Default Re: Sunbeam Old Campus

Try this:
    SIRE Public Access

Then click this:
    Case No. 13868: Application for Special Exception - 13868 support.pdf

or this if you want to be annoyed:
    Case No. 13868: Application for Special Exception - 13868 protest.pd

I updated the article at the top of the page to reflect a new plan which will take $400K in grant money to renovate the former children's home into 13 affordable housing units.

The existing office building will likely be leased out and there are two parking lots at either end that may be developed at a future date.

An LLC headed by Marva Ellard just closed on these properties for $1.25 million.

I believe they've received all their design approvals and Sunbeam has moved to their new campus on Classen.

Work could be starting very soon.

Hasn't seemed to be much progress on the northern portion of the project, but I always forget to walk by the cottages on the south side of the project. Does anyone have an update on this project?

Quote Originally Posted by twade View Post
    Hasn't seemed to be much progress on the northern portion of the project, but I always forget to walk by the cottages on the south side of the project. Does anyone have an update on this project?
    I walked by this morning. There continues to be no visible progress on the two larger buildings...and it doesn't look like much progress has been made on two of the three homes on the southern side of the property. However, I did notice a contractor working on the middle of the three homes.

This is still moving forward.

OCURA will vote to extend the original timeline in its meeting tomorrow as it took more time than planned to secure funding.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is still moving forward.

OCURA will vote to extend the original timeline in its meeting tomorrow as it took more time than planned to secure funding.
    They are renovating one of the houses behind the main building now and basically making it look more like a craftsman bungalow than a late 80s dental office. It's a pretty major improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    They are renovating one of the houses behind the main building now and basically making it look more like a craftsman bungalow than a late 80s dental office. It's a pretty major improvement.
    Took this photo a couple of days ago of one of the three houses they own on 20th (2nd photo is the 'before').

I didn't see any work on the main building or the arc.

I ran into Marva Ellard today and she told me the 'Arc' is now completely full and they will soon start on the main historic structure, renovating into housing.

Should see some movement here soon.

Affordable housing project moving forward in Mesta Park

The Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority is set to approve redevelopment of the old Sunbeam Family Services campus to housing, half of which will be priced as affordable.

The property at 620 NW 21st was purchased from Sunbeam in 2014 by a group headed by local developer Marva Ellard. Ellard owns and redeveloped the historic Sieber Hotel in Midtown.

Sunbeam moved to a new headquarters on Classen a few years ago.

Progress on the project has been slow after OCURA originally awarded the Contract for Redevelopment in 2014 and then amended the agreement in 2015.

The development group has now secured financing to convert the structure to 13 apartments. The agreement mandates seven of the units be rented to low- and moderate-income households as defined by federal regulations.

The move comes as demand for affordable housing intensifies as rents and for sale properties continue to skyrocket in the city's core.

I had a meeting in there the last week before they moved over into the new campus, and it is a cool, old building that will need A LOT of love. It's good to hear that someone with similar experience is taking over here.

Does anyone here know what low or moderate income housing is classified as in OKC by federal regulations? Or know where I can find those regulations?

Any update on these apartments? Are we thinking 2018-2019?

Quote Originally Posted by HHE View Post
    Any update on these apartments? Are we thinking 2018-2019?
    Absolutely no movement thus far:

Absolutely no movement thus far:

Well I guess there is no demand for affordable apartments in a historic area close to downtown and in a premier elementary school. Oh well better luck next time /sarcasm.

The first of the remodeled group home houses has hit the market:

Zillow

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    The first of the remodeled group home houses has hit the market:

Zillow
    There were two more group homes as part of this property... Has anything happened with them? Last time I went by they looked untouched.

I admire Ms. Ellard's work at the Seiber, but she is holding onto valuable properties that would already have been completed and occupied by now if other developers had them, like the four-plex just north of the Pump along with the neighboring bungalows. She also is purchasing Villa Theresa. Is she biting off more than she can chew? Hopefully these other properties will be developed at a quicker pace to meet demand.

I thought something was finally happening here after taking this photo this morning, but further investigation revealed this corner lot has been spun off to a local builder who is constructing a small spec house.

A spec house? Do tell.

I also noticed spray-painted red Xs on the door and sidelights of the main former Sunbeam building. Do you have any information on that?

The owner is a vet from Vinita so may be a (semi) retirement place; or maybe just an investment.

Builder is Greg McAlister who is doing the first housing at the Wheeler District.

The owner is a vet from Vinita so may be a (semi) retirement place; or maybe just an investment.

Builder is Greg McAlister who is doing the first housing at the Wheeler District.
    McAlister Construction does great work. They are becoming something of the "builder of choice" in Mesta because they are adept at working with the Historical Preservation rules and regs (and they have tremendously popsitive word of mouth).

Greg McAlister himself lives in one of the rare new construction homes in Mesta.

But to that property, if memory serves that was originally proposed as townhouses, right?

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    But to that property, if memory serves that was originally proposed as townhouses, right?
    Marva Ellard told the Oklahoman the longer term plan "may also include new, low-density multifamily housing to be built in adjoining lots owned by Sunbeam".

There is another small lot on the east side of The Arc.

Good to hear it's a respected builder. Infill in historic neighborhoods can be dicey.

This is the home being built next to the old Sunbeam building.

And believe it or not, they have finally filed a building permit to convert the main building to housing.

Thread Information