Widgets Magazine

Thread: Prototek

Default Prototek

There is a makerspace called Prototek in OKC at 1700 W Main St. Anyone know anything about it?

http://prototekokc.com/

http://www.facebook.com/prototekokc

Default Re: Prototek

I also heard they were looking to possibly move to the garage space at 10th and Hudson. Just seeing if anyone has checked it out.

OHM Space seeks to create a safe, entertaining space in Oklahoma City where everyone can learn, create and share. We support the Hacker, Maker and Local Art communities, which includes just about anyone who likes to create and modify things in ways they find useful or even beautiful!
    We are an Oklahoma nonprofit corporation that hopes to achieve 501(c)(3) status in order to better serve our members and the general public. If you'd like to get involved, please contact us at info[at]ohmspace[dot]org, show up at a meeting or donate!
    http://kosu.org/2012/05/where/

Very cool. This could be HUGE for OKC. Many people don't know, but we have a very large burgeoning tech scene here and it's about to explode. Once we get the City of OKC and Chamber of Commerce promoting/engaging with it a little more. We will really see some momentum. Here in a couple weeks, a bunch of local tech companies that have one competitions will be going down to the annual SXSW for Oklahoma's annual Buffalo Lounge. Lot's going on in the tech scene right now. Tailwind is a company to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    There is a makerspace called Prototek in OKC at 1700 W Main St. Anyone know anything about it?

That is the same address OHM space was at. Is it a name change, another group sharing the building or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Very cool. This could be HUGE for OKC. Many people don't know, but we have a very large burgeoning tech scene here and it's about to explode. Once we get the City of OKC and Chamber of Commerce promoting/engaging with it a little more. We will really see some momentum. Here in a couple weeks, a bunch of local tech companies that have one competitions will be going down to the annual SXSW for Oklahoma's annual Buffalo Lounge. Lot's going on in the tech scene right now. Tailwind is a company to watch.
    Always love to hear about stuff like this. Thanks!

7. Default Re: Prototek

This reminds me of the Tulsa Fab Lab

Hardesty Center for Fab Lab Tulsa

Hey all, I got word that we were being discussed so I figured I'd pop over and say hello.

Prototek is in the same building that Ohm space was in, however we are a separate entity and to my knowledge we are the only active makerspace in the OKC area.
    We are open to the public every Tuesday evening starting around 7:00 PM.
    We have everything from 3D printers, to laser cutters, woodworking equipment, computers, discreet electronics and programming, vinyl cutters, to giant metal working machines and robot arms.

We welcome people of all age groups and backgrounds and promote learning and diversity.
    Currently, we are sponsoring a local high school robotics team that is competing in some national challenges, bringing life back to defunct CNC machines, metal casting, and one member is working on a jet powered gocart.

I'd love to have some people here come down and check things out.

Thanks,

- Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    That is the same address OHM space was at. Is it a name change, another group sharing the building or something else?
    They have a open house period every Tuesday night around 7. It's in the same building that OHMspace was in on Main St., but Prototek only uses the down-stairs portion of the building, so you'll need to go to behind the building and enter through the open garage door (it should be obvious when you get there). They have a couple of makerbots, some large cnc machines, plenty of power tools, and lots of tools for working on electronics. If you had ever been to an open house at OHMspace, you'll see a lot of familiar faces from the maker side of things, and perhaps one or two from the hacker side as well.

Also there is Odd Fab Design just behind Paramount Building in Film Row, which is a private fabricating space. I'm telling you, the tech scene is booming in this city, and the heart of it is in Film Row and fixing to explode. The Chamber has got behind it somewhat, but I don't think the white collars understand tech enough to understand how much potential we really have here and are about to experience, otherwise they'd be throwing more resources at it than they are. We're too focused on oil and gas, but us consulting and technology companies are doing our own thing regardless, and some of them are starting to take off.

Quote Originally Posted by Prototek View Post
    Hey all, I got word that we were being discussed so I figured I'd pop over and say hello.

Prototek is in the same building that Ohm space was in, however we are a separate entity and to my knowledge we are the only active makerspace in the OKC area.
    We have everything from 3D printers, to laser cutters, woodworking equipment, computers, discreet electronics and programming, vinyl cutters, to giant metal working machines and robot arms.

We welcome people of all age groups and backgrounds and promote learning and diversity.
    Currently, we are sponsoring a local high school robotics team that is competing in some national challenges, bringing life back to defunct CNC machines, metal casting, and one member is working on a jet powered gocart.

Thanks,

- Matt

Welcome Matt!

Thanks for sharing more about Prototek.

11. Default Re: Prototek

Quote Originally Posted by Prototek View Post

Thanks,

- Matt
    Awesome. I'm going to try and come by tomorrow.

Jet powered gocart....Nice.

Prototek is moving!
    We are excited to announce that we will no longer be confined to low roofs, no sun, and a back alley entryway.
    We are heading north to Midtown in a 11,000 sqft facility. The offices and general meeting area are being professionally built out now and we will be moving the majority of the items the week of April 21st
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10259848_272432839590388_19160166889909570_n.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	7356

HangryHippo Guest

Cool, bringing some life to that corner.

This is awesome news!

Will bring some great creative energy to Midtown and bring life to that long-vacant and highly visible building.

Quote Originally Posted by musg8411 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10259848_272432839590388_19160166889909570_n.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	7356
    Called that.

I also heard they were looking to possibly move to the garage space at 10th and Hudson. Just seeing if anyone has checked it out.

^

If I had seen that I would have tried to confirm earlier.

But no matter, you get credit for the scoop!

Thread Information