Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toughest Music Trivia Question Ever

Default Toughest Music Trivia Question Ever

Maybe this is more of a "music mystery" than "trivia" but since there are a lot of people who visit this site who are far more in tune with modern music and artists than I am, I thought I'd try to get an answer to my question in here.

I often find myself listening to The Spy during my (usually later than most people's) PM Drivetime.
    Last Thursday night, just before 8:00 pm, I was tuned into The Oklahoma Rock Show. At least I think it had to be that program, but other factors have me wondering if it was. When they finally posted the playlist for that edition of the show there was nothing on it, that would have played at the time I was listening, that matches up with what I heard on air. The on-air announcer mentioned just having played the entire new Jessie Aycock album and that's what the playlist indicates it was. However, I did some checking online and nothing by Jessie A. matches what I listened to.

The song featured a female vocalist (or at least the vocalist sounded female). Both the lyrics and the arrangment were . . . "surrealistic" (for lack of a better term). The sound reminded me a lot of some of those old Cowboy Junkie songs (sort of weird and "echo-y").

Part of the song, that is, the part that was near the end of the first cut by whoever this was or just before a "break" in the song leading into the second part of the same song by the same artist, had something to do with driving down a long, dark, highway--apparently looking for something--taking an exit ramp, encountering a rusted (or rusty) sign, turning around and driving back home.

As I said, the arrangement was "surrealistic", heavily layered, and included some of that 'being played backwards' music that you might have heard on some of the old, more "progressive" tunes by the Beatles.

This is like having a song stuck in my head . . . except only the shadow of a song that I can't identify. It will bug me for awhile, then it won't, but in the meantime, any guesses on what this piece might have been and who might have performed it? I know the clues are extremely vague, but those are all I have to give.

P.S. I did NOT imagine all this, nor was I under the influence of anything organic or otherwise. =)

Default Re: Toughest Music Trivia Question Ever

The description of female voice, echoey and Cowboy Junkie sound make me think of Mazzy Star. Could it be them? Have you tried Googling any lines or lyics that you remember?

3. Default Re: Toughest Music Trivia Question Ever

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    The description of female voice, echoey and Cowboy Junkie sound make me think of Mazzy Star. Could it be them? Have you tried Googling any lines or lyics that you remember?
    I had this happen with the song Fade Into You by Mazzy Star..... It was playing one morning as my radio alarm came on and the chord changes caught my attention but the DJ never said who it was. Took me a couple of years to find out who it was.

Hmmm...if it was the Oklahoma Rock Show that means all local (or with Okie ties) so that rules out Mazzy Star. Did you listen to the playlist on there?
    Wonder if it was St. Vincent?

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    Hmmm...if it was the Oklahoma Rock Show that means all local (or with Okie ties) so that rules out Mazzy Star. Did you listen to the playlist on there?
    Wonder if it was St. Vincent?
    But he's not convinced it was Oklahoma Rock Show. So that leaves the gate wide open. Hard to narrow this one down.

Hope Sandoval does have an ethereal voice. Besides Mazzy Starr she has collaborated with a few groups.

ok rock show is 7-9 thursdays, so if he was listening around 8, then it must've been that show.

email 'em and see if they can figure it out for you: spylocal@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    Hope Sandoval does have an ethereal voice. Besides Mazzy Starr she has collaborated with a few groups.
    Mmmmmm Hope Sandoval....

Ohh man, don't tease me with doughnuts. I can't have them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I tried Googling the lyrics. In fact, I tried several times. Result: Nada. Zip.
    This is not to say it wasn't Mazzy Star.
    In any case, it was a very interesting drivetime radio moment.
    In, fact, it was exceptionally interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I had this happen with the song Fade Into You by Mazzy Star..... It was playing one morning as my radio alarm came on and the chord changes caught my attention but the DJ never said who it was. Took me a couple of years to find out who it was.
    I promise that I won't spend a couple of years on getting the answer to this question. =)
    (yet . . . maybe I will attempt to research Mazzy Star . . .)

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    ok rock show is 7-9 thursdays, so if he was listening around 8, then it must've been that show.

email 'em and see if they can figure it out for you: spylocal@gmail.com
    I already did all that. Plus the Facebook page. This all still remains a mystery.
    Not an "important" mystery . . . just a trivial one.

I'm hoping I hit 200 about the time I figure out the answer to this mystery.
    I will have a donut to celebrate.

I wasn't teasing you with doughnuts......I was teasing you with Hope Sandoval

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I promise that I won't spend a couple of years on getting the answer to this question. =)
    (yet . . . maybe I will attempt to research Mazzy Star . . .)
    Music trivia is something that I excel at and I have been racking my brain trying to figure out the mystery with no answers.
    Caught this on some bumper music from the Art Bell show years ago and had to know who the artist was.

Just this afternoon, again on an NPR affiliate, right after some lady bitc.....noting how offensive it was for Sports Illustrated to be featuring Barbie next to the regular swimsuit models for the Swimsuit Edition on account of conversations you have with your kids, etc., regarding "the objectification of females" and whatnot, they played some pretty cool, "retro-cover" stuff (of the Beatles) by some group named "Temple" or "Temples" or something like that. I thought they were the next best Beatles imitators since Badfinger. =)

Maybe this--that is, the solution to The Mystery of The Unnamed Audio Clip--could make a great answer--when phrased in the form of a question--for the Ultra Championship on Jeopardy?
    (nah . . . even Alex Trabek would be non plussed. and he's Canadian!)

P.S. to Achilles: I was a genius at the original Genus Edition of Trivial Pursuit.

"I thought they were the next best Beatles imitators since Badfinger".

LOL classic...........

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    "I thought they were the next best Beatles imitators since Badfinger".

LOL classic...........
    p.p.s. see above p.s.

Heck all the time I thought Paul McCartney and Wings were the best Beatles tribute band. I will have to check out this Badfinger band you speak of. Are any of the members still hanging around?

Hmmmm..temple is still pretty broad lol. But at least we got a word this time. Here goes.

21. Default Re: Toughest Music Trivia Question Ever

I will have to check out this Badfinger band you speak of. Are any of the members still hanging around?
    Well played. (Tasteless, to be sure, but definitely well played.)

Quote Originally Posted by windowphobe View Post
    Well played. (Tasteless, to be sure, but definitely well played.)
    Thank you....
    And for the record I do love me some Badfinger.

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    Hmmmm..temple is still pretty broad lol. But at least we got a word this time. Here goes.
    That was very Cowsill-esque.
    I think after all this there needs to be a monetary award for whoever gets the mystery to the quotient.

Although this, that is, the video clip below, is a Cowboy Junkie cover of an old Lou Reed song, the song in question was sort of like it.

(except it had more instrumental layering than this and some of that reverse music effect c/o the pioneering sound of The Beatles.)

Edited to Add: The first time I heard this song, it was when I was roused from my sleep, while watching Saturday Night Live and (the artist) Beck was playing some sort of antique squeeze box to accompany the band. Or maybe that was simply a Beck impersonator. Perhaps on Austin City Limits. =)

That was very Cowsill-esque.
    I think after all this there needs to be a monetary award for whoever gets the mystery to the quotient.
    I'll admit I'm not familiar with the cowsills. The name sounds kind of familiar but that's about it

Thread Information