Widgets Magazine
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: OKC Energy FC

Default Re: OKC Energy FC

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the stadium is already funded and approved
    I recall the stadium is in the latest MAPS, but I think it could be 6 years or longer before construction begins.

Blog Entries

When you go back through the venues subcommittee agendas for the whole year it's been all downtown arena and fairgrounds colliseum. When you look at the MAPS4 implementation plan, regarding the multipurpose stadium, Q4 2022 is pre-design, 2023-24 is design and site selection, and 2025-26 is construction.

FWIW, if they do come back, I don't believe there's anything preventing them from playing at Taft until the MAPS 4 stadium has been completed. As far as I know they have to pay a fine every game they play at Taft due to the field not being regulation-sized (this is also why they have to play in Norman on the rare occasions that they host U.S. Open Cup matches), but since there are concrete plans/funding for a new stadium, they're not at risk of being booted from the USL.

Blog Entries

Energy FC Re: OKC Energy FC

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    sweet

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    FWIW, if they do come back, I don't believe there's anything preventing them from playing at Taft until the MAPS 4 stadium has been completed. As far as I know they have to pay a fine every game they play at Taft due to the field not being regulation-sized (this is also why they have to play in Norman on the rare occasions that they host U.S. Open Cup matches), but since there are concrete plans/funding for a new stadium, they're not at risk of being booted from the USL.
    Right, and best case, we are still several years away from a stadium even starting, let alone being ready for business.

This is scheduled for the tail-end of MAPS 4, which means it could easily be 10 years before it could host the Energy or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Right, and best case, we are still several years away from a stadium even starting, let alone being ready for business.

This is scheduled for the tail-end of MAPS 4, which means it could easily be 10 years before it could host the Energy or anything else.
    I’ve also heard rumors that part of the current renovations involve removing the track and moving the track facility to the east side of the high school, north of the current baseball field. This would then allow for a regulation-sized field at Taft. Possibly something to look into, though admittedly they are just rumors from people who are more closely connected to the Energy than myself.

I’ve also heard rumors that part of the current renovations involve removing the track and moving the track facility to the east side of the high school, north of the current baseball field. This would then allow for a regulation-sized field at Taft. Possibly something to look into, though admittedly they are just rumors from people who are more closely connected to the Energy than myself.
    I doubt this is going to happen since the whole reason Taft was out of commission this summer was for the installation of a new field and track.

Blog Entries

Recent rode by NW Classen and it looked like the track looked new, maybe the taft kids will use that one instead?

I Doubt it because OKCPS use Taft Stadium for Track Meets and NW Classen doesn't have a stadium on campus.

Someone more connected than me should do some actual digging but from what I’m hearing this team is not coming back in 2023.

Blog Entries

Someone more connected than me should do some actual digging but from what I’m hearing this team is not coming back in 2023.
    If Energy FC doesn't return in 2023, let's face it--its not going to return. Many of us posters predicted when he sat out 2022, he had no plans to return.

Sad that he was asked his input on selection of the MAPS 4 Multipurpose Stadium. Bob Funk Jr., acknowledged that he wanted the least expensive stadium--he made that selection because he knew the Energy FC was through.

All the talk about moving Energy FC to MLS; what a disappointment for soccer fans.

Every sports endeavor the Funks' have been involved with have never exceeded the lowest bar of expectations.

https://www.energyfc.com/news_article/show/1248298

wont return for 2023, or anytime until the new stadium is built.

DIdnt this owner promise to bring a MLS team in if a new stadium was built? i wouldnt hold your breath.

There really isn't a single venue in all of OKC that cant host them? its a shame that the Energy probably won't ever return

I mean FC Tulsa plays on their minor league baseball field. There has to be something

Huge bummer.

I think the ownership is not trying too hard either. The Bricktown ballpark can work for a couple years as it is the case in several cities. (Tulsa, St Pete and El Paso)

Hopefully they will sell the Franchise and someone can have it restarted in USL championship or even USL 1.

That release says a stadium won't be ready until 2026. That seems very optimistic considering the related MAPS 4 committee hasn't even met, let alone selected a site.

They can build a temporary facility (there was a plan at Chisholm Creek which they dropped) they have just chosen not to.

So a semi pro football team or what ever that is called can put a stadium in a mall parking lot but the FC Energy can't or work with the ball park. How bid is Yukon football stadium? Like others have said what is wrong with bricktown ballpark.

Death rattle.

Forgive me if I’m wrong, but didn’t the same owners also help usher in the end of minor league hockey in OKC?

Funny how they completely folded their tent not long after taxpayers became obligated to pay $37 million toward a new stadium.

Now, they can just go on hiatus until they get something the citizens are paying for. And you can bet there will be a lot more than $37 million of public money spent on this project.

This feels very wrong to me.

But hey, Bob Funk Jr. was just profiled by the Oklahoman as a Gen Xer "rising up as next wave of civic leaders guiding OKC's future aspirations". When Lackmeyer writes a ridiculous puff piece like that, you can be sure the subject is playing him in order to get out ahead of some bad news and/or to help lobby for something they want from taxpayers.

Also, when you put out a press release late on Friday afternoon, you are purposely trying to bury news while at the same time giving the appearance of being forthright.

This whole thing stinks.

22. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

Can we all agree the Funks should never attempt to run a sports team ever again?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    Can we all agree the Funks should never attempt to run a sports team ever again?
    Their track record speaks for itself. Doesn't seem like they are willing to make the long-term commitment to sustain a franchise and invest in building the fan base for the OKC soccer community.

Funks should put the franchise up for sale.

Blog Entries

This was a layout that Bouchard used showing that Bricktown Ballpark could be used as a temporary solution because it has the regulation
    dimensions for USL with chair back seats.

Using this model, much like Tulsa has done with ONEOK Field, riser-type seating could be constructed from the left outfield
    giving fans a closer view with a nice seating capacity closer to 10,000 or more.

Access to Bricktown Entertainment District would offer fans restaurant amenities and better parking than you have
    at Taft Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

This was a layout that Bouchard used showing that Bricktown Ballpark could be used as a temporary solution because it has the regulation
    dimensions for USL with chair back seats.

Using this model, much like Tulsa has done with ONEOK Field, riser-type seating could be constructed from the left outfield
    giving fans a closer view with a nice seating capacity closer to 10,000 or more.

Access to Bricktown Entertainment District would offer fans restaurant amenities and better parking than you have
    at Taft Stadium.

This seems like an obvious solution to this whole thing.

Thread Information