Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Memorial and MacArthur

Far North Memorial and MacArthur

This is first in a series of taking one important intersection and identifying most the key businesses and what is planned.

This area is booming of late, due mainly to the strong residential construction (Deer Creek schools) and the proximity to ProCure and Mercy Hospital.

The northwest corner is largely undeveloped but is owned by investors who hope to sell off several individual parcels for development.

Click the links for more information on each.

Key Businesses

• ProCure: $120 million proton therapy (cancer) facility; opened in 2009
    • Mercy Rehab Center: $22 million, 50 bed facility opened in 2012
    • Deaconess Family Care West
    • Bank of Oklahoma
    • Legacy Bank
    • IBC Bank

Under Construction

• Tommy's Italian-American Grill: 6,100 square foot restaurant under construction. Owned by Tommy Byrd of Bellini's fame. Also operated a restaurant by that same name in Northpark Mall for a while.
    • Revolve Pizza: A new build-your-own pizza concept.
    • Retail space: Space for lease in the same building as Revolve.
    • Springs at MacArthur Apartments: $20 million project

Future Development

• Home2 Suites: 11/13/13 a building permit was issued for a 4-story hotel.
    • Hawthorn Suites: Plot right next to Home2 to be a Hawthorn Suites hotel.
    • Hotel west of Hawthorn: Plot owned by a local group that has developed multiple hotel properties.
    • Mathis Brothers Sleep Studio: Acquired by Mathis Brothers in late 2012 under Sleep Studio Properties LLC
    • Galardia: More homes are planned for area shown in aerial above with oval street.

Default Re: Memorial and MacArthur

Awesome. It's amazing how much OKC's hotel space is growing, both urban and suburban. Is this normal for cities, or is OKC experiencing a major hotel construction boom?

Whatever happened to the possiblity of a Warren Theater in this area? I remember talk of one possibly going in on the NE corner of Memorial and MacArthur. Is that dead in the water?

The Warren deal died years ago.

But you are right, there was open talk of them coming to this intersection at one time.

Hotel space is needed there, actually suprised there isn't more considering Mercy's proximity and ProCure (I guess 74 & Memorial is close enough).

Excited for this area since it's not far from the casa.

So that NE corner is zoned for commercial construction only?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFP View Post
    Whatever happened to the possiblity of a Warren Theater in this area? I remember talk of one possibly going in on the NE corner of Memorial and MacArthur. Is that dead in the water?
    It died after 2008. It would be nice if it would be revived though now that the economy is better. However, I think if it were to happen it may be the undoing of the Quail Springs Mall theater, which is substandard but popular due to being the only option for Edmond/Far North OKC.

I really think this area needs a grocery store. The Homeland at 122nd and Rockwell is as good as it gets. The Crest at Hefner and Rockwell is one of the worst in the chain. Most people simply drive to the Super Target on Memorial and Penn or the Wal-Mart at the same intersection, but with all the growth and money in the Memorial/MacArthur area it would seem ripe for a better option. Crest should close the store at Hefner and Rockwell and build a Crest Fresh Market.

It seemed that the Chisholm Creek development on Western and Memorial may be another place where a theater would work, though they were talking about wanting to develop a live television/concert venue there. They may not want a movie theater in the same development. I would love to see Warren take another look at a theater up this way closer to where I live! I have never been to the one in Moore. Just seemed like too long a drive just for a movie when other (albeit lesser) options were nearby. Maybe something like an Alamo Drafthouse or other movie/restaurant combo concept instead...

i think tommys and revolve need to be flipped

Quote Originally Posted by traemac View Post
    i think tommys and revolve need to be flipped
    No, they are correct. Just double-checked on the County Assessor site.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    No, they are correct. Just double-checked on the County Assessor site.
    Tommys adress is 5516, revolve is 5500 making tommys the further west location plus if you look at the revolve pics they are next to Earls

Quote Originally Posted by traemac View Post
    Tommys adress is 5516, revolve is 5500 making tommys the further west location plus if you look at the revolve pics they are next to Earls
    I figured it out...

Tommy's was in the right place but Revolve and the retail strip will actually be east of Earl's, so I moved them on the map.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I really think this area needs a grocery store. The Homeland at 122nd and Rockwell is as good as it gets. The Crest at Hefner and Rockwell is one of the worst in the chain. Most people simply drive to the Super Target on Memorial and Penn or the Wal-Mart at the same intersection, but with all the growth and money in the Memorial/MacArthur area it would seem ripe for a better option.
    Couldn't agree more. I live just south of Mercy and would love to see a new grocery store here. I currently split most of my business between the Super Target and the Homeland on Britton and May, neither of which are the most convenient places for me to go. I'll occasionally shop at the Homeland at 122nd & Rockwell if I'm in a hurry, but the nearby Crest just feels super sketchy so I never go in. I doubt that many people in the neighborhoods east of MacArthur and north of 122nd shop at the Homeland, Crest or Walmart Neighborhood Market that are all on Rockwell, so there's definitely a lot of potential customers who might shop at a new nice market should one open up closer to us than Memorial & Penn.

Probably 5 years ago I was talking with the Bank Manager at the BOK there and he told me that the city was planning on this being one of the busiest intersections in the city in the next 10 years. He also said he was told by the Gailardia developer that he was planning a development like the one at 15th and Bryant in Edmond. Now this was years ago and plans always change but it would really fill out the area with the north side of memorial getting developed.

I've updated the graphic in the article above to reflect a new apartment project called the Springs at MacArthur.

A series of building permits today totaling over $10 million.

Th legacy bank logo needs to be moved to the west side of MacArthur, it's the same building as City Bites

This area is taking off and exploding! Good to see the quality of development coming that way! This area really needs a decent supermarket and I can think of other retailers and restaurants that would be a good fit. Pei Wei, Chuys, Eatzi's and Pappadeaux's come to mind!

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    This area is taking off and exploding! Good to see the quality of development coming that way! This area really needs a decent supermarket and I can think of other retailers and restaurants that would be a good fit. Pei Wei, Chuys, Eatzi's and Pappadeaux's come to mind!
    Pappadeaux's is coming to Tulsa. I really wish they would open an OKC location and this intersection is as good as any. I also agree about a grocery store. If the Sprouts rumors are true at 122nd and MacArthur that should really help.

So dirt is now moving at 122nd and MacArthur. Is this confirmed to be a CVS and a Sprouts?

I thought Sprouts didn't build new?

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    I thought Sprouts didn't build new?
    I highly doubt that is the case. I'm almost certain Sprouts has built new stores.

There's a sign in the green space just south of Gallardia that says Promenade and has a rendering on it. Pete, you have any idea when that will begin? It really does look good. Not really a strip, but more of an outdoor upscale, small shopping center.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I highly doubt that is the case. I'm almost certain Sprouts has built new stores.
    I must be thinking of Sunflower before they were bought.

Quote Originally Posted by coov23 View Post
    There's a sign in the green space just south of Gallardia that says Promenade and has a rendering on it. Pete, you have any idea when that will begin? It really does look good. Not really a strip, but more of an outdoor upscale, small shopping center.
    The Promenade will be a residential development.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The Promenade will be a residential development.
    When can we expect it to break ground?

Thread Information