Widgets Magazine
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 212223242526

Thread: OKC Energy FC

Blog Entries

Energy FC Re: OKC Energy FC

Quote Originally Posted by borchard View Post
    I have no idea how this is going to all turn out. I really hope that someone steps up to buy the soccer team from Funk and McLaughlin. I'm pretty sure that the city would at least listen if the present owners asked about leasing the ballpark for games. I say this because back in the day, before it all fell apart, Rayo was talking to the city about playing games there. If they really wanted to play they could invest in a modular playing surface like Nexxfield. Rayo, like the Energy, also played on a HS football field with a running track around it. But one of the owners, Sean Jones, bought a Nexxfield playing surface that was laid OVER the football field, stretching onto the running track, making it a regulation-sized pitch. So much water has gone under the bridge at this point. It's sad for me to think about 2104, before all the craziness happened, when 3,000 of us showed up at a parking lot in Bricktown to watch the US play in the World Cup. I really thought THAT was evidence that we would be a huge success if we ever got a team. Looking back now, like I said, it's just sad. Apologies to Laramie, I really don't have a lot to offer to this discussion. We'll see what happens.
    IMO the ownership of Rayo would have been a much better fit for soccer. Now Rayo was originally scheduled for the NASL of which the
    original Tulsa Roughnecks played back in the late 70s and early 80s. Swake and US Rufnex probably have more info on that league since
    Tulsa was a member. Borchard's illustration below shows that a regulation fix can fit in the ballpark.

Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark
    much like Tulsa's ONEOK Field could be used for soccer using their mound modifications allowing
    for leveling the playing surface. Some temporary bleachers in the open space (left 500 seats) could easily put the capacity in the
    12,500 - 13,500 range removingthe tarp covered seats.

How long will the Funks hold on to the USL franchise . . . Our MAPS 4 Stadium isn't scheduled to break ground until 2025,

Default Re: OKC Energy FC

It’s pretty unbelievable that the City would tiptoe around the Thunder regarding how the Peak is used on non-Thunder nights. If that’s the case, the Thunder ownership group should be paying for a majority of any new arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    How many NBA teams share arenas with lower level hockey clubs. There’s a certain cost to support infrastructure, rapid changeover, etc. and maybe the city is not wanting to lose money.
    This is probably mostly the issue. The city would have to eat the bill on the switch over costs.

People thought cox and Paycom arena would both be used. One is now a movie studio. Minor league just isn't enough to the pay the overhead.

I think the Thunder has released their control over the arena since COVID. I recall reading Paycom arena had had more shows in 2022 than any year in history.

I think the Funk's got dealt a bad hand in the hockey experience. The Blazers model was no longer making money, and the AAA plan was the only way forward. But the NHL changed plans after a couple years and OKC was no longer part of the future.

I think Hockey had enough chances in OKC. Double A at the paycom then AHL at the COX and both teams are gone.

Let s go back to soccer.

So, the Funk can keep the team on hiatus advitam eternam ? It would block any other group to put a team together in the metro if so.
    That would mean no soccer team until the new stadium so at least 7 seasons without a team. Ridiculous !

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I think the Thunder has released their control over the arena since COVID. I recall reading Paycom arena had had more shows in 2022 than any year in history.

I think the Funk's got dealt a bad hand in the hockey experience. The Blazers model was no longer making money, and the AAA plan was the only way forward. But the NHL changed plans after a couple years and OKC was no longer part of the future.
    okc just didn't support minor league hockey when the tickets were not free/almost free .. no matter the quality upgrade ..

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    I think Hockey had enough chances in OKC. Double A at the paycom then AHL at the COX and both teams are gone.

Let s go back to soccer.

So, the Funk can keep the team on hiatus advitam eternam ? It would block any other group to put a team together in the metro if so.
    That would mean no soccer team until the new stadium so at least 7 seasons without a team. Ridiculous !
    This is the main point of concern for many Energy fans, Funk Jr and Prodigal don't seem willing to even try something temporary during this time... I don't know if the fans could get the USL on our side and force Funk to either sell the franchise or force him to play, I don't think the USL has any such policy in play currently that deals with teams on hiatus.

NISA putting a team in OKC or Prodigal selling the Energy are the two best options, IMO.

Does anyone have any true info about USLC stadium requirements for 2023 and beyond? I don't think Prodigal is the problem in finding a stadium.

110yards by 70 yards... and if you include the 2016 rule change, it also much allow for 5,000 fans. The reason people think Prodigal is the problem is that they have known for years, and have done nothing about it. that is why they are the problem, it's almost like they didn't want to find a stadium to play in. much like they didn't really want to make any of the changes that Edmonton asked for in order to keep the Baron here.

I don't think that's fair. We don't see anyone jumping up to buy the team, or the USLC complaining. No stadium owner claiming that Prodigal walked away from a sweetheart deal on the rent and renovations. The team draws less than 2,000 people a game. And we expect the Funk's to happily lose $2 million dollars a year...IN CASH...for the privilege of being the stewards of "The Sport Of The Furture" in Oklahoma City.

Blog Entries

Have they put the team up for sale , , ,

Prodigal claimed back in 2016 after their big match with Rayo OKC saying they would bring MLS to OKC in 5 to 7 years--what happened with those plans.

Prodigal and ADG are exploring sites to build the stadium and are engaged in discussions about long-term strategy, location and design. Initial plans for the stadium call for it to seat 7,000, with the ability to expand to 20,000, the minimum size for a franchise to be considered to earn an expansion team in North America's best soccer league, Major League Soccer (MLS).
    Link: https://www.oursportscentral.com/ser...-okc/n-4642371

The Energy FC could have played in UCO's Wantland Stadium capacity of 10,000. UCO had plans to expand the stadium beyond 20,000 as far back as 2010. Now its Chad Richison Stadium with a seating capacity of 12,000.

Would there have been any reason why they couldn't play in Edmond until a stadium is built in OKC.

I read that the MLS expansion fee is $325 million. They claim to be committed at 35 teams or more. There is no way that makes financial sense.

I don’t recall any stories about UCO being offended by Prodigy not accepting their great stadium deal.

*doesn’t make any effort to give the fans a good team so less fans show up.

“Well can you you blame the owners? Nobody shows up!”

Blog Entries

Energy FC Re: OKC Energy FC

The MLS franchise fee IIRC was $150 million before it rose to the $325 million.

You said
    I don’t recall any stories about UCO being offended by Prodigy not accepting their great stadium deal.
    Who said UCO offered Prodigy a stadium deal or was offended by Prodigy not taking a deal.

What I said:
    The Energy FC could have played in UCO's Wantland Stadium capacity of 10,000. UCO had plans to expand the stadium beyond 20,000 as far back as 2010.
    My point was to bring to light that Progidy's time with USL and their eventual goal to reach MLS status didn't pan out.

Chances of OKC hosting a USL franchise is slim to none IMO under Funks' ownership, just don't have any hope that USL will be back in OKC anytime before 2027. Much like what happened with the AHL 'AAA' hockey Barons and the IGA tennis classic, every franchise the Funks have acquired eventually failed.

Sorry to resurrect an old conversation, but is it common in the USL for a team to just lie dormant for 4-5 years? I would really like to see high level pro soccer succeed in OKC, but after the Rayo fiasco and this situation, I don't think we have the right set of people to run a successful soccer franchise.

No, in fact it is very uncommon for USL teams to come back at all after any sort of a hiatus. The only thing the Energy have going for them at this point is that there is $41 million of MAPS 4 money allocated for a new soccer stadium, but even still, I simply don't see how they are going to succeed with all of the goodwill that the current owners have squandered. IMO, the only solution that makes sense is for Prodigal to sell their majority stake to another ownership group. The Chickasaws seem most likely to me based on the tea leaves pointing towards the new stadium being built on the FAM/OKANA site. But regardless, I would expect the MAPS 4 Stadium to be last on the priority list for as long as Prodigal continues to own the team.

It is such an act of bad faith on the part of the ownership group. I agree that I don't think they recover from this. There is no way the city should prioritize the stadium, if Energy FC are the primary tenant and their strategy is to sit on their hands until the stadium is ready.

Do the Chickasaws own any sports franchises? That's an interesting thought.

One more USL season in the book.
    Will we see any movement from the Energy FC ownership for the 2024 season or are they in “waiting for the new stadium” mode still ?

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    One more USL season in the book.
    Will we see any movement from the Energy FC ownership for the 2024 season or are they in “waiting for the new stadium” mode still ?
    Their line has been they don't have a stadium, so I wouldn't expect anything to change.

Thread Information