Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: City Garden (formerly Bleu Garten)

Default Re: Bleu Garten

I thought you people hated billboards lol!

*insert appropriate "What do you mean, you people?" image here*

3. Default Re: Bleu Garten

Man, I tried to make a modular(shipping container based) bathroom and was told by the city there was no way no how to get a bldg permit. I guess the trick is that since it's it's pre-fabricated off-site so...you don't need a permit? But the water/sewer/electric? How do you pull major sub contracts?

I'm happy in the end with a detached stick building for heating, cooling, slab and plumbing purposes. But I'd love to know how you got the city to permit it. No one ever wants to set precedent. Especially committee; was this urban design overlay?

^

This project fell under the purview of the Downtown Design Review Committee, which is a different body than the Urban Design Commission for Uptown.

However, the building codes are the same.

Hunter just told me they are still on track to open on Sept. 20th. Hopefully, that holds.

Also, the very popular 6 Degrees of Bacon is happening October 16th in the parking lot behind Midtown Vets and Bleu Garten will host the after party.

6 Degrees of Bacon | DowntownOKC

Once this is open along with Fassler Hall / Dust Bowl, I think Midtown will have reached critical mass. Much more to come of course, but it's pretty clear the ball is rolling downhill now and it seems to be picking up pace.

If Midtown Renaissance develops the lot just east of GoGo Sushi, that will mean 10th will be pretty well filled in all the way from Classen to I-235. There is going to be great synergy all along there, with plenty of residential units, offices and other businesses all feeding into this strip.

The next two big bridges that need to be filled in are between 10th and lower Auto Alley & Deep Deuce and 10th and the CBD. It's happening, but still some pretty good gaps in there that still cause people to see these areas as completely separate. The streetcar will certainly accelerate the needed infill.

Gravel has gone down; they are hoping to get their certificate of occupancy next week:

7. Default Re: Bleu Garten

Is that a tether tire pole in the middle of that picture? That could be an interesting game to pass the time.

Gas line for the fire pit?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Gas line for the fire pit?
    Low voltage for speakers. We do have a fire pit gas line that is right of the shot.

Hunter just told me they are now shooting for a 9/27 opening date.

Here are some recent photos... Love the cocktails painted on the table tops and giant Jenga:

11. Default Re: Bleu Garten

I know they have talked about possibly showing movies, but are there any plans to show football, basketball games, etc.? I think this would be an awesome setting with college football heating up.

Looks like they are pretty much finished; just waiting on final permits (thanks Will!):

Looks like they are pretty much finished; just waiting on final permits (thanks Will!):

Does something like Bleu Garten have to get an occupancy permit since it is technically an outdoor space?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Does something like Bleu Garten have to get an occupancy permit since it is technically an outdoor space?
    I'm sure they have to get an occupancy permit but they also have to final inspections for plumbing, electrical and the like.

I believe they had to run an additional water line and that's why they won't open until next week.

15. Default Re: Bleu Garten

I wonder how busy this place will be on a consistent basis?

I really like the whole food truck deal but H&8th has gotten a bit too large.

They are going to absolutely kill it.

Great concept, they have clearly done their homework and done things in a quality way... Thousands of people already following their progress.

I smell a complete home run.

I really hope this will be non-smoking as discussed earlier. If not, I could see it turning some people off.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I really hope this will be non-smoking as discussed earlier. If not, I could see it turning some people off.
    I wonder if this is why Americans don't travel?

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Actually -- as you are aware -- the smoking laws in Europe are generally much tougher than Oklahoma.

What do you mean? Because we don't like smoke we don't travel? My wife and I went to Paris where everyone smokes and met plenty of tourists there (obviously).

Actually -- as you are aware -- the smoking laws in Europe are generally much tougher than Oklahoma.
    Not the places I went. I've never seen so many people light up in my life. My parents have always smoked, so it doesn't particularly bother me, but I've lived relatively far away from it for the past 5 years and was absolutely shocked at how many people over there smoke (most roll their own cigarettes). At worst, they're about the same. I can't say I went to a ton of restaurants as I ate probably too many kebabs and pizza and German bread, but a good 1/3 to 1/2 the Europeans I hung out with smoked, and I remember at least a few of them smoking when they were out of the hostel.

Not sure about the actual laws, but not sure they're particularly relevant to the discussion.

Smoking rates are lower in the UK, Ireland and France than the U.S. And they all have strict country-wide bans.

And of course, within the U.S., Oklahoma has one of the highest smoking rates of any state.

23. Default Re: Bleu Garten

I wouldn't lump all of Europe together, with Eastern European countries leading the world in cigarette consumption per capita.

Not really sure how it is relevant to traveling, though.

Are you speaking domestically, internationally, or both? If you are speaking internationally, a European can hit many countries by auto or train. Outside of Mexico and Canada, US citizens are not travelling internationally by land. And Mexico is not even accessed by train or car in significant numbers. For an Oklahoman going to Texas, it would be like a Czech going to Slovakia. Due to geographic considerations it seems apples and oranges.

Smoking rates are lower in the UK, Ireland and France than the U.S. And they all have strict country-wide bans.

And of course, within the U.S., Oklahoma has one of the highest smoking rates of any state.
    I was in Austria, Czech Republic, Poland, and Germany.

Oklahoma may have one of the highest smoking rates in the country, but publicly it pales in comparison to what I've seen in my time out of the country.

Anyways, it was a rhetorical question guys…I'm taking a jab at our culture of "I can't be bothered to be around things that I find less than enjoyable". If others smoking outside bothers someone so much that they won't go and enjoy what is going to be a fantastic development, then…well…nevermind.

[Disclaimer: I do not smoke cigarettes, and I really would prefer people find another vice as I find it to be a complete waste of money and the health detractions are obvious and well documented]

Thread Information