Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Holiday Inn Norman loses its flag, now "Hotel Norman"

1. Default Re: Holiday Inn Norman loses its flag, now "Hotel Norman"

Quote Originally Posted by 94GTStang View Post
    Absolutely my thoughts too. The only thing that kills it is the terrible road design in that area. I’m surprised the theater and or that hotel haven’t mysteriously burnt down yet. Been eye sores for years now and it would be fantastic if Flix came down this way
    Fixing that weird frontage road issue with be ideal.....

Default Re: Holiday Inn Norman loses its flag, now "Hotel Norman"

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    That theater is getting renovated, yes?
    Maybe but it isn't obvious from the outside when I've been in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Fixing that weird frontage road issue with be ideal.....
    Indeed.......that is a hot mess to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    Maybe but it isn't obvious from the outside when I've been in the area.
    Honestly, I'm not sure if this is still on the docket, but there are at least some project details on Construction Journal.

https://www.constructionjournal.com/...805601723.html

Turn it into a multi use development. That will fix it and make the area more attractive

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoKegan View Post
    Turn it into a multi use development. That will fix it and make the area more attractive
    That's a really good idea. That entire corner (minus the waffle house) could be leveled and redeveloped into a pretty large development almost like what they are doing across from Penn Square mall.

Per Norman Development FB page
    Ranchers Development Company, LLC, a Springfield, MO based Andy’s Frozen Custard franchisee, has purchased the former Rib Crib site near Robinson Street & I-35.
    The company paid $800,000 for the 1 acre parcel located at 1131 Rambling Oaks Drive, just west of I-35 and south of Robinson Street. The purchase closed September 6, 2023.

Mr. Mayor:
    Back in March I wrote about this property and the length of time this property is sitting idle wrapped in chain link fence.

I was sent a response from Jane Hudson discussing various permits and extensions.

Still it sits with no work being done.

My questions are - What is the current status of extensions and what are the dates compelling the owners to commence work?

What permits are pending and how much longer will all the required permits have before they expire?

Who are the owners of this property?

What has the city done since March to move this project along?

Exchange between myself and Norman Mayor

Larry Heikkila <Larry.Heikkila@normanok.gov>
    Tue, Oct 24, 3:42 PM (3 days ago)
    to me

City Staff has been working with the owner, their legal and our City Legal for an extended period. The time it takes for us to negotiate through the legal hoops is daunting, at best.

We are still working on this one, and we will continue to stay on top of it.

I wish the city government would address this and other properties that are eyesores. I also wish the mayor would address the questions posed instead of avoiding them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I wish the city government would address this and other properties that are eyesores. I also wish the mayor would address the questions posed instead of avoiding them.
    i mean come on Jersey, i think we can all agree that it's a bit far fetched to believe that the Mayor who ran on a platform that Norman needed to be more transparent, would answer questions and be transparent about it.

10. Default Re: Holiday Inn Norman loses its flag, now "Hotel Norman"

That property is such an incredible underuse of prime property. If the developer can't do it, sell it to someone who can!

Agreed. I bet we'll start to see some real movement on the property if the entertainment venue at UNP is approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Mr. Mayor:
    Back in March I wrote about this property and the length of time this property is sitting idle wrapped in chain link fence.

I was sent a response from Jane Hudson discussing various permits and extensions.

Still it sits with no work being done.

My questions are - What is the current status of extensions and what are the dates compelling the owners to commence work?

What permits are pending and how much longer will all the required permits have before they expire?

Who are the owners of this property?

What has the city done since March to move this project along?

Exchange between myself and Norman Mayor

Larry Heikkila <Larry.Heikkila@normanok.gov>
    Tue, Oct 24, 3:42 PM (3 days ago)
    to me

City Staff has been working with the owner, their legal and our City Legal for an extended period. The time it takes for us to negotiate through the legal hoops is daunting, at best.

We are still working on this one, and we will continue to stay on top of it.

I'm not sure what the city can do now days. If private property is secured, is not a risk to safety and doesn't have any public financial interest, I think the city is limited in what they can do. The state legislature made it harder for governments to compel action on a property.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I'm not sure what the city can do now days. If private property is secured, is not a risk to safety and doesn't have any public financial interest, I think the city is limited in what they can do. The state legislature made it harder for governments to compel action on a property.
    None of that precludes Heikkila from answering any of the questions I posed. As pointed out the mayor ran on a platform of transparency and he isn't governing that way.

Thread Information