Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Energy FC

Default Re: OKC Energy FC

They are going to be playing at McGuiness? I thought that was why they were doing construction (or a complete rebuild rather) of the Taft stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by OSUMom View Post
    They are going to be playing at McGuiness? I thought that was why they were doing construction (or a complete rebuild rather) of the Taft stadium.
    Taft Stadium is for the NASL not the Energy.Energy will NOT BE PLAYING the games at Taft Stadium

Did anyone go to the select a seat event on Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    Did anyone go to the select a seat event on Saturday?
    I did (although I have general admission seats). It was fast and easy, it appeared, for those that picked seats.

I think I was the first person to go through the line with "General Admission" seats. Staff seemed a little surprised.

They did explain that all on-campus parking will be pay parking, and they cannot guarantee parking off-site. It was $112 to buy the season parking pass (which I did not do).

Do you know how many people were out there? I wonder how many season ticket packages they've sold so far.

Hey all,

Glad I found this thread! My name is Sean and I am president of The Grid, the Energy FC Supporters club. If you have any questions or are curious about anything I would be more than happy to get you info regarding our group (And also Energy FC if I happen to know the answer). OKCGrid.com

Relevant: I've spoken with the management @ Speakeasy and their plans are not necessarily to do what you would consider a traditional "tailgate". They do have the patio area for patrons and are working out other details as we speak however.

I asked about total ticket sales for the season with a member of management the other day and they said they had passed 1,000 sold.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    Do you know how many people were out there? I wonder how many season ticket packages they've sold so far.
    They did it in hour-by-hour time slots, and I was in the 2nd time slot. I would say there were at least 40 seats being picked during my time slot.

Fans vote to resurrect Roughnecks name for new Tulsa pro soccer team - Soccer - TulsaWorld

The "name your team" contest ended yesterday in Tulsa. Roughnecks was the winner. Looks like we've got our rival.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by C. B. View Post
    Fans vote to resurrect Roughnecks name for new Tulsa pro soccer team - Soccer - TulsaWorld

The "name your team" contest ended yesterday in Tulsa. Roughnecks was the winner. Looks like we've got our rival.

Drillers' Park, NPSL Tulsa Athletics . . . . . .78-84 Roughnecks' logo. . . . . . . ONEOK PARK, USL-Pro Roughnecks' home

Great news for Tulsa and the Roughnecks' name reconnection for the start of the USL-Pro 2015 season. The Tulsa Roughnecks were probably the most high profile professional franchise to ever hit the scene in the old 'Oil Capital.'

Traveled to Tulsa's Skelly Stadium many times in the late 70s and early 80s to support the Tulsa Roughnecks of the old North American Soccer League (NASL). Now my support will be with the Oklahoma City Energy (USL-Pro) and Oklahoma City's new 2015 NASL entry. An Oklahoma City USL-Pro or NASL rivalry that includes a Tulsa entry will be welcomed.

We use to have a rivalry with Tulsa in AAA baseball, AA & AAA ice hockey and the defunct Oklahoma City Slickers had a 1-1 tie against the Tulsa Roughnecks in an exhibition in Ponca City decades ago.

The NASL could become a rival league of MLS if some kind of television contract can be worked out to sustain the newly constructed NASL. You have FC Edmonton, Fort Lauderdale Strikers, Minnesota United, New York Cosmos, Ottawa Fury FC, Tampa Bay Rowdies, San Antonio Scorpions and Indy Eleven among the more popular cities throughout North America. Jacksonville Armada FC and Oklahoma City are scheduled for a 2015 inaugural.

In summary: Could the 2015 USL-Pro Tulsa Roughnecks eventually jump to the NASL? Will our new NASL entry have a name-the-team contest? Stay tuned...

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    [CENTER][IMG]Great news for Tulsa and the Roughnecks' name reconnection for the start of the USL-Pro 2015 season. The Tulsa Roughnecks were probably the most high profile professional franchise to ever hit the scene in the old 'Oil Capital.'

Traveled to Tulsa's Skelly Stadium many times in the late 70s and early 80s to support the Tulsa Roughnecks of the old North American Soccer League (NASL). Now my support will be with the Oklahoma City Energy (USL-Pro) and Oklahoma City's new 2015 NASL entry. An Oklahoma City USL-Pro or NASL rivalry that includes a Tulsa entry will be welcomed.

We use to have a rivalry with Tulsa in AAA baseball, AA & AAA ice hockey and the defunct Oklahoma City Slickers had a 1-1 tie against the Tulsa Roughnecks in an exhibition in Ponca City decades ago.

The NASL could become a rival league of MLS if some kind of television contract can be worked out to sustain the newly constructed NASL. You have FC Edmonton, Fort Lauderdale Strikers, Minnesota United, New York Cosmos, Ottawa Fury FC, Tampa Bay Rowdies, San Antonio Scorpions and Indy Eleven among the more popular cities throughout North America. Jacksonville Armada FC and Oklahoma City are scheduled for a 2015 inaugural.

In summary: Could the 2015 USL-Pro Tulsa Roughnecks eventually jump to the NASL? Will our new NASL entry have a name-the-team contest? Stay tuned...
    I've heard that it doesn't look so good for OKC's NASL team. And, as a soccer fan, I don't support the idea of a rival league to MSL. I believe it would dilute any potential earnings and split talent too much, reducing our level of play on the world stage.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    I've heard that it doesn't look so good for OKC's NASL team. And, as a soccer fan, I don't support the idea of a rival league to MSL. I believe it would dilute any potential earnings and split talent too much, reducing our level of play on the world stage.
    Exactly my thoughts on the issue.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    My understanding is that Tim McLaughlin, the principal investor with the OKC NASL is no longer on board (rumor, nothing official). Sold Out Strategies (SOS) led by Brad Lund is still promoting the OKC NASL group.

Major Soccer League (MLS) is considered the top level of soccer in the United States & Canada followed by the North American Soccer League (NASL=tier II) and the United Soccer League (USL-Pro=tier III).

My plans are to support both the USL-Pro Oklahoma City Energy (2014-15) and the NASL Oklahoma City FC (2015-16).

Now, as far as what does or doesn't look good--read this:

Oklahoma City Blazers: Funk: Economy woes behind OKC Blazers? moves | News OK

Oklahoma City RedHawks: Bob Funk Jr. confirms Oklahoma City RedHawks owners in sales negotiations - Worldnews.com

OKC Women's Tennis Tour: Memphis ATP event to add women - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal | SportsBusiness Daily Global

Fornaciari was compelled to sell after a dispute with her partner, Oklahoma businessman Robert Funk, over control of the event. Funk, the owner of the largest temporary staffing company in the state, Express Personnel Services, was seeking $250,000 for not being given majority control of the event, sources said.

Oklahoma City Barons: City officials exchange contract proposals with AHL ownership group

Bakersfield Condors To Be Purchased By Daryl Katz

After months of speculation, it seems that Katz is ready to be the affiliate owner of his ECHL club as well as his AHL club, in Oklahoma City. This is an interesting “get” for the Oilers, and the Katz family

What's next?

Do your own research and evaluate the future of sports in Oklahoma City under the leadership of the Funks.

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Do your own research and evaluate the future of sports in Oklahoma City under the leadership of the Funks.
    They've done an incredible job with the promotion and the beginnings of the team. I am not going to speculate one way or another on the ownership behind either team. I am stating my opinion on the status and ambitions of NASL overall.

Laramie, the problem with the comparisons of the Barons and a soccer team owned by the Funks is that in hockey, you have very limited infiltration to the sport here at the youth levels. I love hockey, and love going to the games (and I'm from SE Texas), but you don't have the rabid interest that soccer brings. With soccer, you have both parents who have kids playing at the youth level, and you also have a segment of the 20-40 crowd who have been around to watch MLS grow, and become attached to soccer through increased interests in the USMNT. People see soccer games on TV and think "man that crowd looks like it's having a blast." You don't get that in hockey, no matter how good the game is. Personally I think soccer in OKC at this level is a slam dunk that should be very difficult to screw up.

I'm also with cafebouef on NASL, we don't need another league trying to compete with MLS. MLS is still in growth mode and needs all the top domestic support it can get (looking at you Andrew, don't be a "I only watch BPL" snob j/k).

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    People see soccer games on TV and think "man that crowd looks like it's having a blast."
    My wife and I went to a Portland Timbers match last summer. It was amazing. The Timbers Army chanted, drank, sang and danced non-stop for over two hours. Absolutely unbelievable. I've been to 20+ big time college football stadiums and I did not expect a regular season MLS match would compare to any of those environments. But it sure did. Similar excitement and cheers following a touchdown were sustained throughout the match.

I want everyone here in OKC to experience that. I don't know the best way to get there, but man I sure hope something like that happens here.

Quote Originally Posted by C. B. View Post
    My wife and I went to a Portland Timbers match last summer. It was amazing. The Timbers Army chanted, drank, sang and danced non-stop for over two hours. Absolutely unbelievable. I've been to 20+ big time college football stadiums and I did not expect a regular season MLS match would compare to any of those environments. But it sure did. Similar excitement and cheers following a touchdown were sustained throughout the match.

I want everyone here in OKC to experience that. I don't know the best way to get there, but man I sure hope something like that happens here.
    The Dynamo games I go to when I go back home aren't quite that awesome, it's more of a corporate crowd, but the experience my wife and I had at the US vs. Jamaica WC qualifier in October was the absolute top sports experience for either of us, and we've both been to a lot of big sports events.

Laramie, the problem with the comparisons of the Barons and a soccer team owned by the Funks is that in hockey, you have very limited infiltration to the sport here at the youth levels. I love hockey, and love going to the games (and I'm from SE Texas), but you don't have the rabid interest that soccer brings. With soccer, you have both parents who have kids playing at the youth level, and you also have a segment of the 20-40 crowd who have been around to watch MLS grow, and become attached to soccer through increased interests in the USMNT. People see soccer games on TV and think "man that crowd looks like it's having a blast." You don't get that in hockey, no matter how good the game is. Personally I think soccer in OKC at this level is a slam dunk that should be very difficult to screw up.

I'm also with cafebouef on NASL, we don't need another league trying to compete with MLS. MLS is still in growth mode and needs all the top domestic support it can get (looking at you Andrew, don't be a "I only watch BPL" snob j/k).
    Hey, I've come around. I just needed a local team to support and now it's here. I'm all about this team and helping us get to the MLS. I've got my tickets and I'm ready to go!

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    Hey, I've come around. I just needed a local team to support and now it's here. I'm all about this team and helping us get to the MLS. I've got my tickets and I'm ready to go!
    You're ahead of us, we haven't purchased yet but we will. It might be tough, but I might have to convert from Houston to KC with this new affiliation.

Blog Entries

pahdz:

I wasn't making comparisons of hockey to soccer; simply hoping you would notice their (Funks) track record. It doesn't look so rosy with the various sports they have had a hand in managing. Let's see what happens with the Barons; they have had great success on the ice and their crowds have been going south since opening night. Oklahoma City was known for great hockey crowds; now we are among the AHL's bottom feeders.

Could our market be overextended?

As with AAA baseball; the RedHawks did well with the initial years at the newly built Bricktown Ballpark; then the Funks owned them about the time the NBA penetrated our market.

What happened with the Women's Tennis? Many of us will not be privy to that information. A 17-year-old Venus Williams won the 1998 IGA Tennis Classic in Oklahoma City for her first WTA title.

Memory Lane: Venus Williams wins first career title ? and raises the*roof | Beyond The Baseline

You appear to have a lot of confidence with 'soccer' on the tier III level being successful in OKC. The Funks shouldn't have any problems with marketing professional soccer at this level in our city. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Success with USL-Pro should be the tell-tale heart of Express Sports' expertise or inability to manage spectator sports type enterprises. They will have one full year to get a jump on marketing their product ahead of the NASL. Great news that the OKC Energy have already exceeded 1,000-season ticket holders; they have gotten off to an impressive start.

My support was there for the (AA) CHL Blazers and now for the (AAA) AHL Barons. The AHL Barons are much better brand than what the CHL presented on the ice. The Barons promotions have been top-notch. I remember the days of the old AAA Blazers-Stars (State Fair Arena-Myriad), the beer night specials, automobile night give-away and turkey shoot promotions. You always had in excess of 9,000 inside the State Fair Arena and 11,000 or more at the Myriad on special promotion nights.

I attended 2010 Barons opener; there were approximately 9,800 fans in attendance to witness a 6-1 loss to Houston Aeros. It brought back memories of our 1965 debut at the State Fair Arena in which we loss to the Houston Apollos. The ice rink had a muddy tint until they finally put cement over the pipes.

My hope is that soccer will be successful in Oklahoma City. As a Tulsa Roughnecks & Oklahoma City Slickers' supporter; the time is ripe to tap the Oklahoma City market again. This USL-Pro vs. NASL challenge will raise the curtain among soccer fanatics; it could also become our albatross.

I just don't think you can compare any success the Blazers had against any struggles the Barons have. Granted I've only lived here since 2009, it's quite obvious the Thunder changed the game for spectator sports in OKC. I honestly don't think the NASL league as a whole has much of a future. USL has aligned itself as a feeder league to MLS, and if NASL is content on trying to compete with MLS, they're going to fail miserably.

I agree with you completely about the the quality of play the Barons bring. It's a shame because it's near NHL level quality. The CHL is a joke comparatively as far as quality of play goes.

If the Energy ownership group fail at this, then you're assumptions will be verified. I just don't see how it can fail.

You're ahead of us, we haven't purchased yet but we will. It might be tough, but I might have to convert from Houston to KC with this new affiliation.
    If you went to a SKC match you would become a fan much quicker. The usual environment there is a lot like the Timbers match C.B. described.

Quote Originally Posted by PWitty View Post
    If you went to a SKC match you would become a fan much quicker. The usual environment there is a lot like the Timbers match C.B. described.
    I know, but you don't just flip a switch on a team you've watched succeed for years from your hometown. Especially when said team in question is their biggest rival

Interesting article from last summer about Sporting Kansas City. Maybe we could follow their example if we get to the MLS level and build a new stadium. Sounds like a fun way to keep fans engaged!

Sporting Kansas City Makes the Stadium More Like Your Couch - Businessweek

That's a great article. I didn't know anything about their in-stadium phone app. That's a really cool idea to allow fans to dvr the action and see replays from any of the 7 different stadium cameras.
    It's fun to dream big a picture a similar stadium to Sporting Park along our downtown riverfront. All it costs is money...

Came across this blog. Anyone read it -> A blog on all things Energy FC

Thread Information