Widgets Magazine

Thread: Mahogany Prime Steak House??

pdjr Guest

Default Mahogany Prime Steak House??

I wish we had one of these here. Call this blatant hype ... I concede that point. Anyone else a fan of this Tulsa restaurant that would relish the opportunity to visit an outpost in OKC?

Jay Guest

Default Re: Mahogany Prime Steak House??

This came off of an artilce about Red Robin on okcbusiness.com

Hal Smith group to build Mahogany
    Red Robin won’t be the only new chain in town. Hal Smith Restaurant Group has just broken ground on its first metro-area Mahogany Prime Steak House.

Introduced in Tulsa off South Yale in 2000 and Omaha, Neb., three years later, Hal Smith’s Mahogany will open in early fall off Memorial Road, just west of Amerisuites and east of the FBI building.

“We call it a classic premiere steakhouse,” said Hank Kraft, chief operating officer for the restaurant group. “It has a cosmopolitan feel of New York to it just like some of the finer steakhouses in New York City.”

The price point for Mahogany is well above most of the restaurant group’s other restaurants, including Charleston’s and the Louie’s brand restaurants. While Kraft said the per-person price range will be between $18 and $35, the Tulsa location features menu items ala carte and the per-person price can easily exceed $35. The restaurant also has an impressive wine list.

Ironically, though, Mahogany in Tulsa is located adjacent to Charleston’s and, despite being pricier and more upscale, has nonetheless flourished in the market.

The Oklahoma City location will require about 60 to 65 employees and seat about 160 people. Three separate dining rooms of various sizes will house 35 to 40 tables and reservations will be strongly encouraged, Kraft said.

“We picked the location because of the northern exposure to Gaillardia, Quail Creek and Nichols Hills can come from the other direction,” he said. “That turnpike is picking up more traffic every day plus [the location] is just on the edge of the north side so we’ll pick up Edmond.”

He added with the rumors circulating that other chains new to the metro also will be building in the near vicinity, the Hal Smith Restaurant Group was excited with its decision to expand to Oklahoma City.

“We see tremendous growth out there with these three other restaurants going in. We’ve seen a big boom in the last year and half and I think it will continue to grow,” he said.

Kraft shared the land on which Mahogany is being built, which is owned by Stonegate Hogan, but that the Hal Smith Restaurant Group will retain ownership of the actual building.

Jeff Parker with TAParchitecture is the lead architect for the project, but the restaurant group is using its own in-house talent to fill the role as general contractor.

3. Default Re: Mahogany Prime Steak House??

I love a good steak but to be honest sometimes the prices charged are so outrageous, it takes away the enjoyment.

We went to Ruth Chris' in Vegas - oh my goodness. The steaks were about $40.00 each, the baked potato was $7, salad $7, vegetable $7, salt and pepper $3 ( kidding) but seriously, I felt like a running calculator - every bite I took I thought, well that was $4 worth! It was good and I enjoyed the dinner but it was so pricey. Nice for a once in awhile treat. For a party of 8 and two of us only had salads, it came to over $500.00. ouch
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

4. Default Re: Mahogany Prime Steak House??

Quote Originally Posted by Karried
    I love a good steak but to be honest sometimes the prices charged are so outrageous, it takes away the enjoyment.

We went to Ruth Chris' in Vegas - oh my goodness. The steaks were about $40.00 each, the baked potato was $7, salad $7, vegetable $7, salt and pepper $3 ( kidding) but seriously, I felt like a running calculator - every bite I took I thought, well that was $4 worth! It was good and I enjoyed the dinner but it was so pricey. Nice for a once in awhile treat. For a party of 8 and two of us only had salads, it came to over $500.00. ouch
    And I bet you had to fill out a credit application, giving a ten year employement history, minumum income requirements, three credit references, plus pass a criminal background check. (lol)

It would have to be my election to the office of God for me to spend that kind of scratch on a meal.

pdjr Guest

Thanks for the heads-up, OklaCity_75.

Karried, I know the feeling, but I'm a sucker for good beef. By the way, I have an amazing recipe from restauranteur Daniel Boulud in Manhattan that will shave a hefty amount off the cost of a delicious steak. Let me know if you want it. It's the closest alternative I've found to the extremely high-heat ovens used in pro kitchens.

pdjr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson
    ... It would have to be my election to the office of God for me to spend that kind of scratch on a meal.
    I miss my expense account.

7. Default Re: Mahogany Prime Steak House??

I have an amazing recipe from restauranteur Daniel Boulud in Manhattan
    I would love that recipe - thanks! Nothing like a steak that melts in your mouth....well, maybe when you pair it with lobster and melted butter.

I'm hungry izza:

Quote Originally Posted by pdjr
    Thanks for the heads-up, OklaCity_75.

Karried, I know the feeling, but I'm a sucker for good beef. By the way, I have an amazing recipe from restauranteur Daniel Boulud in Manhattan that will shave a hefty amount off the cost of a delicious steak. Let me know if you want it. It's the closest alternative I've found to the extremely high-heat ovens used in pro kitchens.
    I'm interested in that recipe as well.

Jay Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson
    And I bet you had to fill out a credit application, giving a ten year employement history, minumum income requirements, three credit references, plus pass a criminal background check. (lol)

It would have to be my election to the office of God for me to spend that kind of scratch on a meal.

I think regardless of how much money you make you should splurge on something crazy every once in awhile. Rather its a big screen tv, an expensive meal, a vehicle or a vacation you should always budget money for someway to spoil yourself at least two or three times a year.

If nothing else it will make your life a little more enjoyable.

10. Default Re: Mahogany Prime Steak House??

Quote Originally Posted by OklaCity_75
    I think regardless of how much money you make you should splurge on something crazy every once in awhile. Rather its a big screen tv, an expensive meal, a vehicle or a vacation you should always budget money for someway to spoil yourself at least two or three times a year.

If nothing else it will make your life a little more enjoyable.
    Splurge is one thing. I do it on occasion, like the notebook computer I really could not afford yet. However, spending $500.00 for a meal? That is not splurging. To me, that is wasting money.

pdjr Guest

WARNING: USE ONLY A WELL SEASONED CAST-IRON SKILLET

1) Buy the best cut of meat you can. Go to a butcher. Bone-in ribeyes, regular rib-eyes and tenderloins are especially good cuts.

2) Let the meat reach room temperature. Never pan-fry cold meat.

3) Rub both sides with a little olive oil. Oil is optional. Don't use too much or it will generate excessive smoke.

4) Sprinke each side with freshly-ground pepper (mixed peppercorns, or all black or Tellicherry, my favorite).

5) Sprinkle each wide with coarse sea salt (preferably Hawaiian Red or Japanese Nazuna or Fleur de Gris). Save the Fleur de Sel for final adjustments as it is much to expensive to use during the cooking process.

4) Optionally, LIGHTLY dust each side with your favorite seasoning like Cavander's Greek Seasoning or Old Bay Seasoning. The key here is to taste the meat. Use more optional seasonings like these on cheaper cuts.

5) Rub the salt, pepper and seasonings in very well. Flip and rub and add. Flip and rub and add some more, etc.

6) Let the meat rest until it reaches room temperature.

7) Turn on your over to 500 and put the CAST-IRON skillet on the middle rack.

8) Watch the oven indicator light. When it reaches 500 and the light goes off, remove the pan with very heavy-duty cooking mits and place the skillet on a burner. Turn the burner on high for at least two minutes. Open the windows, put the fire detector on the floor and turn on the vent hood.

9) After a couple of minutes, put the meat in the pan. It will sizzle and smoke like crazy. You want this. Restaurants flame-sear at 1500 degrees so you want to get that pan as hot as you can. Gas burners work very well.

10) After 60 seconds, flip the meat using tongs. Never pierce it with a fork, etc.

11) After 60 seconds, both sides are nicely seared. Now turn down the heat to medium.

12) Flip the meat every two minutes. Watch the tiny little beads of blood appear on the surface. Inhale. Yum.

13) For a 3/4 inch steak, I cook about 4 minutes after the searing for rare (for a total of 6 minutes). For a 1 inch steak, I cook about 8 minutes for rare for a total of 10 minutes).

14) Test for doneness by pressing the steak, never piercing it or you will lose the heavenly juice. Rare feels like when you press the inside of your hand near your thumb with your hand open. Medium feels like when you press the middle of you hand with it open. Medium and on up feels like when you press the back of your hand. This takes some practice.

15) Remove the steak to a plate, cover with foil and let it rest for ten minutes. The meat will continue cooking during this phase, so you might end up with meat that's cooked past your preference until you practice a couple of times.

16) Sprinkle with Fleur de Sel and enjoy. I never use sauce. When you cut into it for the first time, juices will flow like wine.

17) The crusty bits in the pan make a great reduction. After removing the meat, turn down the heat, pour in a liquid, scratch all the crusty bits around and reduce. I use chicken stock and even a really good balsamic sometimes. There are literally hundreds of good combinations for these types of reduction sauces.

12. Default Re: Mahogany Prime Steak House??

That sounds heavenly - It's all pan seared?

pdjr Guest

Yep, I've also been know to sear on the burner, then finish in the over at a much reduced temperature. Let me know how you like it. I'm a recipe hog. This is one of my favorites, though.

Thread Information