Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: City Garden (formerly Bleu Garten)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Bleu Garten

I just shared a couple of pretzels from Twist that showed up a little while ago. Yum! Maybe there will be some flexibility to their schedule.

2. Default Re: Bleu Garten

Could the lack of trucks be contributed to this new Independent Food Truck Alliance I keep hearing some of the trucks menion on their social media feeds?

Haven't found any details on it anywhere but keep seeing it mentioned by them.

3. Default Re: Bleu Garten

Honestly, I think there is some overreaction here. They had 400 people show up for their first lunch, midweek. It's unreasonable to anticipate that would have happened.

A more reasonable guess might have been 100-200, which still would have been spectacular, yet a single truck could have easily handled it. Much worse would have been for a nice crowd of 100 people to show and five trucks to have been there, sitting on their hands and wondering why they bothered. I'm sure you will see more trucks next week.

At the same time after the "new" wears off I wouldn't expect more than 1-2 on weekday lunch times; if they overbook it won't be profitable for the trucks, and that profitability is important for the them, for the venue AND for the customers.

4. Default Re: Bleu Garten

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Honestly, I think there is some overreaction here. They had 400 people show up for their first lunch, midweek. It's unreasonable to anticipate that would have happened.

A more reasonable guess might have been 100-200, which still would have been spectacular, yet a single truck could have easily handled it. Much worse would have been for a nice crowd of 100 people to show and five trucks to have been there, sitting on their hands and wondering why they bothered. I'm sure you will see more trucks next week.

At the same time after the "new" wears off I wouldn't expect more than 1-2 on weekday lunch times; if they overbook it won't be profitable for the trucks, and that profitability is important for the them, for the venue AND for the customers.
    How is it 'unreasonable' to think they would have the turnout they had? Look at the attendance of other promoted food truck events and to me it was obvious it was going to be a large turnout. Sure this wasn't an 'event' in the same sense the nighttime food truck gatherings are - but there was plenty of press regarding the grand opening and the soft openings drew good size crowds too.

We only drove by at 12:40 because we assumed it would be very busy and we might not want to wait - but we also figured several trucks would be there and thought there might be a chance of getting something different.

I'm only knocking the fact I think this was a missed opportunity that leads to some less than stellar word-of-mouth. Sure they can make up for it, but my marketing side says the opening was not planned well. This isn't hindsight, this to me was simply obvious and not recognized.

Regardless, I plan to attend and think it should do well, I just hope there is more variety and better planning going forward.

Looking at the psoted calendar, I'm not really seeing a lack of trucks. Next week is mostly booked, and I imagine October will fill up once the truck owners get a feel for how much of a success for them this is or isn't.

This is probably unreasonable since there is most likely an outside food policy, but it seems a vendor could roll up near the joint and steal customers without actually paying for the BG truck slot - especially if they know the trucks inside are overwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    This is probably unreasonable since there is most likely an outside food policy, but it seems a vendor could roll up near the joint and steal customers without actually paying for the BG truck slot - especially if they know the trucks inside are overwhelmed.
    Interesting thought. But can any food truck simply pull over to any empty curb space, fire up a generator, and just start dishing up their grub? I have no idea, but it seems like if this is an available option these folks would be out in force near the arena or Bricktown or the zooamp or other people packed places quite regularly. Perhaps they are. Hermit that I have become again, it could definitely escape my notice.

https://twitter.com/BleuGarten/statu...97664696561664

We will only be open for dinner tonight to prep for our first Friday !
    Well, that explains why they don't have anyone booked for lunch today.

Are they charging food trucks a fee to park there? Does anyone know? Maybe thats why there werent many trucks there for the opening? Because some trucks actually charge to come somewhere, especially if they dont hit a sales quota. IDK, just speculating.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Are they charging food trucks a fee to park there? Does anyone know? Maybe thats why there werent many trucks there for the opening? Because some trucks actually charge to come somewhere, especially if they dont hit a sales quota. IDK, just speculating.
    Yes, they charge but it's not much.

Hunter from BG has said they will make most their money from the bar.

Blog Entries

I was there on Wednesday night. It's a really special "place". So much good will come of this.

People are overreacting.

1. This is the first food truck venue in OKC (the state?)

2. Thursday afternoon in midtown -- I wouldn't guess that so many people would show up. Could understand Friday or Saturday night launch.

3. Trucks may have been a little hesitant because they were unsure of how many people would show up, and/or had better opportunities somewhere else in the city.

This is uncharted territory, they are literally figuring out the demand as they go. It will probably take an entire year (as the seasons change so does the demand) to get the number and types of trucks matched up to the demand.

And again, as with anything, you're better off having long lines for limited product on opening day, instead of way more product than people. There is no single greatest advertisement than a line of people waiting for something.

13. Default Re: Bleu Garten

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    People are overreacting.

1. This is the first food truck venue in OKC (the state?)

2. Thursday afternoon in midtown -- I wouldn't guess that so many people would show up. Could understand Friday or Saturday night launch.

3. Trucks may have been a little hesitant because they were unsure of how many people would show up, and/or had better opportunities somewhere else in the city.

This is uncharted territory, they are literally figuring out the demand as they go. It will probably take an entire year (as the seasons change so does the demand) to get the number and types of trucks matched up to the demand.

And again, as with anything, you're better off having long lines for limited product on opening day, instead of way more product than people. There is no single greatest advertisement than a line of people waiting for something.
    Exactly. Obviously BBates disagrees here, but I maintain 400 for an opening lunch - midweek in Downtown - has probably not happened anywhere, ever, other than Nebu.

Grasping at Straws- BBates

This is going to be a huge, monumental, smash success for OKC. Everybody I know is talking about this. This is the kind of thing that makes a city cool, hip, and attractive to millennials.

Thinking about trying it this evening, maybe after the dinner rush, but I'm expecting it to be absolutely mobbed. What is the capacity of the venue?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    This is going to be a huge, monumental, smash success for OKC. Everybody I know is talking about this. This is the kind of thing that makes a city cool, hip, and attractive to millennials.
    Definitely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Thinking about trying it this evening, maybe after the dinner rush, but I'm expecting it to be absolutely mobbed. What is the capacity of the venue?
    Their occupancy permit indicates a max of 650.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post

Definitely agree.
    H&8th is tonight so that entire area will be packed. Just a head's up.

The long line yesterday sent a great message to trucks about demand, thus them being booked for the next week.

why am I not surprised BBates is disappointed in something.

Hunter was and is very aware of the "less than stellar word of mouth" which is why yesterday he handed out free drink tickets to people due to the line being so long. BBates I'm sure you were flawless on your first day of work. Please teach Hunter more.

22. Default Re: Bleu Garten

Quote Originally Posted by oakhollow View Post
    Hunter was and is very aware of the "less than stellar word of mouth" which is why yesterday he handed out free drink tickets to people due to the line being so long. BBates I'm sure you were flawless on your first day of work. Please teach Hunter more.
    Boo Hoo, stop wearing it on your sleeve. Mine or anyone else's 'first day of work' is absolutely meaningless in this conversation and unless you're a teenager you should already know that.

I'm sure Hunter knows what went well and what could have been done or planned better. None of which matters at this point. Fortunately its a great location, great concept and takes advantage of an already popular activity. It was a missed opportunity - nothing more, nothing less and won't matter much in the coming weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by oakhollow View Post
    We're talking about free cokes and pepsi's right? There are ABLE no-nos...

24. Default Re: Bleu Garten

Not all food truck operators do this as their only income. Some have full time or part time jobs and this is a side project they hope can become their main source of income. Hunter is giving them that place that will help them get closer to that freedom. I went to the soft open and even though there was only one food truck, we had a great time and got to try a cocktail for free. Once all the food truck operators see the success of this place, they will be able to start scheduling with Hunter.

Also, with the remark of someone parking near the Bleu Garten to be competition, Hunter is not making money of the percentage he gets from the food trucks, he gets it from the liquor sales. So I bet he doesn't mind a few food trucks down the road from him, as long as those people bring the food in and have a seat and buy a beer.

25. Default Re: Bleu Garten

If someone goes to H&8th take some pics of Bleu. I'm sure it will just be insanely packed.

As for me I think I will wait a few weeks for the new to wear off and avoid H&8th nights

Thread Information