Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Energy FC

1. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    My favorite part:
    I'm glad they threw that in there. I have a feeling some people are going to get a rude awakening when they show up there.

Default Re: OKC Energy FC

not sure how rowdy people will get with no alcohol during the game.

someone really needs to get a keg or two in the parking lot to the north of Mcguinness and tailgate tailgate there

but i thought the Energy were backed by right wing relgious plutocrats, how could they ever allow such behavior in a fan section?

Just snuck in and was able to get season tix for my wife and I, very pumped! we do have a couple of games we'll be out of town, so we'll be looking to sell if anyone is interested in single game tickets for May 10th and then possibly Aug 24th

moved to proper thread

5. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

That is the NASL team.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    That is the NASL team.
    Sorry... I moved that.

Just learned that Prodigal (Energy FC owners) are seeking prelinimary construction bids for a 7,000 seat stadium with concession stands, BAR and restaurant areas.

Just in the early planning stages and haven't specified a site as of yet.

Saw an Energy FC ad on Hulu the other day.

There is an Energy supporters group on Twitter called The Grid: https://twitter.com/TheGridOKC

They are organizing a walk over to the match from 51st Street Speakeasy.

Also, in perhaps a very telling sign, Downtown OKC Inc. is heavily involved in promoting the club.

There is a lawn party at Chesapeake with free parking in Structure 4 and a shuttle to and from the match.

10. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

Kind of a side story but an interesting read. The USL will be a nice addition to the sports landscape here in OKC, but I don't think they should build a 20K+ soccer specific stadium (probably with a lot of taxpayer money) just to get the MLS. its not like the best players in the world come to the MLS like the other pro sports in this country. Just think we need to be cautious about over saturation

MLS Expands To Atlanta, Because The Quality Of Play Was Just Too High

I also have concerns about over expansion of MLS diluting play (just when the level of play was getting to a respectable level) but there is something to be said about the growth of the domestic game and the thought that in a few years having this many teams won't produce bad soccer.

I feel like I've seen a ton of advertising for this club. I'm not a soccer fan personally, but it will be interesting to see how it does.

They have spent a ton of time and money on promotion, that's for sure.

Only way they could justify this expense is to reach the MLS at some point.

Just got my tix for Saturday. I was surprised at how few were left! As it is, I'll bring a flask (or something) and I'm definitely bringing my vuvuzela. Can't commit to season tickets, but I hope to get in a few games this season. I've seen ads everywhere and I'm excited to see where this goes.

It seems the original has been taken down, but how about the Energy adapt this OKC Thunder chant that never caught on:

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Kind of a side story but an interesting read. The USL will be a nice addition to the sports landscape here in OKC, but I don't think they should build a 20K+ soccer specific stadium (probably with a lot of taxpayer money) just to get the MLS. its not like the best players in the world come to the MLS like the other pro sports in this country. Just think we need to be cautious about over saturation

MLS Expands To Atlanta, Because The Quality Of Play Was Just Too High
    Just something to chew on. The newest teams, NYCFC and Atlanta, don't have soccer specific stadiums. I even think the fact that Atlanta won't be having one is mentioned in the article you linked. NYCFC will play at Yankees stadium until they get a stadium build, supposedly. Also, several current teams, such as Seattle, do not play in soccer specific stadiums (and that rule was in effect when they joined as well, I believe). I think at one time, it was a requirement, but now it's really just a talking point.

If OKC built something similar to what they have in several places (KC and Houston I believe), it could be build with a heavy soccer influence, but can accommodate many other things, like concerts, other sporting events, etc.

As for the level of play, it's the same reason people are excited about the Energy/NASL team. It's soccer, in the city we live, on a regular basis. Sure, it's not the EPL or Bundesliga, but it doesn't have to be. And there is something to be said about the actual gameday experience.

17. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

With the weather we are supposed to be getting on Saturday, has anybody heard of what might happen at the game? Does Bishop McGuinness have a shelter?

i am guessing they will put everyone underneath the cement stands or move some people in to the lockers underground in the basketball gym

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    i am guessing they will put everyone underneath the cement stands or move some people in to the lockers underground in the basketball gym
    they say that they already have a plan in place incase of Severe weather.They may move people to the Gym or the school has a basement/tornado shelter that they can move to that if OKC is under a tornado warning but if it just a small thunderstorm i say they put everyone in the GYM

20. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

Looks like we will be going to T-Town for the open cup on 5/14. Should be a fun game.

United Soccer Leagues (USL)

21. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

May 14 Oklahoma City Energy FC (USL PRO) at Tulsa Athletics (NPSL) 7:30 p.m. CT Tulsa Athletics Stadium; Tulsa, Okla.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They have spent a ton of time and money on promotion, that's for sure.

Based on the amount of market investments they have accumulated; early indications would have you believe that their goal is to reach the MLS at some point.
    Good possibility the Funks are serious this time about their early intentions to get to the MLS. It's going to be up to the fans who can play the most active role in which league is left standing in OKC. The NPSL Oklahoma City FC has been active of late.

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

Just got word from energy that the parking lot at Mcguinness is sold out so the other option is parking garage 4 at Chesapeake and take a. 1 dollar per person shuttle to the stadium

Something is missing from this list of what's prohibited from being brought into the stadium....

What items are PROHIBITED from coming into the stadium?

* Weapons of any kind
    * Fireworks
    * Tobacco products
    * E-cigarettes
    * Vuvuzelas (in Fan Zone / Supporter Section only)
    * Air Horns
    * Umbrellas (ponchos are allowed to protect fans from inclement weather)

Thread Information