Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Energy FC

Default Re: OKC Energy FC

It's also starting to look like the Galaxy II might be the class of the league.

They have a bit of a built-in advantage, effectively being a farm team for a very well established MLS club.

Blog Entries

I for one can't wait to be able to walk or bike to a downtown (or at least downtown adjacent) stadium. I'll certainly visit the reconfigured Pribil. And Taft won't be too bad as my daughter goes to NW Classen so I pick her up and hit a game. But downtown... that will be sweet...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    FYI, I have official word from the team that their goal is to turn this franchise into an MLS franchise, hence why they chose this league and the high profile coach, etc. Next year the team will move to Taft Stadium and the goal is to build a permanent stadium designed to MLS specifications.
    It would have been awesome if both of these groups could have joined forces to eventually bring OKC an MLS franchise.

They (Prodigal) appear to be getting it right for 2014; also impressed with 2015 NASL Oklahoma City FC initial images. Oklahoma City will have to show a lot of support for either the Oklahoma City Energy or the Oklahoma FC to break ground & invest in a stadium.

Let the battle begin; we will see who will break ground and who will break wind.

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

This is a good sign for Energy FC. Today I logged on to their site to purchase two single-game tickets for the home opener against Orlando City FC. Every section I selected was absolutely booked solid, save for the lawn.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	homeopener.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	7365

That means about 4,000 peeps should be in attendance in a couple weeks. If we can sustain this (crossing fingers), that would put us at about third in the league in attendance. That's behind only MLS-bound Orlando City FC, long-time football-mad Rochester Rhinos, and newcomer Sacramento FC.

2013 USL-Pro Attendance Logs
    Team (number of home games): Average attendance

Orlando (14): 8053
    Rochester (13): 5840 *
    (new) SACRAMENTO FC Est. 5,000 <--- based on current season ticket sales
    (new) ENERGY FC Est. 4000 <--- based on boitoirich's inability to get tickets
    Charleston (14): 3554
    Pittsburgh (14): 3316
    Wilmington (14): 3162
    Richmond (14): 2527
    (new) LA GALAXY II 2500 <--- based on attendance estimates from soccer forums
    (new'ish) ORANGE COUNTY BLUES 1600 <--- based on attendance estimates from soccer forums
    Phoenix (14): 1532
    Harrisburg (14): 1456
    Charlotte (14): 807
    Dayton (13): 737 *
    VSI Tampa Bay (13): 381 *

* Missing match data from each team

Those numbers are good, but they're not MLS good (yet). There's competition from Sacramento, San Diego, Phoenix, Austin, San Antonio, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, and Atlanta for the limited remaining slots in MLS. The league hopes to expand to 28. Reports have Atlanta as the 23rd franchise, and Minneapolis as the 24th. That means there are really just four slots remaining, with at least one sure to be San Antonio, and one almost certainly sure to be Sacramento. That pits us against the others for what is essentially two slots. MLS will be looking to see who has the stadium, operations, and fan support to bolster their league. The team in Cary (Raleigh) is already averaging 4800 a game. The Indianapolis 11 have sold 7,000 season tickets so far. THAT'S what we're up against.

That's also why (and with apologies to bourchard) I can't support the NASL franchise at this point. That would be cannibalizing the market here. Whatever issues Prodigal and SOS have with each other, at this point playing into that only feeds egos and starves the city.

Quote Originally Posted by boitoirich View Post
    Those numbers are good, but they're not MLS good (yet). There's competition from Sacramento, San Diego, Phoenix, Austin, San Antonio, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, and Atlanta for the limited remaining slots in MLS. The league hopes to expand to 28. Reports have Atlanta as the 23rd franchise, and Minneapolis as the 24th. That means there are really just four slots remaining, with at least one sure to be San Antonio, and one almost certainly sure to be Sacramento. That pits us against the others for what is essentially two slots. MLS will be looking to see who has the stadium, operations, and fan support to bolster their league. The team in Cary (Raleigh) is already averaging 4800 a game. The Indianapolis 11 have sold 7,000 season tickets so far. THAT'S what we're up against.
    The year they move to Taft will be more telling, since right now that estimate is pretty close to max capacity of the current venue, plus part of the competition is getting funding a stadium built so some will probably be held up there, the news out of Sacramento about building a NBA stadium makes it sound like the city will be in no position financially to aid in funding a Soccer specific stadium.

Sacramento is a dying city with not much going for it from what I gather, despite being Cali's capital.

Blog Entries

Not so long ago that same thing could be said about OKC. Don't count a city out when it's down...

Whether or not Sacramento/San Diego/Phoenix gets a team or not, we still have pretty stiff competition for slots 25-28. Having two teams in no way helps that.

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    Sacramento is a dying city with not much going for it from what I gather, despite being Cali's capital.
    You can't deny how they're supporting their team, what with 5x more season ticket sales than our team.

no doubt rich, but the problems of the city would affect their efforts to grow into much more than they are, I would think.

11. Default OKC Energy FC

They just announced that they are opening a retail store and a ticket office in the cricket building at 9th and Broadway.

OKC Energy FC is celebrating a grand opening of their retail store and ticket outlet at NW 9th and Broadway in downtown Oklahoma City on Thursday, April 17 from 6 – 9 p.m. The shop’s opening is an all ages event open to the public. The store’s opening gives fans ample time to prepare for the team’s home opener Saturday, April 26.

LOVE IT. Combines 2 great things, the Energy and more retail in AA. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by boitoirich View Post
    Those numbers are good, but they're not MLS good (yet).
    The only number MLS is interested in is 75,000,000. That's the amount of the check that will have to be written to get into MLS. If great attendance in a minor league impressed them then Rochester would have been in MLS long ago. All of this talk about "our ultimate goal is MLS", whether it's Prodigal or SoS saying it, is total marketing BS until someone is willing to pony up a huge amount of money to get in.

That's also why (and with apologies to bourchard) I can't support the NASL franchise at this point. That would be cannibalizing the market here. Whatever issues Prodigal and SOS have with each other, at this point playing into that only feeds egos and starves the city.
    No problem. But you DO realize, of course, that you HAVE chosen a side. You are just as responsible for "feeding the egos" of ONE side, as I am on the OTHER. I see it exactly like you, but from the other side of the coin. The Energy will not get one dime of my money.

15. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

Quote Originally Posted by borchard View Post
    The Energy will not get one dime of my money.
    Then leave the Energy thread and don't be a troll?

Good win for them last night, listen to the radio broadcast on KXY.

So will there be a watch party at speakeasy for the away game on Tues? Neighbor (who has season tix) and I might check it out...

Quote Originally Posted by borchard View Post
    The only number MLS is interested in is 75,000,000. That's the amount of the check that will have to be written to get into MLS. If great attendance in a minor league impressed them then Rochester would have been in MLS long ago. All of this talk about "our ultimate goal is MLS", whether it's Prodigal or SoS saying it, is total marketing BS until someone is willing to pony up a huge amount of money to get in.

No problem. But you DO realize, of course, that you HAVE chosen a side. You are just as responsible for "feeding the egos" of ONE side, as I am on the OTHER. I see it exactly like you, but from the other side of the coin. The Energy will not get one dime of my money.
    Why don't you start up your own thread for the NASL franchise? That way you can quit spending so much time here telling people who to root for.

BTW, that's a great attitude to have when you're the one advocating for there to be two competing teams in the same market. How successful do you think the NASL franchise will be if everyone who has already heard of the Energy and are supporting them decides to pay zero attention to your NASL franchise? I'm not saying nobody will support them, but you better hope that all the other soccer fans in OKC don't have the same personality as you. If that's the case then they will both struggle and nobody will win. But it sounds like you would rather have that happen than have one team be successful and it not be yours.

Seriously. I'm trying hard to support both endeavors, but me and a group of folks at a bar Saturday night were discussing this, and it's apparent and sad that the behavior of a few NASL supporters seemed to be turning the entire group anti NASL.

20. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Seriously. I'm trying hard to support both endeavors, but me and a group of folks at a bar Saturday night were discussing this, and it's apparent and sad that the behavior of a few NASL supporters seemed to be turning the entire group anti NASL.
    Myself and a lot of the soccer guys at skinny slims feel the same way. We just want live soccer in the city, doesn't matter which group, but the attitudes of some of the NASL guys have totally turned us off the team.

I'm really confused. Can someone explain what's happening here? I haven't been following it closely other than knowing, "Wow, we're getting a soccer team in OKC!" Anyone care to offer a one-paragraph overview?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I'm really confused. Can someone explain what's happening here? I haven't been following it closely other than knowing, "Wow, we're getting a soccer team in OKC!" Anyone care to offer a one-paragraph overview?
    There are two groups starting soccer teams; one in the USL Pro league (OKC Energy FC) with hopes to jump up to MSL in the next ten years started this year and one in the NASL league (Oklahoma City FC) which should start play next year. So far just from the press and first few games I would say the OKC Energy FC energy group looks to be running this all pretty solid (though no home games have started yet), the Oklahoma City FC group is a little harder to tell since most of their work is not really that visible to the public yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    There are two groups starting soccer teams; one in the USL Pro league (OKC Energy FC) with hopes to jump up to MSL in the next ten years started this year and one in the NASL league (Oklahoma City FC) which should start play next year. So far just from the press and first few games I would say the OKC Energy FC energy group looks to be running this all pretty solid (though no home games have started yet), the Oklahoma City FC group is a little harder to tell since most of their work is not really that visible to the public yet.
    What is the difference between the leagues? Which team has more financial backing? What is the advantage of starting two teams in two separate leagues?

Energy FC
    How much are the tickets going to be for Energy FC games?
    Ticket prices for Energy FC games will range in price from $25 to a center section seat with a chair back to as little as $7 for a seat on the lawn. For a list of ticket prices, click here.

Where can I purchase tickets for Energy FC Games?
    Tickets are available for purchase via the OKC Energy FC Website OR by calling the office at 235-KICK. Full Season, half season and individual game ticket packages are available. Tickets will also be available at the Energy FC store and box office located at NW 9th & Broadway in downtown Oklahoma City.

Depending on my seat location, can I bring in a stadium seat or lawn chair?
    Stadium seats are premitted to be used as long as they are less than 16 inches wide and do not contain an arm rest.
    Lawn chairs are permitted in the grass area on the south end of the field.

There are seats lining the track. Who can sit there?
    The Track Side Seating is reserved seating. In order to sit in those seats, you will need to have a ticket for those seats.

What is the inclement weather policy?
    OKC Energy FC understands the games played outside are subject to changing weather conditions. OKC Energy FC games kick off at 7 p.m. and will be played as scheduled...rain or shine. If there are weather concerns, fans will be notified at the game and given choices about what their plan of action should be.

If it is raining, fans are encouraged to bring ponchos or water-resistent jackets. Umbrellas will not be permitted in the stadium.

Where can I park for OKC Energy FC games?
    OKC Energy FC offers parking in two locations.
    First is the lot immediately to the west of Pribil Stadium on the campus of Bishop McGuinness Catholic High School. Season Ticket Holders have the option to purchase reserved parking in this lot. Space is VERY limited. Season Ticket Holders are encouraged to contact their representative to reserve parking by calling 235-KICK.

The second option is to park in Garage #4 on the Chesapeake Energy campus near Classen and Western. A shuttle service can transport fans to and from the garage for just $1 per person per direction.

Are there any pregame festivities?
    First is an activity on the lawn just west of the Chesapeake Energy Campus.

Second is a March to the Match that starts at the 51st Speakeasy, located across Western from Pribil Stadium.

Who can sit in the Fan Zone at the North End of the stadium?
    OKC Energy FC encourages only the most spirited fans to sit in the Fan Zone at the north end of the stadium. The Supporters Clubs of OKC Energy FC are encouraged to make noise, sing chants, wave flags and generally have fun during the entire match. A word of warning. Sitting in the Fan Zone is not for the faint of heart. Fans sitting in the Fan Zone do risk hearing "colorful" language during the match.

Can I bring a bag or backpack into the stadium?
    Only small purses and diaper bags are permitted inside the stadium.

Where can we get scarves, t-shirts, etc?
    Merchandise for OKC Energy FC such as t-shirts, scarves and flags can be purchased via the online store or at the new Energy FC store at NW 9th & Broadway in downtown Oklahoma City (starting April 17). OKC Energy Season Ticket Holders are eligible for a 10% discount on merchandise. Discount applies to purchases made at the stadium or at the store at NW 9th & Broadway only.

What details can be provided about the soccer-specific stadium discussed during the press conference?
    Details about the soccer-specific stadium are ever evolving. Energy FC has committed to work with ADG, a local design group to build the stadium. The two groups are currently working together to find the best location for the stadium that provides the best short-term and long-term success for Energy FC. Remember, the ultimate goal is to play in MLS.

Why USL PRO?
    USL PRO is the strongest, best operated and most experienced North American men’s professional soccer league outside and in support of Major League Soccer (MLS). Focused on franchise stability and longevity, USL PRO features 15 teams for the 2014 season, including expansion teams in Oklahoma City and Sacramento. The league not only serves as a springboard to the MLS for players, but also for franchises.

Five of the last six clubs to enter MLS have moved up from the USL’s top professional division. Among the most successful clubs, the Vancouver Whitecaps, Seattle Sounders, Portland Timbers and Montreal Impact all operated franchises in the USL’s top professional division before making the transition to MLS.

On November 19, MLS announced the addition of Orlando City to its league, beginning in 2015. The addition of the Orlando City club brings the years of USL PRO experience by teams in MLS to 63.

When will the schedule be announced?
    The schedule is out! OKC Energy FC opens their season on the road April 5th. The home opener is April 26th against Orlando City SC. Click here for the full schedule. Click here for a downloadable version of the schedule.

Who is the affiliate for OKC Energy FC?
    OKC Energy FC is the USL PRO affiliate of defending MLS Cup Champion Sporting KC.

Who is the head coach for OKC Energy FC?
    Former Sporting KC goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen is head coach for OKC Energy FC. He is assisted by Chris Spendlove.

Will beer be sold at the stadium?
    Energy FC is proud to support the family-friendly environment at Pribil Stadium on the campus of Bishop McGuinness Catholic High School. As such will not serve alcohol on stadium grounds during matches.

Will instruments and flags be allowed in the stadium?
    Yes!

25. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

My favorite part:
    Sitting in the Fan Zone is not for the faint of heart. Fans sitting in the Fan Zone do risk hearing "colorful" language during the match.

Thread Information