair bit of web design under my belt.

I haven't forgotten this either and have secretly being piecing it together on www.midwest-city.net which is not ready for public viewing as of yet, all in spare time.

I will give a few details away, i've outlined projects based on square miles of the city, the first one i'll share is what i'm calling "Mile 0" as a working title. It encompasses the square mile that is 29th and Sooner at the SW and diagonally to 15th and Air Depot on the NE. This order styling came from the idea of the original mile revitalization project and with Midwest City being roughly 26sq miles, there are 26 "mile" areas with different ideas and project samples as well as my own opinion and commentary for the future. The time consuming part is the detailed map outlying the sample ideas. It's been a long time.

Thread Information