Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Will Electronic Signs Cause Edmond to Resemble Las Vegas?

Default Re: Will Electronic Signs Cause Edmond to Resemble Las Vegas?

On the council vote side... a part of me really really really wants to vote for a guy that attacks houses with a bulldozer while drinking southern comfort and has the last name "Fightmaster".

Fightmaster lost, proposition passed.

It appears low voter turnout tactics won. Not suprising and exactly what I expected. I guess this is yet another thing that tons of other great cities are doing that edmond won't have and this will inevitably be brought back to light in the next five years. Good job Edmond.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It appears low voter turnout tactics won. Not suprising and exactly what I expected. I guess this is yet another thing that tons of other great cities are doing that edmond won't have and this will inevitably be brought back to light in the next five years. Good job Edmond.
    Yep. Same ol same ol. Memorial Road will boom with half the shoppers still thinking they're in Edmond while we keep building houses without a sales tax base to support them. It's like the Pops "bottle". That'd be Edmond sales tax if old Edmond wasn't so stubborn. It's not the 70's or 80's anymore and the population isn't 40k. It's time to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Yep. Same ol same ol. Memorial Road will boom with half the shoppers still thinking they're in Edmond while we keep building houses without a sales tax base to support them. It's like the Pops "bottle". That'd be Edmond sales tax if old Edmond wasn't so stubborn. It's not the 70's or 80's anymore and the population isn't 40k. It's time to compete.
    Yeah, Edmond will never get unique and rare places like Fuzzy's Tacos, Uptown Grocers, Skinny Slims, The Patriarch, and more if we don't allow these electronic signs. Edmond's economic growth has been so stagnant with the restrictions in place and sales tax revenue is terrible.

On the Pops "bottle" was there even an attempt to do that in Edmond?

OKC has every single one of those things you mentioned with the sole excpetions if the Patriarch, but in sure Norman has one.

Edmond sucks. I can not wait to get out of it. You completely fail to see the bigger picture like all of the other washed up idiots who voted to ban them.

This is not a democracy and less than 3% of the population showed up to vote on this proposition.

Fuzzy Tacos, yeah, Edmond is getting one in a car oriented area. OKC and Norman already have them in walkable areas.

Skinny Slims started in OKC.

Uptown Grocery is lipstick on a pig and OKC already has Crest Fresh Market and Whole Foods which puts Uptown to shame.

Like I said, I bet OKC and Norman already have concepts like the Patriach.

As for the Pops Bottle, I don't know where you heard that, but my understanding was Aubrey or his wife didn't want to build it in Edmond and had issues getting it approved in Arcadia.

Also, funny to note if you go to the OKC/Edmond boundaries you suddenly have more business across the street in OKC City limits. If retailers and unique businesses wanted to be in Edmond, they'd be there, but yet they all choose to go to Memorial Road where there are less restrictions on how the city tells them they can operate their business.

So the sole thing Edmond has that might not even be unique is the Patriarch. Pops isn't located in Edmond and the majority of the city is filled with sh!t shopping centers and strip malls.

Edmond is not that nice of a city and it is perplexing to me why people around here say it is. I guess that shows you how low standards in Oklahoma are.

It can become nice and I'm sure it will. This ban will be overturned in the next five years and hopefully by that time we'll have progressed even more.

Btw, one other thing Edmond has I found out last night that blew me away was the Fox Lake trail. Edmond trails are amazing and the way they light them up is beautiful.

Hrm, I'd love for someone to drive to those businesses on Memorial and take some pictures of animated signs that wouldn't be allowed in Edmond. I can't think of many (if any) there.

It's about traffic. Memorial and Penn and Memorial and May are the two highest traffic intersections in Oklahoma. Gee... gosh, gee willikers.. I wish someone could figure out why businesses would want to be located in a high traffic area that can pull customers from Edmond AND North OKC. Geeze.. it's a conundrum.

Edmond is seeing lots of unique economic growth, and if the best you can say is that Norman and OKC each have one too for some of the businesses here... well, that's pretty darn impressive. Out of the metro, these businesses choose OKC (biggest city in the state), Norman (hip college town) and Edmond. But you're right, Edmond sucks, no business wants to be here, and blah, blah, blah.

Whatever. I wish one of these times when you promised to never post in the Edmond forum again, you'd keep your word.

So now your going to try and tell me retailers just look at traffic counts? Change your criteria to make yourself look better.

also, can you please explain to me where you got that I was saying this
    If the best you can say is Norman and OKC each have one too
    Where did i say that?

I pointed out all of the busiesses you said that are unique to the metro are already here.

You want me to point out all of the unique developments in Norman and OKC that Edmond doesn't have? On second thought, please don't make me do that becasue it will take too long to write down.

Oh wait, Edmond did have something entirely unique to the metro proposed, what happened to that? Oh yeah, the developer pacied up and left because of all the opposition to it because of the typical Edmond backlash, more crime, traffic, and noise. Funny.

Edmond sucks. I can not wait to get out of it. You completely fail to see the bigger picture like all of the other washed up idiots who voted to ban them.
    rude.

i fail to see how electronic message signs would improve edmond. i believe it would do the opposite aesthetically, and that's why i voted to ban them.

like jerry said, edmond seems to have done fine without them before now, and i'm sure edmond will be fine without them in the future.

rude. I'm done arguing with insanity. It's over, they're banned, less than five years from now the ban will be over turned. Wonder what they'll do with all of the ones that were built, oh wait, less than five of them over the last year were built; but wait, according to you they would contribute to blight. Funny how something hat isn't even there contributes to blight.

So instead of voting and pushing for things that make sense we're voting and pushing for things that set us back behind the times. Typical Oklahoma community.

rude. I'm done arguing with insanity. It's over, they're banned, less than five years from now the ban will be over turned. Wonder what they'll do with all of the ones that were built, oh wait, less than five of them over the last year were built; but wait, according to you they would contribute to blight. Funny how something hat isn't even there contributes to blight.

So instead of voting and pushing for things that make sense we're voting and pushing for things that set us back behind the times. Typical Oklahoma community.
    what i stated was my opinion. are we not allowed to express our opinions on a public message board?

and stop with the name calling already... "washed up idiots". grow up and quit being irrational - maybe others will take you more seriously.

More crap and no direct responses to any my points because you don't have anything else to say besides whine and bitch.

I tell you what, I'll do you a favor. Done trying to improve crap.

More crap and no direct responses to any my points because you don't have anything else to say besides whine and bitch.
    what points would you like me to respond to?

I'm ok with the ban. Personally I think that many of these electronic signs are obnoxious. They add to visual pollution. and there are many that hamper night time vision when driving. ... IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    I'm ok with the ban. Personally I think that many of these electronic signs are obnoxious. They add to visual pollution. and there are many that hamper night time vision when driving. ... IMO.
    A lot of people forget about light pollution (and granted this isn't limited to electronic message signs). I used to be able to go into my backyard and watch stars and see events with a telescope, but in the past 10-15 years that's gone away with so many new light sources in my area of town. Of course, when I moved in there, 33rd was two lane, and 33rd and Santa Fe was a stop sign.

when we moved out southeast of Arcadia in 2004, the sky and horizon was like that. Stars as far as the eye could see and virtually complete darkness on moonless nights. 10 years later when we moved back into Edmond, the stars were getting drowned out for all the lights and encroachment out that direction.

We lived on a hill top, and I remember when Kickingbird golf course installed the lights for their night time driving range. One night, I looked to the west and thought "what the hell is that?" ... The light on the horizon was so bright and pointing our direction ...
    It pissed me off enough to where I jumped in my truck and took a drive to find out where the light was coming from, and I found it. .... 12 miles to the west at Danforth & Bryant. The neighborhood just to the east of the driving range was drenched in light,... lit up almost like daytime. I felt sorry for them. I think the golf course, or the city got enough complaints because after a couple weeks, the light were either re directed to point more at the ground, or they were changed out to some that weren't so bright.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    when we moved out southeast of Arcadia in 2004, the sky and horizon was like that. Stars as far as the eye could see and virtually complete darkness on moonless nights. 10 years later when we moved back into Edmond, the stars were getting drowned out for all the lights and encroachment out that direction.

We lived on a hill top, and I remember when Kickingbird golf course installed the lights for their night time driving range. One night, I looked to the west and thought "what the hell is that?" ... The light on the horizon was so bright and pointing our direction ...
    It pissed me off enough to where I jumped in my truck and took a drive to find out where the light was coming from, and I found it. .... 12 miles to the west at Danforth & Bryant. The neighborhood just to the east of the driving range was drenched in light,... lit up almost like daytime. I felt sorry for them. I think the golf course, or the city got enough complaints because after a couple weeks, the light were either re directed to point more at the ground, or they were changed out to some that weren't so bright.
    I remember as a kid in the 80's being able to see Halley's comet. We were able to view it from our house in Timber Ridge in Edmond, and we also went down to a viewing at the zoo to be able to see it on a bigger, special telescope (stood in line for hours). I can't imagine being able to view anything from the zoo at this point, with all the light pollution there.

As an Edmond resident I don't give a rip about electronic signage. If electronic signage is the only thing keeping a development from happening then that's pretty pathetic.

There are many things I would change about Edmond, but there are so many good things about my city that I will choose to focus on the positive. I would wish for that same sort of serenity to be found for Panda. He sounds very unhappy.

Based on yesterday's supreme court decision regarding the rights of municipalities to restrict signage, I'm wondering if the proper lawsuit might be able to get the recently passed proposition thrown out. My layman's understanding of the decision is that a town cannot restrict signage that communicates one type of message if it allows others, and the Edmond ordinance permits time and temperature signs and gasoline pricing signs.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Based on yesterday's supreme court decision regarding the rights of municipalities to restrict signage, I'm wondering if the proper lawsuit might be able to get the recently passed proposition thrown out. My layman's understanding of the decision is that a town cannot restrict signage that communicates one type of message if it allows others, and the Edmond ordinance permits time and temperature signs and gasoline pricing signs.
    David,
    And what about the large cross at I-35 and Edmond Rd.? I believe it's currently Life Church.
    C. T.

Eh, I'm not sure.. it seems to me the ruling has to do with content, and the type of entities putting up signs, not zoning restrictions. I could be reading it wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    David,
    And what about the large cross at I-35 and Edmond Rd.? I believe it's currently Life Church.
    C. T.
    I'm not following how that is relevant to the specific topic at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Eh, I'm not sure.. it seems to me the ruling has to do with content, and the type of entities putting up signs, not zoning restrictions. I could be reading it wrong though.
    The reason I'm wondering about this is that Edmond's restriction arguably allows some content (time and temperature signs and gasoline pricing signs) while disallowing others. It's entirely possible that I'm chasing a rabbit trail here since Edmond may be perfectly willing to allow non-electronic signs with no restrictions based on type of content.

Smarter people than me will have to figure this out... it's always hard to know the ramifications of SC rulings.

ctchander's point, I'm guessing, about the giant cross is that now they might have to approve other giant signs? I remember not long after the cross was approved someone tried to get a variance to put a giant sign up with a crab on top.

Thread Information