Widgets Magazine

Thread: Housing Near Downtown

Default Housing Near Downtown

For the most part, discussion on the board has centered on urban housing options such as condos, apartments, and the high-end architectural homes of SOSA and the like. However, it's clear there's much value and quality-of-life to be found in the old single family homes just a short walk or bike ride from downtown.

I'm interested in getting a thread started on this topic. I envision a diverse range of discussion including general advise seekers(current & prospective homeowners), project updates from the historic preservation board(new construction/renovations), neighborhood goings-on, and anything else pertinent.

Previously I put together this map of the neighborhood boundaries(East of Classen). I will update it soon to include other neighborhoods such as Classen 10-Penn, Gatewood, Crestwood, etc. as they should all be part of the discussion(historically designated or otherwise).

http://goo.gl/maps/qQVPO

If you have any thoughts on the subject, please throw it out there. Otherwise, I will have an ongoing conversation with myself for a while and then give up. Internet.

Default Re: Housing Near Downtown

I don't see anything boring about single family housing. If I were younger I might well buy in Classen-Ten-Penn or Gatewood to be near the Plaza. I'm sure there are some great housing values and definitely interesting old homes.

I for one would absolutely love to relocate myself in this general area. For a while now I've been wondering about condos and the like a bit closer into downtown, but from my limited research unless I want to rent it doesn't look like there is much that will be in my potential price range (150 or a bit lower).

Took out "boring." Wasn't intended as a negative connotation.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I for one would absolutely love to relocate myself in this general area. For a while now I've been wondering about condos and the like a bit closer into downtown, but from my limited research unless I want to rent it doesn't look like there is much that will be in my potential price range (150 or a bit lower).
    There are occasionally condos at sycamore square or classen glen that might fit your range. Renting isn't so bad, for the short term. How much sq footage do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    There are occasionally condos at sycamore square or classen glen that might fit your range. Renting isn't so bad, for the short term. How much sq footage do you need?
    Fairly committed bachelor here, so just a one bedroom minimum for the time being. It wouldn't have be particularly large, though I wouldn't turn my nose up at something larger if the price fit.

I'm not really interested in renting, been there done that. I'd like to start getting some cash into a mortgage.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Fairly committed bachelor here, so just a one bedroom minimum for the time being. It wouldn't have be particularly large, though I wouldn't turn my nose up at something larger if the price fit.

I'm not really interested in renting, been there done that. I'd like to start getting some cash into a mortgage.
    Gotcha. There was a smallish 1br at Lofts at Maywood a while back, I think it was 150-160ish. The best deal would be something at Harvey lofts opening, they seem great, and are on a pretty quiet corner. Good luck, and take your time. You'll find it.

I must say I see a lot of potential in Jefferson Park. You can still get a reasonably decent house(though all of them typically need some work) for under $100k, and on the right day $50-60k.

I like it because it is centrally located in proximity to nearly all of the city's urban pockets(aside from plaza district) and has nice north/south access to all via established neighborhoods. From the heart of that neighborhood, you are:

2 blocks from Paseo
    3 blocks from 23rd St. (soon to be a major selling point)
    16 blocks from the heart of Midtown(Plaza Court - home of Mcnellies, etc.)
    20 blocks from the heart of Western ave (accessible without touching more than a few blocks of pavement via the lovely park route of Sparrow Park, Guy James Park, Edgemere Park, Crown Heights Park)
    20 blocks from A-alley
    30 blocks from the heart of Downtown

Additionally, the neighborhood is anchored by 2 of the nicest historic neighborhoods in the city - Edgemere Park to the immediate north and Heritage Hills to the immediate South.

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    I must say I see a lot of potential in Jefferson Park. You can still get a reasonably decent house(though all of them typically need some work) for under $100k, and on the right day $50-60k.

I like it because it is centrally located in proximity to nearly all of the city's urban pockets(aside from plaza district) and has nice north/south access to all via established neighborhoods. From the heart of that neighborhood, you are:

2 blocks from Paseo
    3 blocks from 23rd St. (soon to be a major selling point)
    16 blocks from the heart of Midtown(Plaza Court - home of Mcnellies, etc.)
    20 blocks from the heart of Western ave (accessible without touching more than a few blocks of pavement via the lovely park route of Sparrow Park, Guy James Park, Edgemere Park, Crown Heights Park)
    20 blocks from A-alley
    30 blocks from the heart of Downtown

Additionally, the neighborhood is anchored by 2 of the nicest historic neighborhoods in the city - Edgemere Park to the immediate north and Heritage Hills to the immediate South.
    I keep looking there for a good project house. I think it would be fun (any by fun, I mean painful) and rewarding to restore an old place.

I'm really interested in the Classen-Ten-Penn area and the renaissance happening there. It's exciting seeing this inner neighborhoods reinvigorated.

I rented in Mesta Park for a few years and it was the best location ever. However, it was out of my price range when looking to buy. My girlfriend and I now live in a bungalow in Jefferson Park that she bought in 2007 (the same year it was built) by Jefferson Homes. There are a lot of great deals to be had in this neighborhood and for the price, it is the best location I could imagine. We rarely drive to a restaurant or bar.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    I'm really interested in the Classen-Ten-Penn area and the renaissance happening there. It's exciting seeing this inner neighborhoods reinvigorated.
    Classen-Ten-Penn has enormous potential. In my mind it is the equivalent of Paseo / Jefferson Park of 10-15 years ago. You can readily get a house for $20-50k and have yourself a sound investment with a little elbow grease. Proximity to the Plaza District makes its transformation inevitable, in my opinion.

In most cities these types of opportunities don't exist anymore. These homes, though often times requiring much rehab, are selling for less than the cost of replacement(and in many cases less than the cost of land).

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    I rented in Mesta Park for a few years and it was the best location ever. However, it was out of my price range when looking to buy. My girlfriend and I now live in a bungalow in Jefferson Park that she bought in 2007 (the same year it was built) by Jefferson Homes. There are a lot of great deals to be had in this neighborhood and for the price, it is the best location I could imagine. We rarely drive to a restaurant or bar.
    Nice. It's important to note that there has been(and continues to be) a lot of new construction in these neighborhoods as well.

On this months historic preservation docket, I see an application for a nice looking new build at 529 NW 25. In the Paseo, one block west of the J-Park border.

http://www.okc.gov/planning/planning...A-13-00194.pdf

That's awesome. They're doing a really good job of preserving all the charm of the neighborhood. While remodeling our kitchen recently we had several contractors guess our home was built in the 1930s and they were all shocked when we would tell them it was built in 2007.

New home application: 921 NW 16. Mesta Park.

http://www.okc.gov/AgendaPub/cache/2...4105026785.PDF

16. Default Re: Housing Near Downtown

Link goes nowhere, but from the graphic appears to be district-sensitive, which is required in Mesta.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Link goes nowhere, but from the graphic appears to be district-sensitive, which is required in Mesta.
    This should work: http://www.okc.gov/AgendaPub/view.as...fileid=2209150

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    Only for today. SIRE (OKC's agenda management system) recreates its links daily...

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Only for today. SIRE (OKC's agenda management system) recreates its links daily...
    No that's a direct link to page caching system. If you watch the URL it will change after you click on it, the page it redirects you to is the daily cached link. So the link he posted will work forever, because it will regenerate the cache after you hit the page.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    No that's a direct link to page caching system. If you watch the URL it will change after you click on it, the page it redirects you to is the daily cached link. So the link he posted will work forever, because it will regenerate the cache after you hit the page.
    Someone needs to explain that to the City then... I've been told that no links are permanent on SIRE.

Well they are kind of correct.

The way around that is to right click the link on the city's website, and select Copy Link Address.

The link address takes you to SIRE's cache generator.

If you select the link from your URL bar, it displays the cached link which won't work after a day.

The caching page takes all of the HTTP data from the link (where it has the question marks and data tags), locates the file from the data, creates a cached copy of it, and then redirects you to the cached file, before you recognize you have been redirected.

As long as you link directly to the caching page (with the question marks and data in the URL address) it will work because you are sending the person to the actual page that creates the cached version, and not the cached version itself.

I'm familiar with this lot. Supposedly the previous structure was destroyed in a fire decades ago. The lot is very narrow, and this house will not occupy the entire width of it. I.e. this will be a very narrow house. I am surprised that they didn't make the garage open onto the alleyway behind the house. That would have alleviated the need for driveway access to the backyard and allowed a wider structure on the property.

Thread Information