Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: James C. Nance Memorial Bridge(bridge between Purcell and Lexington) Closed

Default Re: James C. Nance Memorial Bridge(bridge between Purcell and Lexington) Closed

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    The toll would encourage people not to cross the bridge, which in turn would result in businesses expanding on both sides of the river to server their customers. Plus, why shouldn't the people in Lexington and Purcell pay for their own bridge? Anyhow, like my previous post, scrap the toll idea if it is too scary.
    Why wouldn't you want the two communities to work together? You really don't like things on a large scale do you? I understand self sufficiency is a good thing most of the time--and I try to be just that, when and where I can--however, it isn't all bad having to rely on other people for things and creating a regional or global trade of commerce.

Default Re: James C. Nance Memorial Bridge(bridge between Purcell and Lexington) Closed

Looks like they are making good progress. ..cannot come soon enough for these communities.

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY S4 using Tapatalk

9. Default Re: James C. Nance Memorial Bridge(bridge between Purcell and Lexington) Closed

I fear this state will never get serious about replacing these old, worthless bridges until one finally gives out and collapses.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    I fear this state will never get serious about replacing these old, worthless bridges until one finally gives out and collapses.
    While still not great Oklahoma has made a serious effort to reduce its bad bridge problems.
    Bad bridges in Oklahoma now rank better than national average | www.krmg.com

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) _ A new study shows Oklahoma has cut its number of
    structurally deficient bridges in half in less than a decade.
    *Department of Transportation Director Mike Patterson presented the figures
    Monday to the agency's governing commission.

Patterson says Federal Highway Commission data shows the number of structurally deficient bridges dropped from
    1,168 in 2005 to 556 currently.

*The state has gone from having 17 percent of its bridges structurally deficient
    to about 8 percent in that same time period

Patterson says the national average is about 11 percent.

Design work is underway to replace Purcell-Lexington bridge | News OK

State transportation officials aren’t waiting on completion of multimillion-dollar repairs to the Purcell-Lexington bridge before beginning work to replace it.
    Environmental and design work on a new bridge are underway already, said Casey Shell, chief engineer for the state Transportation Department.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    Part of the problem here was when they tried to do repair work to the bridge to sure it up between now and when it's replacement is constructed, the 'repair' did far more damage to the underling structure that it fixed.

Update on this:

PURCELL, Oklahoma - Four months after the James C. Nance Bridge that connects Lexington and Purcell closed, motorists got some good news. According to the Oklahoma Department of Transportation, the bridge should be open on or around June 14.
    Crews have been working on the bridge since it was deemed too unsafe to travel across by structural engineers. Cracks formed in areas of the bridge that carry the load. Engineers believed the bridge showed cracking because of the manganese alloy used, which weakened over time.

Since the bridge abruptly closed on February 1, thousands of drivers have had to make a 70-mile round trip detour instead of the usual one mile trip.

Motorists said they were optimistic that the bridge would be opened soon, but many said they would not hold their breath. On the other hand, an ODOT spokeswoman told News 9 the plan is to move these barricades and reopen the bridge. However, big trucks will not be able to cross as police monitor the bridge making sure nothing too heavy tries to cross.

- Crews Working Hard To Open Purcell Bridge On Time - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

14. Default Re: James C. Nance Memorial Bridge(bridge between Purcell and Lexington) Closed

"Gov. Mary Fallin has told ODOT officials she wants to be present when the bridge reopens, Rachel told the council".

If she stays on Hwy 39 she will eventually be in Arkansas..................just a thought.

There are a lot of happy people in Purcell and Lexington today!

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY S4 using Tapatalk

Not just in those towns. This is a pretty big deal for a lot of folks.
    I needed to make a short trip to Purcell the other day. So of course I had to I-35 it both ways.
    Had the bridge already been open, I probably would have taken 77 on the way down.
    The pace there for everything is most definitely charming small town.
    Meandering down 77 helps me adjust to that peaceful pace.

21. Default Re: James C. Nance Memorial Bridge(bridge between Purcell and Lexington) Closed

I got a couple of letters from the local congresscritters letting me know how hard they worked under the bridge getting it all repaired. It was nice of them turning this issue into a political one during an election year.

Quote Originally Posted by eatokc.com View Post
    I got a couple of letters from the local congresscritters letting me know how hard they worked under the bridge getting it all repaired. It was nice of them turning this issue into a political one during an election year.
    As badly as the project went, it seems like you might not want to be associated with the bridge work

Perhaps my logic is off (it often is) but let's look at this. The old weight limit was 40 tons; the new limit is 36 tons. Rather than driving the forty-ton truck to Norman to cross the river why not load the truck to 36 tons and make more trips. I know, I know, the weight of the truck keeps it from being a simple ten trips v. nine trips, but there has to a break-even point and I suspect the drivers are missing it. Do the math guys. I, too, understand the new weight limit is a pain but there just might be a better solution than driving to Norman. Best wishes.

Thread Information