Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: James C. Nance Memorial Bridge(bridge between Purcell and Lexington) Closed

Default James C. Nance Memorial Bridge(bridge between Purcell and Lexington) Closed

This seems like a pretty big deal for the people who live there. If I recall right, it used to just be 2 or 3 miles to cross now turns into a 30 mile detour.

CLEVELAND COUNTY, Oklahoma - The James C. Nance Memorial Bridge connecting Purcell and Lexington is expected to be closed for several months.

According to the Oklahoma Department of Transportation, on Monday, the Oklahoma Transportation Commission asked probing questions to ODOT engineers on ways to expedite repairs to the bridge, which was shut down on Friday, January 31.

Authorities say 22 cracks were found in the bridge beams, ranging from one inch to almost seven inches. The bridge, which has a similar design to the Minnesota I-35W bridge that collapsed in 2007, has cracks severe enough that the bridge could potentially collapse under its own weight.
    It is estimated that a contract will be awarded in March following specialized design plans by truss bridge experts Modjeski and Masters, who were consulted because of the bridge's fracture critical design.

ODOT officials say they are in the early stages of preparing a replacement for the bridge, but construction is likely years away due to the $40 million price tag.

- Bridge Connecting Purcell, Lexington Closed For Several Months - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Default Re: James C. Nance Memorial Bridge(bridge between Purcell and Lexington) Closed

LEXINGTON, Oklahoma - Tempers flare in the small cities and towns near Purcell and Lexington as motorists try to get used to a new reality in the area. The bridge connecting Lexington and Purcell is shut down and many people now have a 34 mile detour to deal with for a trip that used to be only a mile long.
    "I'm doing a hundred and forty miles," said Don Mills. "Seventy miles, round trip."

Mills has to drop his wife off and pick her up from a job just over the bridge in Purcell. He is not alone. According to a spokesperson with the Oklahoma Department of Transportation, 9,000 vehicles were traveling across the bridge every day before it was shut down.

- http://www.news9.com/story/24635416/...ton-to-purcell
    Well, I was close

Default Re: James C. Nance Memorial Bridge(bridge between Purcell and Lexington) Closed

I wonder how much more that $40 million replacement structure will have to wait with Fallin's proposed 5% funding cuts to reduce state tax rates to the richest Oklahomans.

This is really crazy. How sucky would it be to live in Lexington right about now. What if people end up moving because of this, Lexington could become a ghost town.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    I wonder how much more that $40 million replacement structure will have to wait with Fallin's proposed 5% funding cuts to reduce state tax rates to the richest Oklahomans.
    Don't want to make this political, but I really can't understand her reasoning behind increased spending and decreasing the tax revenue.

6. Default Re: James C. Nance Memorial Bridge(bridge between Purcell and Lexington) Closed

The lack of river crossings down this was is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Don't want to make this political, but I really can't understand her reasoning behind increased spending and decreasing the tax revenue.
    You can pass the 8th grade Math EOC exam. Not too sure about some of the people in the big gray buildings on 23rd Street.

What a mess this is!!

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    The lack of river crossings down this was is ridiculous.
    This is obviously a major problem for them but there is little that would have justified more river crossings in that area and you can't just build spare bridges to be used in case one gets closed.

10. Default Re: James C. Nance Memorial Bridge(bridge between Purcell and Lexington) Closed

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    This is obviously a major problem for them but there is little that would have justified more river crossings in that area and you can't just build spare bridges to be used in case one gets closed.
    Perhaps could be one west out of Slaughterville that ran to I-35 or better yet one out of Noble. There really isn't any reason why someone should have to drive up to Norman and take Hwy 9 around.

noble needs a river crossing and connection to I-35.

It appears that this is going to be fast tracked.

Governor to discuss Purcell bridge repairs | News OK

Going to be hard to do anything with this bridge with 5% coming off ODOT's budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Dar405301 View Post
    noble needs a river crossing and connection to I-35.
    We need bridge over the river in the Noble / SE Norman area that would give those folks better access to I-35 and help relive congestion.

There has been a proposed east metro bypass. A bridge over the river should be part of this bypass.

Faster than I would have anticipated merely a few days ago. Credit where credit is due. This is not a densely populated area, but that bridge is important to a significant portion of the population which is present.

Some good news.

ODOT Make Progress In Fixing Bridge Between Purcell And Lexington

OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma Department of Transportation made another step forward in the process of fixing and re-opening the James C. Nance bridge that connects Purcell and Lexington.
    The bridge was closed down on January 31 after inspectors deemed it to be unsafe. Since then, business owners and commuters have complained about the problems the closure has caused.

According to ODOT, the bridge was closed after 17 cracks were found by inspectors on some of the 264 load-bearing areas of the bridge. ODOT crews have been taking steps to prevent more cracks from developing but the next step will be to get a contractor in place to make additional repairs and install reinforcements at each of the 264 places on the bridge.

"They're going to put in two splints of either side of the area of the crack and running a rod through to where even if the crack was formed again, then the weight of the bridge and the amount of weight that would be on this bridge could still be sustained by the repairs we're putting in place," said Terri Angier with ODOT.

ODOT's guidelines for the project include a $5million base repair estimate. The contractor will have to complete all repairs within 120 and have the bridge open to passenger cars within 45 days. Angier said ODOT expects bidders to come in with an even shorter timetable and said there are big incentives to finish early.

- ODOT Make Progress In Fixing Bridge Between Purcell And Lexingto - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Remember several years ago when a Barge struck the bridge on the Ark River and I-40 was Shut down, ODOT is using the same Bidding procedures to get this up and passable with in the shortest time frame they can .. Lots of bonuses if they beat a deadline and Penalty's if they miss it .. the Contractor who got the Bid on the I-40 Bridge got like 2 million extra for beating the ODOT deadline for completion (like 2500 per day either way)

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    If it works pretty good to get victory winning votes, why not keep on doing it?

If any other state agency showed this level of incompetence heads would be rolling - starting at the top. So what inoculates ODOT and Secretary of Transportation Ridley from consequences?

Oklahoma Transportation Department repairs caused bridge cracks, officials say | NewsOK.com

wow.... ODOT really needs a complete overhaul. We need to be able to take out loans for certain road and highway projects and ODOT should also be relieved of their influence the rails and a new rail department needs to be formed.

There is legislation pending that would establish an Oklahoma Rail Commission outside of ODOT with virtually zero added cost to the state budget. Yet it has been held in Senate Committee so the Gov will not be put on the spot and forcing her to veto or sign. You know - demonstrate a little leadership outside of the talking points provided by handlers.

Any chance it will be considered this year? That sucks they are holding it.

Not sure - I suggest calling your state rep and Senator and ask them to pass it. Word was there were sufficient votes to override a veto and one of the Senators was trying to shield the Gov from having a veto overridden. I'll find the Bill numbers for you.

Thread Information